3649 Mission Inn Ave, Riverside, CA, 92501
Expedia.com Priceline.com MissionInn.com

More about Mission Inn

Gotta love it

by TripAdvisor Member mrsdingles

My husband and I have stayed at the Inn on 3 different occasions. I must say, if we do get a chance for a getaway weekend, this is where I book.

From the valet, to the doorman, front desk, and room service, everyone we came in contact with is friendly and warm. We have stayed in several types of rooms, and I have one complaint- don't stay in room facing one of the main streets or restaurants. On our last visit, we had a jr. suite above Las Campanas restaurant on the corner, facing 2 busy streets and it was quite loud, all night long.

If you get the opportunity, Duane's Steakhouse is a must!! Even when we don't stay at the Inn, we always go to Duane's for a special, romantic evening. Even the room service food is wonderful. I cannot say enough about what a treat this hotel is- right here in my own city!

Interesting Hotel - Best part of downtown Riverside

by TripAdvisor Member juniemonster

I stayed here when attending a conference at the Riverside Convention Center - this was the "overflow" hotel, 2 blocks down the pedestrian mall from the Convention center. I thoroughly enjoyed staying in this historic hotel. It felt more like a "lodge" than a "resort" (very dark inside), though I know that's not what it's supposed to be. But I liked it. It was especially nice at night, with the low lights lighting up the courtyard and the pool. My room was on the 2nd floor, with an outside entrance. The room itself was standard, but my bathroom had a 2 story skylight, which was lovely. A downside was that there was a sitting area on the walkway right outside my room, and various men (guests, staff) would sit out there talking and smoking! Not only did it wake me up early, but as I was a woman staying by myself and there seemed to always be men hanging outside my window, I had to keep my windows closed and drapes shut all the time. The staff were nice and friendly - lots of students at UC Riverside. The concierge was also very helpful - helped me rent a car.

I had dinner at the Mexican restaurant one night, which was very nice - outdoor seatng with heatlamps, and had coffee every morning at the coffee shop. I ordered room service, which was slow and expensive, but the food was good. The swimming pool and hot tub were lovely, and probably because it seemed cool to the Californians, the pools were always empty in March even though it was 80 degrees. The fitness room was fine (typical), but was very very crowded in the morning. If I wasn't there when it opened, I couldn't get a machine. The wireless connection only worked sporadically, and only worked in the lobby. However, the pedestrian mall is all wireless, so you could take your computer down to the coffee shop to use the Internet.

A note about the neighborhood. Downtown Riverside is not a nice area. They are surely attempting to make the pedestrian mall nice, and there are a few restaurants and a great used bookstore, but there are also a lot of sketchy looking people hanging around. I was told by the front desk staff that I shouldn't go out to my car by myself in the parking lot (which I really appreciated the candor of this young woman), and that I should not go walking around by myself off the mall. I did go for a few walks, and just a block off the mall there are hundreds (literally) of homeless people sleeping and hanging around. Also lots of young men, and I saw a fight that made me run all the way back to the hotel. There seems to not be much in the way of services for them around. While I enjoyed myself at the hotel, I would not stay again in this area unless I had to for an occassion or event. It's lovely in the hotel, but really only if you stay in the hotel and on that one pedestrian mall (about 3 blocks long), and only on the mall during daylight.

Romantic hotel fails to be special

by TripAdvisor Member Castelet

Spent one night here on business and loved the extraordinary and romantic building. This could be a fabulous retreat from LA for a romantic weekend, but it really needs to pay more attention to a number of things.
Our room was large, with a king sized bed and table and a small desk and we were provided with bathrobes and good products in the bathroom. However we turned down the bed cover - a not very attractive brown nylon affair, and not in keeping with the hacienda decor - to find three large stains on the top sheet and like all three sheets on the bed, it was extremely wrinkled. The hotel obviously doesn't look after it's sheets - this one should have been thrown out long ago.
The sheet on top of the cheap blanket was particularly creased, leading us to believe that it may not have been changed. Even if it was fresh, it looked unpleasant. The pillows were fairly lumpy soft foam and there were only two (small ones) on the bed. We found one more in the closet but it was uncomfortable trying to sit propped up on the bed. Many hotels now have soft lightweight down duvets and feather pillows, and all hotels should always provide four pillows for a king, queen or double bed.
There is no coffee maker in the room and our room service request for cheese and biscuits took 40 minutes to arrive.
Our room looked over a car park at the back and into the hotel courtyard at the front. The noise of the trains in the early morning woke me up - double glazing would help.
The bathroom contained an old dirty white scales with our room number handwritten with a black felt tip pen on the front. How chic! Hotel tip:Throw this out immediately along with the sheet....yuk! There were plenty of fresh white towels but I wasn't too keen on the two pubic hairs in the bathtub. There were also some marks on the bathroom door. The rest of the room was clean and pleasant.
We would like to have enjoyed a cool sunny breakfast in the courtyard but were told that this was closed. This doesn't seem to make sense when, in a hot climate, this is the most pleasant time of the day. The dining room is very echoey and not very romantic. We had dinner in the courtyard, which is delightful. The food was fine but not gourmet standard. The ambience was fabulous: the courtyard at night is a charming hacienda style setting full of trees and twinkling lights to set off a beautiful building.
This hotel could be fabulous but the service really needs an upgrade. When we told the girl on our checkout about our sheets she seemed extremely uninterested and did not proffer an apology...just 'Oh I'll look into it.' I doubt she bothered...

Intresting --- but, most likely, haunted

This place was interesting w/ an ambiance of the old world. The room (2 queen beds) was adequate but very dark; even w/ all the lamps on (very low wattage bulbs), it was STILL quite dark. Our one night stay included Thanksgiving dinner downstairs in the dining room, which was nothing great, yet marginally acceptable. When we got home & downloaded our photos, there were "orbs" in almost all of them, plus lighted white "streaks" in many. (The streaks were most unusual.) I've since done some research on the place & found nothing on the Mission Inn's haunted nature -- yet, we were certainly not "alone" in our room (so many orbs) -- or especially down in the lobby (jagged white, bright streaks everywhere.) While there, I could "feel" the energies but of course, could not confirm paranormal likelihood till we got home & downloaded those photos. Don't think I will retutrn to this place, although a one-time visit is worth it -- just to explore all the nooks a crannies of the Inn & perhaps "see" abnormal energies in your downloaded pictures.

Where's the service?

by TripAdvisor Member SagTrav

We have stayed at the Mission Inn many times in the past few years and have always loved the ambiance, the festive holiday lights and the service. This time there were some annoying problems. One: the soundproofing between rooms was terrible. We could hear the radio, coughing, phone ringing, etc. from the next door room. The Inn itself also contributed to noise pollution by blasting "holiday" music onto the property right outside our window. We had to call to complain. Eventually they turned it off. The worst offense was that when I went down to secure a table for breakfast at a little before 10 am on Saturday, I was told by the hostess that she was "not taking any more reservations" for breakfast, even though clearly breakfast was stated to be from 6 am to 10:30. The dining room and patio were almost empty of diners, but she said they had to set up for several large parties. I said that I was a guest in the hotel, it wasn't yet 10:30 and I expected breakfast. Finally, they reluctantly seated us on the patio. We were about the only ones there and were finished way before the lunch crowd started to arrive. I felt that the Inn cared more about large parties from outside than about their own hotel guests. I would think twice about staying there again, but there is really nothing else comparable in Riverside.

Wonderful Interesting Hotel - Magical at Christmas

by TripAdvisor Member mini

The Mission Inn in Redlands surpassed our expectations. Our room was very nice - large king size bed; large couch and sitting area; another place for the desk; and another table for dining/playing cards. The bathroom had nice amenities - standard size shower - but overall the room was nice. The sitting area outside the Inn was nice - nice to enjoy the sunshine. We enjoyed the tour of the Mission Inn and found it a fabulously interesting place to visit ....the chapel; the courtyards; the hallways; the interesting displays. Furthermore we were there for Christmas and opening night....complete with carolers, fireworks, and live orchestra. The restaurants were good. We enjoyed lunch in the Mexican restaurant (Note: Their margaritas are super sized....so take note. We ended up taking a siesta (nap) after our lunch there. We also enjoyed their steakhouse....Their Christmas decorations were so wonderful. I mentioned "I can't believe its already Christmas....its so enchanting." The people at the table next to me corrected me - Its 4 more weeks till Christmas Day...but we too think this place is absolutely magical at Christmas. There is a large swimming pool there - great place to relax and enjoy the sun. Also, we ordered room service (large portions...almost too large...so take note when you order.) It was also interesting to note how much history with American Presidents there is at the Mission Inn. I would definitely recommend Mission Inn during the Holidays to be a MUST See - and delightful to stay at. Good service; fun; and quite enjoyable.

Stay somewhere else

by TripAdvisor Member kmorehouse

We booked here because there is not much else in downtown Riverside and it is a landmark. Our room -- and we ordered an upgrade -- was average. Large, but poorly appointed and worn carpet. We had to arrive late and I felt like the room had been dumped on us. There was no private outside space and our windows had to be curtained at all times to maintain privacy.

We did hear the train, but I considered that a plus.

The check in person asked for a picture I.D. I found that amazing since the hotel had our name, address, phone number and credit card number from booking on line. This is the first time anyone has asked us for an I.D. when using a credit card at a hotel.

The building itself is facinating and the Mexican restaurant is good. Stay somewhere else, eat here and wander the hallways for free.

More like a La Qunita

by TripAdvisor Member RedSpyder

I booked through Hotwire where they had this rated 3-1/2 stars. I couldn't agree less nor can I agree with it being described as a boutique hotel... this is not more of a boutique than La Qunita is. The Queen beds (in two separate rooms) we so-so with low quality linens and pillows. I had a table like you would see behind a couch or in a hallway for a desk and no nightstand near my bed (there was a nightstand in the other room but no desk). I heard water flow all night as people flushed the toilets above me. The room was dark and poorly decorated.

When I checked in they didn't have my reservation (through Hotwire). They tried to get me to pay again to avoid trouble. All in all the checkin took thirty minutes with not even a hint of being apologetic - the clerk was more irritated than anything else at having to go through so much trouble. I would have dimsissed it as a fluke except they lost the reservation to the man checking in next to me too.

This is a nice historical site that's a subpar three star hotel at best.

Very nice

by TripAdvisor Member jaybrad

This is a beautiful inn and lovely place to stay. The rooms were a bit noisier that I would have liked, but there was so much else about this inn that is simply delightful.

This is also one of the few places I have stayed where the restaurants were really quite good. Duane's is superb, with an excellent wine selection - and the other restaurants are equally fine.

Just sitting in the lobby or one of the courtyards, one cannot help but admire the architecture. The front desk staff were polite, professional, and friendly.

I can easily recommend this inn to others looking for a place to stay that has class and character.

Beware the Trains!

by TripAdvisor Member Veronicah

I've been to the Mission Inn many, many times — mostly as a dinner guest. I love the hotel's historic nature and all the interesting nooks, crannys and treasures. The spa, Kelly's, is also lovely with many nice treatments.

However, to stay overnight as a guest, which we've done twice, is less than satisfactory. The rooms are indeed quite aged and are in desperate need of updating. Old dusty stuff you might find at your 90-year-old grandma's house. I understand their effort to keep things looking historic, but the beds aren't that comfortable and the spreads are dingy.

The worst part about staying overnight are those trains!!! I almost think the drivers are taunting guests with the way they blast those horns continuously every 15 minutes. We live an hour away, and I almost made my husband drive us home around 2 a.m. because it was driving me absolutely insane. We had the front desk move us to another room around 2 a.m., but the noise was just as bad. If you aren't a heavy sleeper, you won't be getting a wink of sleep in this place.

And I agree about the spooky stuff in photos— I had quite a few weird orbs and flashes of light in some of my photos which I couldn't explain. And I'm a semi-pro photographer who can explain most camera irregularities.

The mexican restaurant is stellar — get a spot by the firepit and enjoy the HUGE margaritas. Duane's is also excellent, as is the outdoor patio of the Mission Inn Restaurant. Simply beautiful. In short, I recommend this spot as a place to dine or get a spa treatment, not to spend the night.

As a last note, don't miss the historic tour of the building and grounds — it's quite interesting!

Comments