711 Pacific Beach Dr., San Diego, California, 92109, United States

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Average

• Ribez's Profile Photo

On the sandy beach

Me and my wife stayed in Surfer Beach Hotel for few days. I can say just compliments to this hotel. Price was around 100 USD for both and it was great experience for us to live for few days on the Californian Beach. Boys and girls in reception are very kind and full of trip advices and practical tips.

Unique Quality: Very good location. Right on the beach. Chech the pictures below. It was taken from our room.

Directions: North part of Mission Bay.

• Beach front...amazing french cafe infront of it

It was amazing. I would wake up in the morning only by the smell of the ocean. You step out of your room door and just two steps aways there is this amazing frech cafe that makes the best crepes that i have ever had. You enjoy breakfast there and then you can do anything you want that has to do with water sports. My preference, surfing. There are surf shops around there to if you don't have a surfboard that you can rent one for the whole day and is really cheap as well.

Unique Quality: Great views....

More about Surfer Beach Hotel

Perfect Thanksgiving

We stayed at the Surfer Beach Hotel over Thanksgiving and would rate the hotel a 10+.The room #207 was huge, clean and had a view of the ocean and surfers. The room had been remodeled with all new furnishing(microwave, refrig, tile floors, granite counter top, 2 tvs, and a perfect comfortable bed. The room was exceptionally clean and the view was great from the 2nd floor( I can only imagine what a wonderful view the top floors had. They now charge $6 a night for parking which is a deal in Pacific Beach. If you want a nice clean room with a view and on the ocean stay at the Surfer Beach Hotel

Great hotel for the price

We stayed at the Surfer Beach Hotel from 2/23/05-2/28/05. We were on the 3rd floor. They are renovating the 1st floor but they have signs on all the doors and in the lobby. We were only woken up one morning with sounds of jackhammers and it wasn't until 8:00. The rooms are great with wonderful views of the ocean.
The location of this hotel you just can't beat! It is a quick and easy drive to downtown San Diego, La Jolla, Old Town and the airport. There are a lot of transients on the beach especially at night but during the day the beach and boardwalk are hopping with tourists. It's a great walk every morning along the boardwalk. Also the sunset can't be beat from your balcony!
We ate at the restraunt World Famous for dinner and for brunch and it was great!
The only problems we encountered were my sister was traveling with us and when I made the reservations we confirmed 2 non-smoking king rooms. When we checked in the room under my sister's name was a smoking room. The desk person stated that they were booked solid and you'd never even notice that it was a smoking room. It wasn't the worse smelling room but you could tell it had been smoked in.
The other problem we noticed was the lighting by the elevators needs to be upgraded. It is very dark and made us uncomfortable when waiting awhile for the elevator. The same for the stairwell.
All in all we had a great trip! We paid 89 dollars a night. What a great value!

Great place to stay but beware of high internet phone charges!

We stayed at the Surfer Beach Hotel from 12/26-12/30. The room was 312. The view is grand. The new bed is wonderful. The room is considered a Jr. Suite. It is too small to be a suite. It has 2 tv's in one big room. There is a hide a bed sofa and a very small table.
The microwave and wet bar area counter is very high. I am 5'4" and the sink was a stretch to reach. In the bathroom there is only one glass shelf and it is taken up with the toiletries that they furnish. Only one towel bar and the rest of the towels are on the back of the toilet. I think another shelf and towel bar would make a weeks stay much nicer.
Beware if you are an internet user. The local phone calls are very expensive. There is not only a connect fee, but a per minute charge. Four days using the internet cost as much as one night of room rate!!!!!
I think with a few changes I would rate this as one of the best on the beach. As it is now, I will look at the other hotels in the area the next time I go to San Diego.

Location great, but some problems.

by TripAdvisor Member dweebe

The Surfer Beach hotel was pretty nice, but there are some issues.

The rooms have no A/C and you have to keep your sliding glass/screen door open in order to get any air circulation. Add to that, the balconies are public so people can walk right past your room and see in if they want to.

The room we stayed in only had a shower stall. The problem is that the shower head is set so low that even Danny DeVito would have a hard time taking a good shower. I'm 6' 3" and the roof to the shower stall was only about 1/2 inch from my head. The shower head was about half way down my chest: I had to get down on my knees when washing my hair.

However the room we stayed in had been recently renovated. The bed and bedding felt very good. The towels were very large and thick.

Our view from the third floor to the beach was great. Sitting on our public balcony watching the sunset while drinking a bottle of wine was wonderful.

Loved the new Surfer look

by TripAdvisor Member Mingospanky

I stayed at the Surfer in late September 2004.. I was pleasantly suprised to find newly appointed rooms, granite counter tops, great warm color scheme, and everything immaculate, quite a change from the brochure we had seen months ago. The price was right ($140) for the top floor with a great view of the ocean, we even saw a surfing contest from the balcony. We ate dinner at the World-Famous restaurant adjacent to the hotel
and enjoyed it. Had a small problem with parking, while I was turning in my mandatory parking tag to the desk at check-out (gone six minutes at the most) I returned to my car to find it being hooked up to a tow trucK for NO PARKING TAG! Checkout is 11:00am( it was 10:50 am) so you think they would at least check at the office first. Other than that, a good experience, would stay there again.

What a wonderful Place to visit

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Surfer Hotel for our 2 year anniversary! We both had the most wonderful time ever! There's so many things to do that are just near the hotel or not too far away! We went on an aircraft carrier, the zoo, surfing, casinos, Old Town, Little Italy!! Its just an awesome place to go and get away, staff was very friendly and helpful, even printed out directions for us to the zoo!! They just remodeled the hotel, and boy did they put in NICE beds! I didn't want to leave, so we even stayed an extra day!!! If you love visiting San Diego, you'll love this hotel!!!

Surfer has great possibilities, but

by TripAdvisor Member MJBing

I would give the Surfer a 4 star rating but, we had a few problems.

Let me preceed this with, the end results. We really loved staying at the Surfer. It had a nice bed, ample space and the location was great.

I booked my one night stay for the surfer two months in advance based soley on the reviews in this forum. We were promised a king bed, non smoking with an ocean view for a quoted price. I was also told I would get an email confirmation. (this never came). Two days prior to arrival, I called the hotel and was told i would have two double beds and the rate would be more that what I was quoted at. I explained I would be staying a night of my Honeymoon there and was promised i would get the room that I was quoted at.

Upon arrival, i was told we were going to the two bedroom double at the higher rate. I expained my conversation with the hotel desk two days prior and was switched to my oringinal room request.

When we got to the room, it was very messy, it had not been cleaned, but it appeared the bed was made and linens were new (although I did not know this considering there was paper all over the counters, trash in the cans, etc...). We immediately called down to the desk and the room was cleaned within an hour.

For the price that we payed, dispite the hassel, we were happy with the room and location. Be careful when reserving here that you get what you request. AND hand in your parking pass, there is a $50 charge they make you initial by to aknowledge....

Surfer would be a 4 star without the problems we had...

Great location

Just spent a weekend at the Surfer Beach, adjoining room with my sister and nephew. Beds were excellent, tv nice and big, lots of ice, large enough patio that we could enjoy afternoon sunshine. Hear the waves all night. Hotel is dated, cracked sidewalks and very slow elevator. Right on the beach, though and you hear the soothing waves all night. More of a place for young adults, no kids, as there are lots of homeless on the beach, along with lots of boardwalk traffic. The restarurant called World Famous is excellent, right next door. I would stay again, rates are good, and the room is nice.

Comments