Comfort Inn Gaslamp

Costs 65% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about Comfort Inn Gaslamp

Oh The Humanity!!!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member dieterbean

we decided on this motel due to its proximity to petco park. we were going to two games and thought it would be nice to be able to walk over and also save on parking at petco----what a mistake!!!! upon arrival, i asked the fellow at the desk if he needed us to move the car as we were parked right in front of the place. he stated that he would inform me of parking after check in and did so with attitude and indifference. we found that we would be parking in a lot kitty corner to the place out in the open. we didn't quite like that idea--plus there was a $14.00 per day charge for this. we went up to our room and were disgusted. small, smelly and dingy. we immediately decided to try and find a different place to stay. we made a few phone calls and the places we called were booked, so we decided to stick it out there at the rat-hole for the night, but cancel for the next day. we went to the first of our games and upon walking back saw that our rental car (a convertable) was still there and looked fine. my husband even went down later to get me some cold medicine out of the car and everything was still fine. in the morning we went out to the lot to begin our day of sightseeing----and found to our horror that someone (some filth) had knifed the top of the convertable and broke into the car--i was sickened. thankfully everything was out of the car except for the car manual and my rental agreement (which thankfully didnt have any personal info except for my name on it) so that is all they took. livid, we went back to the desk clerk to see what would be done about it---i told her i was cancelling the second day stay and wanted a refund on the first night. she was very blaise about what i was telling her and even "helped" other people that came in behind us whilst i was talking to her--you think you can pay attention for longer than a nano-second?. she called her manager and told me that she couldn't refund that nights stay, but that she would cancel the second day and refund both days parking charges. when she handed me the reciept to sign i had to point out that she did the reciept incorrectly--she had only refunded us for one days parking. she might have caught it herself if she wasn't busy filing her fingernails. we then spent the next couple of hours calling the police to make a report and hertz to explain what happened and get a different car. it cast a bad shadow on the rest of the trip---i didn't feel safe. we have been to san diego once since then and i still have a fear about leaving our car because of this. upon leaving town the next day (a sunday) we went by the hotel and parking lot on the way out and found that there was a police car in that lot talking to yet another unfortunate victim of this motel. i wrote the motel after the trip and again requested a full refund citing that with the police in the lot the very next day, the motel knows full well that there are problems there and should either equip the lot with 24/7 security or atleast have the human decency to forwarn their patrons of the probable risk of parking there. because of comfort inn gaslamp, i will never get a room in the gaslamp again and i will never stay at a comfort inn anywhere ever again. they did finally refund the money that i requested, but wouldnt it have been a lot simpler to get a security guard, have clean, decent premises with a staff with more than the collective brain cells of an ant? you'd think they would go the extra mile-----then i would have been praising them right now and maybe a lot of people would like to stay there---and maybe it would've been my motel of choice when going to san diego. they did this to themselves.

frustrating

by TripAdvisor Member jvtravelers

My sister-in-law and I booked 1 night at the Comfort Inn in Gaslamp on a Saturday night. First of all, traffic sucked! The baseball stadium is just a few blocks away and that made for horrible traffic. Not only that, the street where we were suppose to turn right to get to the hotel was closed. I had to drive around in circles to try to park and get to the hotel. I literally drove around for 45 minutes. Finally, I had to illegally drive in reverse to get the front of the hotel. Once inside the man helping us said there was no available parking in their lot. I was very unnerved by then. I do not know the name of the guy but he was not customer service oriented. Another gentleman came over and took control of the situation and told the other man to give us a parking pass for a parking lot a block and a half away. Thank god because there was no parking to be had because of the game. Once in our room things were a okay. The rooms are small. The bathroom only has the shower/bath and toilet. The sink was in the room next to our bed. No big deal. The location was great. Overall, I probably would not stay here again.

Not too bad

by TripAdvisor Member wimbli

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of October. Our room was small and smelt a bit when we first arrived, but it disappeared after a while. The airconditioner was very noisy but it didn't really bother us and we managed to sleep just fine. The sink was also next to the bed rather than in the bathroom but we got used to that as well.

Good points are the microwave, fridge and safe in the room, the free internet access downstairs, the laundry, and the free breakfast which was better than I expected - omlettes, sausages, DIY waffles, bagels, pastries, toast, cereal, juice and tea/coffee.

But the best part was the location. Heaps of restaurants, cafes and shops nearby, all within easy walking distance. Would recommend going to Buca di Beppo next door to eat - Italian restaurant with huge portioned size meals that were very tasty and a nice atmosphere.

In our case, the good points far exceeded the bad points which were bearable anyway if you're not too fussy. We'd definitely stay here again if we ever went back to San Diego.

Comfort Inn or park bench......PARK BENCH

Stayed here becuase everything else was booked. The rooms are so tiny they can not accommodate anything larger than a double bed. The sink for the bathroom is in the bedroom. I can turn on the water in the sink and brush my teeth without getting out of bed. The air conditioner (who's decible level is just below a 747) has to run on high and non-stop to keep the room just below sauna level. It finally cools off just before sunrise but warms up again once the sun has been up for a couple minutes. The view from the room is a wall. The bathroom (with no sink) has a toilet that you have to flush by holding the handle until the flush is complete. They jacked me on the price - possibly because a conference was in town and all hotels were booked - paying $179/night. Hotel front desk could not have been more anti-social. Perhaps they have an attitude due to all the complaints they get. If you stay here do not pay more than $6/night - the value of the breakfast you get in the morning. On a good note, the maids were friendly, although not very prompt on cleaning the room.

a good bang for your buck

by TripAdvisor Member snowykitty

After reading the reviews on this hotel, I was wary - but I couldn't pass up the $62/night deal with Expedia. Upon arriving at the airport, the complimentary shuttle came quickly for us. (Request the "Cloud Nine" shuttle with the attendant at the shuttle pickup area #3.) Check in was fast and easy. I had originally gotten a double bed, but I requested two double beds and the guy gave it to me without extra charge. When I got to the room, I was pleasantly surprised. It was cozy, but not tiny. The room was very clean and beds were comfortable with ample pillows. The small amenities were a nice touch -especially the good sized fridge, microwave, hairdryer, and even makeup remover(!). The showerhead pressure was great. My only complaint is the construction going on across the street - it woke me up at 8am, but I didn't mind too much because I made it to breakfast. The selection was delicious: eggs, waffles, cereal, pastries. The hotel's location was prime: I walked to the Horton Mall, bars, salsa club, an excellent Thai restaurant (Rama), and to the full service gym that was complimentary when you show your room card. Be sure to bring your laptop, the free wireless service is great for checking out directions. I stayed two nights and was allowed extended checkout at 1pm. Overall, this hotel was a great deal and I was extremely satisfied.

Good location, good value

by TripAdvisor Member wsf

The hotel was conveniently located to the convention center and the Gaslamp area. Check out the Rock Bottom Brewery just a couple of blocks from the hotel. Would also be a good location if you were going to Petco to see the Cardinals beat on the Padres. I spent 5 nights there while attending Firehouse World at the convention center. It was a good value (booked on Expedia) for the location. Nothing elegant but my room was clean and comfortable. High speed wireless internet was a plus. Coffeepot, refrigerator and daily breakfast was a plus also. I would have no problems staying again.

Surprisingly good!

We stayed here one night and it was actually very good! The location is great - right in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter. We had a very large room which was clean and bright with comfy beds, no problems. Plus there's a safe, a fridge, a microwave, iron and ironing board. The bathroom was fine. There was a little bit of noise early in the morning due to construction work across the street but it wasn't so bad. The free internet access was handy, they have coin-operated laundry facilities, and the continental breakfast was also surprisingly nice. Great value - would stay here again.

Great Location, Nice Amenities, Small Rooms

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel over Cinco de Mayo weekend. The location of this hotel is one its best features. It is located right in the Gaslamp District which is loaded with restaurants and bars. The hotel itself is older, but well maintained. We stayed in a room with one full bed, an it was very small. The sink was about two feet away from the bed. There were some nice amenities though. There was a microwave oven, a mini fridge (actually cold) , coffee maker,and ironing board/iron. The free popcorn was a nice touch.

The main problem we had with the hotel was with the air conditioning. Even though we had a small room, and the temperature was not very hot outside, the room never really got to a comfortable temperature. I am sure that it would be undbearable in the summer months. Another problem was that there is only one ice machine for all 4 floors of the hotel. Finally, the one elevator is very slow.

The free continental breakfast was very good. We were able to make our own fresh waffles. They also had mini cheese omelettes, bagels, pastries, cereal, and yogurt. They had great coffee, hot chocolate, and juices as well. Great way to start the day.

The parking situation was not the best. We had to pay $14 per day to park in an offsite outdoor parking lot about a block away. We also had to get a new pass to put in the car for each day we were there. I can't understand why they couldn't give a pass for the entire stay.

Comments