525 Spruce, San Diego, California, 92103, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Booking.com

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

A Work in Progress

Inn at the Park is a work in progress. We stayed in an updated studio and, aside from some furniture moving above us one evening, our visit was quiet and comfortable.

Unique Quality: Inn at the Park is a unique property. As Park Manor it was very welcoming to the gay clientele. It still is that, and the updated decor plays to that audience, but it is also welcoming the families, straight couples and foreign visitors.

• erikajj's Profile Photo

Park Manor Suites

(prices in USD)Suite prices range from $74 to $199 for junior suites. One bedroom suites range from $99 to $249. Two bedroom suites are priced from $139 to $299.

Unique Quality: The hotel was built in 1926 and each suite is unique. Our room had two bedrooms, a walk-in closet, and a huge bathroom. The room was so large that we actually held part of the bridal shower (eight women doing manicures) in the room. The restaurant at the top serves complimentary breakfast each morning and has excellent food and a beautiful view of the city. This hotel is gay-friendly and has a wonderful reception each evening for gay and hetero folks alike. (photo borrowed from the website)

More about Park Manor Suites

New Years Eve at the Park Manor

by TripAdvisor Member KenDiego

Just stayed at the Park Manor Suites over the New Year Holiday. I have stayed at the Park Manor several times over the years. I have never stayed in a room that is the same layout, they are all unique. I have always enjoyed my visits but can sort of agree with a few of the comments I've seen about the upkeep. Fortunately that is quickly changing. The elderly Doctor who owned and lived in the hotel recently passed away. As a testament to the wonderful employees, the Dr gave 50% ownership of the Park Manor to some of the employees.
A second elevator is going in and the old one replaced, the top floor is undergoing renovations to open up the west side of the roof deck with another restaurant and bar going in on the roof.

ps... my room had new carpet too

Loved the Omni, after checking out of Park Manor

Park Manor Suites in no way deserves a rating higher than 1 star. This is a decaying old building that is in desperate need of renovations. And by renovations I mean doing a little more than slapping on the umpteenth coat of paint on the walls. I can only imagine the mold and rot that lies just out of sight. You can feel it in the stagnant air of the building, everything is rotting.

We never felt clean the entire time we were there and finally had enough and moved to the Omni downtown. The curtain had a stain on it, our bedspread had holes in it, the bed itself was sagging terribly on one side and creaked loudly at the slightest movement. The walls were chipped all over the place. The bathroom was less than ideal reminding me more of a public washroom than anything else, that is, marginally clean at a glance but probably filthy at it's heart.

The walls and floors are paper thin. Be prepared to hear every single noise your neighbor might make. We could even here the alarm from the person in the room above us! The radiator in the room is constantly generating more noise than heat.

Anyone who gives this more than one star obviously has incredibly low standards or has never stayed in a truly exceptional hotel before.

The only good I can say is that the rooms were quite large and that it was a short drive to the Omni downtown where we spent our last couple of days.

Excellent Value

by TripAdvisor Member DCHeretic

I spent two nights in a studio suite. The hotel is old, but clean and comfortable. I was on the sixth floor and had a nice view of downtown and could even see the distant lights of Tijuana. The suite was spacious with a large bedroom/sitting area, large walk-in closet, small bathroom, a small dining area, and a cramped kitchen. The bed was comfortable and had a nice comforter. The bathroom looked old and worn and the kitchen was not much better, but the towels were oversized and quite plush. The complimentary breakfast was small and modest, but still a nice way to get a cup of coffee early in the morning. I had two dinners at the hotel's Inn at the Park restaurant and both were excellent. The food was well-prepared, the service top-notch, and the evening entertainment (a lounge act singing showtunes) was delightful. The rooftop deck was closed for renovation, but I had been up there a number of times in the past and can attest to it offering some of the finest views of San Diego. Overall, the Park Manor Suites are an excellent value for those travelers who want close proximity to Balboa Park and downtown San Diego and are willing to forgo some luxury.

Very reasonable and comfortable-not a chain.

If you are most comfortable in a Holiday Inn by the interstate, this may not be the hotel for you. However, if you are looking for a comfortable, spacious, clean and convenient place to stay---I would recommend this hotel. We stayed in a very reasonably priced 2 bedroom suite for $129.00 per night. The breakfast was certainly adequate and the staff was very kind and thoughtful. Both my husband and my children found the hotel to be perfect for an overnight stay. The balcony overlooking the park was a wonderful bonus.

Great Hotel

Loved this place! Was worried about the mixed reviews but took a chance and boy am I glad. The room was great - felt like my own apartment. Yes, the decorations are a little like grandma's house - but everything was spotless and clean. Room was in great shape - staff was nice - loved the kitchen, and the cleaning staff did our dishes every day. The restaurant wasn't very good - very pricey for what it offered. If looking for a restaurant go to the Hash House. Hotel has wireless internet -an added bonus - and you can't beat the location. Great place for gay couples - the neighborhood is very gay and accomadating. The price is great - I've paid the same for motels - I even found a special on their website that got me a $40 gift certificate to the restaurant (again pricey even with the gc) and a in room bottle of champagne. Park is right across the street, great restaurants and shops on University a few blocks away. Great place!

This hotel sucks

I booked this hotel from internet, attracted by its location and historical backround. Not too later after my arrival, i knew this is gonna be my worst exoperience. Thye gave me a studio, with windowscould not be closed, a view to parking lot, a bathroom with really stained shower,floors with noise when walking on them,in total, this hotel sucks.for what they've charged, i think they should be sued.
One thing I want to tell anyone who wants to stay there. THERE IS NO GREAT VIEW ON PENTHHOUSE IDURING BREAKFAST TIME AND THE ELVATOR IS SO ALOW THAT MY 85YEARS GRANDMOM CAN RACE IT. This hotel is good for people looking for old fashion haunted building.

Beware!!!

I had a reservation confirmed for this hotel for two and half months. Two days before my scheduled arrival date, they called to say they couldn't honor the reservation due to construction.
The person handling the "problem" was curt and impatient when I questioned the short notice.
I was offered accomodations at another hotel approximately two miles away that were quite different than the two bedroom suite I had reserved.
The whole experience left me with a really bad impression of this hotel.....only book them if you don't mind changing at the last minute!

Don't Believe Everything You Read

by TripAdvisor Member Skippysd

Have stayed here many times and can't believe some of the negative reviews on tripadvisor. I just got back from a 5 day stay at this boutique hotel. It's definitely not a chain or new "cookie-cutter" place. The front desk and other staff here is so helpful and the restaurants can't be beat. The hotel is in Hillcrest and they have a fun happy hour type party some nights on the rooftop. It's also RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from Balboa Park. What a bonus that is! Even though the hotel is old, it's really well kept. The rooms are HUGE, with full kitchens and comfy beds and each one i've stayed in is different. Everyone has an opinion,if given the chance,I'll choose the privately owned older place over a newer Hampton Inn, Courtyard or similar hotel everytime. This place is great, and it's inexpensive for San Diego. I'll be back.

Never Again!

I just spent a week and have never seen a less enthusiastic staff in my life. No one wants to assist and the rooms are, how do I put it politely, dirty. Yuch, nothing worked, the refrigerator was broken, the toilets dirty, and the beds were worse than Motel 6. Quaint? I think not. Bedbug heaven.

Comments