Terranea Resort

6610 Palos Verdes Drive South, Rancho Palos Verdes, California 90275, United States

Orbitz.com Hotels.com Terranea.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 26% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• rudysmom626's Profile Photo

Gorgeous Resort on the Bluffs

I had heard about Terranea from their advertisements (which are seemingly everywhere), but also from friends who had gone down for a pool day at the hotel. Since it is only about 40 minutes from Santa Monica, I thought it would be the perfect destination for a lil weekend jaunt, and boy, was it ever!

The hotel grounds are really amazing - the views and bluffs are outstanding, making you feel as if you are much farther than a short 40 minute drive from the day-to-day. The service was great - they accommodated everything I asked (and the longer I work for a travel company, the bigger of a pain in the ass I've become), including being moved to a different room. I would strongly recommend this hotel to others, though I would also say that I will probably return as a day guest (like with a spa appointment) - the price added up fairly quickly, since it is one of those resorts where you sort of don't leave the property much once you are there, and food & drinks in those situations can be a killer. I was surprised by just how many kids are running around the place - it really is a total family package - and if my cousin came to visit with her youngsters, I would strongly recommend it. The resort does a great job of creating areas for adults (like the adult pool and spa area, both of which are 18+), so once I was out of the main hotel building, I really didn't notice the kids at all. It's an unique spot in that it would be great for a family reunion - people with kids would have lots to do, and people without kids wouldn't feel swarmed by nuggets non-stop.

I had a going away party for a good friend on Friday, so I didn't get to the hotel until 12:30 am... I was put in a handicapped room in the main building - it had a patio and great views, but I was underwhelmed. The real problem began at 7:30 am - when the entire family staying in the one bedroom next to me woke up. The hotel has been advertising some major deals, so I expected it to be crowded and lots of families - but the family in the room next to me had 5 people staying in a 350 sq foot room. According to the hotel's website, children under 17 can stay in the same room as their parents for free... but I was not ready for a screaming 6 year old, 3 year old, and newborn at 7:30 am. I quickly went to the Front Desk and demanded a new room, which I've never done in my life, and they were quite accommodating - they moved me into one of the Casitas on the far end of the property, which was much quieter and primarily all adults. It was a much further walk to the restaurants and facilities, so that might be something to consider, but personally, I valued the quiet and didn't mind the stroll to breakfast and the spa.

The first room had a very soft bed and lacked a tub, but had great air conditioning. The second room had a much better bed, the air conditioning was good but not as strong as the first unit; the room was overall much quieter and further removed, but also a much further walk to the eateries/activities, etc.

Unique Quality: As with many resorts, there was a daily resort fee in addition to the nightly price. At Terranea, this included:
    - glass of champagne upon arrival (i came too late for this, but the next morning, many people seemed to be enjoying it, as there is a lovely patio off the lobby)
    - unlimited high-speed internet access (worked well in both rooms)
    - daily newspaper delivery (i got the LA Times)
    - full access to the fitness center with complimentary fitness classes (I didn't have time for this, but they do offer 2 or 3 fitness classes everyday - not nearly as many as the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa - but I did use the gym and it was very nice, clean, and had working tvs and phenomenal views. While I was visiting, the classes including Seaside Cycle at 6 am, Yoga/Pilates Fusion at 7:30 am, and Tai Chi or Pilates at 10:00 am - all were a bit too early for me)
    - access to The Links at Terranea's short game practice area
    - Pool & Beach Service

Keep in mind, the resort fee does not include parking, which can be up to $35 dollars a day.

There are 3 pools on the property - the resort pool (with slides and kids), the Adult Pool (with DJ on the weekends and ages 18+), and the Spa Pool (which is supposedly reserved for spa guests, but they seem very accommodating on weekends, must be 18+ to enter). I didn't try the Resort Pool, but both the Adult Pool and Spa Pool were delightful. Both of those pools were saltwater, so that was a nice change from the usual chlorine.

• kellinwood's Profile Photo

Specacular Ocean Front Resort

My wife and I spent two nights here in late October 2009. The resort is brand new having just opened the previous June and is spread out over 100 acres right on the ocean. The rooms are upscale and comfortable. For example, the alarm clock was also an iPod docking station/player. The bathrooms have a stone-tile floors, separate tubs and glass-enclosed showers. Each room has a balcony -- ours faced west to the ocean with a nice view of the sunset. The grounds are meticulously manicured with a mixture of native drought resistant vegetation and deep green lawns.

During our stay we ate at two of the restaurants at the resort. For breakfast at Catalina Kitchen on Saturday morning I had the best buttermilk pancakes I've ever had in my life. They were somehow simultaneously light and crispy, and absorbed the maple syrup perfectly. My wife also enjoyed her eggs benedict. We ate dinner at Nelson's, which is located cliff-side right above the water with a great west-facing view. It has a casual sports-bar feel and gets its theme from Loyd Bridge's character in the Sea Hunt television series which was sometimes filmed in the area. At Nelson's we each had the barbecued pulled-pork sandwich, which was very good.

There are several hiking and walking trails around the property. During our walk on Saturday afternoon we saw a group of whales travelling north. This was unusual since the annual Grey Whale migration takes place from December to April. This would be a great place to see the migration, with the best viewing during the months of January, February and March.

I would recommend this to others with the only caveat that it is very expensive. I consider it expensive even with the 50% seasonal room rate discount we got. I could never afford to stay here at the regular rates.

Unique Quality: The resort is on 100+ acres of spectacular ocean front property with 180 degree views of the Pacific ocean and Catalina Island. Amenities include several bars and restaurants, a family pool, adult pool, private cove, full service spa, meetings and banquet rooms, and a nine-hole golf course. The resort also offers kayaking, cycling, and horseback riding (off property).

The resort location is somewhat isolated in terms of alternative, off-property activities and dining. For example, the nearest shopping is several miles away at Peninsula Center. But not to worry, the resort offers no less than eight eating establishments on the property, everything from a coffee house to new-French cuisine.

Directions: Take Hawthorne Blvd. to the ocean in Rancho Palos Verdes and turn left. The resort is within the first mile on the right, just past the Pt. Vicente light house.

More about Terranea Resort

Great experience at Terranea

by TripAdvisor Member cgooch

My daughter and I had the opportunity to spend a night at this resort and we took advantage of the reasonable online rates. Check in was very efficient and although I booked a “resort view” room, I was given an ocean front room with two double beds. The resort was clean and bright which was to be expected as it is brand new. The room was well appointed and it was nice to have free wireless internet. The bed was extremely comfortable.

The signature restaurant Mar’sel was full that night so we enjoyed a casual meal at Nelsons which was pretty good and reasonably priced. The service was just ok. We ate inside as it was somewhat windy and cold but there was a good amount of outdoor seating as well with great views.

In the morning, I walked the grounds and took pictures of the beautiful scenery. The grounds are lovely and quite peaceful. We purchased a package that included breakfast. We opted for the buffet which offered a number of choices and was for the most part quite good. Once again the service was just ok.

As we had a late flight home we opted to hang out and relax at the pool for the afternoon which was quite enjoyable.

I think that this resort is a great getaway for couples or families. We enjoyed it and other than the mediocre service in the restaurants and at the pool which I think will improve as the resort is open longer, everything was perfect. I hope that I have the opportunity to visit again.

Looks are DEFINITELY deceiving

by TripAdvisor Member vjsinghisking

I stayed at Terranea for the night of June 19th, and having lodged at its sister property, The Royal Palms, I had high expectations given that I planned a relaxing and romantic getaway with my girlfriend.

The resort is perched upon a cliff with magnificent views of the Pacific Ocean and Palos Verdes mountains. We had an ocean front casita which is well appointed, but I'm hard pressed to provide further accolades.

The service is ATROCIOUS! I should have been forewarned as when checking in, I stood in line for approximately 30 minutes waiting for a front desk representative. The three concierges behind us were unoccupied, but they made no attempt to assist. Naturally, the queue of about 20 people all had exasperated looks. Then, upon check-in, no one informed us that only 2 of the 6 restaurants would be open beyond 8pm, and a restaurant reservation would be recommended. Your eyes did not deceive. Terranea closed the kitchens to the poolside grille at 8pm, forcing folks to frequent Nelsons or Catalina Kitchen. And since we had no reservation, the wait to be seated exceeded 45minutes. Naturally, we attempted to dull the pain with the complementary champagne, yet the waitress prevented us from taking two flutes. When we finally were seated, we noticed that one quarter of the tables were empty. I later learned that Terranea has yet to hire the requisite number of chefs, sous chefs, and waitstaff.

I have been very fortunate to have stayed at exceptional 5* properties worldwide such as Taj properties, Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, St. Regis, etc. And, if Terranea aspires to be 5*, management of the resort better adapt quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if Terranea has the staying power of a sitcom with Sanjaya. I won't frequent the hotel in the future.

Wow! Wow!! And another WOW!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member whatintheheck

I am a resident of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, and we were one of those people destined to tour the hotel when it opened. We didn't expect much, as we are used to travelling to top rated resorts around the world. But, we were definitely "wowed". Terranea is one of the most incredible resorts we have ever been to. It is situated in a stunning location, the grounds are gorgeous, and there is so much to do while at the resort. We live 10 minutes away, yet we will vacation here with our family, and I will recommend the resort to the most seasoned world travelers.

Stunning + spectacular yet soothing, seductive + surprisingly peaceful

by TripAdvisor Member b0nniej0y

W-O-W! From the second I walked into this resort, I was amazed at its stunning oceanfront location and its spectacular 270 degree ocean views. It was Father's Day and I met my family at Catalina Kitchen for a mid-day brunch. By the time we were seated, the restaurant was very busy with lots of people both inside and outside in the courtyard, with many more around the pool just beyond the restaurant's edge. Yet, it was not loud nor did it feel crowded. Rather, it felt peaceful and relaxing.
The brunch was excellent and the service was very good. The only thing I would have to note is that there were no green salads offered in the buffet. Otherwise, the food was as one would expect from a five star resort.
Afterwards we took a leisurely stroll around the resort and then my family went home. I opted to spend the night, seduced by Terranea's wonderful on-line "welcome" rates. My king size resort view room was very nicely appointed and I was happy to spend the rest of the day on my back "porch", watching everyone frolic around the pool.
The next day I enjoyed a wonderful "Alluring" seaweed pedicure at the Spa and then was told I could lay out for the rest of the day in the woman's outdoor lounge area. This is an experience not to be missed. The lounge lies directly above the surf, with waves that actually sound soothing as they crash over the rocks below. Add in some gentle spa music and wonderfully comfortable double-wide lounging chairs, and you have the recipe for a perfect day! I was able to order "room service" from Nelson's and I enjoyed my shrimp tacos and Bloody Mary immensely. The Spa staff went out of their way to get me my food and drink on time and in perfect order. Sadly, I had to leave after only three hours, but I did so feeling relaxed and calmed by the opportunity to "bond with the Pacific ocean." It was a magical experience, not to be missed. I highly recommend an overnight stay at this stunning new resort.

Awesome views and very relaxing

by TripAdvisor Member jkmom

I stayed two nights in an ocean view king bed room and had awesome views right from my room. The bed was super comfortable and I loved the large flat screen TV. I was staying at the hotel for a wedding and was very impressed by how well the staff prepared for it. The food was delicious and full of flavor. The hotel has only been open for a few weeks so there were a few kinks - like not getting maid service the first morning, room missing a few items, and my bath tub looked like it hadn't been cleaned (although I have to say I don't think anyone else has stayed in my room yet since it was brand new). The bathroom was georgous and very spacious.

I used the trails around the property to go jogging and was surprised that I was able to get about 45 minutes in. Also, the fitness center was fully stocked and the trainer was welcoming when I went in to do a little strength training after my run.

The pools were really nice and very clean. The large pool is great for kids and I enjoyed the water slide too. I would definitely stay here again. It's more of a destination than a hotel just to stay and go to amusement parks. I'd stay for at least 4-5 days to really experience it.

A True RESORT and great get away... location, location, location

by TripAdvisor Member Mattsaab

I was blown away at this resort since it offers one of the most beautiful locations on the California coast. The architecture is laid back and elegant and the views from nearly every room are of the ocean. The pools (3 of them) are unique, incredibly located on the cliff above the pacific and destinations in themselves. Another great thing are the restaurants--varried, great locations, nice menus and fair pricing. The paths around the hotel are fantastic and follw the coastline like no other hotel in LA.

Beautiful resort, stellar location, but not up to par yet!

by TripAdvisor Member mishottie

First, let me say I have been to several luxury properties, including some on CNT top 100 list - Post Ranch Inn, Sanctuary, Four Seasons, Grand Wailea and have high expectations. I would like to have rated a 4 or 5 but I could not based on my experience opening weekend. I stayed with two of my girlfriends in a double bed ocean view room for four nights on a discounted package. If I had paid anywhere near rack rate I would have been upset, but considering what we paid and the fact that they are still working out the kinks, it was okay.
Also, let me echo other's comments that it is a wonderful location with stellar views of Catalina on a clear day and we were fortunate enough to have unusually good weather during our stay. The resort is beautiful, but they have a lot of work to do to bring it up to the level they are purporting in their advertisements.

Here is the good, bad, and the ugly as I see it:

Good:- Beautiful grounds, views from entire property, location, location, location.
- Spa, while expensive, is located right on the edge of the ocean and is worth it if you make a day of it by using the amenities like the steam, sauna, courtyard and spa designated only pool (steam and sauna were non-operable when I was there which was a big disappointment).
- Comfortable beds, luxurious linens and towels.
- Most of the staff were pleasant and friendly
- Staff were trying to please and apologetic for mishaps
- Close to LAX, Manhattan Beach, but feels a world away from L.A.

Bad:
- Our room (deluxe oceanfront double) was extremely small (450 sf?) with one sink in bath and 2 double beds instead of queens (they should have opted for queens for families and girlfriends).
- We had only HOT water in our shower - could not get cool or cold at all unless we barely turned the handle and then it was lukewarm but with hardly any water pressure
(we called on this and someone did come up but we were still in the room and asked them to come back and they never did so we all took trickling showers for four days).
- Housekeeping inconsisent
- FOOD! I was so disappointed with the menus - they were very limited and so expensive for what you get and with the exception of one meal at Nelsons, the food was mediocre at BEST! Nelsons did have excellent fish n chips!
- Valet/Bellman - brought up some of our luggage but several pieces were missing and we had to track it down
- Drinks - they were very good, but they really should have some type of cocktail/happy hour for guests
- Concierge - no maps of surrounding areas (other than "Where" mag which is not for the immediate area) and when I called about activities I could not get any definitive answers for kayaking or yoga or any activities that might have been offerred.
- Don't expect a bottled water at valet on your way out like the montage or sanctuary - they don't offer it (they claimed some coastal commission regulation?)
- Only one elevator in main building and getting to rooms is a maze
- The areas off the elevators need some furnishings (ie...bench, plants, paintings, seating on the verandas - hopefully that is already being worked on.
- Windows on our floor were dirty the entire four day stay.
- Check your bill - ours was incorrect and I had to wait 30 min. at checkout to get it resolved.

At any other resort, we would have been upgraded or offered something to compensate for the mishaps, but because they were so busy and it was their first weekend, I didn't bother to make an issue of it. However, I have another reservation to return with a friend in late July and hope that these things will be worked out by then.

Tips: Drive to Manhattan Beach and go to Shade for happy hour and dinner in the square there (they have greek food, sushi, italian). Redondo, Hermosa, and Manhattan are about 15-20 minute drive. Also, just up the road from the resort a mile or so is a wonderful Starbucks where you can sit on the patio and enjoy the view with your coffee or take the kids to Subway (there is also a japanese and italian restaurant there). We had a drink at Admiral Risty's and put our name in for dinner, but after the terrible martinis and looking at the overpriced menu, we left. I truly hope things improve because the resort feels a world away from L.A. I plan to report again after my next visit.

Wait a year or two

by TripAdvisor Member Ryan1110

A nice looking hotel in a great location. The service across the board was truly horrible. The staff appears to have had no training. Restaurants look pretty but so so food comes with long waits and high prices. Stay away until the kinks are gone.

Crashing expectations

by TripAdvisor Member tashinski

I was so excited at the prospects of a brand new luxury Resort opening near LA. Envisioned the very best of everything, yet I was sorely let down once I stepped foot on the property. Granted the view is beautiful but the feel of the place resembles more like a train station than a secluded private luxury resort.
The staff is young and highly inexperienced. No one seems to know anything and you get bounced from one person to the next. Signs leading to the property are literally non existent and signs within the property pointing you towards the spa, lobby , pool or restaurant too few and far in between.
We got there at around 2pm and so it was too late for the main restaurant so we dined at the bar. Put simply, the bar food was horried! the kids fried chicken meal comprised of 2 overfried wings! The turkey salad was akin to MacDonalds version only at a much higher price point. Nelsons Bar was understaffed, poorly and inadequately trained!
The bar menu so limited..confined and utterly greasy! Fried, fried and more fried food accurately describes the gist of the menu! Knife, fork and napkin were considered a luxury at this place. You can only get it if you ask for it 3 or more times!
Altogether, a beautiful view, shame about the lack of concentration on the finer details.

Comments