Ramada Limited Discovery Park

350 Bercut Drive, (formerly Days Inn), Sacramento, California, 95814, United States

More about Sacramento

2nd Street at J, Old Sacramento2nd Street at J, Old Sacramento

Jack's Urban Eats, Midtown SactoJack's Urban Eats, Midtown Sacto

ChinatownChinatown

Civil War artilleryCivil War artillery

Driving Sacramento Airport to Groveland?

by reflex99

Hi Folks,

I'm from Australia and this trip to the USA will be the first time I have driven on the "wrong side" of the road (yes I know!!)

How hard will it be to drive from Sacramento Airport to get on the main road to Groveland (near Yosemite).

Then I have to come back from Groveland and get to Davis -

Are these routes likely to be well marked - any big surprise turns etc? I am going to be working hard to keep concentrating ("keep right, keep right")

Thanks for your help

DD

RE: Driving Sacramento Airport to Groveland?

by Hopkid

Do you already have directions from the airport to Groveland? If not, use www.mapquest.com. After you exit US 50 the roads are much smaller but my experience driving in California is that they are well-marked. Just have an idea how far you'll need to go until the next transition so you'll know when to keep a sharper eye out for the signs. Also, there are lots of small towns so it will be easy to tell if you've gone past the turn off based on the map.

As for driving on the "wrong side" of the road, I can only speak of my driving experience in Ireland. I tended to stay well to the left when driving on the left. I don't think you notice this while you're driving but you certainly do when you're a passenger. So you might expect to be driving more towards the right while in the U.S. I expect you'll have an automatic transmission so that will be one less thing to worry about (i.e., not having to deal with shifting with your other hand).

I hope that helps. Good luck! It's a beautiful area that you'll be driving in.

RE: RE: Driving Sacramento Airport to Groveland?

by Jeannette1

Here are the directions from the Sacramento airport to Groveland. You may want to visit Sacramento as well. Check out my Sacramento page to see if anything is of interest to you.
Have a great trip.
Jeannette

RE: RE: Driving Sacramento Airport to Groveland?

by reflex99

Thanks for that - great advice! The Mapquest site was one I didn't know about. Looking forward to the visit.

regards,
DD

RE: Driving Sacramento Airport to Groveland?

by jwpotter

Hi,

To be more precise about your question...Yes, the roads are very well marked. From the airport you will get on I5 toward Sacramento, then in Sacramento take Hyw 99. That will take you toward Stockton, and there will be a sign to turn off for Yosemite. You will follow the road and can't miss Groveland! Really, you only need to make about 3 road changes, from 5 to 99, and then 99 to 120.

Plan about 4 hours. Once I went out for coffee in the morning on my day off and thought how nice it would be to have lunch in the Awanhee in Yosemite, so I drove past the coffee shop and went to Yosemite for Lunch. My wife was rather surprised when she called me on my cell phone to ask where I was...LOL

Likewise, getting back to Davis, you will just reverse your route, but when you come to Sacramento on 99, you will follow the signs for San Francisco. That will take you right to Davis, about 20 minutes or less, probably about the same distance as the Sacramento Airport.

My wife and I are leaving for Austrailia on August 2. First we go to Cairns and then Sydney. We are hoping for nice weather there, escaping the hot weather here in August.

Happy Travels...Jim

Travel Tips for Sacramento

The Sacramento River

by Geoff_Wright

I assume that these Riverboats are used for river trips, but there was little activity whilst I was visiting. The river looked delightful too!

I was reminded of these Riverboats quite recently when I watched the film 'How The West Was Won', for the umpteenth time, LOL!

Each of my parents: time ,more money, & addiction!

by josephljtwrk

My mother started off from college with a lifetime teaching credential! My Dad with a small officer indictment. What is all this Unworldliness about. Awesome people!. The shifting people often overcared for and unconvinceable, think of this Here. Where is the piety! Here is just me. Why! Because she is overly addicted to heself and under convinced of her and his unwarrented, selfish doctrine. I caught on, but thought she would tell the whole story and not just the part she would hear. Can I give you any answers, not yet. But by the time its all up I hope we'll have it all good. Test me! Please, cause she never wanted me to know what she thought was as a kid or a conceited baby! Not unusual! Ask for examples. She liked Michael Eric Dyson cause she thought she could consider me bright, but not mom. She bought me an advance without an reputation and or credit slip. I used to think my good looks to improve but they have been even challenged to the impoveresed to the impoverer. Thank you mom and Daddy! I know after its all over with I should have something to be prouder. And thanks And Love for real.

Clean Atmosphere

by LionPrincess about Zinfandel Grille

I have been to two of the three Zinfandel locations. The first one I went to was at a hotel in Rocklin, CA on my first night in town. The atmosphere was great but the food came out cold. I made a point of taking a trip to the line where I was able to talk to the cooks. They all seemed to enjoy their jobs and told me of the pressures of working with their three man line. I told them that the food was quite tasty but came out cold, they seemed to appreciate the compliment and information and we parted ways as new friends.
My second trip to this restaurant was at the end of my internship and we were looking at the outdoor seating which featured a great fireplace, waterfalls and shade trees. We went inside and enjoyed lunch and a nice bottle of wine. The bar at this location had a really great bench seat tucked in the corner which offered a view of the entire room with great privacy.

My third trip to this restaurant was back at the first location for my going away dinner. My family played a trick by having many of the staff presenting me with gifts throughout the night. The night was one I would remember for a long time, but the staff made it that much better. My first trip I had the Grilled Salmon and Roasted Vegetables. I also had the Calamari appetizer. While the food had great flavor it was served quite cold.

My second trip to the restaurant I had the Dungeness Crab Lasagne with mushrooms and leeks. This lasagne has to be one of my favorites (sorry mom) The combination of flavors was expertly paired and the crispy cheese on top finished it off just right.

My third trip to this restaurant our group shared the Crab Cakes, Calamari and Portabella Bruschetta to start and finished off with their apple cake, cheesecake and chocolate cake for dessert. The food on this trip was quite good. Proportions are good and the dessert option we chose gave us a sellection of three of their desserts for a discounted price, which I liked for a group setting.

My favorite Thai restaurant in Sacramento

by Jeannette1 about Thai Phu-Ket

This is my favorite Thai restaurant in Sacramento. It's actually in Carmichael, a northeast suburb of Sacramento.
the restaurant opened in June 2007 and is owned by 2 immigrants from Thailand.
The food is amazing and relatively inexpensive ....only $6.95 for lunch which also includes a salad.

The decor is very pleasant...a fresh red rose on each table and the waitresses are dressed in pink or green traditional Thai costumes.

This restaurant serves authentic Thai food at a very reasonable price, in a beautiful decor. Try it out, you won't be disappointed. The owner/chef's name is Nai (Nye). I've ordered the traditional Pad-Thai dish which was excellent.

Another dish called Pad-Ma-Kur (ground chicken, prawns and eggplant sauteed in spicy garlic and yellow bean sauce with basil) was my FAVORITE.

For dessert, I tried rum banana and also fried banana ice cream...both wonderful desserts.

State Capitol

by sunnywong

The dome of the state capitol stands proudly in a spacious green park two blocks south of K Street Mall. Recently restored to its original elegance, and still the seat of state government, the luxurious building brims over with finely crafted details. Although you’re free to walk around, you’ll see a lot more if you take one of the free hourly tours (daily 9am–5pm).

Comments