The Keating

Tags

Festivals
See Amenities
FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Slipping Back into Hotel Nightmare?

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Keating in 2012 for Comic Con and we had a fantastic experience with this hotel. I only found out AFTER the stay that the experience that we had was thanks to Gordon Ramsey's overhaul of the joint. We stayed again this past summer (again for Comic Con, of course) and we didn't have quite as good an experience, but it was still acceptable. I am definitely a little concerned that almost all the reviews posted on Trip Advisor for the month of August are bad... I hope they are not slipping back into their old ways.

Our first trip (2012):
Beautiful building away from the hustle and bustle of the convention center
Close to some great restaurants (Hopping Pig, Tipsy Crow) and across the street from a Starbucks.
There was a restaurant downstairs call The Merk and they had pretty good food; they were part of the hotel so our room rate included breakfast. We left a tag outside our door each night with our selections - the granola and yogurt was fantastic.
The Lavazza espresso machine... OMG, I LOVE that machine. I have a Nespresso at home; it makes decent espresso, but when I have the coffee from the Lavazza, it just makes me sad (that machine costs $800)
When we returned from the con each evening, there were plates of cookies and a popcorn machine in the lobby - they were also showing movies on the wall - a fun vibe.

Now for the not-so-great/weird:
Our room that year was on the 2nd floor, right above the lobby and the restaurants and to make it worse, I had opted for a Street View room, so we also got all the noise from the Tipsy Crow and the Irish place next door. We were there for Comic Con, which means early rising, so getting to sleep in this room was tough.
The design of the street view room was weird - the TV was in the corner and there was a chair for the desk, right in front of the TV, but nowhere else to sit but the bed.
The shower - it's clear AND there's no door. This was fine for me because my traveling companion was my husband, but I do occasionally travel with friends and I can't imagine the horror of discovering this shower in my room if I was traveling with a friend...

Now for the updates (July 2013 trip):
Having learned my lesson in 2012, when I made my 2013 reservation, I requested an interior room on a high floor - we definitely did not hear the street noise this time around. However, I think there's a family of pterodactyls living on the roof... seriously, there is some bizarre family of birds that make awful squawking in the morning - still not as bad as the street noise, though.
The peace of being this far away from the convention center is no longer... Comic Con International continues to increase the volume of attendees and now the crowds are spilling way up the Gaslamp. The crowds used to die down by Market Street and now you can't get a seat in the Hopping Pig and the Tipsy Crow on most con nights.
Which brings me to the loss of the niceties in the Keating. No more popcorn, no more breakfast (even though that was in our rate when we booked (and they made us prepay)).
That heavenly coffee machine is still there, but everything else about the room was just meh.
I didn't mind the weird concrete floors the first time around, but this time they seemed dingy-er and I didn't like walking on them.

Despite all this, I hate the Comic Con Travel Planners racket and I prefer to make my own hotel reservations, so I booked for next year. My husband and I later decided that we needed a break from the chaos of the con and we're not going back next year (they didn't force a prepay reservation this time around, so I was able to cancel). I will be closely watching reviews in 2014 before I return.

Unique Quality: Historic Building. Close to great restaurants, the Balboa theater and convenience shops like CVS.

Directions: Gaslamp District

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

San Diego Travel Forum

Need advice about San Diego, California? Visit the Travel Forum for San Diego and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest San Diego hotel reviews