Best Value Inn- Rancho Palos Verde

Americas Best Value Inn
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Hotels.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Rancho Palos Verdes

Nigel taking a cold winter dipNigel taking a cold winter dip

The entrance off of PV Dr South.The entrance off of PV Dr South.

Palos VerdesPalos Verdes

Catalina Island in the distanceCatalina Island in the distance

Elusive Tidepools of PV - snorkel&swim friendly

by ecogrl

Hey there. Curious about the PV tidepools referred to on this page. Back in the day, 1997-1999, I used to swim at these tidepools that were pretty deep, maybe 8-10 feet. Beautiful and pristine AND WARM - like Hawaii - with amazing sealife to swim with. To get down there, I used to park my car at a park above the cliffs that intersected somewhere near Hawthorne Blvd and PV drive. Sadly, when I tried to return there about 5 years ago, the place where I used to begin my trail to get to these tidepools has now been blocked off by some wealthy housing development there. Does anyone know what tidepools I'm referring to? Last time I went swimming there in 1999, there were a couple of snorkellers, sunbathers, and swimmers already there basking in the sun. It really did look and feel like the Olivine Tide Pools of Maui. I'm afraid though that the wealthy landowners living at the housing development may have now blocked public access to these tidepools, which is very unfortunate as it was such a gem. If anyone knows what tidepools I'm referring to and knows of an alternative path to get there (that preferably doesn't break any trespassing laws either), let me know. Thanks!

by brotherleelove

Look on the bright side. Blocking that trail may have just saved those tidepools from further encroachment by Man and their eventual destruction by uncaring swimmers and sunbathers, not to mention eliminating litter inside the pools.

by Roadquill

There should be public access routes. Wealthy landowners have long been attempting to close down access to beaches below their properties. One of the requirements for most developments is that the wealthy landowner (WL) deed over access rights next to their property asa condition for getting their permits to build. Sometimes these pathways are hard to find. There is a public rights organization that has listed and mapped all of these public access sites. We have this problem all the time in Malibu. The public is allowed to use the beaches up to the mean high tide line. Some of the WL's hire security guards to make sure beach goers go past the line. Karl

by Roadquill

Try LAurbanrangers.com here is the link to the Malibu access sites. Hopefully they have one for PV. (http://www.laurbanrangers.org/content/files/malibubeachessafari/laur_malibu_guide.pdf)

and BTW, I used to be a WL but I sold my lot about 8 years ago. Stupid me.....

Karl

by Odinnthor

I agree with Karl, there is always supposed to be public access to the beaches in California.

There ia road acces clear around the peninsula and it should not be a problem to get there. Since it has been a while since I drove around it, I looked for information as it is of interest. (I had considered getting married in the Wayfarer's Chapel on that road.)

I found a ton of information. Just Google Palos Verdes tidepools, and you will find all of it. Here are a couple, but there is more:

Good luck.....d:o)

by vtveen

Bookmark'
Hope to visit Rancho Palos Verde next year.

Travel Tips for Rancho Palos Verdes

Nike Missile Batteries just off Hawthorne

by ppayne

Rancho Palos Verdes' city hall was at one point a military installation used to house "Nike" anti-aircraft missiles (back in the bad old days of the Cold War). The old batteries and bunker intsallations are there (without missiles, of course), and can be explored by the adventurous as a look at a a piece of Cold War history. The interiors of the bunkers themselve are sealed and not accessible, but the launch platforms and other exterior fixtures are still there. It's also an area that gives a beautiful view of Catalina and the Pacific, and is a prime spot for RC aircraft pilots.

Now This is Living!

by RickinDutch

"The Rich and Not So Famous"

Rancho Palos Verdes is an exclusive housing area located on a peninsula that juts out of the south bay area directly south of Redondo Beach and Torrance and west of Long Beach and San Pedro. My favorite uncle and aunt lived here for many years and I always loved going to visit them. Their house was high on the hill overlooking where MarineLand used to be. On a clear day (which they had many of) you could see across the channel the 26 miles to Catalina Island.

Homes run over $1 million and yet it has a nice neighborhood feel. My uncle rose far above his Angela Ashes beginnings.

"Looking north from Palos Verdes"

Lots of rocky shoreline to explore on the Peninsula. Here is a view of the South Bay Area including Redondo and Hermosa Beaches.

Home

by flynboxes

"One of the few beaches in PV with sand"

Rancho Palos Verdes is my home. Lived here most of my life. If you are flying in to LAX it is the hill if you are looking out the left side of the plane.
It's a bit removed from the flash of Hollywood. In my mind it is a place to escape. "The Hill" as we sometimes call it is composed of the following cities: Rancho Palos Verdes, Palos Verdes Estates, Rolling Hills, Rolling Hills Estates and a small strip that is part LA City/County. Both PV Estates and RPV face the ocean with the gated community of Rolling Hills straddling the the top of the Peninsula. It is considered a bedroom since people tend to spend a bit of time in their houses...only a handful of bars up here so not much of an evening destination.

Comments