675 L Street, San Diego, California, 92101, United States
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Omni San Diego Hotel

What a disaster!

I booked two rooms at the Omni San Diego, a new hotel with lots of problems that need to be fixed. Hotel staff at the front desk is far from well-trained and certainly not friendly. Brand new rooms are not cleaned properly and dust and dirt are everywhere. Don't even think of getting a room facing the front of the hotel as the tram goes by all the time and the noise will keep you awake. There are far better options in San Diego. Don't get caught making the same mistake I made.

Good Experience

Just stayed at the OMNI in San Deigo. GREAT LOCATION, GREAT service, the room was fine. When you first walk in, it looks great, but as you begin to "live" in the room noticable things are not right. First of all, the hotel says they have 320 count egyptian cotton sheets. This is not so, not that it matters all that much, but they are normal hotel sheets. Also no pillow top mattress. Second, the bathroom is very nice, the towels are nice, but I agree with everyone else that has stayed here, there is NO room to put your toiletries. The shower was fine, nothing great, very low pressure.

The TV is very nice, bring DVD's or CD's to play. Also, bring your laptop for FREE wireless internet access, or wired if you need it.

All in all a very nice stay, some things that need to change, or not be advertised.

I would stay here again.

Great experience

by TripAdvisor Member rockyjoe_60

Loved the Omni -- great professional staff, great room (corner King room with balcony overlooking the pool and large screen plasma TV, and a comfy bed!). I want my bedroom at home to look as nice. The rooms could have been a bit more functional, with more room for my luggage/clothes. Very nice fitness center, but could use a locker/changing room. The main downside for me was that parking was very expensive ($22/DAY) prompting me to find space on the street. Free DVD's are available, but they didn't work with the TV, so they comped me a pay-per-view movie. I particularly recommend the place for someone who likes clea, modern, but not obnoxious, design.

Great Hotel

Staff is friendly, hotel is very clean and comfy. Pool is just great. Call ahead and ask for an upgrade, the suites are beautiful. Great location near the gaslamp quarter.

Not a beach hotel. Valet parking is pricey, park across the street a little cheaper.

Will definitely stay here again, this hotel is first class all the way.

Great Location for the Ballpark!

My son and I stayed at the hotel 4th of July Weekend in 2004. We took the Amtrak down to San Diego and then the efficient trolley system which dropped us off right in front of the hotel. The hotel staff was wonderful and they were very accomodating by letting us check in early and upgrading our room. We had a wonderful view of Petco Park and my son could watch the players at batting practice. The best part is the 4th Floor skyway that leads directly into the ballpark (and it's for Omni guest only!) We had such a great time.

Pool area is very nice (It's a rooftop pool on the old part of the hotel- I believe it's on the 10th floor) The only complaint I have is the staff at the restaurant (McCormick & Schmidt) tended to ignore you when you came in and pretty much throughout the meal...but I don't know if the hotel runs the restaurant. No problem because you are in walking distance of restaurants and clubs in the Gaslamp Quarter.

This would also make a great convention hotel because it's directly across the street.

decent hotel, great location

by TripAdvisor Member kandylandmo

just finished a 3 night stay at the omni. great location, very close to gaslamp square, but we had a car so everything was easy to get to and close by. the bathroom when we checked in was filthy and they had to come and clean it again. the gym has excellent aerobic equipment, but with the amount of room in the gym, they could have had better weight machines. the food was very good through room service and in the main restaurant. this hotel is like so many middle of the road hotels, nothing distinctive and nothing horrible. the service/employees were outstanding, very polite and informed.

Loved it!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Sumrgurl

Just got back from a 6 night stay at the Omni. This was one wonderful hotel! All the staff we encountered was very friendly especially Gretchen at the concierge and Dave out front. They took the effort to get to know you and really were very friendly. Everything was immaculate. The pool and hot tub were perfect and it was nice that you could go out there anytime you wanted. The fitness center is really nice also with free fruit and water. The trick is to get in before 10pm because after that your key won't open the door, but as long as your in there you can stay in as long as you want. You have a great vantage point of a tv no matter where you are in the room and the treadmills have personal tvs. The hotel was in walking distance to tons of stuff and in a very safe area. The only negative is that the valet is kind of expensive at $22 a night, but it's well worth it after a long day of touring to just get out at the front door and let someone else deal with the hassle of parking it in the city. I would definitely recommend this hotel for everyone and plan to stay there everytime i return to san diego.

Friendly staff, most comfy bed and room!

I would most surely stay here again! The staff was the most polite and friendly I have ever encountered. Absolute lovely decor and comfortable beds with top quality bedding. (The kind of place that makes you say, "Why can't we decorate this nicely at home?!")

Any issues, concerns were immediately handled with kindness. Small things like asking for a fresh bedspread, more complementary coffee in-room, and extra towels, were handled so graciously. My parents room was not made up quickly one day, so they went back down to the lounge, later a box of chocolates and bottle of wine was brought to them. (The boxed chocolates were devine and they sell them in the coffee shop!)

If you are a light sleeper, like me, ask for a room on a higher floor. Pool is roof-top on floor six. I love the sound of trains as a reminder of my childhood, so I slept like a baby. Beware, the Omni is near the tracks and trolley, yet I only heard a train late once the first night.

The breakfast was super in the resturant, coffee shop is good for a snack. Another thing worth noting: If you are a "select guest" be sure to let them know. While my folks got their robes, complementary beverages, and paper, we only got our paper. This could be due to the last minute up-grade card (which my folks presented too), but still, we would have loved the extras as well.

All things considered, great property and nice relaxing place to stay. Clean and comfy rooms. We had a corner room, with a huge bathroom. Folks had a samller bath, but larger bed area. Both nice rooms. It is very new hotel.

Best experience downtown - great spot to be

The Omni SD is just what San Diego's hotel market has been waiting for. We get away to San Diego regularly, and quite honestly always felt we had to settle for just "ok" when it came to our hotel options. Even those reccognized brands you would expect to be above average are uncared for and relatively indifferent when it comes to exceptional service.

The Omni starts with excellent location, adds a fantastic contemporary (but residential-like comfort) building, an obviously well trained and attentive staff looking for ways to make every aspect of our stay more than just another average hotel experience. The frnnt desk staff seemed overly busy but never once gave the impression that they were not giving it their all to make everybody happy. We had 2 rooms - one on an upper floors facing the water with breathtaking views, and one just across the hall with beautiful night time views of the city lights. Both rooms were fantastick and it was tough to pick my favorite. The restaurant a leased McCormick & Schmck's operation is acceptalbe fresh seafood, but trust me the Gaslap Quarter offers many great options for dining.

My compliments to this entire team of great professionals. I'm glad to find a permenant spot to call home in one of my favorite cities. You'll see me back soon.

Checked Out After One Night

I booked the Omni after reading all of the positive reviews on this board. I will say that the customer service at this hotel is excellent, but everything else about it was horrible. I booked a room by calling the hotel directly. The room that was described to me on the telephone was nothing like the room we were shown (I was told it was a large, corner room with floor-to-ceiling windows and a view of the ocean plus an oversized bathroom with a soaking tub). The type of room that was described to me on the telephone does not even exist at this hotel. The front desk was great and moved us to a Junior Suite. This would have been great except that the room was absolutely filthy. There was a thick layer of dust covering every surface of the room. The bathroom was filthy and I discovered a pubic hair in the tub as I was getting ready to put my one year old in it. The crib for the baby finally arrived after about an hour and it was in such bad shape that I truly felt it would be dangerous for my child to sleep in it (bumpers with most of the fastners missing and she got tangled up in it after turning over once). Needless to say, the baby slept with us that night. To top things off, our view was not of the water, but of a bleak industrial area and a railyard. The real misery started when the freight trains started going by every ten minutes all night long. I do not recommend this hotel at all.

Fabulous Scenic View to EatFabulous Scenic View to Eat

my cute friendsmy cute friends

to the terminalto the terminal

at seaport villageat seaport village

Day Visit to Tijuana, Mexico

by mattgene

Hi,
I and my family will be going to San Diego at the end of November.
We are thinking of joining an organised day tour to Tijuana, Mexico.
Having read about the recent troubles in Tijuana and around Tijuana, (organised crime violence and killings). Is it safe to visit Tijuana?
Thanks
Mattgene

by travelgourmet

Better to take a tour of Ensenada than Tijuana.

by HarmoniousBotch

Daytime? Sure, you'll be fine.

by lmkluque

Hi Mattgene,

Barring the possibility of running into a "freak" situation as one might in any city, including our own, you should be safe enough while on a tour of Tijuana.

The recent rise in violence in Tijuana is almost exclusively drug related and not carried out in or against "tourist" or tourist areas. The Mexican government has boosted it's efforts to eliminate the problem with the deployment of Federal troups to patrol the streets.

There are tours to Ensenada as well as to Tijuana as Larry suggested and you'd get a different view of Mexico there.

However, there is a caution flashing in my mind, that advising someone I don't know, who is concerned about the problems with safty in Mexico, to travel deeper into the country, might not at the moment be the best thing.

In Tijuana, the tourist area is located very near the boarder between the USA and Mexico. So far, it has remained a safe enough area. Though it seems that the violence is limited to those who are connected to the media, law enforcement or drug cartel and confined to their neighborhoods, I would say that there might be more likelihood of running into trouble on the way to Ensenada than staying in the tourist areas in Tijuana.

Now having said that, I would mention these points:

1. The violence/problems are sporatic, isolated and infrequent incidents. Not like some raging battle going on every day.

2. Surrounding the "tourist" areas of Tijuana is a full, commercial, downtown area keeping it removed from the "residential" areas where the drama has been played out.

3. If going on a tour of Tijuana and I dare say, Ensenada, you should be able to feel safe enough because Tour companies, especially those based in San Diego, would suspend tours if it became truly dangerous in this part of Mexico.

Comments