Handlery Hotel And Resort

Handlery Hotel San Diego
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Credit Card Fraud

I booked a room at the Handlery Hotel through their website for 6/24/11 but on the day of the reservation I called to confirm and was told that I did not have a reservation and the hotel was booked. I turned around and went home. I was surpised to see a charge for $156.38 on my next credit card statement, so I tried to settle this with the hotel, but they refused to refund me, saying that I no showed on a reservation. Irate, I decided to get my credit card company to reverse the charge. The hotel fought me vehemently. Finally, I posted a negative review on Yelp and got an email from the general manager, Pete Lassalette, who assured me that the money would be refunded. It was, and then was promptly REBILLED. My guess is the company cancelled my reservation when they realized they could book the hotel to higher paying guests, then charged me for a no show. This is a clear case of credit card fraud. Caveat emptor.

• Not a peacful stay...

Since May 2009, workers have regularly picketed outside this hotel, making lots of noise. This picketing comes as a result of hotel's unwillingness to treat its workers fairly with adequate wages, pension plans and healthcare benefits. Because of this labor dispute these workers have worked with a contract since November 2007!

As a customer, you have the ability to do the right thing and not fuel the injustice in our community.

• Not a peace...

Since May 2009, workers have regularly picketed outside this hotel, making lots of noise. This picketing comes as a result of hotel’s unwillingness to treat its workers fairly with adequate wages, pension plans and healthcare benefits. Because of this labor dispute these workers have worked with a contract since November 2007! Hotel Management’s final offer was a twenty cent raise over two years. If you're looking for a place to have a calm and relaxing vacation and you do not want to cross a picket line, DO NOT stay here. As workers continue to work without a fair contract, the dispute will continue to escalate as will actions, picketing and demonstrations outside of the hotel.

• Lensmeister's Profile Photo

Superb, Wonderful, Thank You.

Ok we stayed her back in 2001 and I didn't write a good enough review as I could have. In July/Aug 2006 we stayed here again. During the course of our stay my wife was taken ill and they were VERY helpful on a Sunday morning to help me drive her to hospital (she is ok now) Then four days later I was taken very ill. At 2am they called me an ambulance and were wonderful in helping us. They offered a baby sitter for our kids, but there was no need as my Mum was looking after them.

On another note the PostCards resturant has been re staffed and they are nicer and the breakfasts were good value.

Only one complaint. Over the course of our stay there was a family gathering and they seem to take over the pool with loud music eating and behaving rudely. I would have liked to see a member of staff come and maybe ask the offenders to calm down a little.

I RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL EVERYTIME !

If you are in San Diego THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE I WANT TO GO BACK TO !

Unique Quality: The Staff deserve awards for their professional attitude. I am impressed by the staff.

Pool area was clean and tidy at all times.

The Rooms were bright and clean.

Directions: I8 freeway - 10 minutes drive from Old Town.

• Lensmeister's Profile Photo

San Diego - Hotel

We stayed here for two weeks in 2001. Great place to stay; pool clean, great location for getting around.

Unique Quality: Pool and pool area was lovely clean and tidy. People on the reception were kind and helpful.

a Minus was the service in the attached resturant at breakfast - rude and off hand waiter (So bad we refused to leave a tip and didn't eat there again).

Directions: Not far from Old Town and Mission Valley Mall.

• dila's Profile Photo

nice hotel handlery

parking $8 every day
    check in 15.00
    check out 12.00
    breakfast was good was around $10 each

Unique Quality: you need a car to the attraction or the centre.
    the man at the attraction desk told us to take a trolleytour.we did do that. i still dont know if that was worth the money.
    so do the trolley tour only if you are there already in the morning. so you can see much.

More about Handlery Hotel And Resort

Avoid the Handlery

by TripAdvisor Member BCMSW06

We just go back from six nights at the Handlery Hotel and Resort. First, I have no clue why the name resort is included, since I have stayed at many resorts and the Handlery certaintly did not elude a resort like atmosphere. I booked the hotel on priceline, which was my mistake. I thought that saving money on the hotel would allow me to spend more money on other activites. BIG MISTAKE!!!! However, I have booked on priceline before and had no problems (the key to priceline in my opinion, is bid for only 4 star properties). The Handlery looks like a 1960's motel. The rooms are tiny and the linens are not plush at all, the comforters had stains and pulls all over them. The rugs had plenty of stains and I had to wear flip flops at all times because I was afraid I would catch a discusting fungus. The bathroom was awfully small and had no character to it at all. People always say, "we'll its just a place to stay" yes, that is true to some extent but I believe a bad hotel can set a tone on your vacation. I avoided my room at all costs to avoid a bout of depression. For example, a foot print was on my sheets when I pulled the covers down. Bottom line I felt dirty at the hotel and would never stay at the Handlery again. I have family who live in San Diego and they say that its in a great location, which is true, but I don't care. Pay the extra money and stay downtown at the hyatt or the westin. In fact I have heard nothing but great reviews of the Omni. Two big thumbs down for the Handlery.... I agree with a previous review... the Handlery is prime real estate, level the piece of junk and build a new hotel that meets the expectations of discerning travelers.

Just stay somewhere else, please

by TripAdvisor Member Spectrowax

Stayed one night at the Handlery Hotel, if that is what they want call it, on 1/29/05. Booked the hotel through Priceline and got it for $50. plus tax. Then I read the reviews of this establishment. We expected the worst and braced for the $8.00 parking fee.

In former life, say 40 years ago, the hotel must have been a fabulous place. Even with the updates of decor, restaurant and in-room renovations, this is NOT a hotel and resort. It feels like an old Best Western.

Upon checking in during the late afternoon, we found the staff to be OK. Not extremely professional - a little too casual, reminded me of indifferent high school kids that don't take their part time jobs real seriously. They seemed to "busy" hanging out in the back room behind the counter and chit-chatting.

The room was clean and the sheets were clean but smelled too much of deodorizer. Sheer curtains had holes and weirdly, there were four small dents in the wall over the bed. As if someone bagged on the wall with a heavy object to tell the neighbors to be quiet? Who knows? There was a discarded dinner tray in the hallway for a number of hours.

The parking situation and fee is a scam. We were prepared to show our ticket each time we drove out of the parking lot. The guard just opened the gate, not checking anything. It was when we checked out the next morning that we realized that they must charge arbitrarily.

At check out we learned that we were charged $2.25 for a couple of local calls. We started to complain about the parking fee too and the woman at the desk quickly said, "You have not been charged for parking and I replied, "OK, so you are not going to charge us for parking, thats fine." Her facial expression seemed to convey that she was doing us a favor. Either that or she knew that is just a scam, and if you don't say anything they will charge you. There is just no reason for this establishment to charge this fee. They are outside of a city and off of a major highway.

We went to breakfast at the Waffle House, which is located inside the Kings Hotel on the south side of hotel circle. Now this is an old hotel too, but what a HUGE different in customer service and professionalism. We walked into the lobby to get to the restaurant and the woman at the front desk smiled and greeted us pleasantly. Try a blueberry waffle, it was really tasty.

There must be a huge disconnect between the "family" that owns the hotel and the managers that run this "hotel and resort" and the staff who don't seem to really care much about hospitality and the industry they work in. Too bad, this could be a real kitschy, cool retro modern hotel but instead it presents itself as a bus station.

No frills but good stay, I'd stay again

by TripAdvisor Member Trip123abc

Reading the reviews you'd think people were expecting the Four Seasons. This is an adequate hotel for short stays - clean, decent size, no problems. Staff was very courteous. Easy to get to from highway and prices are good - especially using Priceline.

needs a complete renovation!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member bunbear

While this hotel is listed as a 3 star hotel....don't be deceived.It needs total renovation.The air conditioner was so noisy,we couln't sleep.The smallest room we've ever stayed in.A total dissappointment!

Very good hotel with a great location.

Being from San Diego originally, I knew exactly where this hotel was located and it is perfect for someone wanting to be central in San Diego. Right on one of the main freeways it is so easy to get wherever you want to go. No problems with traffic noise either!
Our room was clean and a good size. Lovely pool and gym. Do not be put off by some of the bad reviews on this hotel.

Handlery hotel

by puprules4me

Handlery hotel Stinks or not, good 4 familys???

Re: Handlery hotel

by ghosthunter

Have never been but for reviews you cannot beat tripadvisor :
www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=Handlery+hotel&sub-search=Go

Re: Handlery hotel

by lmkluque

It would depend on what you are expecting.

The Handlery Hotel was origionally the Stardust and it is located at Hotel Circle in Mission Valley.

It's a resort type hotel and it should be family friendly enough.

Comments