The Pearl

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

More about The Pearl

Loved The Pearl!!

by TripAdvisor Member ms7884

My boyfriend and I decided to take a trip to California from New York for his birthday. I am a very picky person when it comes to hotels and researched a lot of places to stay. I decided to take a risk with The Pearl based on pictures as it was still pretty new and did not have any reviews when we booked the trip. When we pulled up we were a bit disappointed with the outside of the hotel however the staff was very friendly and the room was clean. The bed was amazing!! After a 6 hour flight and dealing with a rental car place it was definitely what we needed. Our pet fish Willy was a great addition to the room and the art work was adorable. We were a little disappointed that the bathroom hadn't been updated and apparently everywhere you go in California the shower heads are really low. (We stayed one night in Hollywood) The GM was fantastic and very friendly. We went to the hotel bar one night and he made sure to come over and had a drink with us to celebrate my boyfriends b-day. Overall we loved our stay and if we were planning on going to San Diego again we would definitely stay at The Pearl!!

An adventure -- but maybe not for you!

by TripAdvisor Member SEH7

If you're looking for something completely different, can sleep through noise and don't mind sharing the pool with a flotilla of beach balls, the Pearl might be for you. It's a very hip little spot, with a jumping bar, 60's films and TV shows featured on a screen above the pool. But management really should decide whether they want to run a hotel or a night club, because the two uses don't mesh very well. Loud, pulsing music wafts through windows and doors until at least 11 p.m., the traffic noise from Rosecranz can be intense, and the place is so small that there really isn't a quiet room in the house. Staffers were very nice, but when the bar and restaurant are busy, hotel guests can take a number and get in line. On the plus side, the food is good -- regional, slow cuisine. The Pearl doesn't even own a microwave. Guests can use a computer at the front desk to check e-mail, and there's free coffee in the morning. Rates can be well below $150 a night. The furnishings are nice, the place is clean, the H20 soaps and shampoos are great, there's usually free parking in the neighborhood, and you're a short drive from the airport. There are also two coaster bikes available to guests at no charge, and you can pedal along the waterfront just a couple of blocks away. As you ride, take note of many nice looking hotels in this quiet, scenic location: Kona Kai, the Best Western and Humphrey's to name a few. If their rates are good, and you're not in the mood for "chic," you might be tempted to return the bike and check out of the Pearl.

Wouldn't recommend staying here

by TripAdvisor Member tymothy

I am in complete agreement with the review from SEH7 about this hotel. They really need to decide if they are a hotel or a night club. The staff was very friendly and helpful. But my one additional complaint would be how bad our bathroom was. The bathtub was peeling and dirty and the mold on the shower curtain was horrible.

LOVE THE PEARL

by TripAdvisor Member dutchtreat23

We stayed at THE PEARL for two nights before catching a cruise. If you are looking for some quiet R&R in the evening this is not the place for you. The rooms are groovy and modern with a bit of a retro/modern theme going on. No complaints whatsoever and they use H20 Spa products. Huge flatescreen as well.
The hotel is also a lounge/bar/restaurant which is pricey but delicious. The place gets packed and noisy at night hence the lack of silence in the evenings. I would not recommend this hotel for the traveler who has a low noise tolerance to the party scene atomostphere. The "scene" is sophiticated and trendy so it is not like a drunken bar scene. Just loud with groovy music playing.

We enjoyed our stay and would probably stay there again. Downtown is a bus ride away and if you don't have a car it may not be the place for you. It is good value for the price and worth checking out even just for a drink.

Birthday Gem

by TripAdvisor Member Seamus33

I booked this hotel for a one night stay to celebrate my wife's birthday. What a beautiful way to cap a beautiful evening. We dined downtown in the Gaslamp Quarter with many friends and arrived by limo to the Pearl. Since this was a surprise for my wife, I met with the staff earlier in the day so that I could decorate the room with flowers, rose petals, champagne and treats. The staff was friendly and very helpful. We stayed in the large room at the front of the hotel with a private balcony overlooking the pool, restaurant and hotel grounds. My wife was surprised and elated. The room is very hip and modern. The furntiure and fixtures are very stylish and appealing. The bed was a dream - we didn't want to leave in the morning! The bathroom was new and very cool. The tilework and glass shower enclosure was great. We walked to a tasty bakery and came back to lounge by the pool all morning. I even played ping pong with some other guests on the poolside table. The restaurant/bar/lounge/pool areas are connected and create a beautiful ambience. There are lots of cozy places to hang out, relax and converse with friends. We invited two of our friends to visit us and hang out by the pool. My wife and I both look forward to our next overnight stay at the Pearl. We can't wait to check out some of the other rooms as they each have unique features. Although we live in San Diego, this was a welcome retreat in our own backyard. We will be back soon to visit our new friend "Bruce Lee" the in-room beta fish!

A unique find- can't wait to return

by TripAdvisor Member Kat020

My husband and I had a wonderful stay at the Pearl and really enjoyed its quirkiness. It is noisy, no question, but if you are the kind of people who like to be in the action it is not a problem. Hotel staff were really helpful and friendly. Food is outstanding. We were able to find parking on the street as the spots available for the hotel guests are limited and are usually full. The neighbor hood is safe and residential, though so again it was not an issue to walk a block. The Pearl radio station with 24/7 groovy tunes was a nice touch.

Pros: resident fish "Jaws", clever decor, nice linens, comfortable bed, free wi-fi, nice TV, dive-in movie, great staff

Cons: a bit off the beaten track

Not for Everyone, though a Nice Stay at the Pearl

by TripAdvisor Member YetAnotherTraveler

Like those of you reading this review, we did our research prior to booking the Pearl. So, we knew that it had a funky vibe, could get loud in the evenings, and wasn't a 'in the middle of everything' type of place.

If you want to be in the heart of the action in San Diego, this probably isn't your place. Nor is it a good choice if you want a totally quiet and traditional type of hotel experience.

However, if you want a unique experience, I'd suggest the Pearl. It's not for everyone, but after our stay we decided we did like the experience and the property.

When we called, we asked for a room that was away from the noise and action. We booked the smallest room, and yes - it's definitely small. However, we were heading out on a cruise and this helped prepare us for the next week on the ship.

The Gem room was small, but nice. Large flat panel TV, couch/bed combo, and Sza Sza on the wall (Beta fish) greeted us upon entry. Simple, but it worked. The bathroom was cruise ship size, and the only real negative was the shower curtain (mold!) and what looked like a few shortcuts in refinishing the bathroom... paint was peeling and in one area some rust was starting to show through the paint. Those were the only two con's, which were more than made up for by comfy bed (very nice)! We had the fan on for some air movement, and that hummed us to sleep... didn't even hear the activity outside the door in the bar/pool area.

We took advantage of what the property had to offer. We grabbed the bus across the street for the $2 and 8 minute trip to Old Town and had a nice meal. We utilized the mini-mart next door for some ice cream treats and some liquor drinks, and grabbed some bottled water as well. The next morning, we borrowed the beach cruiser bikes and headed to Shelter Island for some breakfast at the muffin place and a nice ride along the waterfront as we watched the activity in the harbor. We could even see our cruise ship beckoning us for our coming trip to Mexico.

Staff weren't always at the front desk, though were extremely helpful. Directions, advice, and friendly conversation was the norm.

If you are rewards member of a Holiday Inn Express or Marriott, this won't be your typical stay and might not be the hotel for you. However, if you want a unique experience at a unique property, then consider the Pearl. We are glad we did.

Over rated

by TripAdvisor Member Buzzsaw2

My wife and I choose the Pearl based on the 4 star rating in Orbitz and the fact that they had a restaurant with bar. Upon arriving to the are littered with 1 and 2 star hotels we were second guessing our choice. The bar and restaurant were closed because they said Sundays were to slow to keep it open. There was no indication of this when booking. The only place to eat close by was a Jack-in-the-box. We had to switch rooms because the 1st rooms bathroom was filthy. The second room was cleaner but as we discovered the following day the bottoms of our feet very dirty from the carpet. The bathroom tile was very worn and the shower curtain had mold and mildew. The rooms were very contemporary and done in good taste but it did not make up for the other faults.

Totally NOT what we expected!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Aerochik

Chose The Pearl online while on a cruise ship - the pictures were phenomenal and looked like we were getting an AWESOME room for the price....my husband and I wanted to treat ourselves on the last night of our vacation. When we arrived, we were a little disappointed by the outside appearance - looked rundown and haggard, but agreed to check in and see the room, as we were taught not to judge things by appearances.....turned out to be NOT at ALL what we were expecting!!! It was NOTHING like what the pictures showed or what the description stated. And for $300 for one night - it was just NOT happening - we expected a plush, fancy room, and got something that looked like it was from back in the 60's or 70's (and kind of smelled like it, too)!!! We promptly checked out - for a cancellation fee of $25 - immediately after checking in. Definitely NOT our cup of tea! Might be perfect for some, but NOT at ALL for us!!! I will say that the manager and staff were very friendly, accomodating and understanding when we decided not to stay there!

Stylish, Fun, a Little Decaying in Places, Noisy, Great Bar and Restaurant

by TripAdvisor Member GMY68

I was only in town for a night, for a conference, and I wanted to stay somewhere with a little character. This place is bursting with character.

Its location isn't glamorous (it's on a noisy road, and you can hear the road noise while lying by the pool) and it's not exactly a quick stroll to the beach. But there are some lovely design touches, the staff were faultlessly friendly and helpful, and I enjoyed my stay. They have 2 cruiser bicycles, and I borrowed one to get to the beach, which was a mini-adventure (the front wheel is, um, bent and so the bike wobbles, and the route to the beach is along a crazily busy and slightly frightening major road...but I lived!).

I imagine that when this motel was freshly redesigned, it had grandeur, but this is fading in places: a little peeling paint here and there, a moldy shower curtain, and a slightly damp bedroom smell. People, time for a freshening up of the rooms! Nevertheless, the simple modernist style was great. The view from my room, overlooking someone's unkempt back yard, wasn't too inspiring.

One of the great attractions of The Pearl must be its super fun and super fabulous bar/restaurant, poolside. Food and drinks were top notch and I really had a lovely evening sitting at my poolside table watching the movie (James Bond) projected onto the side wall.

Yup, it is very, very noisy. All the reviews say this, and it cannot be denied. The acoustics are such that even if there aren't that many people by the pool at night, the voices echo loudly up to the rooms. Bring ear plugs for sure.

I hope this was a fair review. I would definitely recommend this place, particularly if you're a fan (like I am) of small, friendly, style-oriented hotels....The Pearl reminded me a little of the Hotel San Jose in Austin, or the QT in New York. It has some flaws (the radio didn't work in my room, nor did the wireless access....but the signal was strong by the pool) but all in all I had a fun time indeed. Oh, and it is very near the airport and pretty close to downtown, so the location is pretty good.

Comments