4961 Newport Avenue, San Diego, California, 92107, United States

HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

• Cabin_Fun's Profile Photo

Fun place Great Beach to Surf And to Girl Watch

I stayed with my Girl Friend We where traveling back from Mexico and we need to enjoy some good old USA food .Wow what a great location under the big peace sign great people Running the place and nothing but fun My girl friend had a better time than i did i fell a sleep early lol .Lots of things to do and if you love the night life it is all with in a few blocks and you don't have to pay for all the taxi cabs like you do downtown or the parking it is somewhat easy if your driving .Well all that matters is we had a great time hope you do to . I live in Hawaii now wish we had a fun Hostel out here . Aloha HT

Unique Quality: Food they have food sometimes. Also free ride from airport . Cloud nine I think it was . Awesome Party too.

Directions: right on the main road in OB

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

All Ages Accepted!!!

This Hostel is located in the Community of Ocean Beach, which is about six and a half miles from downtown San Diego.

Most hostels in the USA have an age limit, usually between 18 and 26. This is not the case at the Ocean Beach International Hostel, which is independently owned.

At this hostel, "international" is the key word. All nationalities are accepted but if you are from the USA you must either show a dated stamp on your passport that proves you have just returned from international travel or you must be a card carrying I.H. Member.

I have not stayed here but everyone I know of who has, raves about it. So, I feel pretty confident suggesting it. I've passed by many times and always there is at least one relaxed person kicking back on the front porch watching the people and traffic traveling this section of Newport Avenue.

The Newport Hotel was refurbished into an international youth hostel and though I've seen some pretty old characters inside, it seems that the atmosphere is casual, comfortable and in most ways young.

There are big signs warning that no alcohol is allowed on the front porch. I asked one resident if alcohol was allowed at all.

"Yeah." He said. "On the back porch."

One point made clear to me the last time I went there to get a new brochure was that the price of a bed has gone up to $25.00 and a double/private room is $37.50, which is still a bargin. I'd suggest you check the prices from their website while making your plans, it could be higher by that time.

Unique Quality: They have a few doubles/ "couples" accommodations, but they are acquired only on a first come, first served basis and except for those, everything else offered will be "dorm-rooms." Male and Female seperated.

The best aspect of this hostel is it's location. However, they do offer some pretty good Freebies too which add to the bargin aspect of staying at a hostel.

Situated at the west end of Newport Avenue it is right in the heart of "downtown" OB. Lots of restaurants, bars and shops all around, but the fact that it is less than a block from the beach and the peir is the selling point to my way of thinking.

Directions: About a block and a half east of the beach.

• mlewis234's Profile Photo

Well, since I live here I...

Well, since I live here I don't have any particular hotel recommendations, but there are hotels/motels aplenty.

For those of you hosteling, check out the Ocean Beach Hostel. I've passed by it many a time and it looks like a grand old place.

Comments