Sheraton San Diego Mission Valley

1433 Camino Del Rio South, (Formerly Radisson), San Diego, California, 92108, United States
Sheraton Mission Valley San Diego Hotel
Orbitz.com Sheraton.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 39% less than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Sheraton San Diego Mission Valley

An Older Hotel That Is Not Kept Up

I just recently returned from a trip to San Diego (July 27 through August 3, 2005). During my stay I spent some time with relatives and part of the time on my own with hotel accomodations. It was difficult getting a reservation since there were several conferences going on however, I finally got a reservation through the San Diego Concierge at the Sheraton Mission Valley Hotel. I stayed two nights. The hotel was located off I-8 and Del Camina Real. It was really hard to get to the hotel after exiting the Freeway and I went around in circles before I finally figured out that you had to loop around to the service drive to get to the hotel as it was situated parallel to the I-8 freeway. The hotel was a shabby older hotel in the middle of nowhere. There were no other hotels on Del Camina Real and no place to eat other than Denny's and Wendy's. I did not feel safe at this hotel traveling alone. The decorum in the hotel was outdated and the lighting in the room was poor. I booked a king bed however when I arrived I had two queen beds. I paid $139 the first night and $179 the second night. I thought it was over priced. On the second day of my stay my room hadn't been cleaned by 2:00 p.m. I had to go to the front desk to report on housekeeping so that they could clean my room. The one meal I had in the hotel was not great either. I had breakfast there before I checked out. I waited a long while, they got the order wrong and when they finally delivered a ham and cheese omelette I couldn't eat it. It didn't taste very good. I sent it back. They didn't charge me for the meal. The only good thing about the stay was that a shopping plaza was across from the hotel with a Nordstrom's Rack and Sak's Fifth Avenue Outlet and a few other discount stores which I visited a couple of times after I figured out how to get across I-8 from my hotel. This is one hotel that I don't recommend especially for women traveling alone.

Just an average hotel

by TripAdvisor Member leahmsherman

We stayed for three nights in August. They appear to have serious housekeeping problems. After the first night our room was never cleaned at all and after the second night all of the "used" soap was removed from the room and not replaced.
The hallways and public areas seemed a little dated but the room was very nice. And, of course, the sweet sleeper bed was wonderful.
The hotel is in a good location for exploring the city and parking is reasonably priced, although we did have trouble finding parking spaces.
The front desk staff was very helpful.
Overall, I'd recommend the hotel because it is relatively clean, has a good location and is very reasonably priced but don't go in expecting very much.

Decent Choice

by TripAdvisor Member raincheck10

Stayed here for 5 nights in August and found the hotel to be an "ok" choice in the Mission Valley area. Parking was free and the location of the hotel made travel to all the usual tourist attractions very easy and fast. It seemed it took no more than 10 minutes to get anywhere. The Fashion Valley Mall (high end stores) is five minutes away and numerous restaurants are nearby. Also, the trolley is across the highway (we used it to get to Petco Park).

Checkin was fast but when I suggested an upgrade for free or pay, I was met with a blank stare. The first room I got was on the hillside as suggested by other reviewers, it reeked of smoke (on a no smoking floor). I changed rooms and the only thing available was on the highway side. Noise did not bother me at all.

Rooms were good, but no minibar or refridgerator and the TV lacked Nick and Cartoon network for the kids. Constantly had to ask for more towels, the maid did not seem to get we were a family of four.

Food and seervice in the hotel dining room was very good but a little over priced. I guess your paying for the convienece. If you have a car you will not be eating here very often. There is a Denny's one block away for breakfast.

Pool area was good. Nice size pool and hot tub. Towels were available at the pool. Its the type of pool where you dont want to hang around all day but nice enough to come back to after a long day of touring.

Summary

I got the room for free using Starwood points and it was fine. If I was paying $150 - $200 I would look elsewhere.

Very friendly staff and GREAT location!

My husband, 17 year old daughter and her friend, and I stayed here Aug. 16-20/05. We really enjoyed our stay as it was our first time visiting San Diego. The room was spacious and clean and we looked out at a hill and the pool. We stayed on the Club Floor as I am a Starwood member. Membership (FREE) provided us with evening drinks and appetizers and our complimentary continental breakfast (there was always something hot as well) that were served in the lounge on the Club Floor. We also received a newspaper at our door each morning. The beds were extremely comfortable and we also requested a folding bed which was a full twin. There was still lots of room to move around in the room. Joan, the Concierge was extremely helpful in planning and booking visits to various sights around town. The girls favourite was the Ghosts and Gravestones Tour of the Old Town. My husband and I ate in the restaurant late one evening and found the food to be well presented and delicious. All the wait staff and hotel staff were extremely helpful at all times. The front desks sells discount tickets to Sea World and The San Diego Zoo...very handy! The hotel is well located close to major highways which makes it easy to get around. We would definitely stay there again.

Its good and bad, but I got an invitation to go back for another try

by TripAdvisor Member CaliFlip

This was my first time staying at a Sheraton hotel, and this was quite an interesting experience, I was mad and happy all at once during my short trip. We were in San Diego for only 2 nights of our 5 day southern california trip.

We arrived late on a Wednesday night, having driven from the Northern California Bay Area, and I was really looking forward to this nice hotel. It looked okay outside, and seemed pleasant enough when we checked in. The old filipino man was extremely friendly, and repeatedly said that if anything wasn't to our satisfaction, to call the front desk and let them know. Well, we asked for a bellhop because we had my one year old toddler w/us and alot of stuff to carry, and a friendly young man kindly helped me to our room while my husband parked the car. My daughter was fast asleep so I was anxious to get to our room. When we got to our room, the bellhop offered to open the door for me since I was holding my daughter.

Well, here's problem situation #1: the door was locked and wouldn't open. I suggested that someone was already occupying the room, and the bellhop agreed. (This has happened to me before at another hotel in the Gaslamp quarter about 4 years ago) He told me to wait there by the elevator while he went to the front desk to resolve the matter. He came back, kindly apologized for the mixup and said we were going back down to the second floor. He gives up comp meal tickets for the inconvenience.

So we get to our second floor room, its nice, clean, and the beds are comfortable. The next morning, as I went to use the fitness room, I noticed staff moving mattresses in the hallway to the elevator. After using the fitness room, I saw the same staff moving more mattresses. So I go to our room, which like a previous reviewer, was next to the balcony, where I saw staff putting tables out (we were told there was going to be a jewelry show starting on friday). Ok, so I hop into the shower to get ready for breakfast and our trip to the SD Zoo. Just as I start my the shower, SITUATION #2 happens: my husband pops his head in the bathroom telling me that the manager is moving us to a suite because they mistakenly gave us this room when it was already fully booked for the jewelry show, so someone will be knocking at our door in 30 minutes to move us.

Ok, so now I'm annoyed because we've got stuff out everywhere (toiletries, my daughter's toys, etc) and now I've got to hurry up and shower and pack everything up. Well, we're done in half an hour,no one shows up, my husband calls the front desk and the suite isn't ready yet. Ok, so we tell the front desk that we're going down to the restaurant to have breakfast and we'll check back w/them after our meal so that we can move our stuff and get our new room key for the suite.

PROBLEM SITUATION #3: We go to the restaurant, the staff is nice, we order breakfast, and there is a hair intertwined in my husband's scrambled eggs,and he noticed it as he was about to take his first bite. He tells the waitress, she apologizes, takes the eggs away and comes back 5 mins later. I joked that all they will do is shuffle the eggs around on the griddle and give them back to him. So the eggs are hot, he eats half the eggs, and lo and behold, ANOTHER HAIR! He is so disgusted, he puts his fork down and says he'll wait in the lobby. Another lady checks on us(not sure if she's management) and asks if everything is ok, and I explained the situation. She started to say she'd comp the meal til she saw the meal comp tickets on the table. So all she did was apologize, and so we left.

Our suite was finally available, and we were kindly shown the way by a bellhop who said it was the best room in the place. It was the best room because it was on the corner w/the huge wrap around balcony, but the view was off the freeway and the mall. Nice high ceilings and bar area. It had a nice living room, but I do agree, the carpets need work. I think only this suite has the sheraton robes everyone looks for, haha! The bathroom was huge, and I decided to use the hot tub/spa since I've never experienced that at a hotel, but it was soo noisy filling up, and as when I drained the tub, the jets that circulated the water were so strong that they sprayed water everywhere, and the floors were drenched!

Anyways, I complained about these inconveniences to Sheraton AFTER my stay, and the manager of the hotel addressed my issues, and invited me back to give them another try, so I got a one night comp to come back..

I think that I will definitely take them up on the offer because the rooms are generally ok and the staff was very friendly.

Beware the Restaurant!

My husband and I stayed at this hotel because we have a dog, and the hotel is dog-friendly. We stayed in one of the Club suites, which was just ok. We stayed at a Westin just before this hotel - and it was a major step down.
Definately dated - the table looked like it was something a college student might not even have in a first apartment...the couch had some disgusting stains all over it. We liked the size of the suite and the nice comfy beds.
Warning: Be VERY careful of the food from the restaurant (Andre's). We ordered room service one night - I ordered a filet. The meat was bad! I have no idea how the person cooking it did not smell it! I took the warmer top off of the plate and it smelled like feet. Turned out it was the meat. VERY disgusting.
They replaced the meal with a squash ravioli dinner (i thought that could not be too easy to screw up) which was edible but seriously floating in sauce. My husband had a shrimp scampi pasta dish that was floating in butter and not very edible.
They credited us the difference b/t the filet and the ravioli. I thought it might be nice of them to comp the ravioli meal, but they did not.
Anyhow - eat the food at your own risk. We won't be back to this hotel.

Just average

by TripAdvisor Member meskhan14

We stayed here for 2 days. Got a good deal from priceline. Location is EXCELLENT. Rooms were very clean. But few other problems were - Internet was v.Expensive to use (yes in this day in age!)
Toilet flush knob BROKE!
Everything is of extra charge!
As the hotel is overlooking the freeway - you can hear the traffic inside the room. We had to blow the airconditioner to block to street noise.
The washroom counter was extremely small - I could hardly put anything on the counter
The Shower head was for kids :) it was installed v. low
Towels were bleached so much that it felt like I was using paper.

yes I know these were all picky lill things - Overall the room was clean, staff was very friendly, the pool area was v. nice..

Great Hotel - Will go back for sure

We had a great time in San Diego during the Thanksgiving holiday. This hotel was wonderful!!! They had a special Thanksgiving brunch and it was awesome. A little pricey - $35.00 per person, but it was certainly worth it. The beds were very comfortable, the staff were friendly and we had a great time. The shuttle drivers were great. We did not rent a car -- the drivers were able to drop off/pick us up at SeaWorld, Zoo, Old Town, Seaport Village, etc. They would also give you suggestions on where to go. Very friendly and down to earth!!!

This hotel was in a very convenient location. The City Tour on the trolley was also very good. Suggest you go early in the morning so that you can hop off at the various stops and get back on.

Great location with some issues

by TripAdvisor Member ChristianK

From august 17-23 we stayed with 2 adults and two kids (7/10) at the Sheraton using my starwood points to stay on the club floor level. The hotel is very centrally located with easy access to San Diego and its attractions and to a nearby shopping center. If a central location is key for your stay this hotel is a good choice, however the service (reception) was below average and the hotel might require some minor clean up. The club service staff was extremely helpful and polite.

So So

by TripAdvisor Member tzinnca

This hotel is lit by spotlight type lighting so that is is visible to freeway travelers. If you get a room on the freeway side of the hotel, expect bright lights to shine through the window all night long. Even the thick curtains couldnt keep the light out, as all curtains have a small crack. Also, never take a room by the elevator. The headboard is right up against the elevator shaft and you hear it all through the day and night. Other than those two issues, the hotel is so so in decor and in a good location for business travelers.

im 15 and Visiting San Diego in March.. shearton hotel and marina?

by kla009

Hey everyone, im 15.. visiting California for the first time ( I never get out of snowy minnesota) and my mom and a friend just booked tickets at the Shearton hotel and marina. I have read many reviews on the hotel and A LOT of them are bad.. which surprises me because on the site it looks nice. If any one has stayed in that hotel ( I'm staying in the west tower) and has any feedback.. it would be greatly appreciated! Also, my friend and I want to possibly get some reasonable surfing lessons, if anyone has any ideas please let me know. We are going towards the end of march (Spring break).. is the weather pretty good around that time? (beaches warm enough to swim) Well, any feedback please reply.. thank you!!

by brotherleelove

There's a good reason why people take the time to leave feedback about hotels, so if you're reading a lot of negative reviews the chances are that there's something wrong there. You might be better off looking for another hotel that doesn't make you worry. This is your vacation, you should be able to go and have fun and not have to think about the quality of your hotel.

Contact your hotel and ask the concierge for information about surfing lessons. The weather will be great, especially compared to Minnesota in late March. Have a great time!

by ct-bound

Don't worry too much about your hotel... myself and another girlfriend drove to San Diego (from Canada) when we were both 17, and stayed in the very cheapest 'Motel 6' we could find, in an area which we later found had a bad rep. We had no problems, after all, you're there for the sun and the beach, right? As long as you have a clean bed and a shower, what else do you need?

Have fun and enjoy the sunshine!

Re: Re: im 15 and Visiting San Diego in March.. shearton hotel and marina?

by spartan

Hi,

Not sure which sources you are getting your information from, but the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina is a very nice establishment. Although very close to the airport, you don't hear the planes and you have a view of San Diego Harbor, downtown and the Pacific Ocean. Although I have not stayed here, I did attend a get together in one of the guest suites and it was magnificient. Parking can be a pain as you have to pay top dollar to keep your car there.

Spartan

by Virtuous_Tourist

San Diego has great weather year round. It will probably be too cold for swimming in March though. Most surfers of course get around this by using wetsuits..They surf year 'round down there..

Comments