San Diego Hotels

Our Members Say

• frankcanfly profile photo frankcanfly
  • Reviews: 2603

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

El Cordova Hotel

Located on Coronado Island, just across the street from the Coronado Hotel.

This hotel has old California (1950's) charm. Large rooms, an outdoor atmosphere and very reasonable prices. This is where I'd stay on my own dollar......

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written August 14, 2003

• matcrazy1 profile photo matcrazy1
  • Reviews: 8368

Hotel Del Coronado: The most famous hotel of San Diego County

I didn't live there (not for my budget) but I would like, maybe for 1-2 nights. I just visited that hotel - the interiors look very nice and the location in front of Coronado Beach and the Pacific Ocean is amazing.

As a National Historic Landmark, the Hotel Del has a rich and colorful heritage. From Marilyn Monroe to Charles Lindbergh, from state dinners to the ghost of Kate Morgan, The Del is a fascinating American treasure with over 115 years of stories to tell.

Location, unusual wooden architecture.

• Related to: Luxury Travel
  • Written May 29, 2003

HOTEL DEL CORONADO

• CDNgirl profile photo CDNgirl
  • Reviews: 167
Coronado Village Inn: Neat place on Coronado

I stayed here on my last trip to San Diego. I was in desperate need of peace and quiet and relaxation, and this place was it!! Its quiet, old in a good way, and just had a really nice homey feel to it. It reminded me of some of the better B&B's in Europe, and location for Coronado couldn't be better. Its just off the main street, Orange St. and a block or two from the beach.

Old, but clean, quiet, and just a really neat atmosphere to it!! You can hear the ocean, if not see it from your room, really nice!!
It is actually officially historical, built in 1926!!

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written May 27, 2003

• 10110 profile photo 10110
  • Reviews: 470
Hotel del Coronado: Hotel del Coronado

This is a famous hotel on the island of Coronado connected to San Diego by bridge.

The hotel is also meant to be haunted, scary. Many celebrities has stayed here. It costs between $200-300 per night to stay here if can afford it go ahead but I just visited the place.

• Written March 17, 2003

• b1bob profile photo b1bob
  • Reviews: 2338

Sean's flat: Not the Coronado, but nice anyhow

My friends Sean and Debbie invited me to stay with them at their flat in Chula Vista, a suburb of San Diego.

• Written December 6, 2002

my friends' flat complex

• surfNsmiles profile photo surfNsmiles
  • Reviews: 7
Save cash on places to stay

When we got to the West Coast, we had hotel reservations for the first night ... then we were winging it the rest of the time. We ended up getting really lucky ... and you can too.

Here's what we did. We went into an area grocery store & picked up a free "area coupon book". This book had a variety of coupons ranging from local attractions to lodging. After getting the book, we would drive to the areas that we wanted to check out. Then found a hotel in walking distance from the book, called them from our cell phones to make reservations. The coupons usually saved us half off the regular prices.

Enjoy!

One trick that may help you out when bargain hotelling. We found out that when we called most places & told them upfront that we had a coupon, there usual response would be "we are all booked up" ... which was crap. They just didn't want to honor their coupon ... how did we know this you ask? After being turned down by a few hotels, we got a little suspicious ... so after we were told that there was no vacancies ... we called back to the same hotel a few minutes later. To our surprise, by not mentioning that we had a coupon, there was a vacancy available.

To make a long story short, don't mention that you have a coupon until after you confirm that there is a vacancy. Once vacancy is available, they then would have to honor the coupon.

• Written September 10, 2002

• palomani profile photo palomani
  • Reviews: 27

Hotel Del Coronado ('The Del')

Hotel Del Coronado ('The Del')
$250+ for a standard room

Ever seen 'Some Like It Hot' with Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon? Ever hear where the King of England met Wallis Simpson?

This Victorian landmark has had it's fair share of celebrities. It's been renovated and remodeled but retains it's historic charm. There are three main sections: the Victorian Wing, the California Cabanas and the Towers. The Victorian Wing is the original building, the latter two have been added.

What's special about the Del? The history and the views. It is NOT the accommodations or the price. You are paying for the history, not for modern conveniences. But do be sure to check out Mootime Ice Creamery!

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

• groovy_23 profile photo groovy_23
  • Reviews: 41
Just to letcha know.....The...

Just to letcha know.....The best area to stay that is most central to everything is Mission Valley or Old Town. MIssion Valley is right in the middle of the city. You should be able to take the trolley to most places from there. Old Town is near Mission Valley and has some great restuarants. If you stay at a hotel in Old town, know that most of the hotels are right next to the freeway. I think there are some hotels in Hotel circle in Mission valley that are reasonable...they are near the freeway too. If you have money to spend, stay at the Hanalei Red Lion mission valley. If you have money and you wanna stay downtown, go to the US Grant. But most of all, if you have money to spend and have a rental car....STAY AT THE HOTEL DEL!!!! You won't be sorry!.

• SNICK profile photo SNICK
  • Reviews: 32

Good accomodations that won't...

Good accomodations that won't hurt your wallet is a rare bird in San Diego, but if you're savvy enough to pull it off, get your room via CheapestDeals.com - I always use them when I go back to San Diego.

• Written August 26, 2002

• shivan profile photo shivan
  • Reviews: 831
Picture off-topic, but in this...

No properly an hotel, but I decided to include this picture to tell you how much a lot of people here in Italy would like to live in an house like that.
It is almost impossible for normal human beings to buy a house as large as those ones are, actually. It is because we use to live in apartments and because of lack of space.

• Sunshine64 profile photo Sunshine64
  • Reviews: 487

Hotel Del Coronado: Hotel Del Coronado

Even if you don't stay at this unique hotel, you must stop in for a visit. The basement houses several nice (read expensive) shops, and the walls are lined with photos of famous guests and historic hotel events.

Tip Photo

• rstary profile photo rstary
  • Reviews: 174
If you can afford it you must...

If you can afford it you must stay at least one night at the Hotel del Coronado. ($466/night). We didn't stay there but visited. We stayed at the Lawrence Welk Resort in Escondido which was very nice and affordable. We had a one bedroom suite which accommodated our family of five very well.
$466 US. I inquired through hotwire.com for a hotel on Coronado and they came back with a five star for $266. So if you want to gamble, I think it might be the only five star hotel on the island. (Hotwire doesn't tell you who the hotel is until you book)

Hotel del has a beautiful view of the ocean and it is absolutely filled with old world charm. A five star hotel. Even if you don't stay there you must visit.

• BR0WND0G profile photo BR0WND0G
  • Reviews: 121

The Hotel Cororado is...

The Hotel Cororado is historic, elegant and has one of the most expansive and quiet beaches in San Diego.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

• enigma58 profile photo enigma58
  • Reviews: 134

One of the big...

One of the big resorts...beutiful...but nothing alse outside of the hotel...or as they put it....when you come in here you will not need any thing alse from outside....them...why to go there?

Tip Photo

• acemj profile photo acemj
  • Reviews: 4857

Good friends stay for free

San Diego has all the usual American hotel chains. You'll find a bunch of them in Fashion Valley in what's known as Hotel Circle.

I happen to be lucky enough to have some great friends in San Diego, so when I'm here I stay with them. On my last trip, I stayed with a great friend from high school (I went to Mount Carmel in San Diego) and his wife. Thanks Rags and Kavi.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful