The Keating

Orbitz.com Priceline.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 21% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• FatesWarn's Profile Photo

Slipping Back into Hotel Nightmare?

My husband and I stayed at The Keating in 2012 for Comic Con and we had a fantastic experience with this hotel. I only found out AFTER the stay that the experience that we had was thanks to Gordon Ramsey's overhaul of the joint. We stayed again this past summer (again for Comic Con, of course) and we didn't have quite as good an experience, but it was still acceptable. I am definitely a little concerned that almost all the reviews posted on Trip Advisor for the month of August are bad... I hope they are not slipping back into their old ways.

Our first trip (2012):
    Beautiful building away from the hustle and bustle of the convention center
    Close to some great restaurants (Hopping Pig, Tipsy Crow) and across the street from a Starbucks.
    There was a restaurant downstairs call The Merk and they had pretty good food; they were part of the hotel so our room rate included breakfast. We left a tag outside our door each night with our selections - the granola and yogurt was fantastic.
    The Lavazza espresso machine... OMG, I LOVE that machine. I have a Nespresso at home; it makes decent espresso, but when I have the coffee from the Lavazza, it just makes me sad (that machine costs $800)
    When we returned from the con each evening, there were plates of cookies and a popcorn machine in the lobby - they were also showing movies on the wall - a fun vibe.

Now for the not-so-great/weird:
    Our room that year was on the 2nd floor, right above the lobby and the restaurants and to make it worse, I had opted for a Street View room, so we also got all the noise from the Tipsy Crow and the Irish place next door. We were there for Comic Con, which means early rising, so getting to sleep in this room was tough.
    The design of the street view room was weird - the TV was in the corner and there was a chair for the desk, right in front of the TV, but nowhere else to sit but the bed.
    The shower - it's clear AND there's no door. This was fine for me because my traveling companion was my husband, but I do occasionally travel with friends and I can't imagine the horror of discovering this shower in my room if I was traveling with a friend...

Now for the updates (July 2013 trip):
    Having learned my lesson in 2012, when I made my 2013 reservation, I requested an interior room on a high floor - we definitely did not hear the street noise this time around. However, I think there's a family of pterodactyls living on the roof... seriously, there is some bizarre family of birds that make awful squawking in the morning - still not as bad as the street noise, though.
    The peace of being this far away from the convention center is no longer... Comic Con International continues to increase the volume of attendees and now the crowds are spilling way up the Gaslamp. The crowds used to die down by Market Street and now you can't get a seat in the Hopping Pig and the Tipsy Crow on most con nights.
    Which brings me to the loss of the niceties in the Keating. No more popcorn, no more breakfast (even though that was in our rate when we booked (and they made us prepay)).
    That heavenly coffee machine is still there, but everything else about the room was just meh.
    I didn't mind the weird concrete floors the first time around, but this time they seemed dingy-er and I didn't like walking on them.

Despite all this, I hate the Comic Con Travel Planners racket and I prefer to make my own hotel reservations, so I booked for next year. My husband and I later decided that we needed a break from the chaos of the con and we're not going back next year (they didn't force a prepay reservation this time around, so I was able to cancel). I will be closely watching reviews in 2014 before I return.

Unique Quality: Historic Building. Close to great restaurants, the Balboa theater and convenience shops like CVS.

Directions: Gaslamp District

More about San Diego

Street performanceStreet performance

insideinside

hotelhotel

the beachthe beach

help ! i'm looking for an apartment in SD ...

by llcoolj57120

hello,

i'm a french student and i'm gonna move to SD soon in order to study there for a couple of months.
i'm currently looking for a cool place to stay with students and all.
any recommendations ? thanks ! :)

by juliogg

Check out "the Reader" .com it has section for looking for roommates, for rooms, for apts., etc. it also has all the cool places, concerts, etc.

by lmkluque

You don't say what school you will be attending, but I'd suggest that you contact their offices and ask this question. Usually the schools have a list of off campus student residences that are appropriately priced. UCSD or SDSU may have dorm rooms to let during the summer sessions also.

Expensive, but lots of fun are the beach rentals in Mission Beach which you could find in the Vacation Rentals section of the local newspaper, "The Union-Tribune."

Good luck!

by konasunset

North Park is a great location. It is very central to everything. Downtown,beaches, Mission Valley, Balboa Park, and it has alot of restaurants, shops, and coffeehouses nearby

Travel Tips for San Diego

Entertainment Book

by olhippy

If your going with a family or with a friend it may be worth the purchase price to buy one of those Entertainment Books for the city or region your going to be staying in. Check the web for the current price as sometimes they are half price as the year goes on.

Allot of 2for1s and discounts that could save some serious money on adventure (baloon rides), dining etc...

Stay at the Hilton Hotel on...

by caribbeankid

Stay at the Hilton Hotel on Mission Bay. It has a very big sandy beach, huge swimming pool, sailboard rentals, sailboat rentals and even scuba diving lessons!
The hotel is 1st class and the best you will ever find. My fondest memory was swimming with a really hot babe in the Hilton Pool

North Harbor Drive

by seagoingJLW

We went for a walk along North Harbor Drive, where the cruise ship pier as well as the Maritime Museum are located.

We met our friends Shirley and Sonny again this year .

12/08/03
. I guess my favorite memory of any place is meeting old friends again.

University Avenue!

by lmkluque

One--city--block south of Adams Avenue is El Cajon Boulevard and one--city--block south of The Boulevard is University Avenue.

Now don't worry, my intention is not to give a tip about every street in San Diego, my intention is to give an idea of the city east of downtown and the streets I've mentioned played a big role in it's history and in expanding the boundries of the city.

Trolley tracks were laid on University Avenue in 1907 and this made an impact on the development of this area. Remember the Trolley Carbarn Park on Adams?

University Avenue grew much in the same way as The Boulevard and in much the same way University Avenue is on the threshold of becoming revived.

The trolley tracks are gone now and University Avenue is traveled by car. North Park is the community this road runs through and though it might appear, in sections, to be a seedy part of town, the community is working heard to revitalize the area and it's reputation is beginning to change. Claire de Lune Coffee Lounge
2906 University Avenue
(619) 688-9845

This modified Spanish Revival style building created in 1927 is a sample of the direction being taken by the community living along University Avenue. Reviving the past beauty and housing a community oriented business was the goal for Claire de Lune Coffee Lounge and it seems to be succeeding! Come in and see for yourself.

Center of the Mundo Bazaar

by Pawtuxet

We walked through the center of the bazaar where the greenery is so lush...you are hardly aware of all the signs and commercialism of the shops around you. Entertainment is sometimes provided in this little central area. If you love to shop and want it to be a pleasant experience...try this. Plenty of benches around for the husbands to sit and relax watching the crowds...with a bit of a breeze and perhaps a cold drink.

Comments