Terranea Resort

rudysmom626's Profile Photo

Gorgeous Resort on the Bluffs

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 4, 2013

I had heard about Terranea from their advertisements (which are seemingly everywhere), but also from friends who had gone down for a pool day at the hotel. Since it is only about 40 minutes from Santa Monica, I thought it would be the perfect destination for a lil weekend jaunt, and boy, was it ever!

The hotel grounds are really amazing - the views and bluffs are outstanding, making you feel as if you are much farther than a short 40 minute drive from the day-to-day. The service was great - they accommodated everything I asked (and the longer I work for a travel company, the bigger of a pain in the ass I've become), including being moved to a different room. I would strongly recommend this hotel to others, though I would also say that I will probably return as a day guest (like with a spa appointment) - the price added up fairly quickly, since it is one of those resorts where you sort of don't leave the property much once you are there, and food & drinks in those situations can be a killer. I was surprised by just how many kids are running around the place - it really is a total family package - and if my cousin came to visit with her youngsters, I would strongly recommend it. The resort does a great job of creating areas for adults (like the adult pool and spa area, both of which are 18+), so once I was out of the main hotel building, I really didn't notice the kids at all. It's an unique spot in that it would be great for a family reunion - people with kids would have lots to do, and people without kids wouldn't feel swarmed by nuggets non-stop.

I had a going away party for a good friend on Friday, so I didn't get to the hotel until 12:30 am... I was put in a handicapped room in the main building - it had a patio and great views, but I was underwhelmed. The real problem began at 7:30 am - when the entire family staying in the one bedroom next to me woke up. The hotel has been advertising some major deals, so I expected it to be crowded and lots of families - but the family in the room next to me had 5 people staying in a 350 sq foot room. According to the hotel's website, children under 17 can stay in the same room as their parents for free... but I was not ready for a screaming 6 year old, 3 year old, and newborn at 7:30 am. I quickly went to the Front Desk and demanded a new room, which I've never done in my life, and they were quite accommodating - they moved me into one of the Casitas on the far end of the property, which was much quieter and primarily all adults. It was a much further walk to the restaurants and facilities, so that might be something to consider, but personally, I valued the quiet and didn't mind the stroll to breakfast and the spa.

The first room had a very soft bed and lacked a tub, but had great air conditioning. The second room had a much better bed, the air conditioning was good but not as strong as the first unit; the room was overall much quieter and further removed, but also a much further walk to the eateries/activities, etc.

Unique Quality: As with many resorts, there was a daily resort fee in addition to the nightly price. At Terranea, this included:
- glass of champagne upon arrival (i came too late for this, but the next morning, many people seemed to be enjoying it, as there is a lovely patio off the lobby)
- unlimited high-speed internet access (worked well in both rooms)
- daily newspaper delivery (i got the LA Times)
- full access to the fitness center with complimentary fitness classes (I didn't have time for this, but they do offer 2 or 3 fitness classes everyday - not nearly as many as the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa - but I did use the gym and it was very nice, clean, and had working tvs and phenomenal views. While I was visiting, the classes including Seaside Cycle at 6 am, Yoga/Pilates Fusion at 7:30 am, and Tai Chi or Pilates at 10:00 am - all were a bit too early for me)
- access to The Links at Terranea's short game practice area
- Pool & Beach Service

Keep in mind, the resort fee does not include parking, which can be up to $35 dollars a day.

There are 3 pools on the property - the resort pool (with slides and kids), the Adult Pool (with DJ on the weekends and ages 18+), and the Spa Pool (which is supposedly reserved for spa guests, but they seem very accommodating on weekends, must be 18+ to enter). I didn't try the Resort Pool, but both the Adult Pool and Spa Pool were delightful. Both of those pools were saltwater, so that was a nice change from the usual chlorine.

kellinwood's Profile Photo

Specacular Ocean Front Resort

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 25, 2009

My wife and I spent two nights here in late October 2009. The resort is brand new having just opened the previous June and is spread out over 100 acres right on the ocean. The rooms are upscale and comfortable. For example, the alarm clock was also an iPod docking station/player. The bathrooms have a stone-tile floors, separate tubs and glass-enclosed showers. Each room has a balcony -- ours faced west to the ocean with a nice view of the sunset. The grounds are meticulously manicured with a mixture of native drought resistant vegetation and deep green lawns.

During our stay we ate at two of the restaurants at the resort. For breakfast at Catalina Kitchen on Saturday morning I had the best buttermilk pancakes I've ever had in my life. They were somehow simultaneously light and crispy, and absorbed the maple syrup perfectly. My wife also enjoyed her eggs benedict. We ate dinner at Nelson's, which is located cliff-side right above the water with a great west-facing view. It has a casual sports-bar feel and gets its theme from Loyd Bridge's character in the Sea Hunt television series which was sometimes filmed in the area. At Nelson's we each had the barbecued pulled-pork sandwich, which was very good.

There are several hiking and walking trails around the property. During our walk on Saturday afternoon we saw a group of whales travelling north. This was unusual since the annual Grey Whale migration takes place from December to April. This would be a great place to see the migration, with the best viewing during the months of January, February and March.

I would recommend this to others with the only caveat that it is very expensive. I consider it expensive even with the 50% seasonal room rate discount we got. I could never afford to stay here at the regular rates.

Unique Quality: The resort is on 100+ acres of spectacular ocean front property with 180 degree views of the Pacific ocean and Catalina Island. Amenities include several bars and restaurants, a family pool, adult pool, private cove, full service spa, meetings and banquet rooms, and a nine-hole golf course. The resort also offers kayaking, cycling, and horseback riding (off property).

The resort location is somewhat isolated in terms of alternative, off-property activities and dining. For example, the nearest shopping is several miles away at Peninsula Center. But not to worry, the resort offers no less than eight eating establishments on the property, everything from a coffee house to new-French cuisine.

Directions: Take Hawthorne Blvd. to the ocean in Rancho Palos Verdes and turn left. The resort is within the first mile on the right, just past the Pt. Vicente light house.

Nearby Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort

• Terranea Hotel Rancho Palos Verdes
  • Terranea Resort Rancho Palos Verdes

Address: 6610 Palos Verdes Drive South, Rancho Palos Verdes, California 90275, United States

10 Photos of Terranea Resort

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Rancho Palos Verdes Travel Forum

Need advice about Rancho Palos Verdes, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Rancho Palos Verdes and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Rancho Palos Verdes