11025 Vista Sorrento Parkway, San Diego, California, 92130, United States

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Diego-Del Mar
Booking.com Tingo.com Priceline.com

• jagheter's Profile Photo

Homewood Suites Del Mar - Family friendly travel

First of all, the staff here were super friendly and helpful. I arrived several hours before checkin, and even though a room was not available, the front desk gave us a key to access the pool while we waited, which was perfect because this was the lounge by the pool day of our four day vacation. The pool is a good size for several kids to play in at the same time (my son, and five or six other kids also at the hotel), and at ~3-4 feet deep, a good depth for a five year old.

The hotel is well located for getting to Legoland and Seaworld in about 20-30 minutes, as well as Old Town San Diego. It's also very close to a train station, so it would be possible to take the train to Carlsbad or Old Town and then bus it or take a cab to the amusement parks.

It was nice to have a suite, so we could put our child to bed early and hang out in the other room.

Breakfast and dinner are served as part of the room cost. I didn't take advantage of dinner, as we were out and about most of the day. Breakfast is on par or maybe a little better than you might expect, served buffet style. They also offer happy hour.

More about Homewood Suites San Diego-Del Mar

clean, great hotel but not too near anything

by TripAdvisor Member hanlgt

I enjoyed my two day stay at this hotel. It is not really in Del Mar, as it states, but it is between La Jolla and Del Mar, off of the freeway and in a business district that is very quiet.
Homewood Suites is a nice chain and the rooms here are clean and new, and the bed was excellent, as was the shower. The little kitchen was convenient, although we didn't need to cook or re-heat anything, we did use the refrigerator and popped the popcorn they leave for you. The extra room has a fold-out couch which is good if you have kids. The pool was pleasant, although the towels they give you are small. Our room overlooked the pool from the 4th floor, and we didn't hear anything, even when there were kids playing there.

The breakfast was quite nice, with hot choices and waffles and enough seating when we went down--so even though the hotel seemed full, the breakfast area was not overcrowded. The front desk staff was very efficient and friendly. The also offer free internet and free parking. In general, we would stay here again since we had a car.

Nice Family Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member frugalguy

Highly reccomended hotel for families. I agree with most of the reviews in regards to this hotel being worth the cost. However I do have a few complaints. Currently there is construction going on adjecent to the north side of the building. During the work week it is quite noisy. It would be advised to request a room away from this side ofthe building. The rooms are very nicely decorated and have all the amenities you would need. The bedroom we had however was fairly small. We had a king size, one bedroom suite. The breakast and light dinner are very nice. My sugeestion is of you are going to do the dinner to get down there early. It is meant to be a light meal but some guests treat it like an all you can eat buffet. The drive is a little tricky because there is lots of construction going on in the area. We found some quicker routes than the ones suggested on Mapquest. The hotel directions were more up to date than the ones we found on mapquest also. Overall nice hotel and would probably stay here again.

Consistently meets or exceeds my expectations....

by TripAdvisor Member ddarling

I travel to San Diego nearly once a month from Northern California on state business.

I stayed at this hotel when it first opened and knew it was a real gem. The staff during breakfast as well as dinner were so nice, I thought it might have been just the "newness" of the property, but I have to say, the staff is just as warm and friendly today than they were the first week they opened!

The rooms are great, you couldn't want for anything more. Internet is free, which is a real bonus and the exercise room has an eliptical, a treadmill and a bicycle, and a weight bench with free weights. Recently, they have added an exercise ball and a yoga mat and a band. It isn't high tech and it isn't huge, but it definitely meets my needs and it is nice and cool.

I see both families and business folks here. This is a great place for families and for the most part, the kids seem to be pretty well behaved and not running amuck like I see a lot of times in hotels that attract families.

There is a business center that has two computers and two printers...for last minute mapquest directions--it's great!

I am not a big fan of breakfast and usually bring protein bars with me, but I like to add fresh fruit with it and they always have a nice bowl of fresh cut fruit in the morning. They have two waffle machines and usually eggs/bacon/ham and/or sausage and gravy. I would love to eat that stuff but I would need to come back upstairs and take a nap. I usually grab some fruit and out the door I go!

When they first opened, they had domestic beer--not worth the calories in my book. Not so long ago, they switched that out with Firestone, on tap no less! It is really a good microbrewery that now I have to save calories for....argh! I am not the slightest tempted with Bud or Miller, but Firestone....you bet! Good job Homewood! Now that is icing on the cake!

There is a Von's grocery store less than a mile away for anything you may need. All rooms have a full refrigerator, two range stove top and a microwave with all the dishes/flatware that you need.

If I come to San Diego and am unable to get into this hotel, my week on the road is not the same!

Maids don't like to work

by TripAdvisor Member Spunky4123

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks for a business conference in April. Let me tell you, save your money and go elsewhere! My bed was not comfortable, I had no refrigerator or microwave, and they wanted to charge me $1 for a packet of coffee each day...at least they provided the coffee pot, but it was useless without coffee. The maids didn't seem to want to work. One of my towels was covered in hair (not the good kind) one day and I took another shower and threw the old one on the ground. When I came home from my conference, the maid had placed the same towel back on the rack....why? I will never know. My co-worker said his maid hung up his wet towel back on the towel rack. Every day I made breakfast in my room, and the maid wouldn't clean out my glasses. She simply put a new plastic cover on it every day, filthy. The iron stand fell and broke when I opened it up, and then the iron spit black debris all over my shirt, and I was forced to re-wash it and iron another shirt in my co-workers room. I would never stay here again, but that is my opinion...hopefully other guests get better service.

Good for both business and family

by TripAdvisor Member wondermnd

Just returned for a week at the hotel during spring break with the family. Hotel was crowded but then it is spring break week so it is to be expected. There were a lot of families there but the place was quiet enough. The hotel is excellent for families with small kids as the breakfast and dinners they serve is excellent for us with a 6 and a 3 year old.

The business center was very useful. Printing and faxing were both free - something other big hotel chains can learn from. Internet was also free, no annoying surcharges.

I thought the rooms were adequately set up. It was good enough for our purpose. We experienced no issues with the maid as some reported.

The staff was also very helpful and friendly. I encountered nothing but people with the focus on customer service in mind. Very pleased.

Hotel is a bit out of the way from downtown SD. But being next to I5 it was convenient to all the major locations within 1/2 hr. There is a lack of good restaurants in the area however.

Home from home in San Diego

There are some minor downsides for this hotel. The location is not the easiest to find and it's a 20 min drive from attractions like Sea World. The pool isn't ideal for sunbathing (it didn't matter to us since it was overcast the entire week we stayed there!)

There has been mention of the building work next door. We had the closest room to the building site (101) and it didn't bother us at all.

Overall, however, its all good news. Front desk staff are very helpful. The rooms are spacious with a kitchenette with 2 electric rings and a full sized fridge. Big TV in both lounge and bedroom. 2 good sized doubles in the bedroom and a fold out sleeper in the living room.

Theres a VONS a few miles away if you fancy shopping for serious cooking. However, with the meal options available there seemed little point. The front desk has directions to nearby restaurants - theres a big choice within a 15 min drive of the property.

There's a breakfast each morning with a range of toast, cereals, yoghurts plus make-your-own waffles and hot items. The hot items seemed to be better Mon-Thurs when, I guess, the rates are higher. It included scrambled eggs of various kinds, bacon, corned beef hash, biscuits and gravy.

Theres also an evening reception Mon-Thurs which provided a reasonable evening meal of tacos and burgers/hot dogs during our stay. Although this may not be the fare you'd normally want it certainly helped with our budget.

There was always coffee and tea available.

The pool area is a bit shaded but very pleasant with a good hot tub. Guest towels are available.

My kids loved the business centre with free internet access and printers available to download details of attractions or Map Quest directions.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you choose this property unless you want to sunbathe a lot or if you want to be close to the centre of the city.

Another excellent Homewood Suites hotel

by TripAdvisor Member EnglishFamilyAbroad

Stayed at here for a couple of nights this month (Apr 07) whilst visiting San Diego zoo and Seaworld. Appears to be brand new, with high quality fixtures and fittings throughout and very well motivated staff, it was a joy to stay at! Tricky to find though (don't even bother using MapQuest's directions! Use Yahoo Maps or simply ask someone when you get close).

The location is actually very good for getting to places like SeaWorld (15 - 20 minute drive). Very good value for money and really lovely rooms. The hotel manager was a star, he spent most of the breakfast period helping guests find what they needed and was very friendly. Well done Homewood Suites!

Nice, but could be better for money

by TripAdvisor Member cindykay

We stayed here for a 2 day trip to San Diego. We liked the location, being out of the city, but for the price we paid you would have thought we were staying in the city. We paid $275 for a 2 bedroom suite and the hotel is a good 20 minute drive to the city. The room was nice, however the bedspreads were in dire need of replacement. Also, upon opening the sofa bed, there was an array of food items that spilled out onto the carpet. Gross! Obviously they do not clean the sofas on a regular basis. The mattress on the sofa bed was very thin.....would not be comfortable to more than a small child. The bathrooms were immaculate and very large....a nice surprise.
They provide a complimentary breakfast with various cereals, breads, yogurt and eggs/sausage. It was o.k., but we've had better at Holiday Inn Express (especially for the money we paid).
I have no complaints on the staff as far as friendliness or service. I asked the front desk for either a replacement mattress for the sofabed or a roll-away bed, and they immediately provided a roll-away (at no cost). Check-in and check-out was very easy.
Another negative.......we were awoken in the morning by the people in the next room and their t.v.. I would think that for a hotel of this caliber, the walls would be made more soundproof. Not a pleasant way to start our day!

Fantastic Homebase for San Diego Family Vacation!

by TripAdvisor Member 1CincyGirl

Our family (mom, dad, 8 and 9 year old) visited San Diego over Spring Break - this was our second "San Diego" adventure - the first time we stayed on Coronado Island - so we wanted a venue that was nearer the North Shore. What a great location!!! What a great hotel!!! I booked based on the Trip Advisor reviews. We had a 2 bed, 2 bath suite - which is the BEST when traveling with kids! The hotel staff is lovely - always helpful on where to dine. La Jolla and Del Mar are just a quick drive and there are a ton of great restaurants and shopping! The breakfast (as most people point out) is really nice, something for everyone. The hot dinners are a nice touch as well, particularly good if you're just too tired to go out for dinner! We took advantage of the "cook-out" evening - good food. The pool is smallish - but after a long day at Seaworld or the Zoo, or the Animal Park, it was just fine for the kids. Again, the hotel is spotless, staff is lovely and lots of shopping and dining action a short drive away. For us, the big draw is the 2 bed, 2 bath Suite! Great homebase for any San Diego journey!

We Like Homewood Suites

by TripAdvisor Member wonderfulworld

We stayed at this place for two nights in April, 2007.

We had a one-bedroom suite with a very comfortable king bed, a living room with kitchen, and a large bath.

Everything about the room is well thought out, making it a pleasant place to relax.

The staff was extremely pleasant and the included breakfast is much above average with hot and cold options and fresh fruit.

The one draw back is that the hotel is located about eleven miles north of San Diego in an industrial park with no restaurants or other business within walking distance.

Fortunately a brand new exit makes access to I-5 very easy.

Comments