1209 L Street, Sacramento, California, 95814, United States

Expedia.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 73% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• ognini's Profile Photo

Happy at the Hyatt

Wonderful hotel situated directly across street (northside) of the Capitol Building. The rooms are tastefully decorated and roomy with very comfortable beds. My room had a view of the Capitol's park and hotel's pool.

Unique Quality: Beautifully manicured lawns and foliage. Excellent customer service and great hospitality!

• Rixie's Profile Photo

Good Location, Odd Building

This is a huge, elegant hotel (over 500 rooms) and thus not the kind of place I would normally elect to stay, but I found a good room rate on Travelocity: $94 for a room with a king-sized bed, double occupancy. I decided to give it a try.

When we were waiting to check in, we found that a large medical convention was in-house. The desk clerk was telling the couple ahead of us that there were no more king-bedded rooms available. They were not happy about this, but I remained smug -- Hey, I'd been smart and reserved mine ahead of time!

However, my smugness dissolved quickly when I opened the door to our room. There were two double beds. I phoned the front desk and said, "I think there's been a mistake. I reserved a king bed." The woman at the front desk said, "I'm sorry. The hotel only reserves a room. The type of bed is just a request." What???

I don't know if this is a Hyatt problem or a Travelocity problem, but there should be some kind of a disclaimer somewhere. I had a printed confirmation from Travelocity for a king-sized bed, and I suspect the people ahead of me at the front desk did, too.

The building is laid out oddly. The hotel garage has a separate elevator. Say, for example, that you have a room on the 4th floor. You park your car, logically enough, on the 4th floor of the parking garage and expect that there will be a connection to the hotel. Wrong. You have to take the garage elevator down to the 2nd floor, enter the hotel, walk down a corridor and around a corner, and find the hotel elevator. You then take that elevator back up to the 4th floor. Very confusing.

The room itself, aside from the bed situation, was quite nice and still a bargain for the price. I don't know that I'd personally ever stay there again, but it would probably be a good place for a convention goer or a lobbyist. Just confirm the type of room before your arrival!

Unique Quality: The hotel is in a primo location. You can walk to the State Capitol, the Convention Center, historic St. Paul's Episcopal Church, and the IMAX theater.

There's a fascinating topiary hedge around part of the hotel. The bushes are cut into the shape of paperdoll families, complete with dog.

More about Hyatt Regency Sacramento

Loved The Bed!!!

by TripAdvisor Member 913jvt

My husband and I were in town to attend an awards ceremony at the capital. We had driven up from Indio,CA, an 8 hour drive. I was tired, sore, and achey, as I have arthritis in my hips & knees, ans 2 herniated discs in my back. I'm mentioned all this because I usually have a terrible time sleeping in hotel beds, which is why I don't travel as much as I would like.

However, the bed in room 965 is the best hotel bed I have ever slept in. The mattress supported my back without being too firm, the pillows cradled my neck & shoulders. We didn't get to bed until after midnight & we were up at 6am. We both felt rested & refreshed.

Also enjoyed breakfast at the Vines restaurant in the lobby. The prices were high, but the food was great & the service excellent.

If you need a good night's sleep & don't mind paying a little bit more, stay at the Hyatt.

Disappointing!!

by TripAdvisor Member Goneagain

This lovely boutique style hotel across from the State Capitol has always been a favorite of
ours. We have stayed here numerous times!! So when I found a great weekend rate on Trip Advisor we were thrilled to make a return visit. BUT what a disappointment!! The rooms have been redecorated from warm and upscale to stark and impersonal. Gray green textured wallpaper, dark carpeting, couch and chair...and an all whilte hospital looking bed (as opposed to the traveller's photo with the green shams). The toiletries were minimalist, the glass coffee pot was missing in the coffee maker, kleenex empty, one piece of paper was left in the Hyatt note pad and there was a sign that we could use the refrigerator for $10. a day!! All this from a Hyatt Regency!!??
Most disturbing was that our "Non-smoking" room reeked of smoke with an attempted disguise of overly sweet room spray!!! My sore throat and a nightshirt that smelled of smoke/room freshener when I unpacked at home confirmed this fact. There was no sign on the door or in our room identifying it as non-smoking. Do you think they just removed the ash trays and sprayed away?? The airconditioner was very noisey but with the summer Sacramento heat we were glad to have it. It also masked the loud music and bass coming from the party downstairs which lasted til mid-night. Hate to sound negative but, sadly, this was our rather disappointing experience.....

Terrible experience

by TripAdvisor Member markbs

From start to finish a bad experience. No one available to help with
luggage and no cart offerred to do it yourself. Had prepayed for a double
room from the Hyatt web site, then told that this did not guarantee me a
double room (this was not on the printed confirmation I had from the hotel)
I asked to speak to the manager to discuss it and was told "he was too busy".
It took room service an hour for a breakfast smoothie and child waffle in the
am. I felt that I had inconvenienced staff with
my staying at the hotel.

Mixed review for a hot summer night

by TripAdvisor Member denisezucc

I booked our room at Hyatt.com because I received 1500 miles from United as well as a AAA rate with free breakfast. We stayed on the 10th floor in a Regency room king. I asked about my Hyatt passport number, but the girl at the front desk said it wasn't listed, but I could give her the information any time. When we arrived at our room(non-smoking), it was full of cigarette smoke. There was even a machine to try to clear the air of the smoke, but either it hadn't done its job or it needed to be there a lot longer. There was a sign that said there was a $250 cleaning charge if there was a smoke smell in the room. I called the front desk and they moved us across the hall from 1004 to 1001. The room had a different(better) layout, but there were differences. The first room looked out on the beautiful park across the street and the new room looked out on the rooftop parking. The first room had 2 bathrobes in the closet and mints on the bed, the second room had 1 bathrobe and no mints. When the new keys were brought to us for the new room, they hadn't been activated to get in and out privilege in the parking garage, so that was a hassle. We just collected new tickets when we came through after dinner.
We went to the Regency Room for cocktails about 5:30. The girl working the room, Denise, was wonderful. She was so pleasant and did well with the unruly kids that were there. We had drinks and appetizers for $14, so that was nice since it was next to our room. We ate dinner at Paragary's, a 5 or 6 minute drive from the hotel. Parking was free in the street, a cab would have been a $20 dollar minimum round trip, so it was worth it to take the car. The food was great and so was the service. We were going to eat outside on the patio, but it was just too hot!
We had mints on the bed when we returned, even though we did not request turn down service. That was nice since we didn't have dessert after dinner. The only complaint about the room is that it is right next door to the employee service area, so you do get noise from the door opening and closing, a lot, and lots of banging sounds...We started hearing it early when the staff was preparing for the continental breakfast.
We were not given our coupon for the free breakfast at checkin, so my husband had to get it later. He was specifically told to go before 9am and that we could not have the buffet, but when we sat down to eat, the waittress told us it was only for the buffet. It was a good choice, the fresh fruit was to die for. The eggs were typical institutional eggs and my husband said the waffles were very hard, but overall, I would give it an 8 out of 10 based on the rest of the choices.
Our bill was under the door when we woke up and it was wrong. We were charged $24 for valet parking instead of $16 for self parking. I called the front desk to get that changed and to give my passport number. The corrected bill was there in minutes, again, under the door so that we were not disturbed.
The bed was wonderful and the shower very refreshing. The air conditioning was great considering it was 108 degrees outside, so no complaints there. Our room rate was $138 with breakfast, so compared to many other places around town, it was a steal. But being a Hyatt, we wouldn't expect so many little issues in a one night stay. Overall, we were happy, because we got a good night sleep, which is why we stay there every time we're in town. The staff just needs to sharpen the details. I didn't complain about any of the small issues, but added up, it did make for a less than perfect stay.
We will stay there again, on our next visit, but if we still have lots of little issues, we will bring them the the management's attention. There are too many other choices for places to stay.

Very Disappointing!

by TripAdvisor Member Itinernaut

If you are a nomadic traveller like myself, don't bother booking your stay online because you won't be able to cancel your reservation. The hotel is very dated and there is a musty, old hotel smell that is less than pleasant. The hotel pool was very dirty to the point you couldn't see the bottom. The rooms range from $220-$300 depending on when you stay and that is insanely overpriced for what you get. The hotel doesn't have a washer and dryer available for guests. However, the beds are nice and so are the bathrooms, but I'd spend my money anywhere else.

More Pluses than Minuses...

by TripAdvisor Member SausalitoKiwis

We just returned from attending a conference at the Hyatt that required a three night stay. This was our first stay at this hotel and we found it enjoyable in many ways. First, we were lucky in missing the horrible heat wave of the previous week so we were able to enjoy the outside areas of the hotel – pool, hot tub, outside dining patios. This area had fine water misters that did an excellent job of keeping one cool while poolside. The hotel is nicely located - across the street from the Capitol Building and the lovely park that surrounds it. The cooler nights allowed you to take walks around the park and really enjoy the beautiful “Heirloom Trees” that populate the park. What a treat!
We stayed in a king, non-smoking room on the 14th floor, overlooking the park and the Capitol Building. The nice weather allowed us to open the balcony door at night (and that automatically turns off the rather noisy air conditioner). Although there was street noise, it seemed nicer than the drone of the AC unit. So here are some observations after four days and three nights:
PLUSES:
1. nice central location – Capitol on one side, Convention Center on another, IMAX Theater next door
2. comfortable bed
3. better than average size room/bathroom
4. plenty of large, thirsty towels
5. quiet, never heard our neighbors, only an occasional door closing
6. room was nicely cleaned/re-stocked every day
7. attentive, cheerful staff on ALL occasions – valet parking, check-in and check-out, meal service with the conference and on our own, wake-up calls, information, concierge questions, etc.
8. food was above average at all meals

MINUSES:
1. Sheets need to be of better quality. Bottom sheet was short at the end of the bed and it didn’t stay tucked under the mattress. No one likes a messy bottom sheet.
2. Average showerhead – would have preferred a more modern showerhead.
3. Silly room refrigerator that automatically charged if you moved the drink or food items so look but don’t touch!
4. Want to charge you $10 a day for Wi-Fi – yikes

All in all, a very enjoyable four days!

Rude service

by TripAdvisor Member beckry

I reserved this hotel on line and when I arrived I was given another room that did not meet my reservation that I printed out. I was told that I could not count on getting the room that I asked for because they had a lot of buisness travelers. the woman at the front desk did not give me the time of day and when i expressed my concern, she very rudely stated, "Haven't you ever stayed at the Hyatt before?". I blew her off, paid the overpriced amount, and enjoyed the room I got.

Comments