Balboa Park Inn

3402 Park Blvd., San Diego, California, 92103, United States

• THE Inn to stay at if you're going to the Zoo

Balboa Park Inn is technically close enough to the San Diego Zoo to walk there. (However, since parking is free, we went ahead and drove.) We were in the Aruba room, which had a jacuzzi tub. Very clean, very neat little place. I believe all the rooms are decorated differently. I was worried when they said breakfast was delivered to your room, as I though it would be sad little donuts, but to my delight, our pastries were quite good (the other option was cereal, which didn't seem that appetizing). Each morning we received two pieces of coffeee cake, two mini-croissants, two mini-muffins, and two pieces of breakfast bread, along with orange juice and milk. Parking is free, but it's on the street, and there were a few times when we had to walk a bit to get back.

Unique Quality: There is a great deck on the roof of one of the outbuildings. We didn't have a chance to use it, but there were lots of chairs and tables to just lounge and chat with companions. Very picturesque.

Directions: Just north of the San Diego Zoo on Park Blvd.

More about Balboa Park Inn

Great alternative to a hotel

by TripAdvisor Member jkenib

Our family of 4 (2A, 1 teen, 1 pre-teen) began a 2 week tour of CA at this lovely inn. We stayed in a room entitled "Emma's Diary", which was decorated in an old-fashioned style. It was perfect for our small family. This small apt. consisted of a queen bedroom with a t.v., full bathroom, kitchen/eating area with a stove, fridge, sink & cabinets, and a double bed in an alcove off of the eating area. This, too, had a t.v. Our back door led to a lovely set of patios, where you could choose to have breakfast delivered each morning. The continental breakfast is one of the best we've seen: fresh fruit salad, lots of orange juice, croissants,muffins and coffee. The inn is not downtown, but in a neighborhood, which we enjoyed. The world-famous zoo and Balboa Park are within walking distance, and the bus stop is right on the corner. We found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and they will even do your laundry for a small fee. On-street parking is available.

Wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member Kittygal

I had wanted to stay here for years---and finally, a business trip to San Diego allowed me to enjoy its ambience. It is a great spot---right across from Balboa Park, in Hillcrest...close enough to downtown, but not right there. I stayed in "Aruba", which was off the patio and had tropical accents everywhere, including wonderful froggie decor in the bath---and a jacuzzi tub. As a woman travelling alone, I felt perfectly safe at the Inn---something that is important. Parking, on the street, is also safe---which is also a plus.

I cannot say enough about the staff, especially the housekeepers, who, I was told, have worked there for many years. They took such good care of me, my room was immaculate, and if I had to leave early, they made sure breakfast was delivered the night before and put in the fridge, which I appreciated, and the fruit, juice and pastries were a fine early morning respite. The front desk staff was cheerful, helpful and loved to chat about San Diego---something you may not see in a large hotel. I will be back!

Balboa Park Inn: Quirky and Pleasant

We stayed at Balboa Park Inn for three days prior to moving to another more expensive (chain) hotel for a conference. We much preferred The Inn. The Inn is a quirky, pleasant surprise. We had the Aruba Room, which has a small bed chamber and a large bathroom! The decor didn't really seem very Carribean, but it was certainly attractive and pleasant. The Jacuzzi tub was wonderful after a long day at the Zoo. The Zoo is a short walk away, and Hillcrest shops and restaurants were a very brief drive away. The courtyard was a lovely spot to enjoy the breakfast which was delivered to our room shortly after we called each morning. The paper was outside the door early each day as well. Front desk was helpful and friendly, and housekeeping was great. Highly Recommend.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member elpasoan

We stayed at the Inn for two nights prior to catching a cruise out of San DIego. It was fantastic. After the management saw the amount of luggage we had, he upgraded us to a larger room. We didn't even ask! The location is great. Spent a wonderful day at the Zoo.

A sweet, little Inn

by TripAdvisor Member jmeezie

We really loved the "Jungle Nook". It was truly a nook, as it was quite small, however, that only increased the romance factor. The shower and jacuzzi tub were awesome and completely worth the price. It was truly a room for lovers! Be warned- the breakfast is not really anything at all, so if you have low blood sugar issues, you may want to know that you will most likely have to make other breakfast arrangements. We were given the choice of cereal or pastries (tiny muffins) and juice, coffee, and canned fruit. But staying in the jungle nook was totally worth it.

Only Place to Stay in San Diego!

I travel for a living and have stayed at all the upper level chain hotels but once I found the Balboa Park Inn...no place else in San Diego will do. I stayed in two different rooms, both of which were fantastic! What a unique concept having these wonderful theme rooms rather than the same old drab hotel rooms I'm used to. the breakfast was a great touch and delivered on request. The morning paper was ready when I was (early) and the front desk crew was a highlight! They helped me park, took care of my luggage (not an easy task...), and spent the better part of an hour telling me what was going on in San Diego during my stay. What a wonderful management team! The location can't be beat. Right outside the zoo gates and just a short stroll from the Hillcrest area. I love this place. Do yourself a favor and experience this Inn.

Unique and it works!

The Inn was very well sitatuated in a nice quite area just across from Balboa Park. It was well run with some good additional features like the patio deck which all vistors could use.

It is a short walk from several good restaurants and bars in the Hillcrest district.

Loved the suite!

by TripAdvisor Member ATRock

We had originally booked for a room but upon arriving the room had an unpleasant odor. We were immediately upgraded to a suite for no extra charge. It was the largest suite I've ever stayed in. The rooms were immaculate and very comfortable. The location of the inn is very convenient and I would highly recommend this inn to anyone who loves Balboa Park and San Diego.

loved this hotel--one of my faves EVER

by TripAdvisor Member badcatholicgirl

This was one of my favorite hotels, EVER. It's a bed and breakfast with history, but it's not cloying or intrusive.

The neighborhood is gay- and urban/hipster-friendly, and the hotel is located close enough to the park to walk to the zoo or take a run in the morning.

What I remember most of all is the brilliant decor in our rooms (we stayed several nights in two different rooms there). Pretty darned over the top, in a nice way.

Comments