4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

One Market Place, San Diego, California, 92101, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com amextravel.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• iclee's Profile Photo

Sweetest deal with great location

Husband attended a biz conference while I went around San Diego with my daughter for a week. Fantastic view overlooking bay/pier plus an aircraft carrier. Check in/out was a breeze. Every call to room service or housekeeping was attended to immediately with a certain graciousness which was a far cry from my Westin St Francis, SF experience. Specialty/local botiques line the ground floor of the hotel. Very good restaurants are just a stone's throw away in the Seaport Village.

Every facility worked although it was too cold to swim so we only managed a 2 minute dip in the pool.

If you are easily bothered by train sounds then do not book this hotel. I personally find this aspect a bit quaint :)

Unique Quality: Great location near the trendy Gaslamp area and quiet Coronado community. Interiors were impressively finished with warm wood starting with the cavernous Front Desk area.

My daughter liked the room service 4 cheese pizza, mini burger and fries. She also liked the very ample bed and ultra soft pillows.

Directions: Near the Coronado bridge entrance

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Formerly the Hyatt Regency San Diego!

First I'll have to say that I haven't stayed at this hotel and most likely will never be able to. The price is just too high for my meager budget, an average price, $300.00 a night.

However for those who can afford it, the Hyatt offers all the luxury one would expect for the price, plus views, just short of a helicopter ride, of San Diego that are mesmerizing and rare!

You might not close your mind to the price without checking it out as I believe that this price can be reduced significantly by shopping around on the Internet. Many times, especially in the present economy, hotels such as this will offer reduced prices even during "the season." Last November (2010) one VT'er paid only $89.00 per night during the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Now let me tell you another way you can enjoy some of what the Hyatt has to offer without actually staying here.

Unique Quality: The Hyatt Regency San Diego changed it's name in 2003, when the second tower was built, to The Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego. This addition expanded the size of the hotel's waterfront property to become the largest on the west coast and gained Hyatt the right to call itself Grand.

The original tower is a mere 33 stories and the newer addition, is 40 stories high, both overlook all of San Diego and as far north to La Jolla and south to Mexico.

The polished Italian marble in the huge--three stories high--lobby, which connects the two towers, is not really attractive to me. It reminds me of a grand train station, but the lobby is not what I recommend this place for.

Sally's Restaurant, Ann Maries Coffee Shop, Lael's, Redfields lounge and bistro and The Grand Lobby Bar are a start. These restaurants/lounges are open to the public and an inexpensive--comparatively speaking--way of experiencing the grandure of this hotel.

However, it is the Top of The Hyatt lounge on the 40th floor that should not be missed! Views, from the floor to ceiling windows, are breath-taking, mesmerizing and thrilling. The cold marble interior of the lobby is left behind at the door of this lounge. I felt as if I had walked into a private club from a different era. At the windows were comfortable arm chairs around dark, polished wooden tables and in the center an array of sofas for people to gather around the coffee table.

The lounge offers interesting appetizers, a martini menu and a full service bar. These items are priced higher than average, but well worth the price, if only for the ambiance and view.

The size of this hotel can be appreciated by looking at the photo of the two largest white towers at either end of the property.

Directions: Just north of Seaport Village's parking lot.

• The Regency Plaza Hotel Circle

The Regency Plaza Hotel Circle
    US$89.00 For 2 Queen Beds

Unique Quality: For a Tourist it is very centrally located and has a great
    rate.It is also very family oriented.It is only minutes from
    most places in San Diego.

More about Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego

Nice stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt

We needed a place to stay in San Diego and got this for a steal on Priceline--paying at least $100 less than what was being quoted to someone who was looking for a room when we were checking in. We stayed in the new tower (about 2 1/2 years old) in a room with a nice few of the water. The parking deck is crowded and the elevator up to the deck is very slow--kind of a pain in the neck. The lobby is beautiful, and our room was nice--kind of standard hotel-ish, but it had a comfy chair and ottoman and a huge very very bright & clean bathroom. Didn't eat in any restaurants, there so I can't comment on that, but overall this was a great stay at a convienent location in town.

No second-rate rooms for Manchester Grand Hyatt guests.

My husband and I travelled to san diego this year for the 4th of july weekend. We used a new hotel reservation service, hotwire, primarily because our travelling companions had done so and we wanted to stay in their hotel too...while we did not get into their hotel, we did get a great price on a great hotel.

Situated at the foot of market street, in downtown san diego, this hotel has it all...and then some. We arrived a little late on Saturday, so had to take the room they assigned to us, even though it had only two full size beds and a view of the back of the elevator bank (literally, the way they arranged the furniture in the room, the bed faced toward the hotel, instead of away from it toward the downtown skyline). When I called the front desk to see about a bigger bed (you know what they say, once you've slept on a cal king you don't want to go back), they told me it was hopeless for the evening, but to call back in the afternoon and see what had opened up.

I really didn't think they would move us. We had booked our room on a discount site, were paying easily half of what the other guests were being asked to, and did nothing but complain about our dreadful room.

Not only did they move us, but they put is in the new tower, on the 26th floor where we were able to watch the 4th of july fireworks display from our room. from that vantage point we were able to see all 3 of the synchronized shows while enjoying room service and the company of our friends, instead of the drunken masses of people on the roads below us. We watched this same group of people wait for two hours to leave the area, as the traffic jam was endless.

Thank you, to the new Manchester Grand Hyatt, the bellhops and the front desk clerks who treated us right, regardless of how we came to stay at their hotel.

A fine Convention/Conference Hotel, but....

by TripAdvisor Member Papdadio

The Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego, CA is a beautiful and large hotel. It's perfect for the conference/convention traveler as the hotel offers extensive services for meeting and hospitality facilities.

The location of the hotel is convenient to all parts of the city via walking/public transportation. The amenities of the hotel are definitely priced to scale. For example, while my business class room was comparable to other large luxury hotels (e.g., the view from the room was splendid and the accommodations were comfortable) my encounter with the penthouse suites left me quite impressed with the decor, expansive square footage, and amenities. Bottom line, if you are willing to pay you will receive what you purchase.

All in all I would recommend the Grand Manchester Hyatt, San Diego, CA for the conference/convention traveler. However, I would choose a smaller "family friendly" hotel if traveling on vacation with my children/wife or a more romantic intimate local luxury hotel/B&B if traveling with my wife for a get-away.

Grand architecture, poor design.

Grand architecture, poor design. From the moment you drive onto the property it is apparent that no expense was spared on the architecture and lobby furnishings. The lobby is decorated with forty foot hand painted murals illuminated with professional stage lighting that is nothing short of awe inspiring. After checking in it took a while to find the elevators to take us to our room. The elevator lobby is small and not sufficient for the traffic or types of crowds that a convention hotel generates. This hotel is made for vacationers who do not travel in large groups. The elevator speed is very good although it took 10 minutes to get a car. The room accommodations are poor. This was by far the noisiest hotel I have ever stayed at. The towers suffer from serious design flaws. The walls are paper thin where every word and toilet flush from ajoining rooms are amplified through the acoustically active hallways. Because all of the room doors are spring loaded with no pneumatic damping they slam when released causing the floor and walls to shake. We complained to the management who moved us to a room in the new tower, but that was no better except that most people in the new tower were sleeping. Basically the rooms are no better than other chains at one third the price.

Great hotel that puts San Diego at your fingertips!

by TripAdvisor Member john3052

My husband and I stayed here with a $70 reservation through Priceline.
What a treat! We arrived on a Saturday and received a room with a great view of the harbor- although I doubt there are many rooms with a poor view. As others have said the lobby is great, the Top of the Hyatt bar was fun and the staff was exceptional. We were able to walk to the Gaslamp district at night and had a great dinner at the Fish Market just up the street as well. When we checked out on Monday there were lots of conventioners so this may be best on weekends for leisure travelers. Also, we could hear a squeak from the plumbing fairly continuously. I wouldn't pay the rack rates here, but you couldn't beat everything we enjoyed for 70 dollars a night.

Perfect Location, 5-15 minutes from all major parts of Diego

This hotel is unbelievable. We travel around a ton and just got engaged and choose San Diego for the first time trip. We also pricelined our hotel. We were only 10 minutes walking from most major parts of San Diego's hot spots - 5th Ave! Also, the trolley is a 1/2 block walk and can take to anywhere for a couple bucks all over San Diego. Behind the hotel is Sea Village, a great place to grab lunch or take a walk on the Ocean. You will not find a better location and a solid hotel with good ameneties.

My fiancee and I will return to San Diego and will hope to stay here again.

Loved the Grand!

by TripAdvisor Member Tim_Wallace

My wife, daughter and I stayed here on 6/11/04 for 1 night while traveling to Newport Beach. We got a great rate through Priceline and were more than pleased with all aspects of the hotel. Everyone treated us like royalty. We had a room in the Harbor Tower with a great view. The pool area was beautiful and we were literally steps away from Seaport Village where we shopped and had dinner. The breakfast buffet was also very good. Our only regret was that we only had 1 night to stay there.

Manchester Grand Hyatt Reviews

by queenlala

Staying at the Manchester Grant Hyatt. Has anyone stayed here? What did you think?

RE: Manchester Grand Hyatt Reviews

by yvr

you can read lots of reviews of hotels at the following website www.tripadvisor.com these are reviews submitted by past guests.

RE: Manchester Grand Hyatt Reviews

by stevee

Huge Hotel...decent rooms but nothing exciting...very nice location.

RE: RE: Manchester Grand Hyatt Reviews

by LubaLorine

It's an enormous hotel - definitely not personal service. That said, it is lovely with all the amenities you could want. Best feature is it's location and views. There are plenty of lovely hotels in that area, so I'd say the rate is what will make it worthwhile or not. Too much money and it's not worth it. Get a good deal and you'll be thrilled!

Comments