Americas Best Value Inn-Redlands/San Bernardino

Americas Best Value Inn - Redlands / San Bernardino
Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Redlands

Redlands sunsetRedlands sunset

Local Roadrunner in Redlands (mostly on State St)Local Roadrunner in Redlands (mostly on State St)

Peek Inside's welcoming front doorPeek Inside's welcoming front door

Redlands SunsetRedlands Sunset

Travel Tips for Redlands

You must see a play if you're...

by TrueBeliever

You must see a play if you're going to be in town for any length of time. The last play I saw was called 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' (by William Shakespeare of course) at the beginning of the year and I was awestruck with what a masterpiece it was. It's a comedy, but is both thought-provoking and bust-a-gut hillarious. It will be something I will remember for the rest of my life.
My favorite lines:
'I never may believe these antique fables, nor fairy toys. Lovers and madmen have such seething brains...The lunatic, the lover, and the poet are of imagination all compact. One sees more devils than vast hell can hold. THAT is the madman. The lover, all as frantic, see's Helen's beauty in a brow of Egypt. The poet's eye, in a fine frenzy rolling, doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven...And as imagination bodies forth the forms of things unknown..the poet's pen turns them to shapes, and gives to airy nothing a local habitation and a name...'
Now imagine these words spoken passionately by an actor standing in front of you. Just as music is better live and in person, so is the story played out in real-time before your eyes--rather than on television or in a movie theater. Whoever you are, wherever you are, if you have any small part of you that loves stories and the passion invoked within them when they place a mirror in front of our eyes and make us weep or laugh at who we are, go see a play. You won't regret it...

redlands history- oranges abound

by chaistarr

Redlands' warm days and cold nights were the perfect climate for navel oranges, producing an exceptionally sweet and beautifully colored orange. Beginning in the late 1880s and continuing strongly until the late 1950s, Redlands was the heart of the largest navel orange producing region in the world. At one point Redlands boasted no fewer than 22 citrus packing houses, and it was the rare Redlander who was not involved in some way with the navel orange industry. In 1904 more than a million boxes of fruit were shipped out on 9,000 boxcars.

Unique gem in a small town

by photochaser

I discovered this extremely interesting little shop awhile ago and I can't get over the selection of unique things they have to offer. The name is "Peek Inside."

The owner really loves her job! Each week you can go in and find something new. It is hard to get out without buying something. But be sure you will love everything you decide to buy even if you don't need it!

I recently went visited the shop with just an idea of what I was looking for to finish off the tables for my wedding. I found the perfect thing and was only in the store for about 10 minutes! I was told that if the color/style did not work, I was free to return it and get my money back. They are extremely accomodating to their customers. They go that extra mile to make you feel special. And I suppose you are if you are lucky enough to find this shop and purchase some of their unique items.

As you can see I highly recommend this shop.

Small Town With A Nice Downtown

by jmmgarza

"Oranges and Victorians"

This small town (pop. 65,000) is about 60 miles from LA (3-5 hour round trip) and 80 miles from San Diego. Don't ask me how long that takes... too long! As towns come in the Inland Empire, this is one of the better ones. The city is filled with historic homes and buildings on one side of Highway 10. On the other there are new residential and retail (malls) developments. What a contrast.

San Bernardino (pop. 200,000), the community next door, has seen much better days. It has suffered terribly from the closing of businesses and military installations. Riverside (pop. 320,000), is about 15 miles away. There you will find a community that is prospering. Riverside has good museums, a large university and several unique nightclubs.

Redlands doesn't really support nightlife. I guess the city fathers and mothers don't want to hire more police to quell potential problems. By the way, there is a great little college here called the University of Redlands. My wife is a professor there. Sure is quiet in Redlands. About 10 miles away is the San Manuel Casino. There you will find gambling, dancing, concerts, drinking and smoking. I don't go there because I don't like smoke too much.

Life is slow in Redlands. Some folks call the place Deadlands. If you have money you have parties, travel, go to one of the three plush restaurants downtown or venture as often as you can to the big cities of LA and San Diego. As for myself, I just stay home and fondly reminisce about life in Austin, Texas and San Francisco, California. Good news, things are looking up for me. I am planning to move to Riverside, a bigger city 15 miles away. It is not the Big City, but it will do in the interim.

TrueBeliever's new Redlands Page

by TrueBeliever

Redlands is a relatively traditional small town roughly a hundred miles east of San Diego. Despite its small size, people of various interests will find something to do whether they enjoy night clubs, the theater, or a simple drive around town to see the sights. It is a town rich in the arts and even has a small amusement park called Pharoah's Lost Kingdom above the north end of town right next to the San Bernardino Museum. I've lived here for four years and have found it to be a place with it's own unique charm and identity and safer than some neighboring communities (Such as San Bernardino). It's a little like a jewel in the rough (or somethin' like that).

Comments