Doubletree Hotel San Diego-Mission Valley

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Doubletree Hotel San Diego-Mission Valley

Convenient location

by TripAdvisor Member pointtravel

Just returned from a stay at this Doubletree, Mission Valley. The location is very convenient. It is only 20 minutes from La jolla and close to downtown. There is a huge mission valley shopping center 5 minutes away from the hotel. The excecutive floor was nice. But there is some poor design with the window insulation. You can definitely hear the freeway noise.
The hotel room is very clean and bed comfy.The front desk clerk forgot to give me the cookie upon checkin.
The evening reception is very nice on the executive floor. I couldn't believe they served crabcakes. If anyone wants to save money on parking fees, there is street parking right in front of the hotel. It's a dead end street and very safe. Overall, I would recommend this hotel. I would stay here again if the rates are good. btw, I forgot to mention that I had a nice plasma TV in my room, which was a nice touch.

Great hotel, great location

by TripAdvisor Member vagaSanFrancisco_CA

Just returned from 3-night stay @ Doubletree. The property is located close enough to San Diego attractions without being right in the middle. The hotel gives a good impression from the get-go. Complimentary pickup at airport. Easy checkin (of course the choco chips cookies are a plus), nice and clean accomodations (room is rather large), great pool area and adjacent outside lounge with firepits in the PM. The hotel is close to several restaurants and not more than a quarter mile on each side from two shopping malls. (Mission Valley and Fashion Valley). Trolley stop directly across the street provides easy access to San Diego attractions. Our room overlooked pool area, mountains. I suspect this was the best view as the highway or strip mall parking lot would be the alternative views. This is more of a business hotel although we saw several vacationers. Did not see many children however. Staff is very nice and all in all a good deal. Only minus would be parking charge of $10 per day plus you can hear the trolley in background if it's quiet. This didnt bug us at all however.

Convenient, Great Service, Pet Friendly

by TripAdvisor Member LakersFan

November 21, 2005 – My wife and I had the opportunity to spend one night at the Doubletree Hotel at Mission Valley in San Diego, CA. This was the first time that we took our pug, Kobe, with us.

The hotel is located in Mission Valley, very convenient to everything in San Diego. It is at the intersection of I8 and 163. From the hotel it is about two miles to the San Diego Zoo at Balboa Park, and five miles to both downtown San Diego and Sea World. The Hazard Center Station for the San Diego Trolley is just across the street from the hotel which is very convenient.

Check-in at the hotel was quick and everything about our reservation was in order. Because we were traveling with our dog, we were given a room on one of the two “pet friendly” floors; three and four. Our room was #413, facing east. It was a large king, non-smoking room.

Besides the very comfortable king bed with an assortment of pillows, there was a full-size sofa and coffee table, a work desk with HS internet ($10.95 per day), an armoire with the TV, and a separate table with a coffee service. The TV had all of the expected cable channels, plus PPV movies, music, and games.

We did not eat at any of the restaurants at the hotel, but was able to get my “Starbucks fix” from the lobby snack and gift shop. Besides brewing Starbucks coffee, they had a good selection of snacks: sodas, beer and wine, and ice cream. The gift shop was typical with both necessities and some souvenirs.

Service at the Doubletree was great. The associates at the front desk and bell stand were exceptionally friendly.

The hotel has both an indoor and outdoor pool. There were plenty of lounges and pool towels. Next to the indoor pool was a large exercise room with all the normal equipment. Everything appeared to be in excellent condition. There is also an outdoor whirlpool spa.

Parking is adjacent to the hotel. We chose self-parking which was listed as $10 per day, but we were not charged for it. Valet parking was listed as $15.00 per day. The parking lot connects the hotel to Hazard Center with a multi-cinema, and other shops and restaurants.

We were very pleased with our stay at the Doubletree Hotel and would definitely stay there again!

Fantastic Service

by TripAdvisor Member vkolli

The best thing about this hotel is the service you will get from the hotel staff. Extremely freindly and very quick & efficient. Stayed there, 3 nights with kids and we enjoyed the hotel facilities very much. Pools, both indoor and outdoor are very clean and nice with complete towel service. Really enjoyed sitting by the fire pits. Very convenient location for all major attractions and quite a few nearby restaurants, mostly chains though. Haven't tried the hotel restuarents though. Very comfortable bed and fluffy pillows. Room large enough to be comfortable for two adults and two kids. Bathroom is mediocre though.

Will definetly stay here again if we are back in San Diego.

Bed's so comfy you'll waste your holiday

My girlfriend and I spent 7 nights in the Doubletree over new year and were thrilled with what we'd got. Lovely big rooms, very comfy beds with millions of pillows. Very clean, friendly staff and having the trolley link to the city right next door was very handy (its $5 per day - unlimited travel and takes about 10mins to get to downtown San Diego) We had one minor complaint which was that the hotel had not told us that 8 out of 10 floors were being used for a new years party, but it had its good side, we'd not only got an upgraded room but also got 2 nights free - many thanks to Bellise on reception, shes lovely!! The hotel bar was very nice with log fires burning outdoors, and quite reasonably priced. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant but mainly because Old Town San Diego (2 stops away on the trolley) had such good restaurants (try the Zocola bar and grill - tres bien!) All in all a top hotel!!! Plus if you register with Hilton Honors program, you can get additional airmiles, i got another 2000 virgin airmiles just for staying at the hotel.... I'm one happy camper (well hotel stayer!)

Really a great, spacy hotel

by TripAdvisor Member lite2shine

I have stayed at many different Doubletree hotels but this is by far a nice hotel. The room was nearly double of other normal hotel size. The front desk staff was friendly and location is perfect. I'll definitely come back.

Great experience

by TripAdvisor Member DiMe2

Usually one tends to notice when a hotel stay is less than satisfactory but I found myself noticing how much I enjoyed my stay at the Doubletree. Mind I was here for work so there is a limit to one's pleasure but I would like to note that the food in the bar is quite good - when is that ever the case? - the hotel staff exceptionally friendly and helpful; the beds extraordinarily comfortable; the toiletries better than average (giving sunscreen is a great idea! why don't more hotels do this?).

World Baseball Classic stay at Doubletree 03/18 to 03/21

Got this hotel on Priceline for $60/night for March 18 to March 21. We stayed here because downtown was just to expensive during the World Baseball Classic and NCAA tournament time.

No mention of Priceline upon check in and the staff was very friendly. The room was nicely appointed and was a typical Doubletree hotel. Nice space in the room, work area, and fantastic bed. Did not visit the pool area but the gym was nice and had plenty of cardio and weights.

The Hazard Center is right next door to the hotel and offers a movie theater, shops, and restaurants. In the surrounding area there are numerous shopping centers and even more restaurants.

We stayed here and were going to the World Baseball Classic at Petco Park. The drive was not bad (even with the traffic) and only took about 20 minutes total. One time we took the trolley (which is right across the street) and it took a LONG time to get to the park. Although it was convenient not having to look for parking and all that.

The only two negatives I had about the hotel was the parking charge for the garage they have (not typical of the Mission Valley area) and the fact that the nice hotel bar closed early each night.

Overall it was a great stay and if I don't stay downtown on my next visit to San Diego I would definitely entertain staying here again.

Nice place, close to trolley

Stayed for 6 nights at the end of March. I paid for 4 nights through the Hilton website, net direct rate, and I had 2 free nights with Hilton Honors points. This is a very nice hotel. Within walking distance, there is a Joe's Crab Shack, Applebee's, Quizno's and a movie theater. The sign said there was a charge for parking ($12 per night), and they asked me if I was using the parking when I checked in (I said yes), but I was never charged for parking. There is a trolley station across the street, which is great.

Unlike the previous review, I had no problem with noise. Bed was comfy. I was not in an executive room, but I was on the Hilton Honors floor, and they brought cookies to the room every evening. Nice continental breakfast for Honors members and evening snacks. Staff was ok, not too friendly though. Would stay there again.

Very Nice All Around

by TripAdvisor Member i00567

Stayed here 3 nights from April 1-3. Rooms are nice but as others mention, the highway noise is apparent. No other negatives. We were not charged for parking which was a plus since it is priced at $12 a day. Good location for getting to downtown, zoo and LaJolla. Great gym & pool area.

Comments