Hilton San Diego Resort

Travelocity Booking.com Tingo.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• Cham's Profile Photo

All in one

The hotel is situated in a very green area with a boat/jetski hire place out the back, and a path for jogging that's a few miles long. The scenery here is amazing so the surroundings of this hotel really make it special.

The service is very good and in the lobby there's a free wi-fi connection. The restaurant is a little expensive but it is the hilton and the food is pretty good and healthy (which was a joy to eat after all the franchised places there are). There's a large pool and tennis courts basketball courts and a gym all on the site, even a hot tub which is great in the evening as there are a lot of worn out parents there.

The rooms themselves were decorated in true californian style... loudly... and the rooms looked a little dated but everything was clean and was nice. I think maybe rooms like these and the hyatt are luxurious but i've been travelling to the middle east where 3-4 star hotels are amazing so i think maybe i'm tainted in that respect...

one thing that suprised me though is that the hotels were very open to the public... to get to the rooms you didn't need to go through the reception in fact the reception is in another part of the building, so i'm not sure how good security is here.

Unique Quality: definately the surrounding areas of this place are amazing, the paths that many people jog walk or roller blade along are great for scenery and meeting people. festival island is just across the water at the back which is uninhabited so people tend ot go there in the evening to have barbeques and sit by the fires etc.

More about Hilton San Diego Resort

Its not flawless, but its close

Stayed 3 nights at the Hilton San Diego Resort, November 11-14 right on the marina. Paid $70/night on Priceline and got a Villa garden room, standard 1st floor room with private patio. Very nice grounds, $14/day parking, 5 minutes from Mission Beach, 5 minutes from San Diego airport and such amazing service. Wonderful workers and great secluded grounds even though it was so close to the freeway. I definetely recommend this hotel. The beds are very comfortable and the bathroom and room itself was very clean. The bathroom tiles show just a slight mold stain from age, but I still took a shower barefoot and felt clean - usually I wear shower shoes with nasty floors. The room had a slight odor, but for the price I paid it was paradise. I stayed at Disneyland for the rest of my vacation and actually was homesick for the Hilton. The rooms were much more quality here. I dont know what the towers were like, but apparently the rooms are bigger. The front desk upon check in told me that I would probably prefer the villas. It would feel more like a resort than the towers. I would definetely be happy staying here again :)

Great child friendly hotel, we had a great time

We stayed at the hotel for the 4th July weekend and had a great time. We have 3 children under the age of five and they had a great time. There was lots of activities planed for small children including licensed bonded child care and kids clubhouse. The buffet meals in the resturant were wonderful with great views of the bay. Room service for extra towels, pillows, and a highchair was fast and friendly. We did not have to pay for parking, I don't know what that other guy is talking about. Our room was clean and had child safety locks on the balcony doors. The pool was fun they had a kids pool for small children and an adult pool. It was steps from the sandy beach were the kids could build sand castles, swim and play. There was also a snack bar pool side. Only minutes away from sea world. Very child friendly hotel. I would definetly go back we had a very good experience. Sure I agree the bedspreads and TV in the room were outdated but who's staying there to spend time in your room, I thought it was very clean and spacious, great views and lots to do. To me thats more important.

FANTASTIC HOTEL!!!!

Our family spent 4 nights here last month and enjoyed every minute of it! My daughter (14 years old) enjoyed hanging out at the pool and drinking fruit smoothies, offered at the poolside Cabana. My son (8 years old) joined the kids club here and enjoyed using the hotel pool toys and games. He also liked hanging out in the game room arcade. The restaurant here was very nice, and the food was very good and offered at a reasonable price.
Our room was very nice as well. If you want a view of the bay, you will need to ask for a room on the 5th floor and up. This was our 2nd time here, and we had a very nice stay again. I would recommend this hotel for families, as well as the business travelers. You won't be dissappointed!

Overpriced, shabby rooms, nice resort

We arrived late for an overnight here. They had screwed up our reservation and we had 4 adults and two toddlers in a room with one bed and two cribs. The night security guard and desk clerk were very helpful and helped us schlep all our luggage from one end of the hotel to the other to a room that fit our original reservation for 2 beds and 2 cribs. The bathroom was very small and the room looked like it needed a refurb, being rather worn with an ancient HVAC system. It was very humid and the AC could not deal with it so we were cool and clammy, rather than cool. Shockingly, the beds were only double, not queen. The grounds around the facility and resort property were very nice and there was a lot to do. If you could stay here for the "amenities" and get it under $200 a night it might be worth it. Otherwise I would look at other "resort" type facilities in the area as you could likely do better.

Enjoyable, relaxing and full of outdoor activities!

We just completed a 5 day stay at the Hilton resort in San Diego. It was wonderful! There are a lot of outdoor activities to do there, rent kayaks, bikes, aqua cycles, sailboats, gliders...and the fees are reasonable. After all, you are on Fiesta island! The bike riding paths are long and run almost all the way around the isle. Hilton pretty much owns all the property and it is well cared for. The grounds are carefully manicured. Hotel staff is knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. If you can get the Full Breakfast included (such as in the Bounceback rate) then DO IT!---and get the FULL BREAKFAST SERVED TO YOU AT THE RESTAURANT as the service is top-notch, food high quality and hot.--Don't get the buffet, not much variety and food is cold. Also, try to get a garden villa room (rather than the tower) for the true "resort" feel. Fireworks every nite at 9:30 viewed from your room! we read all the other reviews before staying here, and we were very happy with our stay. Excellent resort! Thanks!

Above average Hotel, good for kids.

1) Our family stayed 2 nights with the bay-view rooms (2nd floor) steps to the sand, in front of our room is the rental place for the sailboats, power boats, etc... Few feet away is the restaurant.
Room location is excellent, we saw fireworks (Seaworld ?)on both nights.
2) Room furnitures, carpet ... is so so, TV is tiny 21" (?). Room service forgot the shampoo and didn't clean our room until 4PM. Not listed is the $9.99/day for DSL internet.
3) Power boat rental is a rif-off place. They didn't show us the propleller condition (it's under water)
before check out but after return it, they check for sea-weeds and charge us $300.00 extra for "damaging" the propeller (?). Be aware !
4) Overall, it's OK but it's an old hotel, not 4 or 5 stars. Good for Kids.

Hilton Resort was GREAT!

As a seasoned traveler, I couldn't have been more pleased with this Hilton Resort. My 11, 9, 9, and 6 y.o. boys loved the pool area, and the location was INCREDIBLE - close to everything!! Most of all, the ENTIRE staff was friendly and helpful. The concierge staff was unbelievable, with great tips, last minute reservations, and great directions. The rooms were fine, and we had a good deal, but ended up with a nice view also. I think parking charges are ridiculous, but had no problem finding a place late at nite, on Labor Day weekend!

Great resort, rooms okay

The location and resort are wonderful. Minutes from Sea World and right on the beach. Resort offers activities (boat rentals, wave runners, water trikes, etc) or you can relax on the beach or in the pool. They also have a great kiddie pool. I especially liked the poolside cabana which offered drinks and food. The rooms are okay. THey are clean but they are in need of renovation. Would return to this hotel. If you are looking for a beach atmosphere and you are not going to spend a lot of time in the hotel room, this place is great.

Rooms are an homage to 80's design

The hotel shows well in the public areas. Room was large but very dated. Bathroom was small and very dingy and felt unclean. Maid didnt seem to do very much in the room and it was hit and miss as to whether you got toileteries or not. After a four night stay the bathroom appeared to be getting dirty. Parking is a rip off. $10 to self park and hotel is not even in city centre. Fridge in room was a nice touch. Location is good for sea world however its a good 15 minute drive into the city centre. Health club has to be paid for which seemed like a bit of a rip off as its a resort hotel. Would use the hotel again but would not have such high expectations.

Hotel and nightlife help!

by sazkia

Hello!!

I'm wanting to stay in San Diego for a couple of nights and I'm looking for a cheap but clean hotel in the heart of SD. Location is key as i wanna be where the atmosphere/nightlife is, however i wanna be somewhere safe too.

Any suggestions would be great!

Sarah x

by HarmoniousBotch

nightlife in the heart of SD? You'll probably be happiest in the gaslamp area.

Keep in mind that southwestern US cities tend to be spread out. Often, they have no heart...ummm...ooops...let me rephrase that...often, the center or downtown is not where all the touristy thing are.

by KernelPanic

You can stay here:

You can hangout here:

You'll have to take a cab to gamlamp if you stay in Mission Bay, but it's not far.

by ltt

you can bid on priceline for a downtown hotel or there are a couple of hostles downtown too.

by lmkluque

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to VT!

As suggested already, the Gaslamp Quarter is one of the best places to be if nightlife is important to you. The only problem is that the price you'll have to pay for a room in that area is on the high side. There are two youth hostles in the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter, but I don't know how interested you would be to stay at one of those.

On Harbor Drive, near Broadway, about five blocks from the Gaslamp Quarter, is a Holiday Inn that might ask less for a night's stay. Up Harbor Drive, several more blocks is the Paradise Inn and Suites that seems to offer a pretty good deal. They often times have a special offer from their web site. It is more a "motel" than a "hotel" but seems to be good enough.

Comments