675 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, California, 94301, United States

The Westin Palo Alto
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Beware of the Dogs!

Once again, Starwood hotels has produced a very nice product with the Westin Palo Alto. I was in town to visit Stanford, and was looking for a close hotel, and price was not an object because the company was paying for it.

Although this hotel is priced a little higher than most, it was worth it... well it was worth it until the dogs started barking!

I was upgraded to a mini suite here, and when I entered the room, settled in and began to get ready for bed, what did I hear? Dogs from the veternary clinic next door!

It was too late to move rooms, and after a while it just became white noise. The heavenly bed put me right to sleep!

The hotel did have an excellent pool and outside patio area.... I would recommend it!

More about Westin Palo Alto

Clean and convenient

by TripAdvisor Member PeckCheck

We could not ask for a more convenient location! The hotel is across the street from the Palo Alto Shopping Center and Stanford campus, and just around the corner from University Ave which is a great shopping street.

The room was a decent size and they had the usual Westin Heavenly Bed which is probably the most comfortable hotel bed around. The room and bathroom were spotless, so much so that I felt comfortable enough to take a bath! (I'm usually somewhat wary about hotel tubs....).

The only downside was the noise factor. The walls are not very thick, and I can imagine that it could get noisy if there were a lot of hotel guests.

Very nice, typical Westin

by TripAdvisor Member carcats

Everything you would expect from a Westin, including great bed and great bath. Only exceptions to otherwise seamless experience was the very poor room service coffee and spotty service at Le Soleil restaurant.

Almost Heavenly Beds

by TripAdvisor Member Unarmedpostman

Hotel isn't as nice as other Westins we have stayed at. The bed was a pillow top, but was not as soft as we are used to at high-end hotels. Also the sheets seemed stiff, and rougher. The room was quite, but the heater really made the air dry in the room, but the hotel provides humidifiers upon request. Parking and internet was an extra $10/night.

Exceptionally Clean!

by TripAdvisor Member ire_ger

I stayed at the Westin for 2 nights during a business trip and thought it was phenomenial! It was really quiet the few nights I was there, so I think I may have been upgraded to a larger, corner room. It was AMAZINGLY clean! The bathroom was huge, it had a single sink, toilet, a bathtub and a separate shower. I usually wouldn't take a bath in a hotel but it was so clean, I just couldn't believe it so I had to! The only downside would be the tv unit, as it's awkwardly placed to the right wall of the bed, the tv did pull and out and turned, so it worked out ok. I also wish they had wifi.

The staff at the hotel were extremely nice and I loved that there was a self parking lot right next to the hotel, you can just enter the Westin from the side after you park your car (only $10/day and you can charge the cost to your room). Everything was very easy and the Sheraton is right door. The Westin is around the block (within walking distance, but I drove) to University Street where there are tons of restaurants and shops along with a cute, little independent movie theater. The hotel gave me a small map of the area which was quite helpful. Nearby is the Stanford Shopping center which has all high-end shops. i would definitely suggest staying there for business or pleasure.

Great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member trump21

Stayed for a couple of nights, after having had a terrible experience at the Westin in Los Angeles. What a huge difference!! This place is far, far better. I was a given a huge suite complete with a conference table to seat ten people! Service was fantastic - everyone was friendly and very helpful. Room service was very courteous. I am very glad I stayed here.

Business Hotel, good location

by TripAdvisor Member Queen_of_the_hw

We were traveling on south of San Francisco so this was a great location to stay after flying into San Francisco airport.

The hotel is nice and meets all standard requirements.

It is a high class business hotel. It has the feel of a Holiday Inn but with candles lighting in the lobby and crisp white sheets. If I was here on business I would be writing a good review however I think if you are coming on vacation it will be difficult to justify the cost out of your own pocket.

The plus side is that Stanford shopping centre is within close walking distance and the beds as they describe them are truly heavenly.

It was my first time in Palo Alto so it may well be the best hotel in town but when I go again I think I'll have a look into other options too.

Dog-friendly & reliable

by TripAdvisor Member wwwench

We were travelling with our dog and chose the Westin because it is pet-friendly. Plus, it's conveniently located--between Stanford and Neiman Marcus. This is a typical, spotlessly clean, thoughtfully decorated Westin with extremely comfortable beds, lots of pillows, quality linens and toiletries, a two-headed shower and deep tub, double-pane windows that eliminate the street noise, and temperature controls that actually work, silently. We got an excellent night's sleep. Staff members are friendly, courteous and professional. The breakfast I ordered (Eggs Florentine) was delicious, with real Hollandaise and perfectly poached eggs. All good. I would definitely stay here again.

The only problem with our 5th floor room was the Internet connection (plug-in, not wireless), which was incredibly slow, sooooo slooow I could not even send e-mail (i.e., it was useless!). At check-out, when my husband pointed this out, the $9.95 charge was cheerfully removed from the bill (they said they were planning an upgrade--we obviously were not the first to complain!) but still. We would have preferred working (free!) wireless Internet service (which we'd gotten at a ho-hum Hilton in Santa Cruz the nigh before). Also, there was only one (man-sized) bathrobe in the closet (though I'd made the reservation for two people). A bellman promptly delivered a second robe when I called, but it would have been better not to have to go through this tediously predictable step, which makes women (this woman, at least) traveling with their husbands feel that only the man is really welcome.

Note to Westin management, if you're reading this: since you've chosen to be pet-friendly, why not do a bit more for the four-legged guests? I don't expect free Evian for my princess (like at the Four Seasons), but the Westin in Pasadena provides cool food bowls and a little rubber mat to sit them on, a nice touch that also serves to protect your carpets. Also, in Pasadena, the concierge, front desk folk, bellmen and valet parkers carry dog biscuits, which they lavishly dispense, endearing themselves to the dogs and their human companions. Arf!

Would go back

by TripAdvisor Member tei1988

I was there with a group of people attending an athletic event at neighboring Stanford university. Proximity to the university was a main reason for our choice to stay at the Westin. Staff there were very accommodating: courteous and attentive. They seem to welcome back a lot of regulars, and there were a lot of friendly interchange between staff and the other guests. The structure of the room is a bit odd: quite a maze to get to our rooms. This did result in a lot of "short" corridors that minized foot traffic in front of rooms. Room was good: clean, and the beds were nice. Bathroom was fabulous. Pool was smaller than expected and the breakfast buffet wasn't anything extraordinary. But it's an easy 10 minute walk to University Avenue where there's a multitude of restaurants to choose from. Would go back!

Lovely Little Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member WHtraveler08

My husband and I had a terrific 4 night stay at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the rooms were immaculate. Everything in this hotel is SMALL BUT LOVELY: the restaurant , the workout room, and the pool area. My only complaint...........because I am "a nut about noise" ....is that you can hear the guests above you walking. Next time.......becauses there will be a 2nd stay there............I would request a 5th floor room or suite!

Comments