41000 Bob Hope Drive, Rancho Mirage, California, 92270, United States

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Rancho Mirage Post Office

by Yaqui

To me, it is always nice to know where local post offices are. Just encase if you need to mail your shopping items or maybe a simple postcard.

(760) 346-7859
42222 Rancho Las Palmas Dr, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270

It is located next to Babe's Bar-B-Que Grill and Brewhouse next to The River is located at the intersection of Highway 111, Bob Hope Drive and Rancho Las Palmas Drive in the city of Rancho Mirage, California

Not for Us

by TripAdvisor Member mgalas

My husband, 2 sons aged 23 and 24, and I just returned from Rancho Mirage. I had researched the area online thouroughly and had read the reviews of all the hotels and resorts in the Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage area, and other desert cities before deciding on the Rancho Las Palmas. I chose this resort because it was a Marriott, and we've been very happy in the past with Marriott hotels and resorts.
This resort was very disappointing. I should have trusted the AAA book and its 3 star rating, because that's what is was worth. The hotel room was very ordinary, and the room darkening curtain for night-time privacy and darkness only covered the two ends of the window- the middle portion had only the white curtain. The bathroom was tired and dated.
The pictures online look much prettier than in person.
In fairness, the people who were there seemed to be enjoying themselves.
We had reservations for 4 nights, but left the next morning and checked into the Westin resort, which was much nicer and has a 4 star AAA rating. The room was much nicer, and every room does have either a patio or balcony, just as in the Rancho Las Palmas, because there are only two stories. There are no high rises in the desert in order to preserve the magnificent views of the mountains and desert.
When searching for a hotel, the most important thing to remember is to pick a place where you will feel comfortable, and the Rancho Las Palmas was not for us.
The Lodge was beautiful, and I would compare it to the Phoenician in Scottsdale, Arizona. But again, it's not for everybody, and not everybody would feel comfortable there- it's very fancy.

Perfect 24 hour getaway

by TripAdvisor Member SonOfBruin2

I have been to Palm Springs numerous times and usually stay in condos, but went with a couple friends on this last minute vacation and stayed at Rancho Las Palmas because of the great rate we were quoted. Based on the reviews on this site (mixed), I had no idea what to expect -- but as one of my companions stated, "a hotel stay is what you make of it." The lobby is welcoming, and they have complimentary "fruit infused water" to quench your desert-induced thirst. The front desk staff were very friendly, and were able to accommodate a late check-out when I called the next morning.

Our first stop was at the spa. Most of my spa experiences have been in Las Vegas, so the Spa Las Palmas facilities were a little lacking in my opinion; my massage was soothing and better than expected nonetheless.

The main pool area (Tortuga Island) is perfect for families and roudy adults, so we hung out the following day at the adult pool, which was much quieter -- and the pool felt cooler (always a plus in the heat).

The room was nicely appointed and clean, and the bathroom, while not a grand marble creation (a la Mandalay Bay), was clean and got the job done. As noted by a previous review, there is no blackout curtain for the middle of the window. It didn't bother us, but our room was also facing west/northwest, so be careful if your room faces east.

There is nothing necessarily spectacular about the resort, but I encountered no problems and have zero complaints -- which I guess is spectacular in a way. I highly recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back myself.

A nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member bud41

I hesitated between three and four stars for this review- it leans toward four but I'll explain.

We got a great package deal with American Airlines to stay here, and I trust the Marriott name - so we book, stayed and enjoyed.

On the plus side, this is a clean, comfortable, and relaxing place to stay. The rooms are pleasing, the balcony is wonderful, and the grounds are immaculate. Service personnel are friendly and responsive. The bedding is excellent. The resort is quiet and conducive to relaxation, and..it has great views.

Areas for improvement - phone calls cost a minimum of $1.00. Very poor selection of TV channels. Bathroom is small. Pool area housekeeping is poor ( non-existent in the evening). Get rid of the high priced mini-bar.

The pools are OK but the floats, and noodles, and beach balls are tacky. Need better lighting after dark. The spa is mediocre. Services and therapists were good - amenities were substandard. Men's whirpool broken, uncomfortable lounge seating, no music around the pools, slow spa cafe service. TINY spa pool and a hundred chairs packed around it even though there were not many people there( tacky). Very few hooks in dressing rooms to hang items.

I will say that I forwarded some special requests for my room before arrival and each one of them were in order when I arrived! Good service there. The location of this resort is excellent - lots of shopping and good restaurants. Easy access to all main roads. Concierge was good and helpful.

I would stay again if the rate was good, but I would not put it in the luxury category.

Nice amenities, but moldy shower

My family and I stayed here for the weekend. Although the amenities were nice (my son and husband especially enjoyed the golf course), I was disappointed to find plenty of black mold in the grout of the shower tile. The mold was obvious, and I was amazed that the maid came and left without removing it. If I had had a spray bottle of bleach, I would have removed it myself. (Not that I'd like to be cleaning shower grout while on vacation!) The small table and chairs on the terrace outside the room were in need of cleaning as well. There were potato chip crumbs on the carpet in front of the mini-bar. Dinner at the restaurant was great, but locating the hostess in order to be seated took awhile. Once seated though, the waitress was pleasant and efficient. The food was superb.
Since there are plenty of other great golf courses and restaurants in the area, next time we'll try another hotel in hopes of finding cleaner accommodations.

Good for kids but too many nickle and dime charges

by TripAdvisor Member UCSB_Alum

Our kids 6 and 4 enjoyed the waterslide and pool. Pool (a real 25 yds) is available for lap swimming in the early morning before the crowds arrive. Water was a tad cloudy, but since the kids pool is only about 3.5 feet deep, I didn't get nervous about kids sinking to the pool out of visibility. It was very crowded but in a good fun way - our kids always found some other kids to play with. The water playground needed some repair to the rubberized surface - not a safety issue but it looked like it would be an easy fix to an unsightly wornspot. The kids pool area could have used more umbrellas because of the hot sun. At night they show movies on a huge outdoor movie screen at the pool with excellent audio - Very cool. In the afternoon they play semi-live tropical music at the pool. Staff members were stationed at the entries to the pool area to verify guest status. Can't bring your own food and beverages into the pool area - no ice chests either. You have to buy their drinks ($4/beer, $7+ for mixed drinks, $5-$10 for food plates). No free internet in the room! It's $9.99/day for high speed - Geez! No microwave in the room (they will deliver a mini refrig though). The room was pretty nice - I didn't see any dirt or shower stains in our room. The beds were very comfortable. The fairway view was nice. A/C was excellent although I inspected our room's A/C air filter and found it needed to be replaced. Staff were pretty friendly and attentive. Staff was also located everywhere with lifeguards at the waterslide doing excellent work keeping the kids safely controlled. The River mall across the street is a nice place to go for dinner/walking/outdoor music once the sun goes down (duh, it's really hot in July). Unconfirmed, but I heard access to the fitness center was not free. This and the internet fee are an indication of the nickle and dime charging that compare unfavorably to places such as Residence Inn or Homewood Suites where they give you free breakfast, free internet, free happy hour, etc. We will probably stay again - especially of some policy changes were made - like providing free internet.

Quite happy....

Based on some of the reviews, we were a little nervous about this property, but got a great deal at $65/night so we took our chances. We're glad we did! After a long, exhausting day traveling from the East Coast, we pulled up and were greeted by the nicest door man/valet ever! The desk clerk was just as friendly, so we were off to a good start. Our room was on the 2nd floor facing the pool. I have a 'bit' of a germ phobia, but have to say that this hotel was not too bad. No mildew, crumbs, etc. as others have posted. The outdoor furniture did need some cleaning, but not that bad. My husband and 14 year old enjoyed the pool. For me and my 18 year old it was much too crowded and by the end of the day was messy and smelly from sloppy people. This attracted the birds, which I find annoying. We didn't eat at the restaurant, or use many of the amenities. We tend to like to go out and explore the area rather than just stay on the property. The location was great for this. We only stayed 2 nights and then moved on to the Marriott in Coronado for $300/night. I have to say that although each location has something different to offer, we were most pleased with this one. We wished we had stayed a little longer.

How you feelin? Hot! Hot! Hot!

by TripAdvisor Member Mr.Mom

This is a great family resort. This is the 2nd time we stayed here. Both times we had a room with a view of Tortugo Island (the main pool area). The pool gets very, VERY crowded. We arrived at 8:30 am to claim our chairs. Some people were at the pool since 7:00am to do the same. We recommend a room by the pool area. The water slide is great but the fountain area is in dire need of rehab. If we were without kids we would never return because it is noisy (not in the rooms), exciting and fun. Not for the honeymooner crowd, the pre-kid group or the seniors without grandkids. If you have kids 0-13 years old, this is the place for you. Get a breakfast plan with your room, otherwise the restaurant is a little pricey at $17.50 each for the buffett. When we went in July the temp. topped out at 120 degrees. Painfully hot. We avoided being outside from 12:45 until about 6:00pm.

A week in Hell

I was looking forward to the stay at Rancho with my daughter to celebrate her graduation from college. Months in advance I had made spa reservations for the both of us and we were excited to arrive for our week of spa and fun together. When we first arrived we noted that my daughter had left her wallet with ID at home but felt it was not needed anyway. The spa refused to let her in its doors and questioned her age but never were we informed that and ID was necessary to enjoy their spa. We ended up shopping at the mall and going to the movies while we were there just for something to do. We could have done that, at home. When I was forced to write a check at the front desk so we would have money to do these alternative things, I was told they did not allow that privilege, but as a rewards member, I should have been extended that courtesy. The room was clean, but we were awakened every morning with mowers, leaf blowers and noise from the loudly talking staff. The outside of our door and the steps leading to the door were filthy and unkept. The service at the restaurant was poor and we were only getting the buffett which was over-priced and poorly kept up. I wrote a letter to the resort manager while we were there and he never acknowleged my complaint. We were finally let into the spa but on our last day there and by then the stay was ruined. You can never get the precious time with a loved one back. It was the worst stay I have ever had at a hotel and I travel a lot. What a dissapointment for us both.

Absolutely the Best!

by TripAdvisor Member iluvmi3kds

I had never been to Palm Springs, but was able to get a "steal" on a stay here, so I booked two nights. We stayed Sun -Tues and found everything about this place thoroughly enjoyable. We had a poolside room with a patio , which was quite clean, but needed a little airing out upon arrival. Beds were extremely comfortable, but my kids thought the sofa-sleeper was way too cool not to sleep on. Our children, 4 and 6 "LOVED" the small waterslide, and floating on the rafts which the hotel provided. They actually enjoyed the hotel better than Knott's water park! I noticed they offer children's activities on the weekends which appeared reasonable in cost and I will be sure to try them in the future.
My husband thought the main pool temperature was too warm, but I stayed in for hours. They have several pools on the premises, including a very private one in the spa. There is an additional charge of around $11.00 for the day but well worth it. The spa is incredible, and perhaps the best I have ever experienced. I indulged in several treatments and left more relaxed (and spoiled) than I can ever remember.
I found the hotels staff quite professional, responsive to our needs, and quite knowledgeble.
This hotel exceeded the expectations of our family for entertainment, rest, and relaxation.
I definitely am planning a trip back before the end of this year.

Comments