1055 Second Avenue, San Diego, California, 92101, United States

Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

Off Broadway

This is not for the budget minded. This is one of the nicest hotels in San Diego and discrete, royal, luxury is found here. Located on a side street (Second Avenue) just north of Broadway in the thick of downtown action, it sits quietly on a little used street.

To Be Continued...

Unique Quality: The Westgate Room offers elegant dining and the Plaza Bar offers entertainment in the evenings. Valet parking is really efficient and all the staff aim to please. I'm mentioning this as a place to stay especially now because though the price of a room starts at $297.00 a night they are now offering a $100,00 credit to use at the hotel. This offer is ideal for a romantic night with a loved one.

To Be Continued...

• bookworm101's Profile Photo

Old Word Service

Lovely rooms and fantastic dining (if you dislike FORMAL dining, you might want to try appetizers in the bar - which had fabulous service). Right next to the Civic Center (Opera House)

Unique Quality: Great teas and brunches

• klj&a's Profile Photo

Westgate Hotel-Great View, Great Location

Located directly across from Horton Plaza and a few blocks from Gaslamp quarter, The Westagte Hotel was a great place to stay. The room had huge doors that could be opened to a view of the city. It was great having the doors open all day and when sleeping. It had a very romantic atmosphere. If you're just looking for a place to sleep and are on a budget, this isn't the place for you. But if you're looking for a romantic atmosphere and awesome view close to shopping, nightlife and restaurants, this is a great choice.

Directions: Directly across from Horton Plaza and a few blocks from Gaslamp.

More about The Westgate Hotel

European grandeur in San Diego

by TripAdvisor Member grandtraveler

I was quite impressed with the Westgate. It was like staying in a European Palace. The rooms were large with fabulous bedding and linens. The location was very convenient. I was at a conference and chose to stay at the Westgate rather than the Wyndham Emerald Plaza, due to the reviews on this site. I made a perfect choice.

I was very surprised to see how empty the town was overall. I guess I expected a bustling typical city "scene". Not the case. The area was almost desolate at night. Horton Plaza is right across the street. I am not accustomed to the outdoor mall so I was not very impressed. It was nice to browse Nordstrom, however.

The restaurant scene in the Gaslamp area was amazing. I had gourmet Italian every night. The waterfront is about a 10 minute walk, although I did not understand the attraction. Seaport Village is a small tourist trap on the water.

The things the Westgate can do better are: more consistent water temperature in the shower, a doorman present at all times at the main entrance, the business center is weak, and the exercise room is a little depressing.

Overall, the Westgate Hotel was the highlight of my trip to San Diego. The concierge was very helpful regarding restaurants and information, and Stephan, at the front desk, was always ready to help, knowing my name from day one. He was always at the ready to help in retreiving the elevator when he saw me walk in the main door, etc.

For a really special experience stay at the Westgate. You will not be disappointed.

European flair

by TripAdvisor Member ParisDreamin'

I just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel while attending a conference in San Diego. The hotel is in an ideal location, close to restaurants, approximately a 10 minute stroll from the waterfront, and very close to the Horton Plaza mall. It is on a quiet corner of 2nd Ave, with minimal to no traffic immediately outside its front door, relatively rare in a top-notch city hotel.

The hotel exhibits a distinctly European flair, from its largely European front desk staff to its decor, both in the common areas and in the rooms therselves. The hotel vaguely reminds me of an understated (rather than opulent) European palace hotel, from the decor to the classical marble bathrooms to the European traditional fixtures in the bathrooms (sink, shower faucets, etc.) The only thing missing that would have added a further European flair to the room was a bidet. Each room is accessed after first entering a key access foyer that serves as the entry to either one or two rooms, depending on the room category. The room was spacious, although the "balcony" was tiny. The "harbour view" category of room ran me $315 per night, directly booked through the hotel, which I thought was a relatively reasonable rate, neither over- nor under-priced. The "harbor view" was basically a partial view of the water between other buildings adjacent to the hotel.

The service was efficient, although I noted that there was relatively little manpower at the hotel's front door upon my arrival at 7:00 pm or so. I essentially had to figure out that I needed to pull into an obscured parking garage under the hotel to find a valet to park my rental car. Not a big deal about the lack of doormen/bellboys, but probably not something that most would expect of a 4-5 star hotel. The valet service was fast and excellent. Room service was quite good and surprisingly reasonably priced for a hotel of this caliber. And the room service meal was served quickly.

All in all, a very good hotel experience. But I am a sucker for European hotels, and this was about as close to a European hotel experience as one will find in the US. Recommended!

Super nice stay!!!

by TripAdvisor Member MIDinPDC

I stayed at the Westgate this past January, I loved the hotel. We stayed there four nights and just loved the place. First, it's very well situated, right across the street there's a mall, I don't recall the name very well of the mall right now, but it was ok, if you ask me the Fashion Valley mall was way better. Anyhow, the rooms are pretty big and spacious. The service is really good, they are all nice. From the bellmans to the Manager on duty, they were all nice. The decoration is somehow european, you know, the big chairs, the curtains, etc, very french.
The food was great, although, I have to be honest with you, I only had breakfast there every day, we were out most of the day and ate somewhere else, but I always ordered room service. They were pretty fast, and the food was very good.
You should try this hotel.

Fantastic Hotel - Definitely Worth Staying!

by TripAdvisor Member pattiafp

I stayed at the Westgate in early March and the property if fantastic! The service is impeccable. I had to ask a question of the front desk staff my second day and they greeted me by my name. It was the same person who checked me in the day before, and I can't believe she remembered my name without any prompting from me. The rooms are VERY large and the bathrooms are very well appointed. I only experienced the banquet food, which was very good and had a great presentation. The hotel shuttle service is a great perk as well.
I'd absolutely recommend it to anyone visiting San Diego who doesn't mind being right on the waterfront.

nice stay, bad concierge

by TripAdvisor Member rosie'smom

I had a nice 3 day stay for business at the Westgate. The rooms are very nice but a little old looking. Also there is no ice machine so you have to order ice from room service. It is in a great location right near the Gaslamp with lots of restaurants and theatre nearby. Staff was nice with the exception of the concierge who was extremely rude and condescending. She would not even tell me the main art museum so I had to figure out myself to go to Balboa Park. The best almond croissants I have ever tasted in the US are across the street at St. Tropez bakery so be sure and go there for breakfast. Or as the conciege said "to the left". If I had not asked better directions I would never have found it.

View from a wheelchair

by TripAdvisor Member parfro

This is a wonderful hotel, easily accessible with willing and most helpful staff everywhere. Our room was large with a equally large marbled bathroom - double basins, higher than normal toilet, a roll in shower. If you want an adjustable height shower seat it will be provided. Plenty of grab rails, but the only problem I found was that from the corridor you have to enter a small lobby with double doors before you reach your own room. If you are on your own it could be difficult, but I am sure the staff only need a phone call to come and help,

Don't Stay at the Westgate

by TripAdvisor Member Big_Down

When we arrived at the airport, we called for the Westgate shuttle to pick us up, and were told we'd have to wait 25 minutes for the vehicle. We decided to just pay for the 5-minute cab ride (another expense-arrgghh), and were annoyed to find 2 empty shuttles just sitting there in front of the place. The girl at the front desk did not apologize, but merely explained that the shuttles only leave every 1/2 hour, regardless of need and availablity.

Then they gave us our room, which was supposed to have 2 beds, but only had one. Fortunately for us, they had FORGOTTEN to lock the doors adjoining our room to the next one. We wandered through the doors and discovered, voi-la, a 2-bed room. Why did they not give us this room to begin with? We called the front desk and asked for the room. After a ridiculous amount of explaining that we KNEW the room was available because we were IN IT, they gave us the room. I wonder what would have happened later on when they stuck the next guest in that room. Would that guest have wandered into our room? Probably.

The Westagate hotel is nestled in the middle of noisy downtown San Diego, right next to the loudest nightclub on Earth (4th and B), and just steps away from the police station. Apparently, the minimum $300/night room charge isn't enough to pay for renovations such as insulation. We paid $30 extra for a room on the 18th floor, but still got no sleep. We could even hear the sound of ordinary engines accelerating on the street below. If you are deaf, you might like it.

But then again, maybe not. The "balcony" is literally 1 foot wide, and the rooms are NOT the largest hotel rooms in San Diego, no matter what the bell boy may tell you.

We were getting this room as a gift, but we actually decided to move to another hotel and pay out of our own pockets rather than waste our vacation on anymore sleepless nights!

Biggest rooms in the States ever!!!

by TripAdvisor Member twetnall

Stayed here for 4 nights just before Christmas my best friend got married in the hotel at very last minute after being let down by another venue.

The rooms were massive and very clean. The staff were excellent on the night of the wedding we managed to leave a camera somewhere and the staff went out of their way to help and locate the camera which we did exentually find.

The only problem I have is the car parking is expensive, however I don't know of any other downtown hotel that is any different.

The only food we had in the hotel was the Beef roast we had at the wedding breakfast which was just fabulous.

Would defintely stay here again.

Good Jazz Club in San Diego? Preferably in Gas Lamp

by Dundooni

Hi Fellow VTers!

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a great jazz club in San Diego? I am going there this weekend and would love to hear some live jazz on Saturday night. It would be ideal if the club was in the Gaslamp. Thank you!!!

RE: Good Jazz Club in San Diego? Preferably in Gas Lamp

by spartan

Hi,

Try Croce's in the Gaslamp...www.croces.com

Spartan

RE: RE: Good Jazz Club in San Diego? Preferably in Gas Lamp

by lmkluque

I agree with Barry, Croce's is a great place for jazz in the Gaslamp Quarter.

You also might check out Onyx, 852 Fifth Avenue, downstairs, Tuesday nights KSDS Jazz 88.3 offers a live jazz jam with no cover charge.

Other places that offer Jazz, Latin Jazz and Brazilian Jazz various nights of the week are:
J Six Restaurant, 6th & J, Downtown,

Linda

RE: Good Jazz Club in San Diego? Preferably in Gas Lamp

by cougaraztec

Hi,

Dizzy's is a great place to go for jazz music. you can check out there website http://www.dizzyssandiego.com for their schedules. The entrance fee varies from $8-$20 depending on who's playing.

cougaraztec