Sheraton Suites San Diego

Declan Suites San Diego
Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 49% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• dland007's Profile Photo

Great room (suite) and great views

We stayed here just one night on our way on to Coronado Island. I booked this hotel via Priceline.com not knowing what to expect. I was very pleasantly surprised! I not only got a great rate, but also a suite instead of just a normal hotel room. The furnishing and decor were terrific. I will definitely book here again if the opportunity arises!

Unique Quality: Great views of downtown San Diego.

Directions: About a 5 minute drive from San Diego Int'l airport.

More about Sheraton Suites San Diego

Great Stay in San Diego

by TripAdvisor Member moopy23

The Sheraton Suites San Diego was an excellent choice for us during a extended business trip to San Diego. The front desk staff and concierge were very friendly and very willing to help. I want to make sure I cover all aspects from our stay, so I will start from the beginning.

When we arrived in San Diego, we rented an SUV (I think it was like a GMC Envoy). Well anyway, when we arrived at the hotel, we were able to see first hand the parking situation (we read the other reviews). Imagine a spiral staircase, that's what the first 7 floors of the parking garage looks like. You drive up this spiral deck (be reminded, its only one lane) until you get to the 7th floor, then you get to a regular parking deck that's extra narrow. Finally, when you arrive to the 11th floor, you may park and then take the elevator to the 12th level for the hotel lobby. Ok, that was a mouth full (if I may add, I would suggest using valet, it's only an additional $3).

When we arrived in the lobby, we were greeted by the staff who were very friendly and helpful. After checking in, we were assigned to the 26th floor for being Platinum Guests (although you may upgrade to Club Level for an additional $40 a night). The rooms were nice (see attached photos) and comfy (especially the bed). The amenities were nice, and the snack bar is quite expensive as one would expect. The exercise facility is pretty nice (2 treadmills, 1 stairmaster, 1 elliptical, 2 bikes and 1 home gym). The pool is a little small but sufficient and the hot tub is excellent. The concierge was really helpful in helping us find restaurants and shopping (since a lot of the restaurant are in walking distance, I would recommend Asti in Gaslamp; really good food!).

If you happen to stay on the Club Level, breakfast (and one complementary wine/beer per night) is included in your rate ($16 breakfast if not). The breakfast was pretty good, but if you are staying for a week, you get tired of the same items every morning. I would suggest they change it up a bit every now and then.

From the 26th floor the view is good (see photos we were in room 2603) if you are not to close to another building (Merill Lynch).

Overall I think the hotel was an excellent stay. It was very quiet and peaceful and you are definitely able to get a good night sleep. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member javalinas_mom

Stayed Aug 3-5/05, we arrived very late after picking up someone from LAX. We checked in at 2:30am and while we had reserved a non-smoking room - we were given a smoking room (ick). Anyways - we were too tired to bother complaining so went to sleep. In the morning, we went to the front desk and told them that we needed to be moved. We were moved to a non-smoking floor (20th) while we were out - which was nice we didn't have to do it ourselves.
The hotel has valet parking ($23/day) or self parking for ($20/day) - for $3/day who needs the aggravation of going up several floors (at least 9)?
The room was pretty clean and pretty much matched the pictures. I'm always leery of opening up the honor bar so we didn't break the seal in order to store our things.
The room had a little wet bar for the coffee maker and a separate shower and tub which was nice. The bathroom is also set up as a semi-ensuite with entrances from both the main room and the bedroom.
The front desk person we dealt with to resolve issues was awesome but the person who checked us in didn't have a clue!
We used travel points to pay for the stay so I don't know what a fair price for this hotel should be.

Everything was good but not great

by TripAdvisor Member quickjaunt

Nice hotel. From maps of San Diego, it looks like a short walk to the Gas Lamp, but its a liitle far. Valet parking is 23/day and a little slow(30 minutes to get car). High speed internet access is 10.99 for 24 hours. Rooms are nice, bathroom has separate shower and tub, mini bar, two tv's, sofa, chair and nice desk for working. If I were on business, this would be ok to stay. If I were on vacation, I would look for something closer to Horton Plaza or the Gaslamp.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Mabrooks

We stayed for 3 nights - staff was terrific - very helpful and always smiling. The parking structure is definitely different - but we parked our car and walked and cabbed and used the trolley. Close to Petco - Balboa Park - an the Gaslamp. Hotel was clean and the beds are great. Would stay there again. Cost was comparable to other hotels we looked at in the same area.

Nice Place

by TripAdvisor Member Kamabuki

The Sheraton Suites is a nice place. Rooms were nicely appointed - although I thought the bathroom was a little dated. The bathtub, shower & toilet were in a seperate room from the sink and mirror which is nice. The staff were very friendly and helpfull. An easy walk to the gaslamp quarter or the trolly station. Cab fare to/from the airport was about $12 each way. It would have been nice if The Sheraton Suites had a complimentary shuttle van. I would stay here again.

Pleasant stay overall

by TripAdvisor Member USCgirlie

We stayed at the Sheraton Suites for the July 4th weekend with our Starwood Starpoints. Although it turned out to be a pleasant stay, our intial impression was not very good -- when we asked hotel staff if we could park in the parking lot, he was unnecessarily snobby and aloof. (By the way, it costs about $24 to park in the lot per day.) We ended up just finding street parking. Next, we checked in. We had asked for a non-smoking suite, but somehow we were given a former-smoking suite. The person at the front desk was very apologetic about that, but said that they would spray the room so we couldn't smell the remnants of past smoke. That was a bit off-putting, but when we opened the door to our suite, we were pleasantly surprised. It was very spacious, and the view our hotel room had was pretty nice. We were even able to view some of the fireworks from our room! I liked how the living room was separated from our bedroom with french doors. The bathroom was a bit weird -- the sink was separated from the shower and toilet area with a series of sliding doors that were sometimes hard to slide completely shut. Nonetheless, it was fine. The bed was extremely comfortable and gave us some good night's sleep!

We used both the jacuzzi and the (small) swimming pool, but it was always crowded. Nonetheless, once people started leaving, it became more pleasant to use.

The only complaints we had were basically the snooty staff at the entrance of the hotel as well as the noise level -- the walls seem to be very thin -- I could hear my neighbor! Besides that, I would stay at the hotel again. While it's not completely central to the San Diego sites, it was fine enough, and in a rather safe area as well.

Not Top Tier

by TripAdvisor Member DDMMM

Went to San Diego to see the Padres in the new downtown ballpark, and we needed a room that was close to the park and could sleep all five of us. Picked this hotel as it could accomodate us and was not too far. The positives: staff is service oriented, hotel is generally upscale, restaurant has a very nice ambiance, and it's within walking distance to Petco Park (about 1 mile/10-15 min). The negatives: the room itself had a dated feel, especially the bathroom. In our room, the shower door was literally coming off the hinge. Also, the sheets on the sleeper bed were not clean, but to the credit of the staff, they immediately brought clean linens and comped us two breakfasts.

We just came back from a stay in Las Vegas at the Wynn, where we had an enormous state of the art suite in a brand new hotel, so our opinion of this hotel might have suffered a bit for the comparison. But I think it's fair to say that overall, the Sheraton Suites is a nice hotel, just not 4 stars and not the best value at about $300 a night.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member thenewbombs

We stayed here for our anniversary this past week and were pleasantly surprised. The staff goes out of their way to be pleasant, helpful and very friendly. We upgraded to a club floor which was well work the extra $30 or so with the free internet, drink and breakfast coupons, etc.

We also had a lovely, large room on the top floor facing the Coronado bridge and Petco park. We brought our two dogs (Sheraton, owned by Westin, is very pet friendly) and the staff was very accommodating.

The Gaslamp is less than a 10 minute walk but we found an amazing restaurant, Cafe Cerise, which was only a block or two away on 6th Avenue. You are also close to Balboa Park as you are on the north side of downtown.

Overall, we really enjoyed ourselves here and were very pleased with the quality of the rooms, service and food.

Nice Downtown Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member frugalguy

My wife, child and myself stayed here in December 2005. Overall, a nice hotel. What you would expect from a large chain like Sheraton. Great views from our room of the city. It seemed like all the rooms had a view. Good service and convenient location, easy access to freeways. Keep in mind this is downtown, you are not going to do much walking around here with your family. An earlier poster said, "safe area", I would not walk around here at night so I would not consider this safe. Lots of transients in this area. If you are driving everywhere, not a problem. Parking is quite an ordeal. Hotel parking is on the 12th floor of the parking structure for $20 a day. You can valet and pay $24 a day but I saw the way those guys were driving the cars and I wouldn't trust them in that parking lot. Anyway, overall this is a nice downtown hotel in a business district. The suites are nice because the bedroom is enclosed if you are traveling with more than 2. I don't think I would stay here again though unless I got a real good deal. We paid $105 a night on Hotwire.

Comments