71333 Dinah Shore Drive, Palm Springs, California, 92270, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Westin.com

Costs 25% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Never stay here!

I will NEVER stay here again & I feel I have to let others know they should stay anywhere else but here.
    Hotels at this price point are allowed to have 1-2 mistakes/problems but the Westin in Rancho Mirage has a long list of problems.
    "Never judge a book by it's cover" holds true here. When you drive up, the front, the lobby & courtyard are all lovely. The grounds are lovely, clean & well kept. That is if you don't look at the buildings where the rooms are, those are hideous.
    That is where it ends. The smoke screen disappears, reality of this Westin smacks you in the face & continues to do so until you leave.
    1. We had a "pool view", deluxe room. There was nothing deluxe about the room. The pool view was minimal & should not cost extra.
    2. We were on the first floor. We could hear every step, movement, flush, sliding glass door, closet door, water, everything! Other guests told me kids were riding scooters in the room above them and it sounded like a pack of elephants. When the sliding glass door is opened on the second floor it sounds like thunder in your 1st floor room.
    3. Internet- IS NOT FREE, it is part of the "resort fee". It is slow and often doesn't work. Your cell phone hardly works either.
    4. I love the Westin's Heavenly Bed. Not at this Westin. The duvet cover is so worn out, the velcro that keeps the duvet in, no longer sticks together. When you get in bed, you have this duvet on you & open velcro with the duvet hanging out. Both nights I had to remake the bed so the worn out velcro was at the bottom & not on my face. Nothing heavenly about that.
    5. TV- the remote doesn't turn the tv on, you have to do it manually. It controls volume & changes the channel only, it doesn't turn the tv on or off. The color, & picture are awful, face are red, pictures are blury. There are only a few channel options & in a kid friendly hotel, they have nothing for kids past 4pm so you are forced to PAY for your child to watch something appropriate while you are getting ready.
    6. Bathroom- In our "deluxe" room, the toilet & shower/tub are in a cave with a lightbulb that is so dim you are in the dark. The shower/tub is the kind you find in a cheap motel. There is a plastic, $5. full length mirror on the back of the cave door. You can't stand back to see yourself because the closet is behind you.
    7. Mini Bar- I ate a small pack of almonds priced at $10.00. When I went to the front desk to check my bill, it had the almonds charged at $13.05. A service charge of $3.05 was added to the $10. price for the almonds.The Westin charges the guest to have an employee refill the mini bar. Mini bar items are already marked up 1000% & every hotel refills the mini bar to make more money. I feel violated by this disgusting greedy fee.
    8. Mandatory fees & taxes - You are charged a $27. resort charge + a $15. Occupancy/Tourism Tax + TOT/BID Assessment + tax on the Occupancy/Tourism Tax of $15. all PER NIGHT. This adds up to an additional $47.70 per night on top of your room rate.
    9. The "Travel Traders" sundry shop ought to be shut down. I will write a review for that shop on its own.
    10. The pool area is crowded which is fine with me but the service is horrid. When you order a drink, it takes at least 30 minutes to get it. There is trash everywhere. The staff does not clean throughout the day. I saw a beer can floating in the pool. Many kids are riding scooters around the crowded pool. This is dangerous and should not be allowed. The staff said it is not allowed but nobody stopped a single kid while I was there.
    11. Restaurants- The site says they have 5 restaurants.
    1. The main restaurant which has no kids menu. Interesting for a kid friendly hotel. The service is terrible & slow. The food is boring and overpriced.
    2. The pool "restaurant" which is a walk up counter. (or at your lounge chair if you want an hour + wait) This menu is tiny & only has one healthy option.
    3. The bar/lounge food which is pieces from the main restaurant menu.
    4. Room Service
    This is not 5 restaurants. This is 1 restaurant.
    12. Spa- While at the spa, the leaf blower was blasting & loud. Not relaxing.
    13. Front desk- At check in there was a line 8 people long with 2 people working. This was spring break & the hotel was sold out but they only had 2 of the 8 check in desks open. The rooms were messed up, they weren't ready, they weren't anywhere near our friends as requested, actually as far as possible. I was overcharged for items & charged for food at the pool which I never ordered. I had to spend time reviewing the bill & then discuss the mistakes to be removed. This took time as the person helping me had no idea what she was doing. (It was almost funny)
    There is much more but I will end here. If you stay here, you will need a vacation from your vacation.

Unique Quality: Loud. Hidden fees. Overcharged. Rude staff. Understaffed. Loud!

More about Westin Mission Hills Resort And Spa

Love the Villas

We recently stayed at the Villas here at this resort. We are owners with Westin Vacation Ownership Program and this is our home resort. This was our first stay at the Westin Mission Hills Villas utilizing our ownership.

The Westin Mission Hills special amenties are the grills on the patio and the cabanas. Plus ordering food poolside was amazing. This place was packed and when you ordered food - even for a large group, you got it. We were a party of 9. I still cant figure out how they would manage to get us the food so quickly on such a crowded weekend.

Drink service was a different story. This is one area that is a problem. They do not have a pool bar. They have a restaurant on the same level as the cabanas with a bar. You cannot go in there and even go get your own drink unless you have on shoes and a shirt. This is hard when you are in the desert on Labor Day weekend and it is hot and you are in and out of the pool.

THEY NEED AN OUTDOOR BAR POOLSIDE.

They had scheduled activities (i.e., races, watermelon eating contests, etc.) out at the pool. They had dive-in movies one night and were very well prepared for the kids. Different types sodas were ready and stacked along with popcorn, etc. The kids jumped in the pool and the parents sat on the lounge chairs.

I highly recommend the cabanas. They are worth the $75-$99 - we did it for one of the days. They are permanent structures, not just fabric type cabanas. They have ceiling fans, misters, 4 chaise lounge chairs, a table w/ four chairs, TV, music, and mini fridge stocked with some water, a deck of playing cards, and a HUGE fruit basket

For all of you that are looking to become Vacation Owners here is a bit of info. We became owners here last July and our use began January 2005. We began utilizing our ownership the Memorial Day weekend for the first time. We have been to the Westin Kierland in Scottsdale, the Westin Kaanapli in Maui, and now our home resort. All this out of one ownership. Best program - period. NONE of the other Brand Name Hotel Companies have this flexible of a program. Believe me I have researched them ALL. You are not locked into doing full weeks, you can do nightly stays. We have done 2 holiday weekend stays. One at the Westin Kierland and this one here at the Westin Mission Hills. We did our big vacation for a full week at Westin Kaanapali in Maui. No trouble getting into any of them and all of our visits have been in a 2 bedroom villa each time.

Hope this helps.

Bad Start, Got Better

by TripAdvisor Member devinevacation

We stayed at the hotel for two nights, July 8-10. The room was spacious and nicely styled with a balcony, and the beds and comforters are indeed heavenly. However, when we went to the main pool, a fright awaited. It was a complete pigsty - there was trash all over the pool deck, exploded packages of ketchup, popsicle sticks, cups, and garbage everywhere, along with hordes of people. We got into the pool only to discover cups and bottles and trash underfoot IN the pool. I'm not picky at all and I was horrified. We later found out that this was a special situation in that it was "Employee Appreciation Day". Indeed, the next day the pool deck was somewhat cleaner, although the pool water continued to be murky from the previous day. The crowds were gone and it was pleasant, and the kids had a blast on the water slide. The final day it got a bit cleaner. I only wish that the hotel would have allowed its paying guests to use the Villas pool on Employee Appreciation Day, rather than making us pay to swim in trash. On a happier note, my husband had the Hot Stone Therapy at the spa and I had the Crystal Peel, both were marvelous. Nice spa. I recommend the hotel - but make SURE it's not Employee Pigsty Day. And take your flip-flops to the pool - the pool deck can scortch your soles.

Liked it so much, I bought one

My wife and I visited on vacation from the UK for the third time this year (early June) and stayed in one of the resort villas (one bedroom premium, larger part of the two-bed lock-offs). First time in a villa and very impressed - so much so that we bought one. Roomy, fantastically well-equipped, great balcony, incredible air-con, good maid service.

I guess it depends what you are looking for, but I absolutely love the place. Our two previous stays were in the regular hotel (one early September, one early June). All three trips have been low season and there can be bit of that 'we're all tired' feel about the resort (and Palm Springs in general) at that time of year. Yes, I've noticed the odd bag of rubbish hanging outside a room for a bit too long but absolutely no horror stories and, overall, it's kept in very good condition.

The restaurants are pricey - save that for a treat or special occasion - snacking opportunities are limited. Just throw a steak on the barbecue and get another beer from the fridge - the room-maid even put everything in the dishwasher for us.

I really like the slow lifestyle, the heat, the golf. My wife loves the spa and the heat (not the golf!). We both like the fact that you're away from the hustle and bustle but can jump in your car and get to it if you want within ten minutes (in fact, there's a Beer Hunter less than five minutes away and an IHOP nearer than that). Great pool and fitness room at the villas development - a second phase is due for completion (2005?) and will have further facilities. Beautiful landscaping throughout.

We're both in our mid-forties (don't tell my wife I said that) and we like the odd week of relative peace and quiet towards the end of a busy vacation. In September last year we took two younger friends with us (early 30s) and they found it a little quiet. Like I said, depends what you're looking for.

So, do a physical week in Hawaii, followed by a mental week in Vegas and finish up in a Westin villa for a week's wind-down.

By the way, I actually sought out the timeshare presentation. I was aware of it, of course, from previous stays, but they are really unobtrusive. When you look at the overall value-for-money, it's irresistable.

Go somewhere else

by TripAdvisor Member attorinfo

In short:
Nice grounds- Cloudy pools- Slow service-Filthy Lounge Chairs- Pools are way smaller than they appear in the pictures- Understaffed and the one they have does not seemed properly trained-Invisible Manager-Service express means: 4 hours to get a bucket of ice, 6 hours for a child's crib, 2 and a half hours to get towels at the adults pool. I definetely would not go back to this hotel and from the comments of other guests it was obvious that we were not the only ones displeased with the hotel services.

Wouldn't Go Back

My husband, 5 year old daughter, and myself went to this resort for 2 nights, August 13 and August 14. We had received a solicitation in the mail that if we agreed to a "tour" of their villas for sale, we could stay 2 nights for $109.00. We initially were placed in a room which looked out onto a concrete wall. It was very depressing to sit out on the patio and look at a wall, so we asked if we could possibly move. The front desk receptionist moved us into a room with a view of the golf course and the mountains in the distance. This was nice. The room was nice and large. The double-headed shower was very nice. We had a really nice dinner at the hotel restaurant. It was slightly pricey, but worth it.
The pools were a big disappointment. The main pool with the water slide was just packed and there was either live or recorded music blaring the whole time. The smaller pool, Las Hadas, was also crowded but not as loud. The pool had murky water, and had trash at the bottom. I threw out 3 plastic cups and felt more debris under my feet. My husband thought maybe the wind blew in the plastic cups, but I've never been in a pool with trash at the bottom. Tiles were missing from the side of the pool. There were quite a few locals in the pool. It's easy for them to drive into the parking lot then just hang out at the pool all day. Maybe this explains why there were no towels available at ten in the morning. As for the murky water, that might be explained by local water conditions. We noticed that when we poured water out of the bathroom sink into a glass it was really cloudy. Their local water source may create these benign but cloudy conditions.
The housekeeper arrived on Saturday afternoon shortly after 4:00 to clean. That was too late for us as we had been out all day, and with a little one, it was time for a bath and get ready for dinner. We waited 10 minutes or so for her to scramble and give us clean towels and tidy up the bathroom area. I told her to just skip fixing the beds and cleaning in that area. It was just too late.

There was one other observation in regard to humidity level. Granted, there was a monsoonal weather system, but, it seemed to us that the humidity level was higher at the resort due to the lake in front of our room and the golf course. When we were in another part of town, it was more comfortable. Personally, I find the combination of heat and humidity to be the worst.
In short, we had a decent weekend especially given the low cost. However, we decided we wouldn't stay there again unless it were free. And, we would only stay there in the fall and winter when you don't want to be in the pool.

Wonderful Resort!!

I had read the reviews of the Westin before I went and was a little worried. However, our vacation experience turned out to be wonderful. We stayed in the large one bedroom villa at the Westin and it was great. The heavenly bed, shower, and room were all very nice and spacious. Each villa had a large patio and its own grill. As far as the pool, it had a lot of kids, but we just went over to the adult pool at the hotel. The staff service was excellent. Everyone was nice and accommadating. We had a problem with date beetles in our room and they switched us to another room right away. Then in the second room, we had a cricket problem. Yes, this was an inconvience, but they made up for it by taking off $73 in phone charges and giving us a $50 gift certificate. The resort is large, but a shuttle service is available and we were asked several times as we were walking if we wanted a ride. I also went to the spa and had a great time. I really wanted to write a positive review for this resort. I think that overall it is an excellent resort. Maybe the villa staff and services are different then at the hotel.

Grand Week!

by TripAdvisor Member Bunny77

I had mixed feelings about going to this resort because of all the reviews I had read. My husband and I checked in on August 15th, 04 it went smoothly. When we walked into to our standard villa room we thought wow. It was beautiful but I have to say that heavenly bed was not so heavenly. It was stiff and we felt so uncomfortable. The pools were nice and our son really enjoyed playing in them. I went to there spa and it was the best. I had a Hawaii Lomi Lomi massage that was great and a coconut bath that was relaxing. The spa facilty had every amenitie and was well worth it. We ventured out of the Resort a few times. There was one particular time that was the worst experience ever. We had asked the Resort concerige for advice on where to go and he suggested a town called Idllywild. First of all we were told that it was a 45 min drive, Wrong it was more like 1hour to two. The driving experience was horrible because we didn't know we had to going through the mountains.
The town was even worst because everything was closed or closing when we got there and there was only one resturant we could eat at. I even had to pay to use the bathroom. This place ****** don't waste your time.... Back to the resort it was a grand experience and I think it depends on who goes and what they expect.

A wonderful spot

by TripAdvisor Member cathdav

I was here for a conference at the end of August and had a ball. I took my two daughters who loved being two steps from the pool and near a duck pond. They ordered room service and were treated very well. The restaurant was kid friendly although the service was not consistent.

Beautiful property BUT a very disappointing stay

by TripAdvisor Member weloveaz

I know I should have been prepared for what we encountered after reading other reviews...but ever the optomist, I booked anyway. (Fortunatley only for a quick, one-night stay). Until now, I have never been disappointed by a Westin property. This hotel is quite beautiful, but the scenery could not make up for all of the shortcomings. I KNEW it was a holiday weekend and hotel would be at or near capacity, but just figured the staff would be able to handle it a bit better. Let me first say that I did go with my husband and 12 year old so I am not complaining about the unruly children because I am child-less. I find younger kids will do what they are allowed to do, so if parents allow them to run-amuk, in most cases..they will! You constantly had to watch out for kids on skateboards/scooters, etc nearlty mowing you down...and that was when their equipment was not being left directly at the steps to the pool. I suppose the property is in a difficult position in not wanting to offend the parents by asking them to reel in their kids. Pool areas were another joke. You could not get near the pool as early as 10am. Any available chairs were being 'held" even though there are signs stating "management" does not allow this practice. Main pool was packed like sardines. Las Hadas pool was a bit less crowded in the water, but still no seating. We just took some towels and settled down on the grass, trying to make the best of it. Pool was very cloudy, and when we did finally see lounges without towels on them the next morning, the cushions were quite dirty.
If you wanted to self-park...good luck. No spaces were available near our building (#13...very nice rooms!), so we parked wherever we could and walked. I do tend to think that many folks not staying at the property were there taking up spaces and using facilities. Given the layout of the property, not sure how much Westin could do to control this other than assigning "bracelets" to the paying guests! Anyway...rather than going on endlessly, I suppose if you are going at an off-peak time, you may not encounter all or any of these same problems. The property IS gorgeous, the golf course is as well, I guess I just expected more of the pampering and relaxation that I love about Westin resorts. This stay was about as relaxing as a trip to Disneyland.

Nice place

We stayed there for a weekend on an invitation package. My wife and kids loved the place. Nice pool area for the kids and I enjoyed the golf course. We did not get a chance to check out the SPA but I'm sure we will upon our return. We are now vacation owners there and are looking forward to spending time in the villas.

The Staff seemed very attentive and knowledgeable. There were no glitches in our visit. We are looking forward to the return visit.

Live MusicLive Music