Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley

2270 Hotel Circle North, (formerly Red Lion Hanalei), San Diego, California, 92108, United States

CrownePlaza.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 25% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• leplaya's Profile Photo

Tropical themed hotel in Mission Valley

This is a hotel in the hotel circle area in Mission Valley. It's a relatively nice hotel with a tropical theme (palm trees and tiki torches everywhere!). One of the best parts of this hotel is the courtyard area between the lobby area and the rooms. There is a nice pool, shaded by palm trees, a hot tub, and a picnic-type area. In addition, the rooms surround a tropical garden with a pond. The rooms themselves are normal 4* level with all the normal amenities (cable TV, large clean rooms and bathroom, etc). There is wireless internet but it costs about $10 a day. The staff is very nice and there is a free shuttle that takes to you nearby locations (including old town, the trolley statio and the local shopping center), but not the airport. Overall, it's a relatively nice place, but except for old town, it is pretty far from other parts of town.

• joanj's Profile Photo

Hotel with a Polynesian Flair

The hotel is within easy reach of San Diego Zoo, Sea World Adventure, Golf courses.

It is set among tropical palms, and lush gardens. It is located in the heart of Mission Valley. close to the city's attractions, shopping and golf courses,(there are purported to be 90 course in San Diego)

Unique Quality: There is a lovely outdoor pool, set in the garden with a relaxing pool are and small jacuzzi.

Cannot give you ideas of price as it was included in our tour package.

More about Crowne Plaza Hotel San Diego - Mission Valley

Hawaiian Eye

Had a reunion in San Diego. The hotel where the reunion was to be held was all booked up. They recommended the Hanalei Hotel to us, so we decided to stay there. Everything about the hotel was just great. The employees were really nice, especially the cleaning crew. We were on the sixth floor over looking the pool. I would stay at this hotel anytime. Hanalei Hotel keep up the good work and on behalf of my family i'd like to thank everyone.

Not bad, but nothing extraordinary

by TripAdvisor Member BerthaJean

My family stayed at the Hanalei Hotel a number of times in the late 80's and early 90's and we used to love it. Of course I was a teenager for most of those visits and had somewhat different expectations of a hotel than I do now.

We spent three nights there in mid-september along with other family members. We had a total of four rooms. All in all, we had a good time, and many things were the way we remembered them. The pool is great, the spa nice, but a bit of a walk from the pool. The koi ponds and whole area between the buildings is still nicely landscaped and pleasant.

On the negative side, parking is atrocious. It costs $8/day so you can park in a space that is about 6" wider than the typical car. That is if there isn't some sort of special event going on and you can actually find a space.

Our room wasn't bad. Certainly way beyond the typical Motel 6 room, but maintenance wasn't as good as it could be. I had to fix the toilet in my room so it would stop running in the middle of the night. Also, the TV has no usable inputs to attach a video camera, game system, or whatever else you may have.

Based on the price we paid (about $135/night with parking and taxes,) I would expect more. Considering the location and time of year, it probably isn't too far out of line, but I have stayed in much nicer, fancier hotels in other cities, for less than that.

It was fun for the memories it brought back, but I will certainly look harder at other options next time I go to San Diego.

Red Lion Hanalei is okay

The first thing that will burn you is the fact that they charge $8 a day to park your car in their lot when you're staying there. That may not be uncommon around there, but it strikes me really odd. I think it starts you out on a cheap, money grubbing feeling from them. The hotel is okay, nice courtyard, pool and landscaping. This Red lion is located in Hotel Circle and there are many in that area on both sides of the freeway. It's easy to hop on to the 8 to go anywhere and many tourist destinations (Balboa Park, Zoo, Old Town, etc) are pretty close.
They have a fancy restaurant, a "pu-pu bar and sushi, and a mediocre restaurant upstairs. The Island (expensive one) doesn't seem to know when it wants to be open. Pu-pu bar is okay, if you like sushi and $6 glasses of wine. The eatery upstairs is mediocre in food and price. The rooms we stayed in we got over the internet and were their oldest, cheapest rooms, as it turns out. But they served well. We didn't go there to hang out in our room all day. It was adequate, though I've been in bigger Red Lion rooms. No big complaints. No major problems other than the irritation of the parking. Might be a little overpriced, but after all, you are in San Diego where the cheeseburgers are always $7 and that doesn't include fries!

A very good find

by TripAdvisor Member Benjamin M.

We stayed at the Red Lion Hanalei in June 2004 after switching over from the disappointing Old Town Inn.

The Red Lion certainly has a great property -- interior courtyard with a nice pool and palm trees and lots of room to sit in the sun or have a whirlpool.

The staff were quite friendly and helpful, and when we had trouble with our in-room Internet connection 2 people came to our room in 5 minutes.

Yes, it was a bit pricey, especially when add-ons such as breakfast and secure parking were included, but my wife and I thought it was well worth it. We would have no reason to not come back to this hotel should we return to San Diego.

Looking for something different?

by TripAdvisor Member Givemechange

Aloha!

Just got back from a two night stay at the Hanalei and we were satisfied with our stay there. Upon arrival, my experience with the check in staff was a bit less than mediocre. The person who checked me in could've used more training in the hospitality/friendly department, but hey maybe he was having a bad day. The hotel building looks a bit dated once you pass the nice front entrance which really does look inviting. We stayed on the third floor facing east I believe, although I wanted a west facing room, b/c supposedly one can see the Sea World fireworks (I inquired later with hotel staff and they said one has to be on the 8th floor in order to see them and that they truthfully didn't think you could get a good view, but they could've been fibbing, who knows), but the view from our room was nice nonetheless.

Our corner room (double queen) was in great condition, the furniture seemed new. The room was very well maintained, spotlessly clean and there were no weird smells.

We had a pleasant experience with room service (she was in good spirits, unlike the check in guy). And by the way, The Hanalei's Veggie Pizza is yummy...

All in all I would recommend The Hanalei for those seeking something different......it offers a tropical, outgoing vibe....and is not your typical Radisson.:)

Mahalo!

Wonderful Beautiful red Lion Hanalei

August 1, 2004. We just returned from a week at the Red Lion Hanalei. Excelent place to stay. All staff was very personably and helpful. The room was very clean and inviting with nice furniture, good lighting and good size. We were on the 7th floor with a balcony overlooked the pool and spa. The property is fantastic, with Koi ponds, waterfalls, palm trees, tropical plants. All very well maintained. Room service was fast and served very good warm food. Our granddaughter loved the Pizza.. We ate at the resturant which was good, but enjoyed ordering by the pool or in our rooms. Would love to return today. Price is resonable for the area, and well worth the money. Close to HWY 8 & 5, so it was easy to get to the main attractions of San Diego.

Would Return in a Heartbeat

My wife and I have stayed a the Hanalei on various get-a-way mini vacations since 1982. We have observed it in different conditions through the years. We just returned from a five day stay and found it to be in great shape and newly refurbished. Still one of the best atmospheres, pound for pound. The Peacock Restaurant was good, as always, for breakfast every morning. The grounds are great and the hotel location is super for easy access to every major attraction. Made our trip goal of relaxation very easy.

Help!

by Quinn_CT

Hi everyone!

I need some help orientating myself in San Diego! I am attending a conference which will be held at the Town & Country resort on Hotel Circle North. I am looking for an affordable hotel nearby, and unfortunately all the hotels in Hotel Circle North are full, so I am looking at ones in HOtel Circle South. On the map, however, it appears that the northern and southern parts of the circle are separated by a humongous freeway. Is it possible to cross? Is there transportation that will get me from north to south? I am now also considering hotels elsewhere (but preferably near a trolley stop and in a safe area). Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Greetings from Cape Town,

Karen

by ltt

there are a couple of overpasses that will allow you to get from the southside to the north. contact the san diego tourist bureau. they'll be able to tell you which ones are within walking distance.

by bocmaxima

You may be able to find something in Old Town. That's sort of walking distance, but if it's too far, it's on the trolley line.

by PBHomey

I would try the Red Lion Hanalei Hotel...it's a big place. If not, the Double Tree in Mission Valley is right on the trolley and the trolly does stop not too far from the T&C. Welcome to beautiful SD!

by lmkluque

The number 6 bus is the one you'd take to get from Hotel Circle South to Hotel Circle North and to the SD Trolley station in Fashion Valley .

Did you try the Comfort Inn at Hotel Circle South? I saw the other day that their rates start at $55.00. La Pensione in Little Italy is about two blocks from the SD Trolley Station which would take you to the Fashion Valley station, and the rates there are not too high.

Hope this helps,