1055 First Ave, San Diego, California, 92101-4890, United States

Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 33% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Mosie's Profile Photo

Bristol Hotel

I've actually not stayed here, but I did get the grand tour when a friend did. Seemed very cool - nice rooms (kind of Danish Modern), interesting decor.

Unique Quality: The best is the function room on the top floor - the roof slides open for an open-air dance floor! Going to an event there is definitely on my wish list...

Directions: Downtown San Diego

More about Bristol Hotel

Has great potential but...

by TripAdvisor Member natsfan62

This hotel has great potential for being a great hotel, but it really seriously needs to look at its management and reorganize or take some customer service classes.

When we checked in they were having problems with the water in the hotel. But they did not tell us that at check in. So after a long day of touring around, we wanted to take a shower. The water pressure was low. Called the front desk and that is when they informed us that the water would be fixed in an hour. After waiting an hour, it was still not working. Long story short, it never came on that night.

The rooms are great and comfortable and a great value for the price. Great location. But they really need work on their customer service. BIG TIME!!!

Not great...but not bad either

by TripAdvisor Member ukulelemama

I read all of the negative reviews for the Bristol, and it hasn't lived up (down) to the reputation. Granted, it's a bit on the noisy side (street noise), and it's not a spiffy new hotel, but on the other hand, the location is terrific, and it's quite clean (most important for me). The decor is cheery and boutique-ish. Other that the mattresses being a bit tired (really need to be replaced), I'm quite happy we stayed here and saved over $100 per day that we'd have spent at the Westin where my husband's conference is being held.

Pleasant, convenient

by TripAdvisor Member elmoeiowa

We just spent five days at the Bristol Hotel, and we were pleased with the facilities, the staff, and the price. The convenient location allowed us quick access to city buses and trolleys, making transportation throughout the city and area points of interest easy and economical. It was a short and pleasant walk to Horton Plaza for shopping, the Gaslamp District for dining, and the harbor for tourist attractions. The restaurant serves great breakfasts, and our room, though not expansive, was colorful, comfortable, and clean. The robes are a nice extra touch. Though some reviews have complained about the noise, it did not seem excessive for a location in the heart of the city. I attended a conference at a hotel near the airport where rooms cost twice as much and the continual sounds of jets landing and taking off were far more disconcerting than the street noise outside the Bristol.

Great value & location

by TripAdvisor Member SLOBetty

My husband and I just spent three nights at the Bristol Hotel and found it clean, comfortable and quiet (we requested a quiet room on a higher floor, the downside being a view of the office building next door). The location for a carless vacation was unbeatable-- a comfortable walk from the train station and down the street from the Transit Store where you can get information about and buy tickets for the many transportation options. Walk to Horton Plaza for shopping, the Gaslamp Quarter for dining and nightlife, and the waterfront for sight-seeing. Hop on the trolley or bus for Balboa Park and Old Town. A highlight of the stay was breakfast, which is included in the price of the room -- Bristol Parfait, Paris Omlette and breakfast potatoes were all yummy. An outstanding value!

best hotel ever

the bristol hotel was absolutely wonderful. the atmosphere was great, service nice, and location perfect for our every desire of discovering downtown san diego and neighboring attractions. everybody was polite and the bell boys are hot!!!

Very good experience at the Bristol

by TripAdvisor Member Cindyn

Just came home today from San Diego. Our stay at the Bristol was very pleasant and money wise very good value. The hotel is very well situated {walking distance to gaslamp district, horton plaza, seaport village, harbour cruises, ferry to Coronado, trolley station, and just a few minutes by car from the airport. We did not have a car and we were quite satisfied with the hotels location. We took the bus to venues like Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo, Lajolla, and the trolley to Old town. Very efficient service. About 4 small blocks there is a big grocery store called Ralph's which we found to be very helpful because we bought alot of fruit and bottles of water there.

Our room at the hotel was "very CLEAN" and spacious. We were provided with nice soaps, shampoos, and complimentary use of his and her bathrobes (very good quality). Our room had a CD Player, televison, minibar, ironing board and complimentary access to internet service if you have a laptop. The room was pleasantly decorated and we were provided with a jar of complimentary candies. The Bristol provided alot of nice touches to make their guests stay pleasant including complimentary access to a computer and the internet in the lobby. complimentary safety deposit boxes, and for those who have vehicles valet service is available for a fee.

The Staff at the Bristol were very courteous and were quick to handle inquiries and problems. When we left yesterday we also found out that they are a pet friendly hotel. We highly recommend this hotel.

Great location but dirty rooms!!

I have stayed at the Bristol twice, once in October 2004 for my sister's wedding and then again on the night of January 1, 2005. I'll start off by saying that the location is wonderful!!! You cannot stay at a more convenient location for shopping, sightseeing, etc. Unfortunately, there were more problems than perks. My biggest complaint is room cleanliness. The first time I stayed, we checked into a room that had not been cleaned yet. When the room was cleaned, there were chips in the shower and the comforter was not clean (I know they are rarely cleaned but they don't have to appear that way!!). The second time I stayed, the "clean" room we checked into was just plain dirty. There was still change on the TV (next to wet spots) from the previous guest, a dirty table, and literally hair on the bathroom wall from the previous guest as well. Once again, the comforter just did not seem clean. Hotel parking is expensive ($18 valet per day; no self parking). The service was generally good (the bell staff is outstanding!) but the desk staff lacks some much needed professionalism (i.e., when I was waiting at the front desk at check in, I could overhear the desk clerk telling the housekeeping manager that another guest was very unhappy with the cleanliness of her room. Imagine that). It's truly disappointing, because this hotel has potential to be truly great. The hotel may just need more conscientious management. I would stay here again, but I would definitely bring some of my own cleaning products for some extra insurance!

Better than the chains

Just completed a three night stay at the Bristol Hotel. I was in San Diego on business from January 27 - January 30, 2005. My stay was excellent!! Everyone I came in contact with was friendly, professional and oh so ready to please! The room was immaculate and room service was prompt. The decor is modern with bright hues and contemporary furishings.

Everything a weary business traveller needed! Plus a good home base to see the San Diego sights. Ideal location for Horton Plaza and the Gas Lamp district. All within walking district. Special kudos to the server and bartender at Daisy Bistro and Lounge. Philip and Sandy (or is it Stacie?) trully understand the meaning of good service!

Sooo much better than the chains. Good price value and excellent location. I plan to return.

Wonderful, worry-free stay

After reading the previous negative reviews, I was concerned about the Bristol -- especially since I had booked it for an event and had recommended the rooms to our guests. I talked to someone there who explained that they have revamped both the management and the building since those reviews were posted, and she suggested I stay at the hotel to appease my concerns.

My stay at the Bristol went extremely well. The rooms are a lot of fun; and while the building is old, the furnishings are both modern and comfortable. I had no problems with the customer service, elevators, or facilities; on the contrary, everyone was helpful and things worked just fine.

I'd highly recommend the hotel to anyone who appreciates a unique, casual, but elegant atmosphere. If you have a chance, check out Daisies Bistro -- the food there is amazing!

Comments