Vagabond Inn Hotel Circle

625 Hotel Circle South, San Diego, California, 92108, United States

Vagabond Inn San Diego (Hotel Circle)
Orbitz.com Priceline.com Hotels.com

Costs 55% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• MonoBichi's Profile Photo

Nice stay, great deal

I hit San Diego for overnight stays to make early hospital appointments. So I'm looking for cheap, but also a kind of mini-Holiday. So far Vagabond Inn is my best find.
    It's one of the cheaper stays in the main SD county area, but offers a lot. Fridge and microwave, tub, HBO.
    TWO pools, one heated (somewhat) and a jacuzzi in the pool area.
    Friendly, helpful staff.

Right next door is an amazingly well-stocked store for food and drink and whatever else you might need in a motel. And next to that is a nice little "Americana" restaurant.

Basically, it's a good value and a nice place to spend the night.

Directions: 88 bus from Old Town goes right to the door.

More about Vagabond Inn Hotel Circle

Good hotel, you must give it a try!

by TripAdvisor Member kcwood

Toss out all the previous reviews as this hotel has done a 360! I had booked a Queen but was upgraded to a King at no extra charge upon arrival Saturday morning. The room was clean with soap, shampoo, HBO, a coffee maker with coffee and an in room safe . The shower had new tile and the water pressure was strong with plenty of hot water. The free breakfast offered many selections of dry cereal, fresh apples, fresh oranges and fresh waffles. The waffle mix was premeasured in individual containers so that the area was kept clean of spillage and there was no guessing as to how much it took to make a waffle. Fresh orange juice was offered our first morning with apple cider the next. The people at the front desk were very welcoming with Leo making sure I received my messages that had been left at the front desk when I drove in to the hotel later Saturday evening. Since the parking lot was full by the time I returned to the hotel that evening he had me park in the "office" section in front of the Lobby which was still close to my room. The 2 pool areas were very well kept and we even sat poolside on Sunday and enjoyed a cocktail we had bought at the nearby mini mart. The hotel is very easy to get to from the 5 (just a short trip on the 8) and very close to the Zoo and Old Town as well as other local attactions. Pets are welcome as well as children :o) but though I saw them I did not hear them nor did I hear anyone in either room above me or next to me. I usually do not stay on the bottom floor and even though my room was near the stairs it was really quiet. I have stayed at many hotels here in the US and in Europe and I say this could be upgraded from a 2 star. I recommend The Vagabond Inn San Diego (Hotel Circle) and will stay again in the future.

Dirty, Bugs, Unreal

My family and I went online to find a hotel in San Diego. We found the Vagabond Inn website. The rooms looked nice and clean. Boy, were we wrong! It was soo dirty! The beds had stains and so did the sheets. The sheets had holes and the mattresses were falling apart! The floor was sticky and the bathrooms were so disgusting. They didn't even have half of the things they advertised on their website. We were looking behind the beds and television and discovered white bug repellent. Yes, they have bugs! I wouldn't recommend anyone there. We were so disappointed! Can you believe they even tried to over charge us?

power problems

by TripAdvisor Member sandchic

Overall the room was clean. On Saturday night there was a power outage on just one side of the hotel. We of course were on that side. We were given a lame excuse and that it would be on by midnight. In the morning it wasn't on yet and we were told they were not offering any kind of compensation. The manager gave us a phony website to the electric company for them to refund our money. Also in the room next to us had bug problems. I will not stay in this hotel again nor would I recomend it to anyone.

Clean but overpriced with a disgusting breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member bholst

Stayed 3 nights in July. Paid 97$ for a room with a king bed. The room was clean (but simple) and the noise from the freeways was not a problem. But the room was not worth the money and the "continental" breakfast was a bad joke. No bread, no muffins, no danish, no egss, no cereals no nothing

Unprofessional, Complete Lack Of Security & Hospitality

by TripAdvisor Member dinner8

After a very disappointing series of phone calls, emails and letters to the President of the hotel chain, this matter is still unresolved. During a recent 5 day stay , my room was ransacked and my personal belongings were stuffed into paper bags and dirty boxes without my consent due to a clerical error from the housekeeping department. The staff claimed that I was scheduled to check out, but made an error on the day I was to leave, and cleaned out my room and locked me out. They did extend my stay the additional night, then had the audacity to over charge me at the current rack rate ! My reservation specifically stated a 5 day stay. I appealed to the manager, General Manager and finally had to contact the President to resolve the matter. It took 5 weeks to finally receive a letter of apology, but failed to do anything more than refund the difference of my reservation price and the rack rate. The lack of professionalism and customer service makes this hotel an embarrassment the the chain and the City of San Diego, DO NOT support or patronize this hotel. You will be immensely disappointed.

currently not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member azcurt

checked in the day before new years eve. check in was smooth, the room was all the way in the back which was an abandon foundation and hillside with a couple of homeless camps on the side of the hill.
the shower was almost impossible to control the water temp, i'm talking .001mm movements between scalding hot and freezing. then when we got it where we wanted it was only a "spit" of water coming out.
understandable it was a holiday weekend so the place was noisy and had traffic coming and going all night both nights but new years eve we came back to several police cars blocking the in drive and two young ladies hiding by our room watching the police search a room upstairs. granted they could have been just curious girls watching the commotion since the police drove by and just glanced at them.
they say they are in a major renovation so maybe you should just wait till they are done before spending 60+ bucks on a room.
on the plus side it is VERY close to a lot of attractions! and a easy on/off the I-8.

At least it's clean!

by TripAdvisor Member jetlagnow

I thought the Vagabond was okay. The room was clean. The people that run the place seem nice. The free breakfast was at least adequate (coffee, fruit, waffles). Not bad. There are two swimming pools (which is a plus if you want some privacy and don't want to be with a group at one pool). The drawbacks were: they should put double pained glass on the windows and better security windows. When I walked into the room, the window lock was open. There is a vibe in this part of the valley that it isn't 100% safe -- which is why the easy-open windows and balconies seem a bit unsafe.

BUT... having said this, I spent the night in another hotel that was a block away and it was MUCH worse than the Vagabond. (It was the King's Inn -- which by comparison is a total dump and was about $30 to $40 more expensive). The Vagabond by comparison seemed like Shangri-la because it was CLEAN and it actually HAD a free breakfast and GOOD service. It isn't a high-priced hotel and not something for people who are used to first class accomodations. But it is a bare-bones hotel for someone who just wants to have a place to sleep for a reasonable price. I would rate it a C+ or B- for its price range. Not bad.

Gross!!!Gross!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member pissedoffpete

My wife and I stayed at this dump in Febuary and we had booked at this Hotel because the pictures on the internet seem to have had nice large rooms and great decor and over all it looked super clean, well WRONG! when we got to the room the first thing we notice an unpleasant smell sort of a urine smell the tub had moled around it YUK! but if you think it ends here NO WAY! the carpet turn my wife's sock black in an instant.. The t.v. control did not work we called the front desk to give us a better control and came back half an hour latter. and to top things right when we were about to go to sleep we pulled the sheets out and notice that the mattress had urine stains and blood stains DISCUSTING!!! after looking at all this I went straight to the office demanding a refund and the person was very rude and refused to help me in any way they could not change rooms because the were booked and funny how there were only 15 cars parked and they had a no refund policy regarless I was paying $90 I ask to talk to the manager they gave me a telephone number so I called and a kid!! answer the phone!!! can you believe this?? the two times I called the same kid answer the phone I ask for his name and said his name was dersean I told the person about this madness and they said that was the right number so I told them to call them selves and they refused. so just to SAVE YOU!! from this DUMP DON"T even think about staying here trust me just sleep in your car if it's necessary this place is a money stealing place they will rob you and give you the finger and tell you don't let the door knob hit you on the way out!!

Great Property, Great Staff, Great Stay!!!

by TripAdvisor Member C-GarTom

I am a business traveler, and travel throughout California. I always stay whenever possible at a Vagabond Corporate Owned Property. Whenever I am down in San Diego on business I always choose the Mission Valley property...Sometimes even though another property may be closer geograpically to the area of my appointments, I will always choose Mission Valley " First ". The location is very central and close to everything where I need to be...especially for the " downtime " activities ( in the heart of Hotel Circle, 5 minutes from Old Town, off of the Interstate 8 Fwy, near Interstates 5, 163, 805 Fwy's etc. ). The rates are always reasonable ( I've never had an expense report bounce back! ). The property is always in tip top shape, the exterior and rooms are always fresh and extremely well maintained. Leo the Night Manager always accommodates, and is on top of things ( insures that I get checked - in event if I arrive later than anticipated ). House Keeping always performs well and sets the room in " squared away " shape. The Morning desk always gets me checked - out promptly and with smiles! I'll keep coming back!

Thx!

Thomas W. Borgata, CFA
Sr. Partner / Principal
Insurance and Financial Services
Glendora, CA

BUNCH OF B/S!!!

by TripAdvisor Member CuteKatie

LISTEN PEOPLE!!! If the previous reviews tell you to stay AWAY from here! Please stay away!!! I stayed at this place for a business trip. And the lobby looks great,,it looks nice and clean and big, BUT the people running it. are a bunch of phonies. first of all I had made a confirm reservation at $89 a night for two nights and when I got there they told me they had not such confirmation number and I did not appear in their system. So not only I didn't had a reservation, but they had one last room non-smoking king size that would cost me $149.95 a night. what a bunch of B/S!! so knowing that I was probably not going to find any rooms out there I took the room. but here is the following:
-A non-smoking room (reaked of smoke smell)
-Tub had hair!
-The Blanket smelled like others people's feet!!
-Face towel had black spots
-The mini fridge in the room made noise all night.
-And to top things all night people were screaming in the pool.
- And a waffle breakfast please!!! not the greatest breakfast in the world!!
And I also contacted AAA to inform them about the disscusting, phony, place they are approving.
So Im Warning you! STAY AWAY FROM HERE! I hope you won't be the next person to write a negative review about this place. Just stay at a Hilton or Marriot even if you have to pay 3 times more than this dump. trust me it would be worth every penny.

View of Horton Plaza (Nordstrom is FAB)View of Horton Plaza (Nordstrom is FAB)

roosevelt hotelroosevelt hotel

huhhuh

photo opphoto op

Anything 'Special' Happening?

by Gillybob

I'll be staying in San Diego from 6 - 11 November and was wondering if there are any events happening during my stay that locals would suggest to see/do?

I've posted a meet for Saturday evening, 8 November but the rest of my time is free till I head home on Tuesday.

Re: Anything 'Special' Happening?

by Farang27

Check out this website. this is the sort of what's happening publication for sd. www.sdreader.com

Re: Anything 'Special' Happening?

by lostsooner55

You might wish to visit : www.whatsonwhen.com. It's a world-wide site, so it may come in handy at a later date as well. Also: www.balboapark.org, and: www.gaslamp.org. You might wish to look at the Hotel Del Coronado web site as well: www.hoteldel.com. There have been scenes from several movies filmed there, and they have a very good Sunday Brunch. Gary

Comments