Doubletree Club Hotel San Diego

Priceline.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 23% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• morgandk's Profile Photo

Motel Circle

We booked our room several months in advance and prepaid. If we had not prepaid, we probably would have looked elsewhere due to the cleanliness and condition of our accomodations. The bathrooms had a abnormal amount of fungus. The Hotel Circle thing takes some getting used to, but after you master it then it really is a great location. The pool and the spa were great, just not normal doubletree/hilton standards.

Directions: Take the Taylor Street exit off the I8. The sign is red.

More about Doubletree Club Hotel San Diego

We'll Try Elsewhere Next Time

Room was fine but lacked the bedding appropriate to a "3 star". The folks at the front desk were pleasant and responsive but service in the restaurant and bar was innattentive (probably due to staffing issues and not the individuals on the floor). Breakfast buffet was unimaginative/mediocre. I suspect the hotel lacks the "critical mass" to conduct a serious food service program. In short, eat elsewhere. The pool was under heated and folks (including my kids) were heard wincing at contact. The "suite" was walled with a 6 inch opening where the wall meets the window thus defeating the purpose of the "suite" (parental privacy). We will try elsewhere upon our next visit to the area.

pretty decent for a 3*, good location

stayed here during July 4th weekend. This is a 3* hotel,
so don't expect the standard DoubleTree amenities. But, the hotel, room and staff were nice and helpful.
room service was good, pool was open late.. Best thing
we liked about this place was it's location. It's very close to most of the major attractions in san diego.

Surprisingly Excellent!

by TripAdvisor Member stuseattle

We just got back from staying three nights at this hotel and were pleasantly surpised at how nice it was. First of all, after reading lots of comments about "hotel circle" in San Diego, where all the hotels are perched over the highway, I have to say that this hotel is SILENT! The rooms are incredibly soundproof. We never heard the people next door, we never heard the people upstairs, and barely heard a conversation in the hall right outside our door one afternoon.

We were on the pool side, not the highway side, but this place was quieter than any hotel we've stayed in. My daughter and I looked around and found ourselves in one of the ballrooms; this was lots of glass overlooking the highway and even she noticed that you couldn't hear the cars.

The staff were friendly; the restaurant was fine for breakfast -- a nice all-you-can-eat for $9 -- and the soups, burgers, mini-pizzas, at night were reasonable and tasty.

If you haven't been to hotel circle, it's REALLY convenient to everything. We were minutes from Sea World, the zoo, Mission Beach, and downtown was convenient as well.

Parking is free; small outside pool and jacuzzi, not a fancy place but worked out well for us.

stu

This hotel need an overhaul!

I did a lot of research on hotels for San Diego. We endured for three nights only because it was spring break and many of the hotels were sold out. This Doubletree needs a major overhaul! I had been told the rooms had recently been re-done.
The rooms leave much to be desired...small TV's, very old and hard beds. The beds were very low to the ground. The furniture did not match. The rugs were dirty and on two days the maids never came...I had to call down to the hotel desk @ 6:00pm. The hotel is very loud, partly due to design and partly due to being close to the highway. The hotel staff did not appear well trained. The full breakfast was excellent and the wait and kitchen staff seemed effiecnt and friendly. the hotel is just a few minutes to the Zoo, Marnie World, etc. I did meet other nice adults at the pool, although everyone was complaining about the beds! I will not go back to this hotel.

BEWARE,CAR STOLEN!

by TripAdvisor Member lonestarcars

My family recently stayed at the Doubletree Club on hotel circle in San Diego.The bell boys stood and watched while I unloaded and loaded luggage,our car was stolen from the hotels secure parking.We discovered our car was stolen 2 hours before our departure.I ask the hotel for a courtesy van,none.I asked for the mgr,and was told she was out of town.When I asked for an asst mgr,I was told she was in training.All the time we are trying to speak to the police on the phone,and get to the airport on time.This is probley not the fi.rst time this has happened,they didnt seem too concerned.Pay more somewhere else,these people couldnt care less.More than anything,I was disappointed with the total lack of concern or help

Nice...But next time we'll stay in Anaheim

We spent 3 days at the Doubletree Club on Hotel Circle in San Diego end of April 2005. The Doubletree is a beautiful hotel, very good customer service and lovely, clean rooms. Our only problem was since we didn't have a vehicle and had to rely on public transit and taxi it was very inconvenient to get anywhere. We are from a small town and the trolley system was an adventure we could have done without. There is an 8 lane freeway right in front and no way to walk anywhere safely. We tried to find a convenience store one evening and had to walk 1/2 mile to the closest store. We didn't really feel safe walking around at night.

The Panini Grill located inside the hotel was served a great buffet breakfast each morning consisting of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, french toast, almost everything you could think of at a pretty good value ($9.00 per person). In the evening the menu was limited, but everything we tried was very tasty and the prices were reasonable.

Although the facilities and room were lovely, we think next time we'll stay in Anaheim at the Tropicana and take day trips to San Diego for SeaWorld.

Very Nice and Comfortable Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JasonFromCalifornia

All the previous "complaint" reviews about this hotel must have been written by some bitter people that cannot be pleased by anything. This hotel was a great hotel. The service was outstanding from check in to my meals in the restaurant to check out. The room was clean, spacious, quiet (it was even facing the freeway), and had great views. I was able to see the Sea World fireworks show one evening from my balcony. The cookies they give you at check in are some of the best I have ever had. Youre only supposed to get them at check in, but they provided me with extra cookies whenever I asked. If you want a nice, reasonably priced hotel with a friendly staff, be sure to stay here.

Average...OK. Would probably stay somewhere else next time

Hotel is decent. Cookies were the best part. Hotel was not stingy at all, get cookies whenever you ask. Beds seemed old...i had one that creaked whenever you moved. Bathroom was a little raunchy. the tub was old looking. can hear through walls, especially neighbors tv and bathroom flush. Can hear every neighbor's door slam and don't get a room near ice machine or soda machine. the balcony was nice. pool is nice. Breakfast was convenient, buffet of potatoes/eggs/bacon/sausage/fruits and pastries for 9.99. They also cook to order whatever you want. No gift shop. Staff was friendly. hotel parking lot was small and narrow. Be careful while driving in it. Just an ok hotel. We would probably stay somewhere else nicer next time.

A good (not great) 3-Star hotel

We stayed two nights (10/9, 10/10), and paid $89/night for 2 queen beds on the 7th floor (a definite advantage of travelling off-season). But initially we were disappointed in what we found. The desk staff was courteous, but the other staff were not guest-focused (stepping onto the elevator ahead of guests, going ahead of me through an outside door and letting it close in my face, few smiles or greetings). The pool area had old towels lying around, even early in the morning. And in spite of assurance that the parking structure was guarded at night, two cars near ours were burglarized. The next night was better (clean pool area, new spa chemicals, newspaper at the door), and we left feeling positive overall about the hotel. My impression was that they were ok with being an average hotel, when they could be great by giving more attention to guests and to spending a few dollars on some fix-it details. Since they're a part of the Hilton/DoubleTree family, I expected more.

Comments