Hostel Cat

1401 E Street, Unit C, San Diego, California, 92101, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about San Diego

In one of our favorite restaurants on the water!In one of our favorite restaurants on the water!

zombiezombie

the portthe port

from the Coronado Bridgefrom the Coronado Bridge

Mother and Boyfriend coming to visit me for a week in San Diego 2/24/09-3/3/09

by jrams500

I currently live in San Diego and have visited most of the major tourist attractions, but was wondering what types of places would be good for a couple in their mid 50's? They both like to have a good time and I already know they want to go to the Pechanga casino one day and also the zoo. Are there any good bars to go to downtown for their age group? I was thinking Altitude on the Marriot and Shouthouse? Any ideas on things to do?

Re: Mother and Boyfriend coming to visit me for a week in San Diego 2/24/09-3/3/09

by sufr54

I would also consider "Valley View Casino", their chef is Austrian and they brought him in from the Hyatt chain. Probably some of the best food in San Diego County.

La Jolla, Wild Animal Park, Jacks restaurant in Del Mar or the ones at Cardiff on the beach.
The Marine Room for Sunday brunch, Hotel Dell Coronado, the Old Town Trolley.

I'll ask around about the bars, I have some friends downtown in the condo's.

by lmkluque

You might consider, just in front of Seaport Village, the "Top of the Hyatt" at the Manchester Grand Hyatt. This upscale lounge offers glorious views of San Diego, especially at sunset.

As I don't know your mother's interests, I'd suggest you take her to the Gaslamp Quarter, walk around and let her decide which places attracts her attention. Croce's jazz bar might be to her liking.

Ocean Beach might be an option as it has that 1960's feel to it which could bring back memories for a time when she was young. The Maritime Museum might be an option. The price of entrance includes three or four ships on the Harbor, one of them being the Star of India.

I'd make a comment here about a typo in the previous suggestion. The name of the place is Jake's, rather than Jacks. It is in Del Mar and I agree that it is a nice place to go. The "downtown" area of Del Mar near Jake's is charming and interesting enough for the trip so it could be another thing to do for the day.

Travel Tips for San Diego

When I visited Legoland,...

by la_beba

When I visited Legoland, California for the first time I was really disappointed. It's basically a place for children to enjoy themselves, though there was nifty little things that might catch just about anybody's attention.... the thing is I just really expected more for what you pay (around $35.00 for adults and $27.00 for children) Considering that both Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farms are within two hours of Legoland, I would not spend that much money again. Both of the other theme parks offer so much more for all ages for the same or less money. But it's one of those things you gotta try at least once!
I felt the park was way over rated. However, if you are a Lego fanatic this park is definitely for you. It includes amazing replicas of many famous buildings. All of these are constructed completely out of Legos. There are miniature cities, all built to a child's height. I found that interesting. Some of the cities included Washington D.C., New York City, San Francisco, and New Orleans. You can take a short boat ride and see some other interesting replicas (Taj Mahal and the Sidney Opera House). The food available was pretty good. However, each location specialized in a certain type of food (pizza, pasta, hot dogs, hamburgers, and barbecue). In order to avoid a long walk, I would recommend that you develop a plan of where you want to eat in the morning. Plan your route around that. If you do not, you may find yourself walking to the other end of the park to eat. The food shops are spread a pretty good distance apart. The park also contains a section set up like a castle. There is a huge play area, a stage with shows, and a couple of rides. Unlike other theme parks, Legoland has fairly reasonable prices on the merchandise in their gift shops. These gift shops are very easy to find, as they are scattered throughout the park. Inside the castle the gift shops tend to keep with the theme. Be cautious, the prices inside the castle are more than that of some of the same merchandise found outside the castle. I am not saying that Legoland was bad, it was a nice day trip. However, in the location it is in, there are too many places nearby to compete with (Disney, Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios, Sea World, and many more)

The place I like best in San...

by daBertl

The place I like best in San Diego is certainly the barrio of La Jolla. Often referred to as the Beverly Hills of San Diego, but I rather see it as a beach town with style. Certainly it’s a bit pricy to have dinner over there compared to a burger place in Riverside, but it’s worth it. The beaches of La Jolla are just amazing and the surf’s got it all. All beaches are open to the public and you can hang out there as long as you want. I came to La Jolla for the first time 10 years ago more or less by accident when I drove from L.A. to S.D. and was looking for a place to stay over night. Since I sought a motel close to the beach and drove along La Jolla Blvd. I ended up staying in a small but very nice place a few blocks of the beach. It was awesome and I enjoyed it a lot. I happened to be invited to a wedding in San Diego this summer and it turned out that everything was taking place in, exactly, La Jolla. We happened to have a beach party on the exact beach I stayed 10 years ago and even went for some pre-wedding get-together to a Mexican restaurant I remembered since I did have a few Tequilas there before.

Downtown

by vigi

Walking around Gaslamp Quarter, very tousitic area. Many of them are luxury restaurants which do not fit my budget. Can you imagine San Diego is home to 6,400 restaurants?!!! We ended up taking a queue number at the "Old Spagetti Factory" with nice decoration. Coz we had to wait for 30-45mins, so, walk around a bit along the streets, checking out the quarter and found a nice fountain near to the convention center.

Almost everyone in San Diego...

by JsusFreak

Almost everyone in San Diego is polite and helpful. Since San Diego is 30 miles away from Tijuana, Mexico, you will find people from Mexico here and they are very polite and nice.

Above all, San Diego is generally a 'laid-back' sort of city.

What is that?

by matcrazy1

Look at my picture (beter enlarge it :-): I found this ??? in one anonymous yard in San Diego. What's that? Is it a clay oven/grill? Any ideas?

From my friend Chris (balfor):
It looks like the thing you saw in someone yard that looked like a clay oven is something from the southwest of the U.S. as well as from Mexico. It is called a chiminia. I suppose it could be used for cooking, but it is mostly used for warmth and so that you can have a fire to sti around in your yard! :-)
Thank you Chris for your explanations.

Comments