5142 West Point Loma Blvd., San Diego, California, 92017, United States
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Ocean Villa Inn

Hated the Ocean Villa Inn

Photos misleading. Hotel spent more money on the flowered street side photo than inside the hotel. Don't walk barefooted in the room. Wear shower shoes. Bring your own blankets. It wouldn't be so bad if this is a hotel was just stuck in the 1970's time warp but everything from the curtains to lamps and flooring is probably that old with its grime 30-year grime.

The management treats you like you're up to something sneaky. I asked the manager if there was hotel security since people we sleeping outside my door, on the other side of the fence. The manager replied, "Security is watching you. We see everything you do so don't think we don't see it." The manager thinks he's running a tight ship by enforcing all the rules. There was a mix-up in the laundry room and we were told that our clothes would be locked in at exactly 8:00 p.m. and would stay there until morning.

Beware of the dial-up internet fees. The fee quoted was right but I was not informed of the details. I dialed the same area code but it was still considered an out-of area number. I was charged $29 for what was supposed to be something like $1.

Breakfast is coffee, toast, and a plastic-wrapped danish.

Really enjoyed the Ocean Villa Inn

My family and I loved our stay at the Ocean Villa Inn. We did not take our pets on this vacation as did a lot of families there. We simply loved the feel of the place. It was friendly, homey, and relaxed. My children loved being able to see the beach from our room and hear the ocean as they went to sleep.

The staff was quite friendly and accomadating, and the other guests were also a pleasant group.

Dog beach was a little dirty, and not so pleasant if you have not brought your pet. The other side of the guard station is Ocean Beach, which is where we spent most of our time in the sand. You get a great local feel in this location.

The rooms were nice, but a little sandy. The motel lacked some cleanliness but made up for it in pure charm. There was nothing "dirty" about the room, but it was very "beachy".

If you are looking for laid back and friendly, this is the place.

Dog Friendly Hotel in San Diego

by sunchasers about Ocean Villa Inn - Ocean Beach

We stayed here in February 2006. As the Davis Cup was going on in La Jolla that weekend, accommodation around San Diego was pretty booked. We were pleasantly suprised to find Ocean Villa Inn still had rooms available. We had a clean, comfortable room with a decent-sized balcony with an ocean view. If you stay here you should probably like dogs as many dog-lovers will stay here (the bottom rooms have a yard for dogs) and it's directly adjacent to dog beach. However, even though it's a pet-friendly hotel, it doesn't seem over-run by animals (meaning our room was clean and didn't smell as if fido had just left). The managers/owners are also very friendly and welcoming. proximity to beach, overlooks mission beach/pacific ocean

Great for Pooches & Their People

by TripAdvisor Member Butterkupp

OK - the Ritz it's not - but it's much better than basic and they allow pets! I love 'em for THAT.

People with pets stay on the bottom floor of rooms. The floors are tiled in these rooms for easy accident clean up - smart thinking! Our room (and I think all of them) had a sliding glass door onto a small patio with chairs and table overlooking a grassy area.

Our room was very spacious and we felt very safe. Very good location but the parking is a bit tricky. If it's evening and you have a spot - stay if you can and enjoy a restaurant within walking distance. It's possible to end up without a parking spot.

The best for last - DOG BEACH. Ahhhh - what a treat! The beach is right next to the hotel and we found it to be very clean and very fun. LOTS of dogs and just a great overall feeling.

We can't wait to return to the Ocean Villa Inn. Woof!

Depends on what you're looking for...

by TripAdvisor Member BananaHannah

My husband, dog and I have stayed at Ocean Villa Inn twice now. I read the reviews prior to booking our first long weekend, and decided to give the place a try anyway. We had to bring our dog, and were on a budget (especially with San Diego being an expensive place to stay/visit), plus many hotels were already booked, so our options were limited.

We arrived at Ocean Beach where the inn is located. Ocean Beach is an interesting neighborhood. Somewhat older and with an interesting mix of people. The hotel is located within walking distance to the regular beach, and very close Dog Beach, as well as some local restaurants. It is not oceanfront, nor did we expect it to be. But it was plenty close enough for us!

The staff was courteous throughout our stay, nothing extraordinary. They had coffee and packaged danish in the lobby in the mornings. The rooms were dated, and although not entirely spotless, acceptable considering how old the place is, that they have sandy people/dogs staying there after a day at the beach, etc. The flooring was tile, no carpeting, so although it had a 'cold-ish' feel to it, it was probably more clean and sanitary than carpeting would be. The shower was clean and looked new, compared to the rest of the room. The beds were so-so, but we brought our own pillows and that helped out a lot. The inn is located under the airport path, so planes start leaving around 6 a.m. and fly right over. I was prepared for this and brought ear plugs, which I was thankful for. The hose outside was helpful, we always sprayed the sand off the dog after being at the beach. They have free parking on-site, which is somewhat hard to find in S.D. A laundry facility is on-site, which we did not use. There was no air-conditioning, but we did not need it at all.

Overall, not a terrible place. In my opinion, if you are on a budget, don't expect the ritz, want to bring your pet, and want to be near the ocean, this place isn't all bad. Especially if you're just coming for a quick trip.

Never, Never Again

Their website has very deceiving information. It is not on the beach and the beach which is close to the Inn is "Dog Beach" which is probably the most filthy in San Diego, with dogs running and doing their thing from morning to night. Room was dirty, especially the carpets. Kids feet were black from just walking in room. After going out to dinner one night we returned to find no parking in the lot and none on the street! Had to wake up staff (office closed at night) and got no help. Streets and beach paths are unsafe, especially at night, because of the homeless. No A/C and airplanes start taking off from the airport around 6am.... and the place is right in the flight path. Rooms are not cheap enough in the winter and in the summer the rates triple for the same poor product. Suggest not wasting your time. Many better beaches very near by.

Perfect Pooch Paradise

I have been to the OVI 3 times now with my mom and my small Westie...
The first visit was upsetting because of careless owners who let their pets do whatever in the rooms. The motel has since been renovated though and is much nicer. The best thing they've done is put down ceramic tile throughout. It gets quite sandy after a day at the beach though. Our first trip was the best because we had an ocean view that was beautiful- the ocean to your left and the harbor in front. Ocean Villa does not allow us to bring our beast upstairs any longer- it's their new pet policy.
However we have fallen in love with the location- it has everything a dog owner could want! A morning walk on the beach, a short drive to all "touristy" locations, an evening walk on the beach and at around 9:30 pm every night a fireworks display from Seaworld!
We have searched endlessly on every pet friendly website you can imagine and if you're a pet owner this one's for you! We are booked again for September and can't wait to hear the surf and watch the dogs in the water- Perfect!

Hated it

If you have a dog with you and don't care if your room is filthy, stay here. Otherwise, BEWARE! Parking is at a minimum, 'continental breakfast' is some bread with a toaster. The location is good, considering it is close to sea world and the zoo - but staff is not friendly, our feet were very dirty from the carpet in the room, and the area isn't the safest around, considering it is just down the street from ocean beach where there are many vagrants. It doesn't have a hot tub, but we were told there was one. I do not recommend this hotel!

Great location, nice accomodations!

by TripAdvisor Member kcollett67

Even though we did not stay at the Ocean Villa for the pet accomodations, we had a great time.

-Staff was friendly and helpful.
-Room was large and clean, bathroom very nice, great view and a nice kitchen.
-Parking did not seem to be a problem (however, we were there during the week).
-Very nice landscaping at this place.
-Close promiximity to the beach and local restaurants/bars is a HUGE plus. We did not have to drive anywhere (maybe one of the reasons we did not have a parking problem:)) .
- Dogs that were staying there were not noisy and they all seemed friendly.
-Continental Breakfast was basic: boiled eggs, fruit; english muffins, toast, coffee and teas.
-No Jacuzzi, but heated pool!
-Nearby restaurants have moderate pricing and excellent food.
-Great surfing and walking beach. Pier is very long - good for a walk.

Some downsides:

-Some vagrancy...they were the most polite vagrants I've ever encountered.
-Planes are loud....however, the fly times are from around 6 am - 11 pm. We did not notice them at night.

We look forward to going again!

Skankiest, Worst Hotel We've Ever Stayed At

by TripAdvisor Member Cinnam0nGirl

Okay, it's been almost two years since this happened but it was a nightmare. I used to live in Ocean Bearch and wanted to bring my adult kids together for a little "trip back home". I rented a room for three nights with a kitchen (which costs significantly more than one without), so that we could really relax and hang out in OB. We checked in and the room was iffy; dirty linens (sheets were clean but NOT the blankets or bedspread), dirty bathroom, including public hair in the shower, dirty carpet, just not a clean or comfortable room. Then you have to ask for a box of "cookware" and are given a mis-mash of dirtish dishes and marginally useful pots and pans AFTER YOU AGREE TO A DEPOSIT and show your drivers license. Truly you could do better hitting a yard sale. Anyway, after buying all the ingredients to make a nice rice and stir-fry veggie dinner from People's Food Store we could NOT even get water to boil. After several hours we finally gave up...the stove simply did not work! We never ate and the food went to waste. When I complained to the manager the next day and asked to be moved to a room with no kitchen and refunded the extra for the kitchen that didn't work, HE TOLD US TO LEAVE AND THREATENED TO CALL THE POLICE. I was absolutely shocked and asked to talk to the owner, but he continued to threaten me... . He had to know the stove didn't work, but just was a total jerk.
I am a nice middle-age social worker with two well-behaved totally non-threatening adult kids. Not exactly the problem guests I imagine this place has seen over the years.
We left, went over to Shelter Island, and found another place...BUT I WOULD NEVER STAY IN THIS DIVE AGAIN AND DON'T RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE.

Atop the Horton Plaza Parking StructureAtop the Horton Plaza Parking Structure

the taco mariscosthe taco mariscos

posepose

going to the beachgoing to the beach

Best Coastal (on the beach) Hotel

by hb-rocks

My Wife (finally) has some spare time for us to take a long weekend off work so we can head down to San Diego way and just hang out!
I'm looking for suggestions for a nice place on the beach (hopefully allows a small dog).

Thanks!

RE: Best Coastal (on the beach) Hotel

by YVRDave

La Valencia is very nice http://www.lavalencia.com/

RE: Best Coastal (on the beach) Hotel

by lmkluque

La Valencia is a very nice hotel, though not on the beach, only a block away in La Jolla. The dog may not be welcomed, check it out to be sure.

There is a place, not nearly as nice, more like an old 50's style motel that is on the beach--in Ocean Beach--Ocean Villa Inn and it welcomes dogs. It is located next to Dog Beach and a block from a great Dog Wash salon that offers professional care as well as self-serve wash stations. You'll find more info about both of these hotels on my La Jolla page and Ocean Beach page.

Hope this helps,
Linda

Is there a decent hotel to stay in San Diego that would allow 2 small dogs?

by duskus

Was wondering if anyone has ventured down to stay to san diego and took their dogs. We were hoping to find a clean nice hotel and expecting to pay around $200 a night. Thank you for your posts......

RE: Is there a decent hotel to stay in San Diego that would allow 2 small dogs?

by cnilson

Marriott has a few hotels in the area that allow dogs. We've stayed at the Marriott at the Marina a few times with our two doxies, and the hotel staff has been wonderful. If you go to the Marriott website, http://www.marriott.com, and enter San Diego as your location, it will bring up all of their hotels in the area. The initial results page that comes up has info on each hotel that will tell you if they accept pets or not. The rates will probably depend on your dates of stay - the website wouldn't give me rates unless I entered a date.

Have a great trip!!

RE: RE: Is there a decent hotel to stay in San Diego that would allow 2 small dogs?

by lmkluque

Though not nearly as "plush" as a Marriot, the Ocean Villa Inn in the SD community of Ocean Beach is a great spot for dog lovers. It's located adjacent to "Dog Beach" and just a little more than two blocks away is Dog Beach Dog Wash which includes a self-service dog wash besides all the other typical doggie supplies and services.

There is more info about this area on my Ocean Beach page.

Hope this Helps,
Linda

by spartan

In addition to the great information already provided, you can check http://www.petswelcome.com for lodging which accepts pets.

Comments