Bankers Hill Manor

2947 First Avenue, San Diego, California, 92103, United States

More about Bankers Hill Manor

Home Away From Home

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Bankers Hill Manor for 8 nights. We had a wonderful time. The B&B is centrally located with quick access to everything we wanted to do in San Diego. It was also very well located to allow us to walk to many delightful restaurants in the Hillcrest area (including a great dessert-only restaurant). The owners, Tim and Brian, were very friendly and gave us many great recommendations for things to do and places to eat. We must repeat what everyone has said...the breakfasts were wonderful. We will definitely stay with Brian and Tim again.

Can't wait to go back!

by TripAdvisor Member mapgal

It was wonderful. We stayed here 3 nights of our honeymoon and had a great time. We were in the Africa Suite which is amazing. A private sun deck, tub for two, big comfy bed and great view. We had turndown service with a chocolate on our pillow, they offered us wine & beer every evening and the breakfasts were awesome. We walked to the area where all the restaurants are, about 15 minutes and finding from the airport was a breeze. I highly recommend staying here, you won't be disappointed!

Beautiful...

I don't even know where to start. Brian and Tim's standards are of the highest quality. The environment they created was a mix of class and home. The breakfasts they served would top some of the best restaurants and mom's cooking. You can see the love and personal touches everywhere throughout your stay. Coming home to cookies by the door was one of my favorites. I am personally greatful to have had the opportunity to stay there. Next time I hope to stay longer and maybe bribe them into handing down some of those recipes :P Nese & Steve

Excellent service in a beautiful get-away!

by TripAdvisor Member locamegabite

My husband and I chose to stay at the Bankers Hill Manor the last two days of our conference trip and escape the cold atmosphere and high prices of downtown San Diego. What a difference our move made! Our hosts made us feel so welcome and offered us some down time on the deck with some Merlot after a long day on our feet. Their accomodations were superb and the breakfasts were each a delightful creation. We felt so pampered by the food, the company and the views of their gardens and interior designs. We most definately will skip the hotel if we ever go back to San Diego!

Home away from home in San Diego

by TripAdvisor Member T-Hooks

We stayed at Bankers Hill Manor during July 2006 in the Africa Suite. The Manor itself was beautiful - well decorated and maintained. It provides a tremendous amount of privacy, while still giving the feel of being in a nice B&B setting with it's numerous gathering areas. The Africa suite was very large, with an oversized tub, separate shower and sun-porch - much more room than you would get in typical hotel room (plus it was nicer than most AND less expensive)!! Bryan and Tim were wonderful hosts - always there when you needed them, but out the way when you didn't. They provided outstanding dinner suggestions for local restaurants and provided us great direction around San Diego for our visit. And those wonderful breakfasts!! What a great way to start each day! I would highly recommend Bankers Hill if you are staying in San Diego!!

The Relaxing Bankers Hill Manor

by TripAdvisor Member johbar

Staying at Bankers Hills Manor in San Diego was one of the hightlights of our trip. From the relaxed and tranquil settings both inside and outside the house, it was a treat. The home is spacious with large bedrooms and baths, and ours even had a side porch where we would have our first morning cup of coffee. We expecially loved the gourmet breakfasts served every morning before we headed out on our day of playing tourist. There wasn't anything our hosts wouldn't help us with, from directions to dinner suggestions. We enjoyed staying with Tim, Brian and their dog Broudy. I would encourage anyone staying in San Diego to sample what this wonderful retreat has to offer.

Excellent Property, Fantastic Hosts

by TripAdvisor Member Mike/Mel

Lucky us! A cancellation allowed us to secure a room in Brian & Tim's spectacular B&B for a last-minute weekend getaway from hot Kansas City. We were immediately impressed. This is not your typical B&B (i.e. not Victorian & no frilly lace doilies). The architecture is Craftsman in style, and the interior design/decor matches the uniqueness of the home. While the home is quite large, the guest room area on the second floor is home-like cozy with 3 rooms in total. In this area, guests have access to a common balcony overlooking a beautifully landscaped yard/garden, free water and soft drinks in the fridge, free internet access, and a comfortable leather sofa group sitting area. From our room, Serenity, one has great views of the bay, Point Loma, and the ocean beyond (the B&B sits on a hill). What decorating, and so clean and neat! You'll enjoy chocolates on your pillow, nightly turndown service, and fluffy robes and slippers. Talk about quiet! The home is solid...not sure I've slept more peacefully anywhere. Even though the airport is just a few minutes away, no airport noise is to be heard. In fact, everything is just a few minutes away. Then, there's breakfast...gourmet and excellent. You will more than likely need to skip lunch altogether after eating one of Brian's morning specialties (Eggs Benedict, frittatas, waffles, etc.). The coffee served is Starbuck's - a huge benefit for coffee lovers. One early evening, we were lucky enough to spend some time getting to know our hosts a bit over a glass or two of wine on the balcony. These guys are very gracious hosts - always willing to recommend good restaurants, sights, or things to do. I neglected to mention that they have a super friendly dog named Brody. Why stay in an overpriced hotel when you can get so much more here? My expectations were exceeded at every turn. I would recommend this property to anyone and will certainly stay here again on our next visit to San Diego.

excellent place to stay..loved our time at bankershill

by TripAdvisor Member FLO967

It is not by coincidence that Bankers Hill Manor is on First Avenue
in San Diego. It is the First in B&B in our opinion. Brian and Tim
plus their faithful dog named Brody bring the whole vacation/business experience together that keeps asking yourself "Why did the time go so fast?". It is a tough call to go
"out and about" or just sit on that great " front deck" and let time
just do what ever it wants to do without me. Yes the opening breakfast, is there a better word because this is not a breakfast it is an experience that allows strangers to come together in harmony and still meet the objective of food with thougth. I like to walk and get a map and just walk. Diners, bars, and the architecture of the beautiful homes in the area just makes a person want to walk and walk. The Zoo and the Park well go seek the experience. If you are looking to go back in time a bit there is a steak house called The Imperial (like the famous Chrysler Imperial) a few blocks away. Price and quality go hand in hand in a totally relaxed way. Because we were getting together with other people the walkout area on the second floor serves as a very relaxing way to just talk, share a glass, and have absolute privacy when that time is required. Need to check e-mails, copy do stuff it is all there. The other family members used this modern technology but my favorite technology is still the refrigerator to keep all liquids at the proper ready.
In summary Bankers Hill Manor is the summit of our travelling experiences. It is on First Avenue because it is first it is just that simple. And when on vacation and business simple is excellence. Paul & Florence MacArthur, Oshawa, ON Canada.

A Rare Jewel!!

by TripAdvisor Member bostongirl06

My husband and I stayed for 9 nights at this wonderful B&B, based in large part on the reviews posted on Tripadvisor and on what we saw on the Banker's Hill Manor web site.

We can honestly say that our experiences at BHM have set a new standard, which we doubt other B&B's/hotels will be able to reach.

The gracious consideration of the hosts, Tim and Brian, made us feel both welcomed and important. They were very friendly and helpful without ever being overbearing in the least. Brian and Tim were always accessible and ready to answer questions, make recommendations, or simply chat. We enjoyed getting to know them over wine and cheese on a couple of different occasions. They're a treasure!

The breakfasts created by Brian were unequaled. We felt like we were dining in a 5-star restaurant each morning. Even the presentation was exquisite! Fresh fruit every morning was a wonderful precursor to a variety of main dishes such as: rich German pancakes with cinnamon brandied apples, lovely egg dishes, hearty buttermilk waffles....the list goes on and on. (One of our favorite stops was the "Magical Cookie Jar" which was kept filled with Brian's special chocolate chip cookies!)

The cleanliness and decor were outstanding! (We stayed in the Africa Suite, but the attention to detail was obvious throughout the manor.) The landscaping is also beautiful and created a serene, lush environment perfect for relaxing.

The computer provided for guest use was a real help to us as we planned our days or checked on email. The fresh cold water and sodas kept for guests in the guest refrigerator was a thoughtful and useful touch!

Brody , Tim and Brian's very sociable and adorable Gordon Setter, was a treat with his charming nature and good manners.

Location! Location! Location! BHM is located in a wonderful, safe place convenient to everything a traveler would want to see. There is also secure, gated parking for the guests who rent cars for the duration of their stay.

For all of these reasons and many more, we feel we found a real gem in BHM. With the thoughtfully luxurious amenities, gracious hosts, individual attention, culinary masterpieces for breakfast, and tastefully appointed suites, the cost per night could easily be double. (Tim and Brian, if you read this, ignore that last part. We want to come back. :) ) If you are lucky enough to be able to book your stay at BHM, you will find yourself just as spoiled as we were and wondering how you ever settled for less.
Cathy and Mike from Massachusetts

Excellent in every way

by TripAdvisor Member omega

We stayed for three nights at Banker's Hill Manor and loved every minute. The Tropics Suite was spacious, beautifully furnished and spotlessly clean. Brian and Tim were the perfect hosts, they gave helpful advice on sightseeing and restaurants.
The breakfasts were wonderful. Banker's Hill is in an excellent location, handy for downtown, Balboa Park and Gaslamp district. We have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this B&B, it's one of the best we've stayed in.

Aerial view of Coronado BridgeAerial view of Coronado Bridge

at Grauman Chinese Theaterat Grauman Chinese Theater

aroundaround

wowwow

September in San Diego

by fergon

Hi ! I´m heading SD this months and I need a some advices..

1) Which are the Must see places?
2) Where is the best beach to go??? is the weather good in this season?
3) I´ll arrive one day later than the street Scene show..is it enough good to change my flight ticket?

Thanks in advance!!

by lmkluque

Street Scene is a huge two day "block party." Food, drink, live bands and more people than you'd ever want milling around the area. It is a glorious experience for those who love big boisterous parties and a nightmare for those who like the peace from calm and order. There are "21 & Older" areas for those who want to drink alcohol, but the stages are open to all. I would mention that this is an event put on for San Diegans but lots of fun for touists also.

You would have to be the on to say that changing your airline ticket would be worth it.

Must sees in San Diego are too numerous to list. City, County, State and Federal Parks preserve our glorious natural settings near the ocean, mountians and deserts. World class resort communities offer every luxuray. Miles of coastline of any design you can imagine from pristine white sands to unusually shaped cragged masses jetting out are open to all. The Gaslamp Quarter is alive with modern sounds, sociable people and many places to have a great meal or relax at the bar.

There is more, but until we know your interests, it's hard to help.

by Farang27

All the above responses are good. Ranger, I assume by the hotel in Coronado you mean the Hotel Del Coronado, which I agree is a beautiful place and a must-see, but if you're on a budget I would skip the drinks there it's quite pricey. The beach will be up to you. Definitely go, it should still be warm enough, but the water may be too cold for swimming. If you're looking for a party, go to Pacific Beach, to relax go to La Jolla or North County, and if you want to seem some weird stuff go to Ocean Beach.
I'm actually mad that I'm not going top make it to street scene this year since they moved it back downtown. they have moved it a few times. last year they had at coors amphitheater in chula vista. not much of a "street" scene to be honest.i would say check it out if there are any bands you especially want to see, otherwise it's probably not worth it. there are plaenty of other things to do in san diego. the best way to do street scene if you go, unless you are staying downtown, in which case you can just walk there, would be to go to the old town train station and catch the trolley, it's about a 10 minute ride and will be much easier than trying to drive (yourself or in a taxi)in that mess.

by fergon

Thanks A lot for yours advices!!! I´m pretty your that I´ll enjoy SD.

Cheers...