3999 Mission Blvd., San Diego, California, 92109, United States

Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa
Orbitz.com Travelocity amextravel.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Horrible Experience and Service

This place appears nice based on reviews and images and such and claims to be a 4 Star resort. DEFINITELY not the case!!! The place is far from a Four Star resort based on the room and definitely the service.
    Four Star resorts in my opinion do not have "popcorn ceilings" and the elevator is clean. When you check into a place you should pay attention to those that are checking out. An extremely angry and frustrated couple was checking out when I checked in and that was my first sign to avoid the so called "resort".
    The flooring is old and dirty in the room and everything is outdated. The room was not reliable in getting hot water on multiple occasions. The television upon turning it on is extremely loud and the internet was unreliable as well.
    The hotel rented out the amenities to a private party and restricted access to bathrooms and restaurants. The staff was never helpful and never apologized. The service was definitely not what is expected from a 4 Star resort.
    The keys failed multiple times during my stay and upon arriving to my room on the last evening they treated me like a prisoner. The staff failed to mention to me that they needed more money from me on my deposit and held my stuff hostage. I was told that a bellman could escort me to my room to get payment which would have been fine, except that they wanted me to simply be escorted and brought back down to the lobby to make a payment. The failed communication and lack of professionalism and apologies was unbelievable.
    I have no idea how this place is in business or how they get any positive reviews. It was absolutely the worst travel experience of my life and I've traveled all over the world including third world countries. Don't be deceived and stay somewhere else. There are much better facilities and values throughout San Diego. I've stayed at different hotels many times in San Diego, California and never had such a frustrating and negative experience

Unique Quality: Grounds are very nice in appearance and they have koi ponds with ducks and exotic birds on display. The location is perfect but definitely not a Four Star Resort or worth what they charge.

Directions: Mission Bay or Pacific Beach area

• BEWARE OF BED BUGS

7/24/2011 BEWARE BED BUGS!!!!!

My wife and kids stayed here Sunday night, their first room (Deluxe Garden Room) was horrible.
    They paid to upgrade as they didnt have a choice.
    The next morning my daughter woke up with thousands of bites all over here.
    She slept on the pull out couch, my wife and son slept in the bed.
    Imagine the horror of my 14year old daughter walking around san diego with horrid looking bites on her face, arms and legs.

The management here really didnt care, or even appologize for this.
    They said they could move them, but two strikes is enough. On to another hotel.

If you read the reviews on this hotel. Or at least the real reviews, there is a common thread of poor maintance, run down everything, and staff/managment that doesnt care.

believe it, it is all true.

Unique Quality: Smells, Dirty, and Bed Bugs!

4 star resort my rear.

• lb94105's Profile Photo

Simply The Best Hotel in San Diego

This place was above our expectations. Highly recommend the stay. Wonderful for children. Very tropical feeling in a very relaxed atmosphere. Employees are above and beyond helpful and friendly. The view from the tower is beyond words can say. This is a class A place. I will be staying here now everytime I will be visiting San Diego. Bravo to the Catamaran

Directions: One block from the beach, GREAT views! On the sand beach of Mission Bay. Great Location

• A Great Location For Sun/Fun Lovers.

Let me start by saying that we made our way to San Diego after staying at the Luxor in Las Vegas.
    Our first impressions of the Catamaran were favourable, it has an impressive lobby complete with cascading water feature, complete with fish, and although we had asked our agent to reserve a room with a bay view he informed us that he would pass our request onto the hotel but he could not guarantee this would be provided, so to be shown the way to a 1st floor (top) room with a lovely outlook onto the bay was in my opinion a bonus. The room was spacious and clean and apart from the bathroom, which was in need of refubishment, was very acceptable. Although it was not centrally located it was perfect if, like us, you love the sound and smell of the sea and like having the beach on your doorstep. There were plenty of restaurants and bars in the area of Mission Bay all within walking distance and if you don't fancy hiring a car there is a bus service which takes you to the 'Old Town' bus depot (about 15 minutes) from where you can get to all parts of S.D. and the surrounding areas and even over the border to Tijuana via the San Diego trolley.
    Mission Beach is a place where, no matter what your age, you feel invigourated and i for one thought it was an ideal location. Enjoy!

Unique Quality: I found the hotels facilities to be in good order although i did not frequent the gym as i was on vacation, a time for rest. We were there in September so the pool area was fairly quiet, the hotels restaurants were of very good order and the bars very pleasant, the regular Friday night trips on the paddleboat 'Bahia Belle' (free to residents of the 'Catamaran' and 'Bahia' resorts) were very pleasant with live music aboard and refreshments were available from the bar, a very pleasant way to begin your Friday evening and one of those little things that helps this resort remain in the memory long after your vacation is over. The staff were very helpful, from the maids to the receptionists.

Directions: Between Sea World and La Jolla.

• vigi's Profile Photo

Catamaran Resort Hotel

Residents in Catamaran Resort Hotel. It's like a mini-zoo, all the birds, ducks and swans are well kept.

• vigi's Profile Photo

Mission Beach Area

Very neat resort hotel with good facility: gym, heated swimming pool, car park, connected to mission beach, and a garden with well kept ducks and swans. The biggest resort hotel in Mission Beach area, walkable distance to all the bars and resterants.

• What a fantastic view !

A lovely hotel, on the beach with an excellent choice of rooms. Lots of facilities and friendly staff

Unique Quality: The hotel has it`s own Catamaran which offers day and night cruising around the bay and over to the sister hotel.

• Catamaran Resort Hotel

US$139 or so

Unique Quality: It tries to be a resort experience. It's actually got quite nice facilities, a pool, etc. But wouldn't you rather be hanging out in San Diego than cooking in your tower suite?

• SDSU2001's Profile Photo

The Catamaran Resort in...

The Catamaran Resort in Mission Bay
    prices may vary, but the range is anywhere from 129.00 to 179.00 for a night but sepcial packages are included so call now!

Unique Quality: The catamaran is right by the beach so you do not ever have to worry about driving 5-10 miles just to get to the beach! What is good about this resort is the intoxicating view of the ocean! The prices aren't really that expensive considering how a lot of San Diego is! But the one thing that the Catamaran does do is accomodate all kinds of people, and they have various packages such as Bed and Breakfast, Sea World, Unlimited Use, San Diego Zoo, and WildlifePark packages!

Directions: The Catamaran is located in Mission bay one of the many parts of San Diego is a must see!

More about Catamaran Resort Hotel

Taste of the Islands

The Catamaran resort is as close to Hawaii as you can get on the mainland. With it?s swaying palms, tropical plants, Polynesian style d?cor, and friendly staff, one definitely gets the Aloha feeling. The Atoll restaurant has outstanding food and the Cannibal Bar is a fun spot to have a Mai Tai. The Ocean is a short block away. They are numerous clubs and restaurants within walking distance as well.

Overpriced - Not a resort at all

Stayed for 5 days in a pricey bay view suite (prepaid through expedia) because I was willing to pay the money if it was truly resorts standards. This place has not kept up with the times -- it is old and looks old in and out. You are paying for the location but there are a number of other hotels on the bay and on the beach and so there may be better options. In our suite there were no heating vents in the bedroom so that the bedroom stayed cold while the living room area stayed hot.
The suite was supposed to have a full kitchen but you have to specifically request a microwave, corkscrew to open a bottle of wine and they do not provide paper towels in the kitchen. There is no high speed internet access which was a major disappointment. Had Christmas lunch at the hotel restaurant but despite the fact that I was a hotel guest for 5 days and despite having made reservations seeking a table with a view this was not accomodated when we got to the restaurant.
They suggest the "World famous" restaurant where the food is quite below par. There are no perks like a morning newspaper. The courtyard is pretty and has exotic foliage, parrots etc. The bellhops and parking valets are quite helpful.

Wonderful Views, Rooms, and Rates

I was truly horrified to read some of the comments of the Catamaran here as I was about to post my comment. I guess my problem is that I have a hard time understanding how many of these people can sit at their computer and completly bash on a hotel without mercy on things that the hotel probably couldn't even help. Some of these guests must have had really bad pms days when they stayed. In contrary I would like to share my experience. I booked directly through the resort reservation department. The person that I spoke with was extremely well-spoken and for that matter was probably the most helpful and knowledgeable reservations agent I've ever spoken to. My stay was in a very nice Bayfront Room right on the Bay. The hotel is conveniently right across the street from the ocean so my children and I had a wonderful time at the beach. The Concierge that I spoke to in reference to things to see and do in the city was extremely helpful and went above and beyond to try to help us. I have never received such good service from a less than 5 star resort. I have know changed my proffesion, however, for 8 years I dedicated my self as Food & Beverage supervisor at a Major Hotel with a AAA Five Diamond Rating. The service that we hosted and promoted there was and had to be of the upmost quality. We strived to be perfect. I would like to let the Catamaran know that although they may need a few different venues to become a five diamond resort, their service standards and their wonderful employees sure are making a lasting impression on me and many more of their guests. On service you deserve a 5 Star Rating!

Hotel recommendation

by marksan

Forgot to ask in an earlier post about hotels. We're planning on staying at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn while in S.D. in April. Has anyone had any experience with the Half Moon Inn on Shelter Island? Does it really have a good view of the city skyline?

by YVRDave

Not all rooms have the view. You must book a View Suite for guaranteed view. The restaurant and lounge have the view.

yep! that's right.

by YVRDave

Hey Larry, how's are you? I will e-mail you about the Dine Italia lunch and the Wine Makers Final Dinner. The first rule of hotels is, there are BAD rooms. Only the best rooms depict what the hotel sells. Sometimes it is worth the extra expense, sometimes not. I would think if the difference to a garden room to a view suite is under $40-50 it would be worth 2 night but not more. If you want to stay for a week, the lounge and restaurant view should suffice for the night lights and 2 meals would be paid for with the difference.

by travelgourmet

Hey Griff, at the Half Moon Inn, all they have to do is go outside and walk around a bit. The city lights at night across the bay light up the sky. They can also sit on the dock of the bay watching the ships go by. Shelter Island is one of San Diego's out of the way gems. With the North Island Naval Air Station just across the water, lots of aircraft as well. I also like to dine at Bali Hai. See website:www.balihairestaurant.com

by YVRDave

Is that the Bali Hai Hotel? If it is I stayed at their brother property The Catamaran 15 years ago . I liked it for the HUGE amount of college women having fun in the live band bar in the basement. I really enjoyed Leilani's next to the Best Western Blue Sea on Mission Beach.

by travelgourmet

You are thinking of the Bahia Hotel in Mission Bay. Bali Hai is a restaurant on Shelter Island.

by YVRDave

Thanks for the slap in the memory bank. I looked at the website and saw the pier and thought it was the same place. Wrong bay as I now remember.

by travelgourmet

15 years ago, lol, I remember the Catamaran Resort before it was a resort and just a hotel, like 1960. Ouch!

by TempNomad

Anyone going to San Diego should at least look into staying at the Bankers Hill Manor. It is the perfect place to use as a base and as a resting spot. We want to return to SD just for the Manor!

Comments