3170 Garrity Way, Richmond, CA 94806
Extended Stay America - Richmond - Hilltop Mall
Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Richmond

SS Red Oak Liberty Ship (from Internet)SS Red Oak Liberty Ship (from Internet)

Marina Bay at RichmondMarina Bay at Richmond

Mudpuppy Dog/Human Cafe at ParkMudpuppy Dog/Human Cafe at Park

Shoreline view of Golden Gate BridgeShoreline view of Golden Gate Bridge

Travel Tips for Richmond

Why visit Richmond?

by jakesanderson

My grandfather was born in Richmond. I have early memories of visiting my great-grandmother and great-aunt here. It is mostly famous for gang violence and crime at this point, but there are still some pleasant aspects to this city by the bay.

Richmond, CA - Stay Away!

by Karnubawax

Every city has its bad neighborhoods. If you consider the "East Bay" to be one gigantic city, then Oakland is its downtown, Berkeley is its university, Walnut Creek and Concord its boring suburbs, and Richmond is its ghetto.

Richmond has always been a rough and tumble city with more than its share of crime, but the situation has dramatically worsened over the last few years, giving Richmond a well-deserved reputation as a scummy, ultra-violent ghetto. This is not to be confused with Point Richmond, a detached area on the water to the west of the city which is a rich enclave, but which also has no reason to visit.

If there is a reason to visit Richmond, I certainly can't think of what it might be. In addition, I would strongly recommend that if, for some reason, you do find yourself driving through Richmond that you DO NOT STOP for any reason! Not to get gas and definitely not to stop at one of the hundreds of liquor stores where all sorts of unsavory types hang out. This is especially true on Cutting Blvd., but even San Pablo Ave - a major north/south street - is pretty sketchy once you get in Richmond.

I used to work in Richmond as a motel desk clerk in the 80's, and, as scummy and gross as it was then, it was downright safe compared to what it's like now. DO NOT GO TO RICHMOND!

UPDATE: Okay, so I've gotten to know some people who actually live in Richmond, who have told me that parts of Richmond are not all that bad. Some of the other pages show some nice parks for dog-running and boat access.

That being said.... the parts of Richmond you're likely to encounter are, unfortunately, the bad ones... particularly Cutting Blvd and the other main streets. And there's still no reason to go here in my book.

ANOTHER UPDATE: I hereby retract my previous statement! Last night (11/29/06) Richmond was the scene of 5 shootings -with at least 2 fatalities (including a young mother who was murdered in her car while her child watched)- in just 90 minutes! STAY FAR AWAY FROM RICHMOND, CALIFORNIA!

YET ANOTHER UPDATE: Here we are at the end of 2007, and Richmond gets worse and worse. The city topped 50 murders this year, including a period during August where there were 12 shootings in 24 hours! (In comparison, San Francisco has 7 times the population and 100 murders - which is considered REALLY bad!) Just last week, two sikh brothers who started an Indian restaurant were shot to death in their business for no apparent reason. This was not deep in the 'hood - this was on San Pablo Ave, which is the main drag.

If you want a good laugh amidst all this savagery, read the Wikipedia page for Richmond, CA; whoever wrote it deserves an award for "looking on the bright side."

I can not repeat this enough, people... STAY OUT OF RICHMOND, CA!

Richmond, California

by middlekauff

Richmond, California is where my wife and I live. We bought our house in 1957. We raised our four kids here and for some strange reason enlarged it after the kids moved out.

For those of you who don't know (and I imagine that is most of you), Richmond is about 20 miles NNE of San Francisco. We have moderate winters and less than perfect summers.

If we want HOT weather, we head down south. If we want snow, we head east to Lake Tahoe. If we want to be given the deep-freeze, we head up to Oregon (they hate us up there).

I guess it is typical, but even though we have traveled all around the world, we have not yet set foot on Alcatraz, the former prison in San Francisco Bay. We very seldom go across the Golden Gate Bridge and we would rather fly out of Oakland than SFO.

Richmond basically got it's start during WWII as one of the ship building centers. There were three shipyards (they called them shipyard 1, shipyard 2 and shipyard 3) and they turned out many, many ships during the war. After the war ended, many people who came from all over America to help in the war effort lost their jobs, and parts of Richmond fell into disrepair.

Luckly, ours is not one of them.

r_empwrmnt's New Travelogue on Richmond

by r_empwrmnt

<!--

//Comment trail script- By Kurt (kurt.grigg@virgin.net)
//Script featured on Dynamic Drive
//Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com for this script and more

Clrs=new Array('ff0000','00ff00','ffffff','ff00ff','ffa500','ffff00','00ff00','ffffff','ff00ff')
amount=10;
Xpos = 0;
Ypos = 0;
if (document.layers){
for (i = 0; i < amount; i++)
{document.write('')}
window.onMouseMove = nsMouse;
else if (document.all){
document.write(''
+'');
for (i = 0; i < amount; i++)
{document.write('')}