The Langham, Huntington Hotel & Spa

1401 South Oak Knoll, (formerly Ritz-Carlton), Pasadena, California, 91106, United States

The Langham Huntington, Pasadena
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Langham Hotel formerly the Ritz

The only 5 star hotel in Pasadena if you really want to live it up! I can't tell you too much about this hotel just that it's been in Pasadena since 1907. It is part of Pasadena and Los Angeles history. An architectually, beautiful hotel.

The rates aren't too much more than the Hilton so maybe you would splurge a bit and stay at this hotel instead.

• Pricey but worth the luxury

The Ritz Carlton is a beautiful hotel with endless amenities. It's a high end hotel which makes it pricier than your average hotel. I enjoyed every moment of my stay there. I didn't pay for the stay, so I am not sure of the exact price.

Unique Quality: They have a really cool option for the children (not sure of price or ages) called the Kid's Night Out. On certain nights your children go out to the movies without their parents. The grounds are spectacular and the pool is perfect for relaxing in the Southern California sun.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Old school charm, but luxury?

The reason for my staying here is a story in itself, but I won't go into that.

The Ritz Carlton has a world wide reputation for service, and their Pasadena hotel is no exception. It is well appointed too and architecturally pleasing. There is a blues singer here on the weekends who is excellent.

On the down side, its hard to find and the rooms are a bit small and very average. I've stayed in Sheraton hotels that offered more amenities. The restaurant is overpriced and nothing spectacular either. Its probably not worth the price, but since I wasn't paying and don't know how much it cost, I can't make that determination.

Directions: Good luck.. Try arriving during daylight hours as its virtually impossible to find at night.

It depends on where you're coming from and which freeway you take. But, from Pasadena, it is located on Lake Avenue, which becomes south Oak Knoll.

More about The Langham, Huntington Hotel & Spa

Great Weekend Get Away

by TripAdvisor Member JasminedogLosAngeles

This is our 2nd stay at the Ritz Carlton Pasadena. We stayed only 1 night July 9, 2005 but wished we could stay longer. Upon check-in, our rooms were ready and staff from the bellmen to the check in clerks addressed me by name. All of the staff were friendly.

All of the main hotel rooms are refurbished in tones of gold and navy blue, with excellent beds. Our room had 2 queens and was spacious and clean. There was enough room for a desk as well as a lounge chair and ottoman. The decor was luxurious but not stuffy. Our view was of the large south-facing lawn at the rear of the hotel. Large bathroom with great amenities. We received turn down service and housekeeping service was up to par.

All of the public areas of the hotel were in excellent condition and on par with what a Ritz Carlton should be. The pool does get busy during the summer with families, and it would be nice to add a new larger swimming pool and new jacuzzi. But the grounds were immaculate during our stay and for the most part serene and quiet.

One of the couples travelling with us was upgraded from a regular room to a 1 bedroom cottage suite, for no particular reason. Although the carpeting and furniture in the cottage did not appear to be refurbished like the main hotel rooms, it was a free upgrade and like a luxurious private apartment. Their son had a birthday, so they received a complimentary "Happy Birthday" plate of 3 cookies and a bucket of 3 fruit juices (a nice touch).

Room service was prompt during the weekend and dishes were removed from hallways fairly promptly. The Sunday buffet brunch is pricey, but worth the price if you want a lot of choices ... cooked to order omelettes, belgian waffles, sushi bar, hot and cold entrees, fresh fruit, salads, seafood, etc. There is indoor seating and outdoor terrace seating.

The spa and fitness center were nice ... the latter is a bit small but certainly adequate. The men and women changing areas had separate saunas and jacuzzis. It is in a separate building and so there is a walk to get there.

Parking is $25 per vehicle per night, so we were charged twice since my spouse drove separately to meet me at the hotel. Day use is $12 without a validation from the hotel. The Sunday brunch is popular and on Saturday nights the hotel hosts lots of parties ... so expect a wait for your car unless you phone to the parking desk ahead of time. The hotel's location in a residential area means you definitely need a car. But Pasadena sights are within a 15 minute drive from the Ritz Carlton.

Only negative - Avoid the lower floor rooms in the wing closest to the Lounge. Weekends are busy there and there is a band that plays live music until 2 AM. We were on the 3rd floor in a room above the Lounge and the noise drifting up to our room was LOUD. Ask for rooms in the wing closest to the Pool for a quieter experience.

This is a great hotel; but what is up with the rinky-dink pool?

We stayed at The Hunington for our 2-year wedding anniversary. The hotel is situated on beautiful grounds, and the history of the hotel is compelling.
We stayed in a corner suite in a newly refurbished wing, as a matter of fact, we were the first guests to stay in the room once the renovations were completed. It was a paticularly warm weekend, and our air-conditioning unit did not work properly. When we saught relief at the pool, it was like a daycare center! Perfect for families; but we were there for a relaxing, romantic weekend. The pool area in general can use a facelift. The pool is small and it would behoove the hotel to create a seperate, kid-friendly pool area since the hotel obviously attracts a lot of families.
Food and drinks were excellent, and the staff was courteous...they even remembered our anniversary and surprised us with chocolate covered strawberries.

A charge for every little thing...packed pool...parking nightmare

by TripAdvisor Member kathyapp

Just returned from a weekend stay at the Ritz in Pasadena. Not having stayed at a Ritz ever I was looking forward to being pampered. My expectation, given the reputation and pricing, was that it would be a five star hotel with a five star delivery of service. Not so...

Prior to departing my home I made a phone call to the Ritz asking for a brief summary of room amenities. I specifically asked about in-room coffee making facilities and was given a big yes - that there would be in-room coffee making facilities. If this had not been the case I would have brought my travel coffee maker. I did bring coffee filters and ground coffee, preferring my own brand.

Upon entering our room we immediately noticed the lack of a coffee maker. I couldn't phone the front desk from the in-room phone - it was inoperable. I had to use my cell phone to call the front desk requesting the delivery of a coffee maker, and I also reported the inoperable phone. I was told that it would cost me $25 for the use of a coffee maker, and that an engineer would be sent up immediately to fix the phone. I declined the coffee maker, thinking that I could purchase one at the local Target store for less than $25.

The engineer to repair the phone never did show up. My husband repaired it the second day we were there.

There's a cute basket full of bath salts and spa type items for use in the room. The pricelist is also available with the entry level price for any item set at $25.

The room staff provided bottles of drinking water next to the ice bucket. I never asked, but since I didn't notice a price list next to the bottles I was in fear of being charged for using them.

Once I went looking for the ice machine to fill the in-room bucket. Our maid saw me, took it to refill from another facility because the machine located in our facility was broken.

We were planning on using the beautiful large pool to swim a few brief laps. The entire time we were there we could hardly get into the pool. It was full of families with screaming and playful children - probably due to it being the summer season.

The only option for parking is to use their valet at $25 per day. The entrance to this area is being remodeled, resulting in a single (sometimes long) lane of traffic waiting to drop off / pick up cars. This is the same one-lane used by patrons unloading and loading luggage, resulting in lengthy waits at times. On Saturday night we returned late to the hotel (about 11:00 pm) just as a 500 person wedding reception was ending. The traffic lane to return our car was at least 10 cars in length with a large crowd of wedding attendees waiting for their cars, and those of us who simply wanted to return our car having to wait for a very long time.

The best part of our stay was the bed - it was the most comfortable bed I'd been recently at any hotel. Highly recommend the beds at this Ritz !!

Lovely as usual

My partner and I recently stayed for one night on the first leg of a driving trip that would take us to two other luxury resorts in two states. We purposely planned to stop over on the way to Scottsdale as it gave us a good excuse to come back to one of our favorite hotels. Besides we thought it was great fun to plan a driving trip that would compare three of the top resorts in their states.
We were mildly concerned about what would we would find upon arrival as they were in the midst of remodeling but were impressed by some of the changes we saw. First of all the entire porte cochere was covered in a canopy to shield the guests from the work, but they managed to make the experience glamorous with some great decorating touches and of course that great service you get when you drive in.
Another change was the new design of the inner courtyard garden. Although lush prior to the change, the new design thinned out the flora so that you could actually see through to the other side. This really opens up the lobby and definitely brightens things up quite a bit. A nice touch was the over-the-top display of roses on the lobby table. Typically I am not a fan of roses, but the many dozens of salmon colored roses was really quite glamorous. Again the service was great, very personal and warm. We checked into an executive suite on the club level.
The room was typical of this type, an elegant living room leading into a beautiful bedroom with the one of the best beds I have ever slept on, so much so we now have one at home. In addition to the generous space, both the loving room and bedroom opened out onto balconies that you could step out and look over the gardens and beyond. My only complaints about the oversized all-white marble bathroom was that there was only one sink which meant that Vic had to use the guest bathroom and shower curtains which seemed a bit trailer park admist all the marble. Plenty of great Trevie products and of course all the monogramed white fluffy towels.
Being on the club level was great as always but this time the hotel had low occupancy so we rarely saw more than a couple of other guests at any given time. We sampled the tea, cocktail service and breakfast. The assortment was always interesting and abundant, the service impeccable and the flower arrangements particularly beautiful (orchids, orchids, orchids). My only complaint would be that selections be identified so as not to create any unpleasant surprises. It is difficult to come off as gracious when you have a mouth full of something that doesn't agree with you. Another tip is that the room is going to be closed in the very near future for a full redo. I can't wait to come back and see what it is going to be like.
As we rolled down the driveway and on to our next destination, we couldn't help think was a great start this was for our desert driving holiday. On to the to the Four Seasons Scottsdale. Come along for more....

Anniversary/Labor Day Weekend

by TripAdvisor Member awinnera

We come here every year over Labor Day. They just finished renovating the hotel, much of it looks much better, while some areas still look the same. It is nice to come back to a place where they know you by name. The staff is friendly and goes out of their way to make the most of your stay.

The rooms are very spacious, at least the corner rooms are. The bathroom is quite large, with great water pressure from the Speakman water head. They use Trevie shampoo, which is nice. I call there bed the funeral bed, because the bed is so comfy, I would have no problem having that bed be my final resting place.

The pool had music on the weekend, one day steel drums, the other day a guitar. Service by the pool seemed quick, although I never ordered anything, I did have 2 charges from things being ordered poolside, so check your final bill.

We ate in the dining room, dinner for 2 with tip and wine pairing for 1 of us was about $285. Service was great and never felt hurried.

The newly club lounge is very nice with dark, rich color tones. You could gain many pounds eating all the food they have, from cold chicken to sushi to french pressed coffee. the staff really goes out of their way to help.

I enjoy going back year after year....we feel like family.

Lost a loyal Ritz Patron

We have been LOYAL Ritz Patron for many years. We stayed for the weekend for a wedding. I arranged for a rose petal turndown for the newly weds for their honeymoon night. They called my room to confirm this request. This service was never done... yet they charged me for this service. On the day of our checkout, we were repeated called by the manager for check out after we were guaranteed a 4pm check out time with the Fine Resorts Program. My pregnant wife was taking a nap prior to our flight home. We quickly packed and left at 2pm. We had enough.

I sent an email expressing my dissatisfaction with our stay. We were never acknowledged. Ritz has lost a customer for life.

They Blew It

When we arrived for checkin at 2:20 PM, we were informed that our room would probably not be ready for another hour. While this was a bit unexpected for a Ritz, we allowed for the activity of the holiday weekend and left to shop while they prepared our room. When we returned at 3:30, we were then told that it would "be just a bit longer". We patiently waited in the lobby with our luggage until 4:10, and when we asked again, they said "the housekeeping manager has to inspect our room". We weren't waiting. We canceled and left, to their unwarranted surprise. I don't expect this at a Holiday Inn, let alone a Ritz Carlton. Guests obviously do not come first in their book. We'll be happy to cross plans at any Ritz out of our books, and let the Four Seasons, Peninsula and Fairmont chains have our business.

Comments