Bay Club Hotel And Marina

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

More about Bay Club Hotel And Marina

Shelter Island

by lmkluque

Shelter Island, a man-made peninsula, was created to house hotels and restaurants for tourists. It is located outside of the downtown area south-west of the airport and just east of Point Loma. All of the hotels and restaurants --except the Bali Hai--are located on the west side of the peninsula with a view of the marina and the natural peninsula we call Point Loma. On the east side of Shelter Island is a strip of land that serves as a park with great views of the Bay of San Diego, it's skyline and for the more active types, boat ramps, fishing pier, walking/jogging paths and picnic spots.

Taxis are the only type of public transportation that comes onto Shelter Island. However, there is a bus stop just outside the entrance of the Island that connects to the SD Trolley.

The photos shown here are of various sights of Shelter Island to give a feel for the look of the place.

The first photo is of the entrance of the Bay Club Hotel & Marina, 2131 Shelter Island Drive, (619) 224 - 8888, Reservations: (800) 672-0800, one of the many hotels located here.

Best Value, Loved the Bay Club

The Bay Club Hotel and Marina was EXCELLENT!

My husband and I traveled down the coast of CA staying in Mendicino, San Francisco, Morro Bay, Nappa, Santa Monica, and San Diego. The Bay Club was the least expensive of all of our stays. Not only was it the least expensive, but the value didn't stop at the hotel rate price. We were able to get free tickets to Sea World, and found out later that we could have gotten them to the Zoo as well. That was like $180 in tickets. There was also a free hot breakfast.

The hotel is older and a little dated, but it is very clean and well kept. I felt safe and comfortable the entire stay.

I enjoyed my stay at the Bay Club and would absolutley stay again if I was in San Diego.

Ok Stay Away from Humphrey's

As a last minute booking, I was pleased to get a room for a family weekend getaway at the Bay Club Hotel. The peace and quiet of staying on a marina really appealed to us. I'm a stresser, so it's very hard for me to relax...so I was really looking forward to staying here. If you want the excitement of a downtown/city experience, either DO NOT stay here, or be sure you have a car. I was happy with the service...we got a shuttle from the train station, our driver was very nice and told us about the different restaurants within walking distance.

The front desk employees were equally nice and attentive. When we called the front desk because our fridge didn't work they had the bellman up within 5 minutes to fix it. We ordered room service for dinner after a long and busy day and the food was superb...hot, fresh, well prepared and let me say the wine and beer glasses were literally filled to the brim. I had no problem with the staff, whom I found very nice and accommodating, and the overall ambience of the hotel was laid-back and relaxed. Our room decor was just a tad on the shabby side....let's just say it was broken in. For the price we paid, I rather expected something a little better with a nicer view (we paid for an executive suite), but I wasn't terribly disappointed. I must say though, if you have a harbor view room, the view of downtown San Diego is spectacular, especially at night.

The walk along the harbor is relaxing...the sailboats are enjoyable to watch...and if you have little kids (like us) there is a park for them to play in. It's a bit of a walk, but our 3-year old had lots of fun once we got there.

The one thing I advise is this: if you are looking for a quiet night...stay in a MARINA room as far from Humphrey's as possible (the hotel next door). Humphrey's has live music from, I believe, 8 p.m. until 2 a.m (this was a Saturday night). And although the front desk called over there when we complained (at 12 a.m.) and the music "calmed down" fairly quickly (we were impressed by that), it did start up again within the hour and lasted til closing at 2 a.m. Then, the party-goers were pretty loud and some even obnoxious (what drunk isn't?) when leaving the hotel (our room faced the Harbor/parking lot/street).

So, I'd say go ahead and book if you really like the marina/harbor lifestyle, but if you're a light sleeper then stay on the "other" side of the hotel as far from Humphrey's as possible!

One Night Stay in February

by TripAdvisor Member Lindsyb

We stayed here for one evening before our return flight out of San Diego after a few days in Palm Springs. For a one night stay at a reasonable rate in close proximity to the airport it was OK.

If we were staying longer I would have requested another room as we were on the first floor right outside the car port/entrance and we kept hearing doors and cars - but for one night it was not worth the hassle of moving.

The room itself, although a little dated, was clean and comfortable. The dining room was excellent and we enjoyed a lovely meal there. We also enjoyed the location and took a walk along the water and the marina.

Needs a makeover

Some of interior has seen its best days.
Staff was ok.
Restaurant was avarage, but the menu was pretty lame.
Pool was ok.
Breakfast was about average
Really nice surroundings, but far from downtown.
I would consider other hotels before booking this one.

Spectacular ..... the only place to stay in San Diego ..... near everything

When I telephoned, I requested a 2nd floor room, facing San Diego. When we checked in, we were assigned Room 273 ..... PERFECT ! The Bar service, the morning breakfasts, and ALL of the Staff ( from check-in to Maid/cleaning service to Breakfast staff ) were great. With SD just 7 short hours from Phoenix, and a hotel 'find' like this one, we'll be back often. I cannot say enough about how relaxing and enjoyable our 5 day/4 night vacation was knowing that each evening, after running around from Oceanside to Tijuana, we would be returning to the Bay Club. The Bay Club offers great dinners, too ..... but also, Humphrey's is right next door, and Brigantine's is right around the corner. As Arnold would say, " we'll be back ! "

Loved the Bay Club

by TripAdvisor Member pennsylvaniamom

Stayed here for 4 nights the week of July 4th.

Great place - We had a suite on the 2nd floor, overlooking the bay. Lots of room, free, plentiful breakfast, which was varied every morning. Very pleasant to eat breakfast overlooking the marina. Used the pool and spa - both very nice. Clean. Wonderful, friendly staff. The furniture is a little dated - Polynesian theme, but we had A LOT of room in our suite, great view - saw the SS. Ronald Reagan come in along with many sailboats from our suite. $5 parking - can't beat that downtown hotels! We are from PA, but if we lived 2-3 hours away, we would drop in for a night or two every so often - a wonderful, quaint, place in a nice community - ONLY 10 minutes from downtown, balboa park, 20mins. to La Jolla....

Shelter Island Getaway

A few words about me. I live in Arizona where it can be 110 degrees in the summer and so us "zonies" go over to San Diego most summers. I've been going since 1976. During that time, I've stayed in most of the tourist hotels available. Lately, I've been ending up at the Bay Club for about the last ten times.
Why the Bay Club? It's on Shelter Island which is near Point Loma and on the Marina side. It sits across from the bay with views of both. It's a 2-story hotel with a small restaurant/bar downstairs that doubles as their breakfast area in the morning. It serves hot egg dishes as well as bages, cereal, etc.
The room itself includes a small refrig and coffee-maker. The morning paper is delivered. The rooms are clean and decent-sized with a nice sitting table and chair set and adequate bathroom. Get the marina view (see photo) and enjoy the luxury boats.
As a bonus, Humphrey's nightclub/restaurant is next door and you can listen to entertainment for free on your balcony on summer weekends. Some famous people sing there.
There's covered, undeground parking and easy access to Mission Beach and the freeways.
Downtown is fifteen minutes away along Harbor Drive.
Would I recommend it? I'm going back in August, 2006, so, of course. Gotta beat the heat!

nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ziton

We were very pleased with our stay. All of the hotels employees from front desk to house keeping were very friendly and helpful. Room looked just like picture shown on hotels web site. Only suggestion would be that they redo grout in shower and sink area so you can,t see where they have had to regrout most people probably would not even notice I'm just pickey. The free breakfast was wonderful I could not believe that there was no charge and the waitresses were very attentive. FYI the hotel next door has an outdoor ampitheater so if you are a light sleeper you should request a room on oppisite side of hotel towards the yacht club were it was very quiet.

Nice surprise at the Bay Club!

by TripAdvisor Member amagnotta

We decided to treat ourselves with a hotel on the water. Although this hotel is a bit dated, it was very clean. The staff went out of their way to accomodate us. We did not like the location of our original room and were given a room that faced the marina. The rooms are very spacious. With two teenage boys, we did not feel cramped at all. The complimentary breakfast was adequate and being able to dine on the outdoor patio a plus! Be sure to visit the Point Loma lighthouse a short distance away. Would definitely stay here again!

Bay Club Hotel & MarinaBay Club Hotel & Marina

Help with accommodation

by Krisha

Hi
We are coming over from Australia and are thinking of staying at the Bay Club Hotel & Marina on Shelter Island. Is it ok? Hard to find?
Any noise from airport or air bases nearby?
How long drive by car from Anaheim to SeaWorld?
Thanks for your help
K

RE: RE: Help with accommodation

by lmkluque

The Bay Club Hotel and Marina on Shelter Island is Okay, not hard to find and probably pretty quiet. I haven't stayed at the hotel but have been over to Shelter Island, which is a nice place to visit, many times and even outside, I haven't noticed the sound of airplanes or helicopters being too loud. I'm sure that from inside your room it will be pretty quiet. I have a few photos of Shelter Island on my San Diego page in the "General Tips" section, including this hotel, if you'd like to see.

The drive from Anaheim to Seaworld will take an hour and a half if there is no traffic and up to two and a half hours if there is a lot of traffic, such as during the rush hours or if there are accidents along the way that can back-up the the traffic any time day or night.

Hope this helps,
Linda

RE: Help with accommodation

by Krisha

Thank you Linda you were most helpful.

Went into your General Tips site and that was excellent too. We were able to see where we are staying and it made me feel a lot better seeing where the place is.

Thanks again for helping us tourists find our way around your beautiful city.

Kris