Doubletree Hotel San Diego/Del Mar

Costs 48% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Doubletree Hotel San Diego/Del Mar

Doubletree was a good base to explore San Diego

by TripAdvisor Member MaxPower2006

My wife and I just returned from a trip to the San Diego area and one of the places we stayed was the Doubletree Del Mar. I had booked the Doubletree after reading the pretty good reviews here on TripAdvisor.

We liked the location as it was away from the action a bit which made for easier driving (less traffic than staying in La Jolla for example) and also allowed for free parking. The area is semi-commercial semi-residential, with a number of tech companies having offices in the immediate area. There is also a couple of malls with drug stores and shops within a 2 or 3 minute drive. It was about 5 minutes to the coast - right by the Torrey Pines State Beach. We hiked in the Torrey Pines State Park and enjoyed the short drive out there. The location was also good for getting into downtown San Diego on the I5 highway or to other attractions like the Wild Animal Park which took us about 20 minutes to drive to. The location was the highlight of the hotel for us. It was also 20 - 30 minutes into downtown San Diego even in long-weekend traffic.

The service at the hotel was just "ok". When we arrived it was the Saturday of the Labor Day long weekend and the hotel was full the night before. We got to the hotel at about 2:45pm when check-in was 3:00. We were confronted with about 20 people in the lobby and about 7 people in line to check-in. While standing in line to check-in, it was obvious we weren't going to get our room right away. True enough - when we got to the front of the line, the very harried staff member told us "it wasn't time to check in yet" as it was 2:55pm versus the aforementioned check-in time of 3:00. He told us to wait for "10 or 15 minutes" and they should have a room for us. This is of course what they told all 20 people standing in the lobby. There is nothing magical about the 3:00 time that all these rooms would be ready. We saw we weren't getting a room for a while and left and came back at 4:30 and got a room (not the same as what we had requested but we got a "you should be happy you got a room" look from the guy at the desk). My problem here wasn't the fact they were busy or totally booked up, it is understandable, the problem was the way the staff handled it - asking people to wait in the lobby for 10 minutes when it was obvious no rooms would be ready just caused the people standing around to get more and more annoyed as more and more people showed up to check-in.
Another service issues were the lack of towels at the pool, which has been mentioned here before.

As for the quality of the hotel itself, the room was good - on par with other Doubletrees we have stayed at. The bed was excellent and everything was very clean and tidy. The carpets are looking a bit worn but nothing serious. The pool area was nice with plentiful chairs. It was in the courtyard and even with its proximity to a highway I was surprised at how quiet it was.

This is a family hotel as was witnessed by the number of little children running around, so a romantic getaway it isn't, if that is what you are looking for. I also bet during the week it gets a lot of business travellers lured by the good location.

Bottom line, is that when you stay a bit farther away from the action of La Jolla, Mission Beach or downtown San Diego, you can get the same quality of room for significantly less money and since almost everyone who visits San Diego has a car, the ease to get to all the attractions makes staying outside the heart of the city a good choice. I'd stay at the Doubletree Del Mar again.

A Great Family Place

by TripAdvisor Member SoccerMomma

My family recently stayed at the Doubletree Del Mar. This hotel was a pure pleasure! The pool was large and well stocked with towels-- they even showed family movies on a screen over the pool on both Friday and Saturday night! Every night they offered $2 drinks and $2 appetizers in the bar and poolside -- the food was good and they even had a great guitar player to entertain us with Jimmy Buffet tunes on Saturday night. The parking is free -- where it is about $12 a night at most Southern California properties! They offer a free shuttle to the Del Mar racetrack and make it available to anyone traveling within 6 miles of the property also for free. The rooms were large and the beds comfortable and clean. While located in a corporate park, you felt like you were at a small scale resort. The location is ideal for La Jolla, Del Mar and Seaworld. Plenty of food choices within a very short drive. And those yummy hot cookies...I would definately recommend this hotel!

Great beds overcame minor flaws

by TripAdvisor Member jogom

We stayed at the Doubletree Del Mar 6/18-6/23 during our family vacation in San Diego. The hotel is currently being renovated which caused some inconveniences like workmen hauling materials in the the elevators (causing delays in elevator service), paint fumes in the hallways and construction noises starting about 8 AM. Also, the gift shop and business center were closed which meant we couldn't check our email (the in-room TV internet service is a joke as it is as slow as molasses). The renovations did cause many rooms to be closed though which made the hotel quiet at night - I only heard other guests in the hallways a few times.

This hotel has a nice pool area with a large swimming pool, wading pool and jacuzzi in a tropical setting - actually much nicer than the hotel photos depict. The best thing about this hotel though is the extremely comfortable beds. I rarely sleep well in hotel beds but these were the best hotel beds I can ever remember sleeping in!! The bed and bath linens were very clean and in excellent condition as well. The location is very close to I5 but we didn't hear highway noise. It's also a quick, easy drive to the beautiful Torrey Pines State Beach.

Once renovations are complete, this hotel should be very, very nice - although I'm sure the price will increase to reflect the updated interior!

Pretty nice but thin walls = less privacy

by TripAdvisor Member karp415

This is my second weekend stay at this hotel, both times booked on Priceline for < $75. The short story is that for the money, you can't do much better anywhere on the CA coast.

Rooms are very clean and more than large enough for two people. Beds,linens, and towels must be relatively new as they were all in excellent shape. The staff was extremely nice.

The downside was the noise. The walls are thin and the hallway doors, like too many other hotels, slam shut loudly and constantly. Probably due to the value the DoubleTree offers, many families (and show dogs, on the weekend we stayed) make it their home base to tour local attractions. Honestly, it was difficult to get a good night's sleep, between the whiny kids (5 to 10 yr olds) beside us at 5am and the slamming doors. (the show dogs were no problem whatsoever)

We asked our neighbors to be quiet at 10pm and they responded by calling the hotel manager and complaining about our TV being too loud, which was at a very low volume. It was all very childish. The hotel manager was smart enough to recognize what was happening, and despite the inconvenience for all, moved us at 10:30pm to a junior suite, which was infinitely more quiet. Thank you for that. We still heard excited kids in the hallways at 7am the next morning as they made their way to the elevator, but what are you going to do? I got more than my $75 worth...

To recap, this is a fine place for families. Close to everything you need and free parking. However, this is not a good place for a weekend getaway with your Sweetie-pie. Next time, I'll bite the bullet, pay three to four times the price for a place I can relax at, and come back when we have a screaming kid of our own. The noise may be quieter during the week when there are less children and more business travelers.

Excellent Hotel With Outstanding Service !

by TripAdvisor Member ashwest

My wife and I stayed at the Del Mar Doubletree from April 22 till May 1 and we'd strongly recommend it. Key points that contribute to this hotel's excellence: (1) Management's attitude is outstanding and it sets high performance standards. Angela and Anne are two key examples of what leadership/management should be -- they lead by example in creating a customer-friendly environment; (2) Housekeeping is world-class; the Housekeeping Manager (Dianne) makes sure that standards are maintained; (3) Location is ideal --- just off the highway and in a safe environment (we even walked a couple of times to the nearby shopping center); near the oceanfront; and a couple of fine restaurants in Del Mar Plaza; (4) Ample parking.

We want to thank Angela and Anne for making our stay comfortable/memorable and we'll certainly go back to this hotel when we're in the area.

Doubletree Is Excellent

by TripAdvisor Member caresmom

We stayed two nights at the Doubletree, June 3 and 4th. Everything was great. Room was CLEAN, the bed was the most comfortable one I have ever slept on at a Hotel. The parking was free and there were lots of spaces. We were close to everything we chose to do. It is easy to find, right off the interstate 5. We would stay here again!!

nice surprise

We were very happy with our decision to stay at the Doubletree. Room was clean. Nice size. Great location for all the places we wanted to go. Sea World, Legoland, Zoo. We were about the same distance from all those. Also, a plus was the $2 happy hour drinks & appetizers. The only negative was when we checked in, they were remodeling & it was so loud & I thought "oh dear, what have we done" However that only lasted a short time & no other re-modeling noise interfered. We would definately stay again.

Perfect Family place

by TripAdvisor Member 3men

My husband and two boys stayed here the last week of July. We love the San Diego area(who wouldn't) and wanted to have quick easy access to downtown and La Jolla. I did lots of research and I wanted a hotel that had a nice pool and was clean, but not pay for all the frills since we would be mostly away during the day. I am very picky when it comes to cleanliness and this met my expectations. Clean floors and tub- no hidden area were they overlook!! We were late getting in due to delayed flight and the hotel still gave us those great cookies at 11:00pm. We did get placed in a room with the parking lot view upon arrival, but they began working on getting us another room at arrival. The next morning we moved to the new room with the pool view. The pool was great-large enough you don't feel on top of people- very quiet(never saw that our hotel is actually off the highway!!) The hotel is in a residential business area- which is great you can walk to two different shopping plazas for resturants,movies, shopping. However you don't see any of this out at the pool or really even in the lobby. Felt very safe and secluded however was in great location for going into downtown or to the La Jolla area(quick despite CA traffic!!) We actually had an early morning departure flight and it took us no time to get to the airport. All the staff we met were friendly and helpful- they print you out great maps and ideas for resturants, shopping, beaches upon request- with personal knowledge of the places.
After doing research and seeing the other places that I was thinking about this one was perfect.

This was not a family place

by TripAdvisor Member peditraveler

We would not recommend thishotel for anyone. The service was awful...when we arrived, we were not offered the traditional cookies.....our room sheets had stains all over them . When we asked for a change of sheets, it took over two hours for that to be done. AT the swimming pool, there were smokers and pets present and certainly didn't set the mood right..I didn't want my daughter hanging out around a cloud of smoke. There were no towels by pool side and it took over an hour to get some when we asked.....we have stayed at other doubletrees expecting just as pleasant of a stay , but this is not a place we would recommend.

Excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member WillieMillbrae

Booked through Priceline. When we arrived, we were offered the cookies. The room was clean. Be aware, Internet access in the business center cost money.

We were planning a trip to Legoland and Seaworld. The Doubletree was located between both attractions. The hotel is situated in a business park with restaurants, groceries and gas nearby. We have 2 young children and had time to kill and were very pleased to have used the nearby playground and library!

We would stay at this hotel again.

In Mission Park off freeway 5...great bike path!In Mission Park off freeway 5...great bike path!

at kodak theaterat kodak theater

facing the seaport villagefacing the seaport village

facing the harborfacing the harbor

Hotels - San Diego

by redgirl1984

Hi People,

I am back to ask more questions - thanks to everyone for your help on hotels in LA.
I am from San Francisco (Mission District, in case you care) and will be looking at Graduate schools in Southern California.

I am in LA right now and going to San Diego on Monday.

I will have a car (this is California) and have appointments at UCSD and San Diego State.

So, I wanted to get ideas on hotels maybe near either of the schools or reccomendations on what area of San Diego is best to stay in.

Hotels - looking for a moderate hotel in the $200 range. would be nice if it had a pool

Thanks

by chopchi

My daughter is finishing up grad school-PHD- at UCSD and we always stay at the La Jolla Holiday Inn-the pool is great,breakfast incl.Try to get one of the rooms around the pool not in the other buildings.Wonderful Mexican restaurant across the street!
Great location-easy to get to downtown San Diego and La Jolla!

by travelgourmet

One of the hotels in the Hotel Circle area of Mission Valley would be ideal. I believe that the Comfort Suites would do nicely. See website: www.comfortsuitesmv.com

by spartan

Hi Vanessa,

The Mission Valley area will give you the most options as it's near both SDSU and UCSD. If you want to stay in the LaJolla area (Del Mar), the LaJolla Hyatt @ Aventine has rooms at $229/night. Hilton also has some properties in the range you are asking...Hilton/Torrey Pines (from $229.00/night), Hilton/Del Mar (from $209.00/night), Doubletree Del Mar ($199.00/night), Homewood Suites/Del Mar ($189.00/night). Good luck and all the best with your interviews.

Spartan