223 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, California, 94065, United States

Sofitel San Francisco Bay
Expedia.com Booking.com Sofitel

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• This Sofitel is near nothing.

My wife attended a conference at this Sofitel, located in Redwood Shores. The hotel is in the middle of a large office park with NOTHING to do for the spouse. In fact, the available wine tour ($62) bus didn't even pick up at the Sofitel. It would have cost a $25 taxi ride to the nearest pick up point and then a taxi back to the hotel. The room itself was worn. The couch had an ink stain and the couch's seats were worn. Although the Sofitel web site says that each room has an in-room safe, that is not true. Only the suites have such. There is NO coffee maker in the room. On the plus side, the bed was comfortable. Oh, did I mention the peeling paint on the bathroom door? The week before her conference, I called the hotel requesting a lagoon view room. Our room directly overlooked the street and a gravel roof. When I called the desk, we were told that our rate of $168 was a special for the conference and a lagoon view would be an addition nightly charge of $30.

Directions: Smack in the middle of an office park. There is not a restaurant nor a thing to do within walking distance.

More about Sofitel - San Francisco Bay

Excellent airport hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mollywolly

We recently stayed at this hotel for one night. We had flown in from Las Vegas and the hotel's shuttle bus picked us up from the airport within 15 minutes of our call. Although the room wasn't huge it was spotlessly clean with lovely toiletries in the bathroom. Service from all members of staff was excellent. Breakfast in the hotel's restaurant was freshly cooked and delicious. If you are looking for a good quality hotel near SFO then I would highly recommend the Sofitel.

relax at the Redwood Shores lagoon

by TripAdvisor Member mundus

We stayed at the Sofitel after a transatlantic flight before our holidays in California. It is an ideal airport hotel,, relatively close to the airport guaranteeing a comfortable stay at the Redwood Shores lagoon. Upon arrival at SFO, we called the concierge and 15 minutes later, the complementary hotel shuttle met us at the airport. For departure, the hotel shuttle leaves the hotel on the hour.
The hospitality of the staff is of a high standard. The concierge provided us with all te local information we needed about food stores, shopping malls, etc. The spacious and tastefully designed restaurant has a view over the lagoon. The large swimming pool area opens on the lagoon.

Can't wait to go back

by TripAdvisor Member PlanoTxMember

I loved staying here. The room was very nice and I did not open the front door even once as I came and went from the hotel - the doorman was on top of his game. The only problem that I had was that we called to request an extra sheet (they only use the comforter on the bed - which is way too much for me to sleep with) and it took a while for housekeeping to bring it (and a second phone call). It probably would have been a problem had we not gotten very late and I was ready to go to sleep.
The concierge offered excellent suggestions on where to eat dinner. The fresh flowers in the room and chocolate was a very nice touch.
I can't wait to go back.

Lovely Interior Design

by TripAdvisor Member NorCal5

We had a room with two double beds which were very comfortable. The room was clean and neat. A big plus is that you do not have to pay extra parking fees for your car.
If you are looking for a swimming pool to entertain your kids, this hotel might not be the best choice, because the pool is tiny, and it is located close to the water bay and thus gets quite a bit of wind. However, this hotel seems more geared toward business travelers than families. What I missed was a coffee maker in the room. No free coffee in the lounge either. But a coffee shop in the foyer satisfied the early need for caffeine. Overall, I would choose this hotel again.

Very Relaxing & Good Beds

by TripAdvisor Member nhcsmith

We stayed here for just one night en-route back to Europe from New Zealand. Great choice! Beds very comfy and hotel quiet; we had our best night's sleep for some time. Other hotel facilities up-to usual Sofitel high standard. Recommended.

beautiful.....but boring

by TripAdvisor Member hfm28

This is a beautiful hotel. The interior is close to breathtaking and the staff is amazing. (especially if you're seduced by a French accent)

No free coffee. None. It's just a few cents more expensive than Starbucks, so there you go. We didn't eat in the restaurant or have drinks at the bar.

We got a fantastic deal for 2-nights stay; you should never have to pay the listed price for this hotel.

The pool is TINY. It's only 3.5 ft deep-no laps. It is probably great for kids, though. The fitness room is huge and very decked-out with tons of equipment, including Precor machines with flat screens mounted on them. Nice!

The rooms are nicely decorated and the best part are the BEDS. Huge fluffy duvets, pillows, pillowtop matress, and the softest sheets ever. You'll love it.

Your only drawback is you must rent a car or pay quite a few $$ in cab fare to get anywhere from the hotel. There is no nearby public transportation and the nearest places to eat (in a strip mall) are about a 15-minute walk away, which was not a big deal for us. There is a Starbucks, Japanese, Pizza, Sandwich, and deli eateries, and a grocery store.

Excellent Value - Nice Touches

by TripAdvisor Member TravelGal2Anywhere

Just got back from my cousin's wedding at the Pacific Athletic Club, which was literally two minutes from the Sofitel--very convenient. I agree with the last five reviewers' positive and less-than-positive remarks, so I won't repeat what they said. I'll merely add a few more plusses (no negative remarks from me!) or expand on what they said:

* Superb service--European style--genuinely friendly, helpful, accommodating, wanting to please, pleasant
* Business hotel with simple elegance and luxury
* Clean, intimate and inviting lounging areas in the lobby--think somewhat minimalist style, but with more comfortable seats and an occasional flourish (e.g., front doors, chandelier)
* Quality pastries, coffees and fresh fruit in the "Market" shop (lobby) for around $10-$15--not inexpensive but fair in my opinion
* Fun and unique souvenirs in the "Market" shop
* Free use of computers (three of them) and Internet in the lobby
* Lovely subtle scents throughout the hotel--lobby, room, lounges--without being overpowering; didn't smell like a typical old, tired, musty hotel
* Quick, efficient elevators (we were on the top floor) which opened to a wide landing
* Clean, wider-than-usual hallways
* Impeccably clean, quiet, roomy rooms (we had three) with sitting area
* Didn't pay for a fancy view (i.e., lake, pool), but had a lovely view of the hills beyond the 101 freeway and roof--not bad for the price
* LOVED COMING HOME AT MIDNIGHT from the wedding with turn-down service, two complimentary bottles of water, fresh towels, bathroom and room straightened (with things left untouched) and the weather report handwritten on a piece of paper and left on the desk!
* At checkout--commented on the complimentary bottles of water as a nice touch--clerk gave us two more for the road
* Fair price; great value--check hotel website directly for their specials (wedding guests paid $99 per night)

Overall, my family and I were impressed. Although we enjoy B&Bs and boutique hotels and inns very much, this hotel along with the Hyatt will be our choice of large "chain" hotels and resorts throughout the world.

Happy travels!

Very nice

by TripAdvisor Member GrandaWho

Great hotel. Nice rooms, very clean, all the facilities you could want. Its a little out of the way if you are visiting SF and there isnt much nearby, without a car. Forget the shop with its six dollar chocalate but the restaurant is not bad. The shuttle bus is good too, and the staff are friendly. One gripe - Wireless internet a tad expensive. It should be free!

Pleasant Surprise & Great Value

by TripAdvisor Member CWY

After deciding to spend a couple of days and nights sightseeing and visiting relatives in SF, my wife & I decided on the Sofitel due to its quieter (as compared to downtown SF) location and free parking ($40+/day in the City). We paid about $110/night.

Driving from LA, we arrived at the hotel past midnight. Since it's located in a large business district with no other hotels directly nearby, it was pretty easy to find. While they offer valet service, there was plenty of parking in the fee parking garage, even over Labor Day weekend.

Checking in was a breeze and quite reminiscent of our honeymoon in Paris as the front desk personnel all spoke with French accents. Our room was well appointed and the bed/bedding a huge surprise. SO COMFORTABLE !!! Now, my wife wants our bed at home to be like the Sofitel's.

After our long drive, I needed to stretch out so I went down to use their gym which offers a wide selection of free weights, machines, exercise balls & mats and various cardio machines (I was very impressed). I used the gym again the next day since there was such a wide variety. The fresh fruit and bottled water was also a nice touch.

Breakfast at the restauarant also turned out to be wonderful. While initially the prices appear to be on par with other hotel menus (~20% higher than restaurants), they give very generous portions and the servers continued to refill our fresh OJ and french pressed coffee. It was well worth it.

The 3 free Internet computers at the lobby also was very convenient. The lobby is a fun place to just sit and relax and is very well decorated with an open layout.

We definitely look forward to going back and staying at the Sofitel as soon as we can. Yes, it's a bit out of the ways (~20 min from the City) and there's not much to do in the surrounding area... however, it's still well worth it and highly, highly recommened.

Comments