Handlery Hotel And Resort

Price and Rating Equal to similar hotels

See Hotels with Better Ratings

Credit Card Fraud

by written on January 10, 2012

I booked a room at the Handlery Hotel through their website for 6/24/11 but on the day of the reservation I called to confirm and was told that I did not have a reservation and the hotel was booked. I turned around and went home. I was surpised to see a charge for $156.38 on my next credit card statement, so I tried to settle this with the hotel, but they refused to refund me, saying that I no showed on a reservation. Irate, I decided to get my credit card company to reverse the charge. The hotel fought me vehemently. Finally, I posted a negative review on Yelp and got an email from the general manager, Pete Lassalette, who assured me that the money would be refunded. It was, and then was promptly REBILLED. My guess is the company cancelled my reservation when they realized they could book the hotel to higher paying guests, then charged me for a no show. This is a clear case of credit card fraud. Caveat emptor.

Not a peacful stay...

by written on August 11, 2009

Since May 2009, workers have regularly picketed outside this hotel, making lots of noise. This picketing comes as a result of hotel's unwillingness to treat its workers fairly with adequate wages, pension plans and healthcare benefits. Because of this labor dispute these workers have worked with a contract since November 2007!

As a customer, you have the ability to do the right thing and not fuel the injustice in our community.

Not a peace...

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 11, 2009

Since May 2009, workers have regularly picketed outside this hotel, making lots of noise. This picketing comes as a result of hotel’s unwillingness to treat its workers fairly with adequate wages, pension plans and healthcare benefits. Because of this labor dispute these workers have worked with a contract since November 2007! Hotel Management’s final offer was a twenty cent raise over two years. If you're looking for a place to have a calm and relaxing vacation and you do not want to cross a picket line, DO NOT stay here. As workers continue to work without a fair contract, the dispute will continue to escalate as will actions, picketing and demonstrations outside of the hotel.

Lensmeister's Profile Photo

Superb, Wonderful, Thank You.

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 17, 2007

Ok we stayed her back in 2001 and I didn't write a good enough review as I could have. In July/Aug 2006 we stayed here again. During the course of our stay my wife was taken ill and they were VERY helpful on a Sunday morning to help me drive her to hospital (she is ok now) Then four days later I was taken very ill. At 2am they called me an ambulance and were wonderful in helping us. They offered a baby sitter for our kids, but there was no need as my Mum was looking after them.

On another note the PostCards resturant has been re staffed and they are nicer and the breakfasts were good value.

Only one complaint. Over the course of our stay there was a family gathering and they seem to take over the pool with loud music eating and behaving rudely. I would have liked to see a member of staff come and maybe ask the offenders to calm down a little.

I RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL EVERYTIME !

If you are in San Diego THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE I WANT TO GO BACK TO !

Unique Quality: The Staff deserve awards for their professional attitude. I am impressed by the staff.

Pool area was clean and tidy at all times.

The Rooms were bright and clean.

Directions: I8 freeway - 10 minutes drive from Old Town.

Lensmeister's Profile Photo

San Diego - Hotel

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 15, 2005

We stayed here for two weeks in 2001. Great place to stay; pool clean, great location for getting around.

Unique Quality: Pool and pool area was lovely clean and tidy. People on the reception were kind and helpful.

a Minus was the service in the attached resturant at breakfast - rude and off hand waiter (So bad we refused to leave a tip and didn't eat there again).

Directions: Not far from Old Town and Mission Valley Mall.

dila's Profile Photo

nice hotel handlery

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 8, 2004

parking $8 every day
check in 15.00
check out 12.00
breakfast was good was around $10 each

Unique Quality: you need a car to the attraction or the centre.
the man at the attraction desk told us to take a trolleytour.we did do that. i still dont know if that was worth the money.
so do the trolley tour only if you are there already in the morning. so you can see much.

Nearby Handlery Hotel And Resort

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

San Diego Travel Forum

Need advice about San Diego, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Diego and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Diego hotel reviews