Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown

Tags

Study Abroad Beaches Budget Travel
See Amenities
moviegal226's Profile Photo

Noisy Hotel, Too Close to Train Tracks!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 17, 2012

I just returned from my first (and probably last) stay at the Hampton Inn San Diego downtown. I was in town for Comic-Con and this was one of the approved convention hotels. I'm a loyal Hilton hotels fan and this Hampton Inn had the classic, comfortable rooms I've come to expect from this brand as well as the stellar service, but the HUGE problem with this hotel is the train noise -- and you can't change the location.

I am NOT a light sleeper by any means, but I feel like I must echo this point: the trains and the track crossing gate are OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD and will KEEP YOU AWAKE ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT. When I checked in, I specifically requested a room "away from the train tracks." The front desk clerk was friendly and told me that she indeed had me in a room that was far from the tracks. I was so happy about that and the room was on the supposed "quiet side" of the hotel. If my room was on the quiet side, I'd hate to see what a room on the loud side would be like! It was the absolutely most uncomfortable (noise-wise) hotel room I've ever had anywhere in the world.

The problem is that the hotel is feet away from the city trolley track which also serves Amtrak passenger trains AND huge freight trains 24 hours a day. There is a train crossing directly behind the property so every time a trolley or train blows by, the cacophonous "clang clang clang clang clang" and flashing red lights make quite a ruckus. Once the city trolley stops running, there's a little peace a quiet...until you are awakened multiple times a night at 2 am or 3 am or 4 am by CONSTANT LOUD TRAIN HORNS blowing and blowing and blowing, followed by the startling horror that perhaps the Hogwarts Express is rumbling DIRECTLY THROUGH YOUR HOTEL ROOM. It is HORRIBLE. I don't care if there's going to be a quiet zone to silence the horns (which the date of effect apparently keeps changing), that won't stop the dang crossing lights and gate from clanging whenever a train passes by. It is miserable and I did not get a good night's sleep for the entire 3 nights I stayed at this property. The train horns are absolutely obnoxious, and a big part of a hotel is location, location, location.

As a side note, at least the trolley station is convenient and for $5 you can ride all day long! There's not much around the hotel but there is a Mexican restaurant next door and a Rite Aid a block away. The Convention Center was a bit farther than I expected and took about 25 minutes to walk there. After a long convention day, that was a bit too much for my feet! The convention shuttle bus was easy and took a little less time to use. Also, our shuttle line was never that crowded as compared to the other convention shuttles. This would be a great hotel if you were taking a cruise since the cruise ship terminal is within very close walking distance. (But don't expect to get much rest as a result of the train tracks).

The rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. The bathroom had one sink with a large vanity and a shower only (no tub). The carpet was clean and the decor was modern and updated. The hotel is a U-shape that overlooks an internal concrete courtyard so be sure to keep your draperies closed for privacy -- I could clearly see into the rooms across the courtyard. Complimentary internet access was nice, as was the free breakfast in the morning (I didn't eat breakfast but I did check it out to see what was served -- your usual carb-heavy stuff: waffles, toast, cereal, coffee, juice). I would've liked it if the rooms had in-room refrigerators but that was no big deal. I loved that my room was cool and the a/c worked properly. There was no annoying regulator or motion sensor on the a/c temperature so we could keep it as cold as we wanted. I really hate those hotels that don't let you set the room cool enough or have a unit that shuts off in the middle of the night. No problems here, we had a nice, cool icebox of a room! I didn't have a car but I heard other guests complain about the tiny parking garage and lack of parking spots. Apparently there is an overflow parking lot across the street, but that just screams that the property has inadequate parking for its guests.

The best part of this hotel is the staff! Every single person I dealt with, from maintenance to the front desk, was super friendly and welcoming. Always smiling and always helpful, I truly felt like part of the family whenever I walked in the door. They even had warm cookies at the desk in the afternoon (and free coffee in the lobby at all hours). The sad thing is that I liked just about everything about this hotel but you can't change the location and its subsequent annoying train noise. A hotel is supposed to be a place where you can rest and relax after a long day. Because of the proximity to the train tracks and crossing gate and the noise that prohibited me from sleeping through the night, I left the hotel feeling less-than-rested or rejuvenated. And for that reason, I can't recommend it.

Unique Quality: Friendly staff.

SergioT123's Profile Photo

San Diego best hotel for location and prices

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 27, 2008

Pretty good place to stay with a free breakfast in the morningtime. Shuttle services to the events which was really cool cause we didnt have a car whilst there.

Unique Quality: shuttle servie to events during certain times of the year

mcbut385's Profile Photo

Affordable Accomodations

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 3, 2007

The hotel was quiet, clean, VERY affordable (I think I paid $69/night!), and the rooms were nicely decorated. The only problem was a missed wake-up call, which potentially could have ruined the day; the alarm clocks did work though.

Unique Quality: The shuttle driver was so very nice. While he drove us to the hotel, he advised us that after hours when there was not as many airport pick-ups he could take guests on a "mini-tour" through the downtown area of San Diego. And, just as he promised, the driver took a few guests through downtown. He pointed out a bunch of great restaurants, and other local attractions downtown. This all took place on Halloween night, and it was very busy in downtown San Diego. The "tour" really made the night & the stay something memorable.

Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo

Economical and Convenient to the City

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 1, 2005

The hotel is located on Pacific Highway South only a block off of the waterfront and all of the great activities there. The decor is reminiscent of the 50s but I am sure the hotel is newer than that. I stayed there for 3 weeks in September of 2004. I liked the location because it was more centrally located than most yet not terribly expensive. Parking is very limited in downtown San Diego so I would leave my car at the hotel and take the hotel van into the heart of the city for the evening and then take a cab back.

Unique Quality: There is an outdoor pool that is protected from the wind and exposed to the sun up until late afternoon. The hotel offers free high speed internet and wireless which was very reliable (Cox Communications) and breakfast is complimentary. There is a business center for copying and computer use. Parking is $10/night unless you are Diamond level in Hilton Honors and then it is free. Warning: The parking garage is extremely difficult to use because they have crammed so many slots into it.

Directions: Located at the corner of Beech and Pacific Highway about a mile west of I-5 near the waterfront.

Nearby Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown

Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown

• San Diego Hampton Inn
  • Hampton Inn San Diego - Downtown Hotel San Diego

Address: 1531 Pacific Coast Highway, San Diego, California, 92101, United States

1 Photo of Hampton Inn San Diego Downtown

• Continental Breakfast
  • Shuttle Service
  • Free High Speed Internet

San Diego Travel Forum

Need advice about San Diego, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Diego and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Diego hotel reviews