3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Sheraton Sonoma County-Petaluma

Sonoma County Cuisine

by Safaristars about Tolay

Tolay ~ formerly called the Jellyfish Grille ~ is located on the main floor of the Sheraton Petaluma Hotel at the marina. While the view of the swimming pool and freeway is less than exciting, the accents and furnishings are very attractive. Walking into the restaurant you pass an elegant curving glass staircase leading to the upper floor. The dining area has an Asian influence with water features and interesting metal serving pitchers. The lunch menu was enticing ~ items are prepared with local and organic ingredients. We found the wait staff to be very attentive and friendly. While we did arrive in jeans ~ I would recommend something a little nicer since most of the clientele wore business attire. The food was nicely presented and quite good. After lunch we stopped by the hotel desk to ask directions. The desk clerk was extremely helpful and offered complimentary use of the business center to check our email. Tolay is a classy place. My friend and I ordered clam chowder and a veggie burger to split. The veggie burger was good ~ it came with fries. The clam chowder was GREAT!!! Some of the best I've had.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member TravelsWithDoggie

The Sheraton Petaluma is definately a high end Sheraton. The rooms are nice and spacious, the lobby very upscale and the service quite good. The beds are quite lovely and the surrounding area (a wildlife preserve) makes for great walking. The restaurant has a good selection of items and each room has a microwave and fridge. Dogs are welcome (quite important to me) and the location is great - head to Sonoma or any nearby wineries with ease.

Petaluma Gets a Real Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member wanderer

We've long liked to go up to Petaluma and long been frustrated by the lack of lodging choices there. The Metro Hotel is ok, but very spartan.

It was a pleasure to stay at the Sheraton Petaluma and to find that Petaluma finally has a real hotel. The rooms are nicely decorated and in good condition, as are the public spaces. Ours was a bit oddly shaped because it was at a bend in the hall, but the room was reasonably large. There are some nice touches in the hotel, like a balcony style viewing area at the end of the corridor on the 3rd floor (and I presume other floors).The pool was usable for swimming, if a bit on the chilly side, and there's a hot tub. The bed was comfortable and there was adequate darkness at night (and good natural light during the day). The air conditioning, as a previous reviewer said, was rather loud, but not intolerably so. We didn't try the restaurant--ate at Central Market for dinner and Hallie's for breakfast.

The hotel is almost two miles from downtown--it's a short drive, but it would be a long and an unpleasant walk. The hotel is, as folks as have said, at the Petaluma Marina and adjacent to a marsh with a walking trail. It is near the freeway (though not directly next to it)--we used the air conditioning to drown it out. I think closing the windows probably would have achieved that.

There were minor service coordination issues. Housekeeping knocked 3 times. The hotel was nice enough to give us a late checkout, but our card keys went dead at noon anyway (they gave us another set).

I recommend it for anyone who wants to visit Sonoma County.

the best in petaluma

by TripAdvisor Member druu

the sheraton was, how do you put, below par. no smoking rooms. front desk not very attentive. rooms definitely were lacking. lacking a chair or two! there was no where to sit in our room. the wireless internet did not work, so we ended up calling the front desk. they sent someone up who really had no clue what he was doing. The only thing he knew what to do was check that the cords were plugged in. restaurant is not that good. extra money for a marina view not worth it. only thing to recommend to the Sheraton is that it is a member of Starwood, the only reason i stay there. from then on i have been staying at the doubletree a few miles up the highway. a breath of fresh air. great staff and absolutey wonderful rooms, and a POOL!

A Great Stay

Contrary to previous reviews, we found the Sheraton in Petaluma to meet or exceed all our standards. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Rachel, even took the time to review my charges when I had questions and did so with a lovely attitude. At the same time, another front desk staffer was showing a guest different pillows because she was allergic to the ones in the room. The rooms were spotlessly clean, I did not hear one noise from the hall or from above and service in the hotel restaurant was prompt and pleasant.
If there have been true problems at this property in the past, Sheraton has worked to fix them. We enjoyed our stay and would stay here again.

Great stay

by TripAdvisor Member Brown-2004

What a pleasant surprise to find a good Sheraton. We were using Aeroplan points and had originally planned on staying at the Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco but quickly changed our minds after reading the reviews. We then looked at all the Sheraton and Westin reviews in and around Frisco and none were very good with the exception of Petaluma. We were upgraded to a marina view and the room was well furnished, clean and nicely decorated. The restaurant is a little expensive but the food was excellent. We also ate in the bar one evening. The Sonoma valley is wonderful. Be sure and stop at the visitors center and get your badge as this entitles you to free tasting at many wineries. And don't miss seeing downtown Petaluma with all of it's Victorian homes.

An excellent ultra-modern hotel

by TripAdvisor Member glendale-member

This is an excellent, ultra-modern hotel. The rooms are decorated in browns, tans and purple, with dark wood, are spacious and have the usual amenities plus internet access. Bathrooms have granite counters.

The hotel is located on the fairly small Petaluma River, and a number of pleasure boats are tied at docks next to the hotel. The outdoor patio containing the pool and jacuzzi also is located on the same side of the hotel and so also is next to the river. The hotel is within a couple hundred yards of Highway 101, so there is no problem with access. There are no places to eat near the hotel except for the hotel restaurant. Downtown Petaluma is about a one-mile drive but is not within walking distance.

The hotel is adjacent to a large tract of marshland, and there is a nice gravel running path through the marsh. The hotel has a bar and upscale restaurant off its lobby. There is an exercise room.

All things considered, this a most pleasant place.

Really liked this hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member djssrca

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in February and did some wine-tasting. I agree with all the other favorable reviews... everything is new and clean and the service was very good. We had dinner in the hotel restaurant one night when too lazy to go out, and it definitely exceeded our expectations! We would go back just for the food. We hiked around the adjacent marshlands park on Sunday morning ... it's beautiful and filled with all kinds of shore birds, geese, and swans. If you're into wildlife, it's a magnificent 5 mile or so loop walk. The only very small complaint I had was the A/C and heating system was very loud when it comes on in the middle of the night, and despite the fact that we had the controls switched to off, it still kept coming on. However, it was a minor annoyance and we didn't report it to the management. We will definitely come back here.

Great -- and Reasonable!

by TripAdvisor Member MidwesternGal30

My husband and I stayed one night in the Napa area, and found the Sheraton to be convenient, reasonably priced ($200 for a river-view room), and our room was fabulous! The hotel location and exterior is a bit deceiving b/c it's not anything special. But once we stepped into the room, I loved every minute of our stay. Everything was spotless and new, the bed was terrific, there was no noise, and the staff at the front desk was highly professional. Considering Napa is so pricey, this is a great alternative that provides the classy touch you're looking for.

Good hotel with a SUPERB restaurant and staff

by TripAdvisor Member BT1

The hotel was satisfactory. It was quiet and the rooms were nice. It was up to the usual standards. What I want to write about is the superb restaurant (Tolay restaurant) and its equally excellent FNB Manager, Octavio Diaz. My main regret is that I did not eat there earlier and only ate there on my last night. This is NOT the usual average hotel restaurant. The food and service were great.

I celebrated my wedding anniversary at the restaurant (it was raining that day, and we did not feel like driving out). It turned out to be a fortuitous decision. About 30 mins before my meal, I asked Mr Diaz whether he could help me out with preparing some flowers for my wife. He did not even show one ounce of hesitation. He said that he would take care of it. And he did. When we arrrived at the table, we found a lovely flower waiting at the table and we also were given complimentary champagne. He gave us a great recommendation for wine also. In addition to all that, the food was sumptous. I took the veal and my wife, the new york strip steak.

Go to this restaurant. It is well worth it.

On a sidenote, the front desk was extremely helpful too. I needed to check in for my flights and they allowed me to use the office computer. I thought that they were very obliging.

Comments