520 Cowper Street, Palo Alto, California, 94301, United States
Official Site Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Palo Alto

Babbo's entranceBabbo's entrance

El Palo Alto -- The town's namesake treeEl Palo Alto -- The town's namesake tree

367 Addison, Palo Alto, CA, ala 1939367 Addison, Palo Alto, CA, ala 1939

Stanford clock tower, and me!Stanford clock tower, and me!

Travel Tips for Palo Alto

In the 1930's there were two...

by bugalugs

In the 1930's there were two dirigibles here, USS Macon (as I mentioned) and USS Akron. These dirigibles are filled with helium. In 1933 just prior to the official opening of the hangar USS Akron crashed killing 73 people including Rear Admiral Muffett. In 1935 USS Akron crashed into the Pacific Ocean near Big Sur. Nasa-Ames Visitors Centre is open Monday-Friday 8am - 4.30pm. Telephone No. 604-6497. Entry is free. There is also a souvenir shop. To make an advanced booking of the tour the Telephone No. is 604-6274. I am not really interested in this kind of thing so I did not find it particularly interesting. However, if you like anything to do with aeronautics and space you will enjoy your visit here.

Great Thai curry

by elji about Indochine (formerly called The Mint Leaf)

This restaurant is a little off the beaten path and was opened in late 2003 or early 2004 I think. The food is mostly Thai and some Vietnamese, with a few tasty vegetarian options. It is in a small, unassuming building next to a pizza place and a hair salon. The decor is nice and minimal, with nice ambient lighting and artwork. It usually has quite nice music playing too. Here is a link to an online review: http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly/morgue/2003/2003_11_28.mintleaf28.html My favorite dishes are the spicy seafood soup and the green curry eggplant. The spicy seafood soup has coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal, and lots of really high quality seafood in it including large scallops, shrimp, and well-cleaned mussels. Very tasty and piping hot! The green curry eggplant also has some spicy green peppers in it, coconut milk, and basil. Very delicious!

COFFEE & MORE

by heywinks about UNIVERSITY COFFEE CAFE

Great mix of people of all ages. Delicious coffee aroma. Very busy & packed with people (some standing). High ceilings so you don`t feel claustrophobic or closed in. There`s a coffee bar with seating where all the drinks are made.
(Their business card says that they also have full service dining for lunch & dinner, a Health Smart Cafe, & a juice bar) I had the white chocolate mocha & some kind of mocha pastry cake dessert. YUM!!! My friend had the hot apple cider (we`re not big coffee people!). We didn`t spend that much time here as my friend had to catch the last train home, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself here in this coffeehouse. I didn`t feel rushed to leave, even though we sat at the bar. I felt like I could have stayed for 3 hrs & not have someone come over & tell me my time was up (except perhaps those standing. ha ha!).

Palo Alto

by cactusmitch

"Down and Dirty in Silicone Gulch"

Crown Carpet Cleaners did the rugs of some famous folks. I did Shirley Temple Black's living room. I did Wallace Stgener's office. Finally I got enough money up to get a motorcycle, a Yamaha yds2. Then I wanted a guitar. Dana Morgan Music closed a 6pm on Friday. Check cashing took most of the time. Five minutes left, and the doors were locked. I rattled the front door. A guy who did not look like the regular sales staff unlocked it for me.

"I want to buy a guitar," I showed him my wad. I got a Gibson acoustic at about a 50% cash discount.

The next week I had pay enough to go to the folk singing place.

The guitar salesman was in a fun group. I noticed that part of his middle finger was missing on his right hand. His name was Jerry.

Home of Stanford university

by Anthro

Palo Alto is home to Stanford University. Although Stanford is technically its own town, Stanford is usually presumed to be a part of Palo Alto.

Palo Alto has many great restaurants, shopping, schools, and parks. Among the places to hang out is on University Avenue, where college kids mingle with the upper crust of the wealthy residents.

Stanford University offers many events throughout the year. The Cantor Museum of Art has a wide variety of Rodan sculpture, not only within the museum but also throughout the school grounds.

Annual events worth visiting include the Stanford Pow Wow. There were many, many Native American dancers and booths. Not only was it great music & dancing, but great photo opportunities.

Unlike typical tourists invading Indian reservations, Pow Wows are a welcoming chance to see and talk to Native Americans under their own terms.

Comments