723 Felspar St, San Diego, California, 92109, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Hotels.com

More about Tower23 Hotel

JRDN lacks vowels, but their food is great!

by Phalaenopsis03 about JRDN Restaurant at Tower23 Hotel

JRDN Restaurant at Tower23 Hotel was actually a serendipitous find. As Jen and I were walking along the PB (Pacific Beach) boardwalk in search of a restaurant to grab some breakfast, we stumbled upon JRDN's. By appearances, the place looked pretty hip and swanky and so we decided to give it a go. Thankfully, as eye-catching as the place was, the food was equally appealing. Again, we came here for breakfast, but I'm guessing their lunch and dinner menu is just as good. A combination of the cool atmosphere, the attentive staff, and the yummy food made this a great dining experience. I had their JRDN Traditional Benedict and Jen ordered the Baja Omelet and I must say, both were scrumptious! I think my Benedict was perhaps one of the best, if not the best eggs Benedict I've ever had. And typically, I'm not trusting of hotel restaurants, but this one's fabulous!

Great hotel for the hip crowd and couples

by TripAdvisor Member Michigander94

I stayed at Tower 23 in April, 2005 with my family (including 2 young children). It is in a great location and REALLY hip. Everything has been thoughtfully designed from the decor-enhancing honor bar offerings to the Tower 23-branded fire pit on the deck. Beds were covered with overstuffed pillows, luxurious linens, and very comfortable. Staff was very friendly but a little green. However, it may be too hip for families. No tub was a problem for washing the youngsters (they ended up loving their first showers) and the bathroom divider (a sliding door panel) did not latch--or even close all the way. Overall, highly recommended for young couples.

South Beach w/o the attitude

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay at Tower 23 and thoroughly loved it. We had a beach front "Surf Pad" and the whole ocean-facing wall was windows. More fun than the plasma TV to just sit on the balcony and watch the parade of people pass by, or the multitude of surfers catching waves...

Great bed and pillows, ground zero for PB, but noise, no problem. Loved the understated decor - nothing on the walls so the artful flower arrangements (and the sea) are what draw the eye.

We found the service (front desk, terrace servers, restaurant/bar) to be completely friendly and w/o attitude. Ate at the bar at Jrdn and had a blast. Great people watching and food.

What a fun getway. We will be back.

Susan, from Texas

still working out quirks

by TripAdvisor Member bettyz

what we liked:
the hotel itself was very modern. nice sized rooms (we stayed in a sky pad). Gorgeous terrace in the middle of the hotel. With plenty of comfy reclining chairs and chic beds. A fire pit every night by the sunset.
Amazing location! Right on the beach with the best breakfast place ever next door called Kona's. Always a line, but it moves fast and they make your breakfast before you can blink. Wonderful walking, biking, people watching. tons of surfers catching waves all day you can see right from the hotel. Great restaurants, shops, and bars along Garnet Avenue (around the corner from hotel)
La Jolla is 10 minutes up the coast. Must see the Seals in La Jolla!Downtown San Diego is 20 min away. Sea World is 10 minutes away. San Diego Zoo 20 minutes. Wild Animal Park about 40 minutes.
We loved Pacific Beach (PB)and would return to it any day.

What we didn't like:

Tower 23 is a new, hip, trendy spot. However, I must agree with some of the other reviews that the service is not up to par with the level they are trying to obtain. The restaurant is over priced. The servers put on the act of being in a high class establishment, but it's only an act.
When we sat down to dinner, we picked a few items off the menu. They were out of 2 of what we wanted. Fine. When I asked our server what Yamagobo was (an ingredient that pops up frequently on the menu) he didn't know. (it's pickled carrot) When we asked him where the clam and mussels came from, he didn't know. when we decided to share our entree, no one ever brought us extra plates, and no one asked how it was. (It wasn't that great)
Then, when we presented the server with our VIP card we were issued at the front desk upon check in, he came back about 15 minutes later and said they were opening an account for us and that is why we were waiting so long. What's the point of a VIP card then?? Really it was an excuse because he had a party of 6 people next to us. they were going to spend more money than us and he was going to get a better tip from him, so we weren't as important. And we felt it.
Having been a restaurant manager in a five star restaurant, there were too many blunders and lack of knowledge from the staff in the restaurant overall.

When we wanted room service at 11:30 pm, they had run out of most everything and only offered 3 items.

When we went to the bar, there was a very cocky obnoxious bartender. He talked to me like I was 5 when I asked a question. Didn't bother bringing us napkins when our food came out. When he saw that I got up to steal one from another table, he didn't bother bringing another one for my husband.
Forgot a large bottle of sparkling water that we ordered and much later brought a small bottle of still.
Made a comment such as "wow, girl!thirsty?" after it took me 10 minutes to drink a martini that wasn't close to full.

We would no doubt come back to Pacific Beach, we may/may not recommend Tower 23. It was too expensive for what it offered, but it's still the newest, hippest spot on the beach.

I loved it and wish I could have stayed longer!

by TripAdvisor Member travelgrrlnyc

I was in town for business and could only stay one night. Having lived in San Diego in college I was curious about what seemed to be such a great boutique hotel in P.B. I LOVED the personalized check-in. I mean...who doesn't love to go right from the valet to their room and by-pass the front desk. The rooms are great. I had the one with the semi-ocean view and you could totally see the ocean. I LOVED overlooking the bonfire. I was there on a Monday night so it was quiet and they weren't really serving food or drinks out there, but they made it totally clear that if I wanted to be served out there they would make it happen. It was fun to see people mingling in the rooms around that level. The bar is totally cute and I was able to use my wireless in there...which I love. The bar staff were the only people I didn't find totally attentive, but it was horrible or reason not to go have a glass of wine (I lved the Pino Grigio - I think they only had one choice). As noted in other reviews, the roomservice is a bit pricey, but I thought it was delicious and totally worth it. It's roomservice---when isn't it expensive. And I must admit that I had the steak and could have chosen a less expensive option. I did think the sushi menu was outrageously priced, but just avoided it. Beds and linens are wonderful. Bath ammenities are all H2O brand and lovely. Great robes with cute lifeguard stand logo on the back. Great flatscreen TVs. Great wireless. Only one note: if you are a business traveler and catching an early flight...this hotel isn't totally set up for that. Just be aware that even though your car was valeted...in the early morning hours you have to get it yourself. Not a huge deal...I just wish I would have allowed a few extra minutes for it. There are not bellman at that hour either and you will have to handle all your own luggage...which isn't so great when you are trying to negotiate the parking garage. All in all...I LOVED the Tower 23 and I totally want to return for a romantic weekend.

Hip Hotel in Pacific Beach

by TripAdvisor Member JeannieStu

Stayed at Tower23 first week in August. Was looking for an above average hotel in PB, which is very hard to come by. I was so excited when I found Tower23. It had a great restaurant and bar, which are also great places to watch the sunset if youare not staying here. We stayed in a Sky Pad and they were very spacious. We had no problems with noise, eventhough the bar was right below our room. Once we closed our patio door we did not hear anything. The toiletries were wonderful H2o Plus. The bed was very comfortable. For being a nighttime party hotel they kept it very clean. The Tower deck was moped down every morning. great views from the tower deck. Over all very happy with my experience at Tower23. Great location. Staff was also very friendly and helpful.

Great Spot

by TripAdvisor Member brevets

Tower23 is not for everyone, but for those looking for a cool, upscale retreat on the ocean in SD, it's hard to beat. The overall design is definitely a break from the norm in PB. More like South Beach hits Pacific Beach. Rooms are good sized and beds are amazingly comfortable.

Most rooms have amazing views of the ocean and have small balconies where you can take it all in. The restaurant at the hotel is excellent, and can get very busy later in the week and the weekend. Valet parking at the hotel is very easy and convenient. There's also a decent surf break in front of the hotel right next to the Crystal Pier.

My only complaints: adjoining doors between rooms, and a prevelance of "party rooms". I have no idea why they would have built ajoining doors between rooms in an upscale hotel like this. All it does is ensure that you can hear just about every noise coming from the room next door. Which brings me to my second complaint, there is alot of late night partying going on in the rooms here. It seemed that security was non-existent during our stay...in terms of keeping the post-midnight room partying under control. Even so, we didn't get too worked up about it...this basically comes with the territory here.

All in all, if you go here with an open mind and are looking to both relax and have some fun, it's hard to beat Tower23.

Fantastic experience

This is a beautiful hotel, in a great location. The staff were attentive and courteous right from the moment we had our "in-room" check in. Large rooms with great views and an amazing rooftop deck to watch the sunset. It was the highlight of our stay in San Diego without question.

What a great property for PB

What a great place to stay in PB, it's located by the all fun bars and restaurants of Mission and PB. Foot steps from the beach the pier, where you can rent body suits for boogie boarding or swimming.... A great lounge area on the second floor over looking the ocean and beach for afternoon sunning (on day beds) or drinks durning the evening hours (Amazing Sunsets)!!!

There is an awesome restaurnt where we had a great dinner and breakfast. The early reviews complain about a young staff, but isn't that what makes it hip!! It's a definate must visit if you're looking for that W feel on the beach!! Only Draw back, no pool.

Beatiful room in a great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member yogachik

This hotel doesn't have all the amenities you might expect for the price, but they make up for it with comfort, attitude, and quality. The beds are incredibly comfortable, we had an amazing night's sleep. There's no shop in the lobby, no real concierge - but there's plenty of shops in the neighborhood and the front desk people go out of their way to help you with whatever you need. The view is spectacular and the restaurant is top notch - I highly recommend eating on the Top Deck with a mojito. Everyone who works there aims to please.

Tour a battleship as seen in SD skylineTour a battleship as seen in SD skyline

via I-5via I-5

okok

cutecute

One way transportation to Disneyland Anaheim

by mattgene

Hi, How do I secure a one-way transportation for a family of 4 adults with luggagues from a hotel in San Diego's Mission Valley to Disneyland hotel in Disneyland Resort, Anaheim. Thanks

Re: One way transportation to Disneyland Anaheim

by HarmoniousBotch

The easiest way is to rent a car. There are car rental agencies in Mission Valley.

The second best is to take a cab to the SD amtrack station, take the train to the Anahaim amtrak station, then take a cab to your hotel.

Re: One way transportation to Disneyland Anaheim

by ltt

talk to both of your hotels. there are bus shuttles between the two cities. renting a car is easiest but you might have to pay a drop off fee for moving between the two cities.

Comments