5300 Grand Del Mar Court, San Diego, California, 92130, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

More about The Grand Del Mar

The Grand Lives Up To Its Name

by TripAdvisor Member Lazydaisy92

Spent 10 days recently at The Grand Del Mar, just outside San Diego, California, and cannot praise it enough. We booked it from the website when some of our first choices could not offer us the dates we wanted. I'm so glad of that as The Grand Del Mar was fab! It has only been open 10 months so they are still building a reputation which is partly why I wanted to get my comments out there. I visited with my husband and teenage daughter and we all were very impressed with buildings, staff and the setting.
All rooms have lovely views of either gardens, pools or golf course. One of the things we enjoyed the most was the fact that there are four swimmimg pools, one for adults only and no mobiles allowed! it was great to relax and read without the noise that accompanies families splashing and shouting around the pool. There were a lot of families staying ther, mostly with very young children, and they had a beautiful pool and child pool with also a paddling area and some sand to play with, all in a very beautiful setting with plenty of umbrellas and cabanas to shade little ones when the sun got too strong.
We went there primarily to relax as we sandwiched our stay between two visits to New York and it fulfilled our needs superbly. If you want to go out and about, Los Angeles is only a two hour drive away and there are loads of other places nearby such as San Diego town, the Zoo, Sea World and also brilliant shopping malls and outlets.

Golden and Big

by TripAdvisor Member CAKarenOrangeCounty

The hotel was built to compete with the Four Seasons in nearby Carlsbad. The Grand Del Mar has a wonderful property, 2 large pools for families with children overlooking the golf course and 1 adult pool adjacent to the spa. I think on the pool level they beat the Four Season's; FS has 1 very crowded family pool.
I had 2 spa appointments - the treatments were just okay, the staff did not have the level of experience that one will enjoy at the Four Seasons.
The staff at the Grand Del Mar were all very helpful and nice; we enjoyed excellent service.
The bad were the little charges that I hate at hotels. The game room had a $15 per child per hour charge - my 11 & 14 year old were just playing a video game and ping pong and did not need supervision. The hotel also charges you $25 to use the spa facility if you don't have an appointment. At least the fitness room was free.
The interior of the hotel was done with a lot of marble and gold. Very overdone and the hotel is difficult to navigate through, it's like a maze.
The "Fazio" golf course is a golf course which was redesigned by Fazio. My husband and children played it and had an enjoyable time. Non members must take along a caddy which is included in the greens fees.

Fabulous, Fabulous, Fabulous

by TripAdvisor Member Picky_Traveler020

We visited the Grand Del Mar for a couple of nights in March. There is nothing about this hotel we did not like. The decor is exquisite, the food superb and the service flawless. We are very, very picky travelers and this hotel is hands down one of the best we have ever stayed in. When we went in March there were very few people (or so it seemed) at the hotel. We had cocktails in the lounge - we were the only ones there. It made us feel that we had the entire property to ourselves. We were attending the WCC tournament and had a late dinner both nights at Amaya. Both nights the food was superb. We enjoy taking our time over dinner and ended up being the last people to leave the restaurant. At no time did the staff ever make us feel hurried. We had a wonderful time. In fact, we are going back again in August!

Perfection in San Diego

by TripAdvisor Member CTrip

I write this review as I'm sadly returning home to Los Angeles. I had the most spectacular weekend at The Grand Del Mar in San Diego. I really could have stayed another 5 days, without stepping a foot out of the resort, or experiencing an ounce of boredom. I felt like a member of the Royal family-having tasted some of the best cuisine, indulged in cathartic spa treatments, and waited upon by excellent hotel staff who wore their Grand Del Mar titles with the utmost pride. The resort is not near the ocean, and doesn't purport itself to be. It's situated alongside a canyon of preserved land on approximately 400+ acres. The grounds are pristine and expansive. The landscaping is a smorgasbord of color with varietal plants and flowers that are so inviting to the touch and smell. I adored the interior design. Grand Del Mar spared not a penny, but the resort did not feel ostentatious or too precious for its guests. The color schemes were right on. Such details as the hand painted, stenciled ceilings in the rooms and private villas, and framed vintage Hermes scarfs all contributed to the coziness and warmth of the resort. It was not hard to befriend the hotel staff-Kirk and Bryan, the bell boys were hardworking college students who took their jobs seriously. Mr. Thomas Voss, President of the resort is a friendly family man--he welcomed me with open arms and a hearty fun laugh. He asked my opinion about the resort and seemed truly open to suggestions. I learned croquet from a nice lady named Lynn. Took a golf lesson from a very encouraging and patient teacher Wyatt (he had me hitting balls over 180 yds 10 minutes into my very first try at the sport!). Jason McLeod, an Executive Chef was just adorable. He prepared my friends and I the most delicious bbq dinner of lobster, red shrimp from the Gulf coast, swordfish, and the most tender, flavorful steak I have ever had. Then there's Jesse, the Sommelier. He's a wunderkind in the wine industry and is so exuberantly passionate about his profession. His love of wine and beer was so apparent in his beaming smile-how could one not want to drink like a fish with Jesse minding the pour? I started my mornings with a hike through Los Penasquitos canyon, only a short 2 minute drive from the resort. The meadows were "Sound of Music" gorgeous. I saw toads the size of rabbits. The hiking guide Dylan was an encyclopedia of knowledge, providing another level of appreciation for our surroundings by sharing historical facts about the area we were trekking on. I ate at Addison Restaurant, which lived up to its 5-star rating. Chef Michael Wetherly can do no wrong in my eyes. I can honestly say I inhaled the most delicious potato gnocchi of my life. Dare I say even better than the gnocchi dishes I lived off of during my 8 months of residency in Italy. The salmon was slow roasted in a black truffle butter, cooked until medium rare. No chewing necessary...it simply melted in my mouth. For dessert I ordered the panna cotta with white chocolate shavings nestled in a coconut tapioca soup. It took me a mere 5 minutes to lick my bowl clean. The spa was dreamy. I indulged in a 90-min facial, followed by a signature clay rub which does in fact activate circulation. My reflexes were in overdrive that I almost kicked my masseuse in the face as she was massaging my feet! All of their products are organic. I especially loved the Ginger Lime body wash and green tea cookies. There's a cafe in the resort that serves delicious gelato, a perfect treat for the long day worth of activities. I was showered with love and attention and dismiss anyone's criticism that the resort may be "too much." The Grand Del Mar is a special place, staffed with special people. I was hesitant to go in the beginning, wondering how one could go to San Diego for a weekend retreat and not stay at the beach. Not once did I long for a grain of sand during my vacation. The Grand Del Mar delivered in spades.

Fantastic

by TripAdvisor Member dtc123

I don't know what some of the complaints on this site were about. We had a fantastic experience at the Grand Del Mar. Facilities are top notch, better than any domestic resort I've stayed at. The attention to detail in the construction is quite striking. The resort was built like a custom home and not like a hotel in the details (moldings, door handles, carpet, furniture). Much higher quality workmanship than Four Seasons or Ritz.

We found the service absolutely terrific and the staff went above and beyond for us. We went to the bakery at 5pm in the afternoon, obviously after the morning peak time for muffins and croissants. My wife had a craving for a chocolate croissant and they had run out of them by late morning that day. They were really apologetic. Later that evening we found the attendant had left two chocolate croissants, a glass of milk and a personal note hoping we enjoyed our stay. They had the room service kitchen specially bake us the croissants that evening for us.

The gym was great, the spa is amazing, and the swimming pools were perfectly heated. Overall a fantastic resort. It is landlocked and not near the beach, but other than that, no complaints and only accolades. We will go back in the future.

This Place Is Incredible!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member sfskl

My husband's company put us up here for a retreat. This is by far, hands-down, the NICEST PLACE I have ever stayed at, and I've stayed at some pretty nice places! It's brand-new, just opened in Oct. 2007. It's everything you could possibly want and more! It is VERY EXPENSIVE, and we wouldn't stay there on our own unless it was a splurge, but if you are looking to treat yourself, look no further!

Best kept secret in California

by TripAdvisor Member Liefie040

From the moment we entered these premises, we were in awe - the most beautiful setting with rolling fairways, swimming pools and palm trees - a real oasis. This hotel rating should be a 6 star. We are well-
travelled and very fussy travellers. It is a brand new hotel with all the luxuries you can imagine - from gold taps to marble floors. The restaurant was magnificent with the best cuisine. Our room fridge was not working when we arrived, which was replaced, and for our inconvenience the front desk manager Matt Higginson offered complimentary drinks and dinner! The conscierge and front desk staff were very friendly and exceptionally efficient. This hotel is a hidden gem and was by far the best stay we've had on our 3 week trip in California!

Amazingly Grand

by TripAdvisor Member miami_gal_48

The hotel is beautiful! The staff was superb! The food was exquisite! and our entire stay was amazing! From the moment you check in, you are treated as royalty. The gentlemen at the door kindly greeted us and offered assistance with our luggage on our way to the front desk. The bellhop, Kirk, showed us everything we needed to know about the resort and the room. The rooms are simply breathtaking. Our standard room was the size of a suite in most hotels! Every last detail was thought of and taken care of. We had breakfast and dinner at the Amaya which was casual, yet very elegant at the same time. Our server for breakfast, Crystal, was very kind and helpful and recommended some sites for us to visit around the area. Our favorite activity was lounging by the pool as our server, Jacob, brought us fresh lemonades as our day at the track unwound. We did not have a chance to visit the spa, but we only heard good things from the other guests we met at the lobby lounge during drinks. The service throughout the hotel, from the housekeepers to the valet drivers was impeccable. We found the hotel by accident, but our next visit will be on purpose. Our entire stay, from start to finish was fabulous and we hope to visit again soon in the fall.

Over The Top

by TripAdvisor Member sck1

Outstanding, took our breath away upon arrival and then touring this property. They left nothing out in providing a very upscale place. Our room was very big ( overlooking the adult pool/spa) and the bathroom was huge and lavash with tile, marble shower, twin sinks, and enough towels for 6 people. Another nice touch was a complimentary ride int a restaurant we wanted to go to for our anniversary. It was a great ridr in an upscale car------ what would you expect! We will return if the prices dont rise too much

Friendly opulence

by TripAdvisor Member sweeneycat

Large, beautiful rooms in beautiful building on beautiful grounds. For the price I expected a snobby staff, but was happy to find they were all very friendly and happy to go out of their way to point out neat elements of the hotel ("Would you like to see the chapel? It's beautiful!").

Each room had a balcony overlooking one of the pools or the golf course. The bathroom had a little flat screen TV, a soaking tub, & a separate shower stall. You get your own pair of slippers & an expensive shower cap. We had a truly yummy lunch in the bar and then dinner in the second-best restaurant. We ate outside and enjoyed live music and a Bentley car exhibition. I wondered what the best restaurant was like.

We asked for a late check-out & they assured us we didn't have to rush. We didn't want to leave.

Comments