1021 Pine Street, Paso Robles, California, 93446, United States

Wire sculptureWire sculpture

Travel Tips for Paso Robles

Grape Escapes Wine Book

by TRimer

I discovered this book a couple of days before our trip and had it overnighted to me by Amazon.com. It was well worth the shipping costs. The book gives descriptions in great detail of the different area wineries (I think there are now over 150 in Paso). Chapters highlight different features such as best winery to meet the winery, best themed winery and best winery to be greated by pets. While the book provides GREAT information (how I found Maloy and Hansen), it also provides savings. If you have and show the book at select wineries you can (depending on the winery) save on the tasting fee or on wine purchases.

They also have a website.

Wine tasting @ Chumeia

by TRimer

Chumeia was another boutique winery that I had read about and was recommended to visit. I have to admit that I was not that impressed with it. The tasting room felt like it was in someone's basement. It had a small bar on one wall with young guys in black t-shirts serving. The steel wine tanks were in the same room and there were dead bugs in the bathroom (not exactly appetizing).

Ancient Greeks had a word for alchemy; Chumeia (koo-may-a) is that word. Historic alchemists believed that by applying four basic elements: heat, air, earth and water as well as philisophical beliefs, they could transform basic elements into gold. Lee Nesbitt, Chumeia's Winemaker, believes that not only is winemaking an alchemic process, but the grapevine has its own transformation of basic elements to gold (the grapes).

Helicopter Tour

by bsai

"Helicopter Tours"

Testimonial

"I visited Paso Robles a few times because of the mid-state fair. My husband has always been interested in wine so we would go to the different wineries to taste their wines. Just recently I went and there was a helicopter service running four tours around Paso Robles. My husband and I decided to splurge and it was well worth it. Our tour guide, Ron, was amazing. He knew what wineries we where flying over, he answered our questions, he was really into it. It was such a beautiful day, and to see the vineyards in all their glory, well it really touched my husband and I. We recommended our parents and friends go on the tour and none have been disappointed yet. I recommend it."

Megan Vickers