P O Box 842, 2001 Rossi Rd, PESCADERO, CALIFORNIA

Satisfaction Poor

More about Costanoa

Consistently positive experiences at Costanoa

by TripAdvisor Member EyesBlue1492

Costanoa is a delightful, comfortable lodge. My family and I have stayed there 4 times now, most recently a few weeks ago (late December 2006). Our experience with the hotel and service staff continue to be very positive. The rooms are clean, quaint (with wood fireplaces), and quiet.

Costanoa is not a high end, high comfort coastal spa like Post Ranch or Ventana Inn in Big Sur. It's much more low-key, and affordable.

Great spot, don't do an event there!

by TripAdvisor Member reviewguy11

Costanoa has a great location in Pescadero. There are some beautiful hikes along the Pacific, and both the lodge and the cabins rooms are cozy and elegant. Since they were recently taken over, the food has also become very good (it used to be a low point). Also, it's close to the great Duarte's Tavern in Pescadero, with the best Green Chile Soup I've ever had.

However, be very careful about ever holding an event there. The events team is just terrible. They change their contracts constantly, they are unresponsive and unhelpful, and they continually make mistakes (yet always in their favor). While Costanoa makes a great getaway for a weekend or couple of days, be extremely wary of committing to an event there.

Beware if there's an Wedding!

by TripAdvisor Member SantaCruzan

As locals, our family has been to Costanoa several times, mostly in the spring. This time, we went at the end of summer/beginning of fall. We wanted to stay a night but was told they had a 2 night minimum. Okay, we thought, we'd spend the extra money and enjoy the rare sunshine on the coast.

As soon as we drove in, we knew something looked different. The kids saw a tent being erected and asked if a circus was coming. Little did I know how good of a prediction theirs' was!

The entire weekend, we were held hostage to this wedding. The first night, the main BBQ area near the general store was off limits (rehearsal dinner picnic). So much for the BBQ at sunset we had planned. (Had to go to another location near the RV parking lot) At night, we had to listen to the pre-wedding "talent show" (I kid you not) radiating through the campground from the PA system used at the BBQ. Till 10 o'clock pm!

Next day, the jacuzzi was off limits for 6 hours for the wedding on the back lawn. The restaurant wasn't taking any more dinner reservations because their staff was catering the wedding. Then from 6-10:30 the party raged in the tent. Music blared all night.

Truth be told, it looked like an awesome party, but that's not what the rest of us poor schlobs with family had in mind when we booked our family nature weekend. There was no quite campfires listening to each other and nature. Forget about the kids getting to sleep before 11 pm. We complained and were told that quite was only assured after 10 pm.

Hey, Costanoa! Don't advertise that this as a retreat if you are going to run it like any other hotel catering to loud nightitme weddings. Either build a facility to insulate the noise far away from your campers or stop the amplified music events. Hey, better yet, just do day events. Let nature, peace and quiet reign at night.

great getaway

by TripAdvisor Member kimbren

Wow--what a great getaway from the city!!! We stayed in the furnished tents/tent cabins--very romantic/cozy--the restaurant was fabulous--much better food than expected--the general store was stocked with goumet snacks and goodies-it perfectly augmented our stay-we hiked over to the coastlne-BEAUTIFUL--we had massages at the spa-Fantastic!!! Loved the firepits scattered around the property--we are looking forward to our next visit--we may try the cabin next time as they seem to be extremely cozy!!

Don't Expect Much....

by TripAdvisor Member COguy

This IS a beautiful location but it falls so short on many many things. I stayed in a Fir Cabin which was MUCH in need of a paint job and new carpet......the stains.....don't get me started! I made the horrible mistake of having dinner at the restaurant; I ordered a $25.00 steak that tasted like it was cooked over a DuraFlame log......I could NOT get that taste out of my mouth....when the waiter asked me how everything was I was honest and said it was pretty bad.......I said this nicely! He threw his arms up and asked me what I needed........I politely asked for some bread and butter to take back to the cabin (the bread was actually very good)......he brought it back and 'TOSSED' it on my table without a word..........along with the bill......$55.00!!!!! This place needs new management......it's a great property but is being very poorly managed. Save your money!

CAMPING/HOSTELLING

by abloke39

Spending 3 weeks in July camping/hosteling in N.Cal, concentrating on Yosemite +the Sierras and the Northern Coast towards Mendicino.Any recommendations on campsites/hostels.I prefer access to showers and toilets but dont mind a few nights wilderness camping.Costs must be kept to a minimum though!!
Any advice on car hire, is it cheaper to find all inclusive deals in the US or should I hire here in the UK bf travelling?

Re: CAMPING/HOSTELLING

by cachaseiro

i just cycled the american west coast and mainly stayed in hostels and campsites.
there are many state parks and state beaches with campsites.
they charge 2 dollars a night if you are a hiker or travelling by bicycle.
otherwise it's about 15 dollars for a whole campsite.
there is a great hostel in the redwoods, called the redwoods hostel.

Re: CAMPING/HOSTELLING

by gandjoan

Sounds like a wonderful holiday. You should check out the state parks website, which has the information you'll need about reserving. http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=737

If you're in a car, you might be able to get open spots on weekdays, but you'd definitely need reservations for weekends. Reservations can be made up to 7 months in advance, and you may want to reserve your weekends soon.

I do have some recommendations for campsites, but they're all near the coast 1-2 hours south of San Francisco. They are:

Big Basin - large state park with many hiking trails and good facilities (showers, ranger talks, etc.). The "walk-in" sites are a little more secluded and not a long walk at all.

Portola - smaller, pretty geography

Butano - this is ~20 minutes drive from the ocean, near Pescadero. Another beautiful spot, and less mosquitos than at Big Basin. If you stay there, drive into Pescadero and have a bowl of artichoke soup at Duartes.

There's also a youth hostel at the Pigeon Point lighthouse. You'll be right next to the lighthouse, which has historical interest. Just south of there is Ano Nuevo, which is a State Reserve (no camping) for Elephant Seals. You might need a reservation to go there, as they try to limit the traffic to minimize impact on the animals.

Finally, if you need a treat, there's a wonderful private campground called Costanoa. The campsites are about twice the cost of those at the State Park. But there's a lodge with events, a wonderful cafe/grocery and hiking trails you can take to the beach.

Really, I've never found a California State Park I didn't like, so even if you don't get to the ones I've listed, I'm sure you'll find some great ones.

Cheers.