2001 Rossi Road At Hwy 1

Satisfaction Poor

More about Costanoa Coastal Lodge & Resort

Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member jmbran

My wife and I just returned from 1 and a half days at Costanoa. We were suppost to stay 2 days, however, we checked out on the second day. There was a wedding there all weekend which was quite loud and took over the whole property. We ate at the restaurant the first night and thought the food did not live up to the prices. Overall I was greatly disappointed. I was expecting a quiet, relaxing retreat and instead was bombarded with a 100 revelers at a party I was not invited to. I would recommend if you're going to Costanoa to ask if there will be a wedding or event taking place and, if so, to book at another time.

Disgusting bedding and more

(7) Poorly designed sink that splashes water all over the counter and floor
(8) Desk lamp that didn’t work
(9) Unintuitive lock for the French doors to the patio

The Details:

There was so much potential for this to be a really enjoyable stay at the Costanoa Coastal Lodge. The place looked beautiful on the surface, and the surrounding area took my breath away. Unfortunately, though, the in-room accommodations at this establishment do not live up to the beauty of the coastal wilderness.

When I arrived in my first floor room in the South Lodge, I was initially pleased by the simple décor, spacious bed, and attractive bathroom. As I prepared to take a nap after a long hike, however, I noticed several large yellow stains on the bed sheets – stains that were obviously from certain bodily fluids. In addition to these yellow stains, there was one dark brown stain. This stain might have been from, say, chocolate or coffee, but my guess is that it was something else. About to throw up, I decided to forgo my nap. I called the front desk to have someone change the sheets later that evening once I had left for dinner.

In the meantime, I decided a nice, hot bath was in order. As I filled the tub, I noticed that the water was a deep amber color. A bit disconcerted, I filled a glass tumbler with the water to make sure that it wasn’t the coloration of the tub that was doing it. Sure enough, the tap water was yellow. By the time the tub filled, it looked the color of dark yellow urine. It may have been just minerals in the water or something, and it was probably harmless, but this was still disconcerting to say the least. I tested the water from the sink faucet too, and it was a faint yellow color as well. To add insult to injury, it was difficult to get hot water out of the tap when multiple guests were showering. Therefore, if a cold yellow shower is what you desire, then be sure to try the Costanoa Coastal Lodge.

Upon my return from dinner, I was happy to see a clean sheet on my bed, but the sheet was barely tucked into the mattress, as if the person who had changed my bedding was in a hurry or had never made a bed before. I also noticed that the throw pillows on top of the bed also had white stains on them – again, obviously from certain male bodily substances. Once again grossed out, I threw the pillows into a corner and bravely climbed into bed.

Additionally, the sink and faucet, while aesthetically pleasing, are not quite as functional as they are pretty. Due to the deep sink basin and the tall height of the faucet, water inevitably ended up splashing on the floor anytime the sink was used.

On top of all this, the desk lamp was completely non-functional and the lock on the patio doors was difficult maneuver. (I eventually did figure it out, but it was pretty unintuitive.)

All in all, I did enjoy my visit because of the company I was with and because of the surrounding area (the wilderness, the views, the nature hikes). But I probably would have preferred to set up a tent of my own than to stay in such sub-par hotel accommodations. Staying in a hotel that bills itself as a “resort” (complete with a spa, aromatherapy & massage services, and a slightly up-scale restaurant) should not feel like you’re roughing it. Bottom line, the Costanoa needs to make some serious changes to live up to their own hype.

Love and Hate

by TripAdvisor Member mamahen

My family and some friends(4 adults and 3 kids) just returned from Costanoa for a two night stay (which is the minimum required on a weekend visit) . Check in isn't until 4pm and it gets very crowded at the front desk. We were able to occupy the same cabin(not always guaranteed) with one family in a "king room" and one in a "double," We had a great time Friday night. Our wooden cabin was cute,clean and comfortable. Basically a room without a bathroom but located near a "shared comfort station" also not bad on first inspection. We had a good meal with good service at the Cypress Grill on the property. A little expensive but not to bad. Saturday wasn't as good. With the exception of the coffee and tea selections the breakfast buffet ( included in room rate)was bad. We had cold egg fritata,bacon,potatoes,cold cereal,instant oatmeal,granola and "fresh" fruit that looked ready to be thrown out to the horses on site. Also no room to sit inside so had to sit on the porch with a very wobbly table. Did I mention that you have to buss your own tables too?
Thankfully lots of beautiful hiking trails to take our mind off the lousy breakfast. Maids had been to our room while we out but never left us any clean towels,robes,or clean cups, with NO running water in your room so you have to use dirty cups or clean them youself in the bathroom station. Bathroom station was without power to dry your hair, no heated floor as stated and the dry sauna didn't work until late Sat. afternoon. We also found our phone didn't work and we had NO locking mechinism in our back door . I walked up to the front desk to ask for robes and report the unworking phone and lock. I was told they were having "laundry problems and would put my name on the robe waiting list" no comment was made about the unworking items except for "oh".
Never did get any robes in either of our rooms. My husband fixed the phone and we hoped we were NOT robbed while we were out. We had our 3 original bath towels from Friday night but think how wet and gross thet got between showers,dry sauna and the hot tub after 2 days 2 adults and 2 kids. YUK!!!
Now go pay your bill. $195 a night plus taxes plus $15 per night for my 10 year old and $30 for my 12 year old. I understand an extra room charge per person but that seems high and the difference in prices is silly. WOW $500++ for a weekend of "luxury camping" without the luxury that is promised.

bad service, great location

by TripAdvisor Member natureloverCA

This could be such a great place. The location, views, trails and beach are all beautiful. Located halfway betwen Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay, the setting is ideal. The main problem is the staff and cleanliness. We stayed in a Douglas Fir Cabin. The room was so dirty - I could write a whole paragraph just about the carpeting..... The bedside tables were filthy, bedding stained, etc. The shared bathrooms were never cleaned in the three days we spent there, which was disgusting. I'm all for camping, but this place was beyond rustic - it was just dirty. California State Park system does a much better job of maintaining their properties. The concept is great, and the cabins could be beautiful if kept up. We stayed here several times when it first opened and loved it, but it's gone downhill. The staff attitude was laughable. I'm not a fussy traveler and don't usually have high expectations of hotel staff, but after requesting towels half a dozen times, we just ended up finding the housekeeping closet and took some. I don't think they cared. The attitude was awful. Just complete disregard for guests.

Worst Hotel Experience Of My Life!!!

by TripAdvisor Member JASjewels

For anyone going to stay here they should know two things: 1. You do not have a view of the ocean from your room unless you enjoy standing in an awkward position on a chair for most of the evening. You see either a parking lot or grassy hill. 2. You will not get what you pay for.

I was really looking forward to this trip however it seemed that everything went wrong. From generally horrible customer service, terrible food with extremely ridiculous prices, to a disappointing room with high prices and no view. I believe the ultimate slap in the face was when we were asked to pay for our complimentary upgrade we had received the night before and were ultimately accused of lying when we tried to dispute the charge, even after providing the desk agent's name etc.

I had written a letter to both managers asking to be contacted because our stay was so bad. As someone who works in the hotel industry I know that its in the hotel's best interest to actually hear what guests have to say. However, I have still not been contacted...two weeks and counting.

I do have to say though I have not camped here but it does look like an interesting place to camp. As long as you are not hoping to get luxury and ultimate service than this is the place for you.

Sea lions at Pigeon Point LighthouseSea lions at Pigeon Point Lighthouse