3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Rated 10% higher but also costs 89% more than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Hotel Indigo San Diego Gaslamp Quarter

Fabulous Experience - Can't Wait to Return

by TripAdvisor Member snorkelfish

I had the distinct pleasure of discovering this brand new hotel on a business trip last week. The staff is so friendly and I was very excited to learn of their pet friendly policy and will deffinately take advantage of that next time. The lobby was so spacious, light and airy that I felt like I was outside in the beautiful San Diego sunshine. Darren was at the front desk when I checked in an offered me a compliementary upgrade to a beautiful executive room on the 10th floor that looked out over the 9th floor terrace with a view of Petco Park. That evening I dined in the Phi Bar and Bistro on the main level; the food was excellent and the friendly nature of the staff was reflected in the restaurant as well. I ordered the Hoopla Chardonay which came in a carafe with a Spanish style wine glass which was very unexpected and very cool; now I'm feeling like I'm on vacation instead of working. For dinner I had the Angus sliders and the blue cheese waffle fries with a red curry sauce - unbelieveable! I have already made plans to dine in Phi again tomorrow night with my work companions as the menu offering is totaly shareable and I want to try everything! I retired to the Phi Terrace for an after dinner cocktail and was so impressed with the beautiful view of the city as well as the relaxed atmosphere (okay so I had to stay for two cocktails). The bed is amazingly comfortable and the black-out shades really do their job. Next time I return to San Diego, for business or pleasure, I will stay here!

Brand New, Great Service, Amazing Value

by TripAdvisor Member chamb186

My girlfriend and I only had one night to stay in or around San Diego. I looked for hours and hours for a place we could afford and was fairly decent. I finally went to the holiday inn website because I have always been impressed with holiday inn express's. I found this place called Hotel Indigo and it was only $140 in downtown San Diego and only a few blocks from the water. It also allowed me to bring my dog and at no extra charge. We got there with no real knowledge of the place. We were all greeted with enthusiasm, even my 60 pound german shepherd. They said because I was a holiday inn member they would upgrade my room at no extra charge. We ended up getting a huge corner room over looking Petco Park. We could legitimately see the game and pretty well. They recommended a great restaurant and a great bar for our needs. They also had a bar on the 9th floor that overlooked the Padres game and if we could have done it again we would have stayed their all night. We usually are people that hate going to hotel bars and would much rather explore a new city. Hotel Indigo exceeded expectations better than any hotel ever has for me.

Great hotel, great service, great stay

by TripAdvisor Member PhoenixBikeman

Hotel Indigo is new and in speaking with the Desk Manager, this is their model property for future Indigo properties. Good idea; they got a lot right. Wood floor, spacious rooms, comfortable bests, excellent location, very nice staff. Hard to say anything wrong. The hotel is in a prime location downtown in the Gas Lamp Quarter. Having visit San Diego many, many times during the last twenty years, and remembering accident driving through the old Quarter--a mistake one avoided at all costs--it is pleasantly shocking to see the transformation. The city did a fantastic job of redeveloping this area and this hotel fits into the location very well. Our stay was in SD during the prime season, so all room rates are high. But for a bit more than the just plain awful Hotel Circle (the City got that all wrong), a stay here is very worth it. And it is a short, very easy drive to Coronado Island, a tab bit longer drive to La Jolla, and only a walk out the door to excellent eateries and the ballpark, that bit more is really nothing. Having worked with hotel developers and having an understanding of what it takes to open and run a first class hotel well, which makes me a very critical guests I'm afraid, I was completely shocked, that our stay was during their first week of opening. I would never have guessed that--a very good sign. No major gaffs, not really even minor ones. One can only hope they keep up that excellent standard. If you have to go to San Diego (tough assignment), and can get a room, which might be hard when the word gets out, don't pass up the opportunity to stay at the Indigo.

Sophisticated and Fun in San Diego

by TripAdvisor Member ppatrick

I just returned from a wonderful stay at the Hotel Indigo. The public areas were so inviting with the welcoming staff- especially gracious Daren at the front desk and Pat who seemed to be happily helping everyone. My favorite spot was the lovely outsidebar deck with the fire pits overlooking Petco Park. The people, the ambiance, and the view were all great.
The hotel itself and the rooms were comfortable and sophisticated in their design. I loved the cozy bed and the local artwork both inside and outside the hotel. There was even art and a colorful mural inside the room. The accessories were classy and very practical. The hardwood floors gave everything a clean, fresh feel and look. The colors in the public areas and rooms were all so invigorating.
There is a very well outfitted work out room. A hot tub to go with this on the adjacent deck would be a great addition.
I look forward to a return trip.

Fabulous hotel esp. for baseball lovers

by TripAdvisor Member mgoff

Hotel Indigo only opened 3 weeks ago but it is a first class hotel in downtown San Diego. We stayed in a suite (room 1116) that overlooks Petco Park--you can see the ball being thrown you are so close.
The lobby is elegant, the exercise room roomy with great variety of machines,and the ninth floor bar overlooking Petco with fireplaces is the perfect way to spend an evening with friends. I travel alot for business and stay in many hotels but this is the best overall experience I have ever had. It is located within walking distance of many restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter and a great coffee shop, Cafe Noir, is on the next block. Can't wait to come back!

A fantastic stay at San Diego

by TripAdvisor Member jamesyang318

The hotel was awesome considering it was just opened for 3 weeks. The staffs (Thaddius, Clare and James) were extremely cordial and helpful. I will definitely visit again.

top class hotel with a view

by TripAdvisor Member susanne01

Wow! What a pleasant surprise! Booked hotel on hotwire and couldnt find any reviews of it but when we arrived we realised that the hotel had just opened 3 days previously....liked it so much we booked in for a fourth night instead of our intended 3 night stay...
Hotel staff very helpful, especially the porter (Brian) who acted as a luggage carrier, restaurant guide, tour guide, etc...
The hotel had a funky feel to it as it had a curtain of water dividing the lobby and the bar and was decorated with lots of cool colours..
The bedroom was lovely, again decorated in cool colours and the bathroom was really above average..
Location-wise the hotel is at the edge of the gaslamp quarter and overlooking the Padres stadium (try to go to a baseball game ) by the 9th story bar and some of the rooms too.... a great base for exploring the city
Parking was a bit pricey though at 33dollars per night and the feeling that you had to tip each time you got the car as it was valet only....thats the only downside though!!

Nothing by the best - a perfect getaway while being right in the action!

by TripAdvisor Member LosAngelesWilshire

An impromptu getaway lead myself and my boyfriend to this perfect gem in San Diego right in the gas lamp district. Upon arriving we were greeted by the most charming staff specifically Dieter who made us feel right at home, royalty in fact!. After checking in I was in owe after finding out that the hotel is brand new; you would have never noticed as the hotel seems like a well-oiled machine after just being open for under two weeks.

The lobby is stunning with open air dinning and a waterfall that extends from the ceiling to the ground. It is the perfect place to get your day started or begin your evening for a round of cocktails. Relaxing here is not hard to do!

I expected nice rooms but was greeted with the most spectacular surprise. The rooms are hip, beautiful designed, spacious, views to write home about and beds that you could go to sleep and not get out of for days! The plush pillows and huge down comforters made for one of the best nights sleep I have had. Our room specifically looked right into Petco Park; we were lucky enough to catch a game even right from our hotel room. I am not kidding when I say you can watch a Padres game from bed!

To go from down right incredible to absolutely extravagant, we order room service and champagne to supplement the game. We had the most delicious waffle french fries with the most decadent toppings of gorgonzola cheese and chipotle sauce which went perfectly with our chicken sliders and not to mention the most delicious crab flatbread that makes my mouth water just thinking about.

Everything about this hotel is phenomenal! From the superb staff to gorgeous surrounding, food that you will crave after you stay and this is all supplementing the most important part - the beautiful, luxurious rooms! I would suggest this to all whether it be for leisure, a fun party weekend, or business. And hey, it doesn't hurt that this is the first "green" hotel in San Diego!

Nice new hotel

by TripAdvisor Member travelfan13

Stayed at the Hotel Indigo for just one night. Found it on the internet and was intrigued. The hotel is new and is stylish in it's decor. It is located in the Gaslamp quarter which was important to us. Just a few blocks away from all the action but far away that at night there was no noise. It has a view of Petco Park.. which was nice. We watched from the 9th floor balcony which had a bar and chairs so you could sit outside for a pre dinner drink. Our room was on the 10th floor.. room 1025 and I was impressed with the decor as well... the bed was terrific and had enough pillows!! The bathroom was nice..no tub but a really good shower. The only issues we had were with the air and then late at night... around 1 oclock.. the fire alarm. It went off twice while we were sleeping and it scared the heck out of us... we called down.. they came and with the air issues ...and the alarm chirping we asked to be placed in another room....at 2am. Ugh. They are new so I am sure they are working out the kinks.... when we checked out we spoke to the mgr who gave us a free night for a future stay... Despite the issues I would return.... The only negative is that we paid for a king with a veiw.. our view was of a condo unit being built next door.. so I would not upgrade next time... until it's complete.

Comments