Embassy Suites Hotel San Diego Bay-Downtown

601 Pacific Highway, San Diego, California, 92101, United States

Embassy Suites San Diego Bay - Downtown
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

Costs 111% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• LAPTOP STOLEN FROM HOTEL ROOM!!!!

Our stay at this Embassy was less then favorable!!! On the last night of our stay we went out to dinner and left our laptop out in the hotel room. We were out for only a few hours, and upon our return, we're shocked to find that the laptop and charger were both missing from the room. We conducted an extensive search through the room with no success. The laptop was GONE!!! We proceeded by calling the front desk, to make them aware of what had happened and to have security check out who might have been able to come in during the time we were absent. According to the reading of the key entry, NO TRACE of entry was detected between the hours we were out! (Inside job?!) We asked if there might be cameras to see who could have come in during those hours, but SURPRISE only lobby cameras in this hotel! Both management and security were not even the least concerned with our problem, and acted as if we were lying about the entire thing. No apologies nor compensation was offered. We were told that the hotel's insurance would contact us, and that there was nothing they could do more for us. This was exactly one week ago! Today in the mail, we received a letter stating that the hotel was not responsible for this theft! DO NOT EVER LEAVE ANYTHING VALUABLE IN YOUR HOTEL ROOM! TAKE IT WITH YOU! IT WILL BE STOLEN AT EMBASSY SUITES AND THEY WILL NOT CARE!!

• Thieves on Board

This is a beautiful facility located conviently downtown. The complimentary breakfast and happy hour were a big plus. I had one major problem. Somone gained access to my valet parked vehicle and stole my $!,000 computer. The parking operators and the hotel have failed to make any restitution or even partial compensation. I am convinced one of the valet parking attendents took my computer from the vehicle. So be warned, do not leave anything of value in your vehicle.

• travelgirl3's Profile Photo

Wonderful Location!

This hotel is located in a fabulous spot. It is in the Gaslamp District, close to all the wonderful restaurants and night-clubs, and is right across the street from San Diego Bay. Some of the rooms are city-view, however you can request a bay-view, which we were lucky enough to receive. The view across to Coronado was fantastic! It is also across from Seaport Village, and very close to USS Midway Aircraft carrier, and several other ships.

The 2 room suites are a nice touch, with a TV in both the sitting and bedrooms. We also found the microwave and small fridge handy, as after being out all day, we were too pooped to go out for dinner a couple of evenings. We ended up walking to nearby Ralph's grocery and picking up some ready-made soup, and a fresh baguette and ate dinner in front of the TV. All the comforts of home, but somebody else to clean up and make the bed for you!!

Unique Quality: I would have to say the view is one of the best features! It was so nice to come back to our room and just watch the boats going up and down the bay. The made to order breakfast, and evening cocktail party, both complementary, were also a nice touch. Both were offered in the lobby, in the central courtyard, which is very pretty with fountains complete with koi, and turtles.

We intended to use the indoor pool one evening, but ended up in the outdoor hot tub instead. We didn't use the exercise room.

Directions: At the corner of Harbour Drive and Pacific Highway, across from Seaport Village.

• just4funds's Profile Photo

One of the nicer ones

Another business trip (what else!) This Embassy was in great condition, clean, up to date, etc. The location is prime, Seaport village is one block away, Horton Plaza is about a 10 minute walk, and the Convention Center is about the same.

Unique Quality: It has an indoor/outdoor pool, but don't expect to catch any rays. It is a covered area.

Directions: From the airport, follow Harbor Drive around the bay. It's just minutes away.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Near the Gaslamp and Harbor

I haven't stayed at this hotel either, but I did see the building of it. It was the restaurant that interested me most as my favorite way of checking out a local hotel is to dine at it's restaurants and wander around the public areas.

This is one of the better hotels in the area and not what would be considered "budget." However, it is conveniently located near Seaport Village, the SD Harbor and the Convention Center. The Gaslamp Quarter is just a few blocks east and within walking distance of most things in the downtown area.

Unique Quality: It seems to me that one of it's unique qualities is the location. It is a block from the SD Bay and should offer great views of the city and the Bay if you request a room on the Bay side.

They offer free full breakfast in the morning from the PFC Bar & Grill, which is open to the public for lunch/dinner. Also free drinks are offered to guests in the evening, from their full service bar. If on a business trip they supply almost everything that might be needed to complete business transactions. If it is a family vacation, there are plenty of extras for families with kids too, including a babysitting service.

The photos I show here were taken from the Island of Coronado at the park just below the Bay Bridge. The clump of trees at the foot of the hotel are part of Seaport Village.

More about Embassy Suites Hotel San Diego Bay-Downtown

OK but Great Location!

by TripAdvisor Member ktscott01

We stayed at this property for 3 nights during August 05 and had no problems. I give it 3 stars because that is what it was, just average. The rate wasn’t that great but the rooms were nice and the location was FANTASTIC! You were pretty much were within walking distance of a lot of attractions and if you weren’t, there are 2 trolley stations very close.

We were picked up at the airport by the shuttle w/i 20 minutes of calling which was nice. It’s only about an 8-10 minute ride to the hotel. The downside of the shuttle was it started at 5am and we had to be at the airport before then so we had to pay for a cab. I didn't like that they would take us to the airport earlier in the shuttle so it ended up a $10 cab ride with tip.

We lucked out and got a huge corner room so space was not a problem at all. The bathrooms were fine and I didn’t have any problems with the shower (i.e. low pressure, cold).

They have a full breakfast that is included every morning which was very good and fast. The only problem is the place is packed during peak eating hours and a table is hard to find. They had a full spread of hot and cold foods.

There is also a manager’s reception everyday from 5:30-7:30 which was very good also. They had snacks and drinks. The section of alcohol was more then I have seen at most other hotels also. They had a beer, wine and some different liquor. This is also something that got packed but the line went fast.

I would say that the concierge was the worst thing about the trip. She was pretty useless. It seemed like the places she suggested were not even close to what we were asking for. At one point we asked for a sports bar and she must have been getting a kickback from this bar because she sent us to a bar that had sports on TV but wasn’t even close to a sports bar. She also told me the hotel bar was a sports bar so after that I didn't give her much credit. The people at the front desk were just as helpful as she was.

Since we were there during the summer the place was packed. The bellboy told me they were 90-100% booked during the summer. Sometime you had to stand there and wait 5 minutes for an elevator but there was a sign they were starting an elevator renovation if thats going to make a difference I dont know.

Overall it was an average stay. If someone asked would I stay there again I think I would if they had better rates but if not I think I would pick another hotel in the area.

Location........location.........location

by TripAdvisor Member Stacy12

This was our second stay at this hotel. It is a few blocks from the new Padre's Baseball stadium, the convention center, seaport village and minutes from the airport. We were in San Diego for the Comic Convention and it was terrific to walk to the convention center, the baseball stadium and across and down the street to tour the retired aircraft carrier "The Midway".

As others have mentioned, there is a free breakfast every morning and it is better to go early if you have a group and want to sit together. Good food selection with healthy alternatives to eggs and bacon.

Free cocktails at 5:30 each evening with chips and popcorn, etc. There is also a restarant and small indoor pool, but we did not use the pool. Lots of kids.

The hotel is beautiful with a large koi pond in the center of it.

The rooms are just 'ok'. Nothing to write home about and not extremely clean. Both times we stayed the carpets were very dirty, which unfortunately leaves a bad odor in the room - kind of a musty smell. They DO NOT have roll aways - so be prepared if you are bringing the kids. We had a king size bed and the living area had a full size sofa bed. My teenage sons refused to sleep in the same bed so one of them slept on the couch cushions on the floor.

We stayed almost for free using our Hilton Hhonors points.

Great place to stay in San Diego

by TripAdvisor Member dvdcrow

Stayed here for three days in mid-August and loved it. The room was nice, and the hotel staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. The breakfast was great, with a variety of items, even eggs and omelettes cooked to order. We also enjoyed the daily manager's cocktail reception. Best of all, this hotel was ideally located. It was across the street from Seaport Village, where there are many shops and restaurants, and it was within walking distance of the Gaslamp District. We were able to see the city on foot without any trouble. Yes, we paid to valet park our car, but you'd do that at any nice hotel in a major city. We loved it and would stay here again.

Great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member martdm

We stayed at the Embassy Suites from 9/1/05 - 9/5/05. We arrived very late at night but were still quickly serviced by the valet & the front desk staff.

The suite itself is typical of other Embassy suites with a living room area consisting of couch, chair, coffee table, dining table with four chairs, and a television console. The wall leading to the bathroom hallway had a service counter with a small kitchen sink, coffee maker, and both microwave and refrigerator housed below. The bathroom was standard with plenty of towels, bath products, and other necessities. The hallway outside provided another sink and plenty of counter space. The bedroom was also standard with a king sized bed, nightstands, desk, and an armoire housing the TV and storage facilities. All was clean and not shabby.

Because my husband must stay connected to his business while traveling, we did make use of the high-speed internet and he found it to be woefully inadequate. It was slower than a dial up connection and the connection dropped regularly. It was so bad that he actually had to seek out and sign up for a national brand wireless service just to get some work done in a timely manner.

The breakfast buffet is good and has plenty of variety and cooked to order items. The Pacific Fish Co. restaurant was good although the service, while pleasant, was a bit disorganized.

The location is great with both the tourist trolley and the metropolitan trolley service within a few blocks. Seaport Village is a block or so away, the Embarcadero just beyond that, and Horton Plaza is about six blocks away. There are plenty of great restaurants and shops well within walking distance. We used the car to visit the zoo, Balboa Park, La Jolla, Coronado Island, and Old Town and had no problems navigating with the great directions provided by the valets. With the exception of Sunday AM (when it seemed many parties were checking out and the loading zone was backed up significantly) we did not wait more than a few minutes for our car to be brought around. The valet parking service is $22 per night, which is a pretty typical and reasonable price for a metropolitan location in my experience.

All in all, we were quite happy with our stay here. Embassy Suites isn't plush, but it's a step above a typical hotel room both in size and services provided onsite. It's a good, clean hotel in a great location and I'd recommend it for anyone looking to visit San Diego for tourism purposes.

Needs to improve

by TripAdvisor Member sk9758

Just returned from San Diego and chose to stay at the Embassy Suites this time. The location is very good and is within walking distance of the Convention Center. The airport shuttle staff are the best ones in the hotel and were extremely polite and helpful as were the valet parking staff. However 22 bucks for valet parking is quite steep for this category of accommodation. The 5 star Marriott Marina charges only 18 $ as does the Grand Hyatt. I have mixed opinions of the staff of the hotel. When I called them the first time to inquire about the high speed internet in the rooms, I was told by a most probably confused telephone operator that it was 24 dollars for 24 hours. I assumed she was not in the right mood and called up a few hours later where a cheerful staff member said it was complimentary. Upon check in, the receptionist said it was not complimentary but 9.95$ per 24 hour usage of wireless high speed internet. I agree with the previous review that it was extremely frustrating at times and had to restart my lap top several items in order to log into the system. An hour prior to arrival, on my way from LA, I had called up the hotel to request a top floor bay view room and was told there were none available for the day. An hour later when I checked in, I was told there were several available. Being a diamond HHonors VIP, I assumed they would give me the best one but received a room with very poor view. The next day I was given a much better one with very good view which was definitely available the night I had checked. The rooms are very much showing its age and in dire need of renovation. Carpets were sticky and musty and I had to call up the maintenance to clean up the mess from a dripping refrigerator. The housekeeping staff had placed a bath towel inside the fridge to help things tide and didn’t remove it even after I had checked in. The breakfast buffet was plentiful and the staff very pleasant indeed. And yes, I must definitely mention that the city has a great number of trains whistling and chugging their way through downtown. Unbelievable really! I had read previous reviews but couldn’t believe my ears until I was literally hearing it several times. I even heard it from the rooms of the Grand Hyatt hotel so there’s literally no escape! Overall I would give it a just fair review and I do not think I would stay again in the same property were I to visit San Diego in the near future unless the hotel undergoes a dramatic renovation.

Lobby, Embassy Suites, San Diego BayLobby, Embassy Suites, San Diego Bay

View from our room, Embassy Suites San Diego BayView from our room, Embassy Suites San Diego Bay

San Diego hotel room for 5

by kay421

I'm planning a trip to San Diego next spring break and am trying to find a hotel room that will accommodate 5 family members. Don't want to pay for two separate rooms. Am thinking of Hilton San Diego Resort in Mission Bay or Paradise Point. Does anyone know if they can accomodate 5? If not, any suggestions? Thanks.

by spartan

Hi,

How about the Embassy Suites properties? They are 2-room suites and one is located near Seaport Village.

Spartan

by Aimdogg

Well, since you will be spending little time in your room in SD, why not go for Motel 6? They are reasonable and always very clean and they could care less how many people are in the room!!

by travelgourmet

The Quality Suites will accommodate five with an extra bed. Located near the Gaslamp Quarter. See website: www.qualityinnsandiego.com

Re: Re: San Diego hotel room for 5

by travelgirl3

I'd also recommend the Embassy Suites San Diego Bay. We were there last month, and it was fabulous. The room has 2 queen beds, plus a pull-out sofa in the 'sitting room', which also had a microwave and small fridge. Cooked to order breakfast and a daily managers cocktail party from 5 til 7 are also included in the rate. Its right near Gaslamp and Seaport village, and there are tons of places to walk to from there.

Feel free to check out my San Diego page for pics of the hotel & info on things to do in the area.

Enjoy San Diego!

by kay421

Thanks everyone. I think I'll go with Embassy Suites. Can't wait to get there!

Comments