Best Western Lamplighter Inn S

6474 El Cajon Blvd., San Diego, California, 92115-2645, United States

BEST WESTERN Lamplighter Inn & Suites at SDSU
Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

• COMFORTABLE BASIC ACCOMODATION

best western diamond elite member; paid $64+tax in december-2011 which is good rate for value received; appreciate upgrade to family suite with kitchen with utensils and separate bedroom and living room; ralphs and vons grocery stores, walgreens,, cvs near by; some restaurants near by but did not try them

clean, comfortable basic accommodation; chose for high traveladvisor rating and not disappointed except for minor irritants as detailed below; helpful, courteous staff; older property but well maintained; nice firm comfortable beds; plenty of clean towels

bulbs above sink outside bathroom burnt out but not replaced for two days despite request;
    at arrival, room very clean but housekeeping didn't clean interior of microwave where previous guest left spilled coffee & half full coffee cup but i didn't report instead cleaned myself;
    flat screen tv in bedroom goes blank for 30 seconds each time channel changed [most annoying] so instead watched CRT tv in living room;
    stayed 3 nights but housekeeping never left fresh paper coffee mugs or condiments packet until i left note asking for them; very clean room and well maintained property;
    realize breakfast under reconstruction but general quality & variety of breakfast items poorer than comparable hotels;
    provided soap, shampoo and lotion but no conditioner

would definitely stay here again & would recommend to others

More about Best Western Lamplighter Inn S

Lamplighter Rocks!!

by TripAdvisor Member GaiaGoddess

Good location. Close to everything. Nice quite rooms. Everything was in good working condition. Clean. Staff was very friendly. Breakfast was fresh and filling. We had a wonderful time and are looking forward to our next stay at the awesome Best Western Lamplighter in San Diego, CA.

All we could wish for a more!!!

by TripAdvisor Member sharylatdeeprunpres

We were looking for a great base camp to explore the area and rest after a killer week of house building in Mexico and this was just the spot. The rooms were CLEAN (cleaner than a few expensive places I've stayed at in SD for business) and the hotel staff went over and beyond to make us feel welcome and accommodating our needs. We were able to check in early. They gave us great suggestions for food, sights and fun in the area. There were lots of families so we felt comfortable but not overwhelmed by noise. The breakfast room was small but a yummy selection. All and all it was an exceptional experience!! I don't think I'd stay anywhere else when I'm back in the SD area. Thanks so much to David and Len and all their staff!!!!

Great Customer Service!!!

by TripAdvisor Member drcieslak

We visited San Diego recently and stayed at this hotel. It is very close to SDSU campus and about 15min to attractions. While not the fanciest hotel, it was very clean, and had the best front office staff I have ever come across on a hotel stay. They did whatever they could to make my stay comfortable and convenient. The continental breakfast was better than most, and the manager even facilitated my airline arrangements. I would definitely recommend this place!

Wonderful Friendly and Very Reasonable

by TripAdvisor Member bear1999

Very clean.
Friendly and helpful desk folks.
Good simple breakfast with waffles.
Very comfortable beds.
Nice pool.
Beautiful landscaping.
Good restaurants within walking distance.
Would stay again.
Reasonable rates.

Great place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member Schenker_Family

We are a family from Switzerland with 3 children (5, 7 und 8 years old) and we stayed 18 nights at the BW Lamplighter Inn in a family suite. We totally agree with the positive earlier customer-reports. The staff was always very helpful and very kind and the rooms were always clean. There is also a nice swimmig pool to relax after a long day visting all the nice places in and around San Diego. All you need is just around the corner (restaurants, grocery store, post office, bank, etc.). On the other side of a hill is the I-8 Fwy which allows to reach most of all attractions (San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Downtown, Mission Beach, Coronado, La Jolla etc.) in 15 to 20 minutes.
It is definitely a great place to stay and we highly recommend this hotel. Thank you David & Len, you made us always feel at home and we will come back again! Denise & Mario & Kids

Wonderful Experience!

by TripAdvisor Member natinmd

Great stay while I was in San Diego. Their breakfast is more than continental! You get to make homemade waffles. I will definitely stay here again.

Staff was very friendly and accomodating. A single queen bed room may be tight for more than one person, but that is not a complaint, just an observation.

Good value, clean rooms, nice breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member TravelinFamily7

We booked this based on positive reviews and were not disappointed. We were in San Diego for four nights with our large family and needed a suite-style room in a safe neighborhood not too far from the family attractions. We didn't need a lot of frills because we were only going to sleep there. This hotel was well run and the rooms and grounds were clean. The breakfast was nice with a good selection, including make your own waffles, hard boiled eggs, cereals, oatmeal, bagels & toppings, muffins, pastries, toast, juice, coffee, fruit, etc. The pool was small, but clean and heated. It was a quick drive (15 min) to the airport, Seaworld, zoo, etc. We didn't utilize the kitchenette much because we ate out, but it would have been handy if were were there longer. It was stocked well with kitchen items. This hotel has exterior corridors, which was convenient as we parked right in front of our room (free parking, too). Overall, we were happy with our stay and have found that Best Westerns usually are a good value for the dollar.

Great Family Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member mmmmsac

This is an excellent hotel!!!

the rooms are large & updated, the pool is heated, the staff is friendly, the continental breakfast is FABULOUS and the price is reasonable!!!! you couldn't ask for more.

i'm definetely staying there again.

Immaculate rooms, great service, hearty breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member petalsbloom

My family and I thoroughly enjoyed this hotel. Our suite was clean, well kempt, and brightly lit. We were compelled to take off our flip flops in the shower and sleep in our regular night clothes (something we don't do often while traveling) because everything looked so sparkling clean!

EVERYONE in this hotel was ridiculously nice. From housekeeping to the front desk, the staff truly embodied "service with a smile". I was initially disheartened because our family of six was only given one shampoo and one bar of soap on the first night, but when we went to the front desk, they gave us a handful of complimentary items with no complaints. When we found out that the maid had not given us a fresh roll of toilet paper, we found her outside and asked her for another- of course, she generously gave it to us. The staff is by no means frugal.

The room furnishings were simple and tasteful. The decor suited me just right- I value comfort over style. The rooms were a little small but this was not a concern for us- we were out for most of the day. The swimming pool was a little small too but it was a good temperature.

I personally thought the breakfast was excellent. It was nutritious and substantial...hard-boiled eggs, bread, bagels, fruit, milk, muffins...more than you would get at a regular hotel! It was a great way for my family to start the day.

The only complaint I have for this hotel is that it was a little far from the main San Diego attractions. We visited Sea World, some beaches, downtown San Diego, and San Diego Wild Animal Park...all of which are at least 20 mintues driving distance. The hotel itself is surrounded by many restaurants up and down El Cajon Blvd, but some of these places are sketchy at night. Still, the location was of a minor inconvenience.

Overall, my family and I really enjoyed ourselves at this hotel.

My Cousin Visiting and going for a ride.My Cousin Visiting and going for a ride.

middlemiddle

entranceentrance

USS MidwayUSS Midway

Hotels on El Cajon

by pbuyse2

Am planning a trip to SoCal next year and was wondering if any of you knew about these 2 hotels on El Cajon, the Best Western Lamplighter in at 6474 El Cajon and the Howard Johnson at 6440.
I know these places are out of the way for the SD attractions but since i need 2 rooms there are the most cost effective solutions.
Any thoughs on the hotels and the area is greatly welcomed.
Pete

by pbuyse2

In the same price range as for the Culver city hotel, preferably less than 60 dollars, since once again i need 2 rooms.
So far i have looked all over the net and this Hojo on El Cajon is the very cheapest one i found, without having to resort to dumps that is.
I can live with interesting places being a bit away, we have a car anyways.
Would love to stay at the Coronado, but unless they offer me rooms at 60 bucks that is not going to happen, lol.

by pbuyse2

No one else has any views on the HoJo on El Cajon or the neighbourhood ?
Any decent restaurants around there or good places to shop around San Diego State ?
Would love to hear more from the locals on this one.
Pete

by rabbit17

I do believe he means on El Cajon (as in Blvd) and not in El Cajon, so it's not as far east as you suggested, Yubert. Besides, if he has a car, everything's fine -- even El Cajon proper. My parents live out there and I can get from UTC to El Cajon in 25 minutes. Not speeding.

Those are both relatively near SDSU, but I wouldn't say it's a great neighborhood. As you start getting around toward the 5000s things tend to start getting grittier.

Unfortunately I can't speak to those specific hotels or restaurants etc. that might be in the area. For $60 a night there are a lot better, or equivalent, hotels in more interesting areas, IMHO.

by pbuyse2

Rabbit If you or anyone else knows of any hotels in San Diego that offer a rate between 50 and 60 and you know they are good places to stay, i would love to hear about them.
And yes i meant El Cajon Blvd.
Txs

by pbuyse2

Sweetmilk, you talking about the Hojo at 6440 El Cajon ?
And why did you have to get money from the ATM machine ? do they not accept credit cards, which would be real strange.
If this is the place, how are the rooms, is the pool any good, any other comments ?
Txs, Pete